1st Trimester

What to eat when nauseous

dsrt16dsrt16 member
edited April 2021 in 1st Trimester
I'm lucky that I've never thrown up in any pregnancy. But I'm losing weight in this one because I'm so nauseous (more than I've been with any pregnancy) that I can't eat much. 

After a week of eating something that works, it will no longer work and makes me sicker just thinking about it. So here is the food I can no longer eat that I used to be able to:

Mashed potatoes
Bananas 
Rice with butter
French fries
Toast
Bagels with cream cheese
English muffins
Jello
Italian ice
Anything with lemon or ginger
Buttered noodles
Pancakes
Oatmeal
Cream of wheat
Smoothies
Applesauce
Protein drinks
Jolly ranchers
Pretzels
Condensed vegetable soup
Plain yogurt with granola
Soda
Sparkling water 

I've never been able to do any meat, vegetables other than corn and peas, or anything peppermint. 

I dont know what else to try. I've had nothing all day except v8, saltines, and eggs. 

I can usually handle breakfast since I'm not that nauseous in the morning. But after that, all my things that worked are gone, and I have no idea what to try next. I thought maybe pho noodles, but have no idea. I think ramen noodles are too strong ... at least the smell is, so I've never tried them.

I'm so so hungry right now, but I can't think of anything to eat. 

Re: What to eat when nauseous

• dsrt16 said:
    I'm lucky that I've never thrown up in any pregnancy. But I'm losing weight in this one because I'm so nauseous (more than I've been with any pregnancy) that I can't eat much. 

After a week of eating something that works, it will no longer work and makes me sicker just thinking about it. So here is the food I can no longer eat that I used to be able to:

Mashed potatoes
    Bananas 
    Rice with butter
    French fries
    Toast
    Bagels with cream cheese
    English muffins
    Jello
    Italian ice
    Anything with lemon or ginger
    Buttered noodles
    Pancakes
    Oatmeal
    Cream of wheat
    Smoothies
    Applesauce
    Protein drinks
    Jolly ranchers
    Pretzels
    Condensed vegetable soup
    Plain yogurt with granola
    Soda
    Sparkling water 

I've never been able to do any meat, vegetables other than corn and peas, or anything peppermint. 

I dont know what else to try. I've had nothing all day except v8, saltines, and eggs. 

I can usually handle breakfast since I'm not that nauseous in the morning. But after that, all my things that worked are gone, and I have no idea what to try next. I thought maybe pho noodles, but have no idea. I think ramen noodles are too strong ... at least the smell is, so I've never tried them.

I'm so so hungry right now, but I can't think of anything to eat. 

Sorry that you’re not feeling well! It’s very hard to be hungry but not have an appetite for anything. I would recommend reaching out to your provider for their advice/possible medication to help with nausea.
  • I'm on zofran already, which does make the nausea less intense. But I just cant eat much. They are having me try promethazine now. Then thry will put me on iv fluids if my ability to eat doesn't improve in the next 2 days. I dont know what else to try eating though and hoped others had ideas I havent thought of.
  • Loading the player...
  • @dsrt16

I noticed your food list was pretty bland. It might be worth trying something more flavorful. Sounds weird, yes, but... I had pretty bad nausea through at least 14-15 weeks, and then mild nausea the rest of the time and I actually found I could eventually tolerate things like curry, taco meat/nachos, spaghetti, pizza, etc. For me, I think it was the tomato-y flavor, so anything like that I could eat. I also ate a lot of oranges and sauerkraut 🤷‍♀️ 

And also make sure you try to eat constantly, versus spacing out meals. Hunger fueled my nausea so I never let myself be hungry. 
  • edited April 2021
    @dsrt16 hmmm I agree with what @pajamstagrams said. A lot of people can only do bland food but for some like me I really liked vinegar or acidic things. I would eat rice a lot. Avocado/guac. Hummus. Cereal. Cheese. Crackers (try some with flavor?) Sliced Cucumbers with roasted red peppers, cheese, and balsamic. Pickles . Donuts/rice krispy treats, Chicken broth/soup. Some days all that seemed good was apples and peanut butter. I did lose 8 lbs between 7 and 16 weeks because I wasn’t eating as much, And I never vomited either. I had a meat aversion for about 3 weeks and avoided it but one day I just decided to try it again and was able to eat it. (i worked in a restaurant) Maybe try walking through the grocery store or looking at recipes online and seeing if anything sounds good? Wish I could help more. But I think I just found something I could stomach and ate the same thing every day lol

edited to add: a lot of the BMBs have threads about what they’re eating/can stomach. So maybe try looking there for other ideas? I just went back to look at mine and One thing I missed was grapes lol