October 2021 Moms

COVID Vaccine plans

2»

Re: COVID Vaccine plans

• So jealous of all of you who have been able to get appts! OH opened up to pregnant women on 3/4 I think, and I still cannot get in anywhere  :(
  • They were giving Pfizer, and my arm was pretty sore yesterday and today. I took some Tylenol this morning, but I haven't had any fever or other symptoms. However, I'm told shot #2 can knock you down pretty hard.
  • Loading the player...
  • I got my first shot on 3/4 at 7w3d. I had a low fever for a couple of days and I don't know if it was the shot or the first tri but I was incredibly tired the next 10 days. 
    My husband got his second dose on Sunday and he was kinda flu like but fine. 
  • @wishingforsnow I agree. I took Tylenol too after because I know a prolonged fever is more harmful. I think the no antipyretic idea came from previous vaccines wherein immune response was suppressed. But this is different technology perhaps.
  • I got my appointment for April 19th! I wanted to be solidly in 2nd Tri just in case of any fever.

DH got the first available Tuesday appointment, was so excited for it, showed up this past Tuesday, and was told he actually made the appointment for April 13th! Hahaha, I told him he had pregnancy brain.
  • I got an appointment for my husband today and still waiting for the April slots to open to try to get one for myself.  I decided to wait until the second trimester so hoping that I get it scheduled for April sometime this week. 
  • My pharmacy had a cancellation so I got my first Moderna dose today! 
  • vampirinavampirina member
    edited March 2021
    My state just opened eligibility to everyone 🎉 and now I'm wondering if I should just wait until I'm in the second tri to get it? It's so close, only 2 weeks away (and tbh I might not be able to find an appointment until then anyway). Just curious how others are approaching it as we leave the first trimester - are you waiting for 2nd trimester or just getting it now? 

ETA: I work from home and go out very in the world very little, so I feel my risk of actually getting the virus is fairly low....
  • @vampirina I was going to wait but my OB said it didnt matter so I got mine at 7w. Don't wait to make the appointment. We are booking into May right now. 
  • @demimondaine thankfully, they only allow you to book out a week at a time here (since Vax availability fluctuates each week a little bit), so I don't really need to worry about booking now for an appointment 6 weeks from now!

But that's good to know! I forgot to ask my provider about the timing of it all. 
  • I was tentatively planning to wait until I was out of the first trimester (4 more weeks), but I had a change of heart. I found some appointment openings this morning and jumped on them. I'll get my first shot Friday, when I'll be 10 weeks on the dot, second shot at 13 weeks. Covid cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are all increasing again, and I decided I'd rather get the protection sooner rather than later. 
  • @vampirina +1 for my doctor telling me that it didn't matter when. I was nervous about any sort of fever reaction, which I have not had. Got my 1st dose Thursday.
  • cjl3000cjl3000 member
    edited March 2021
    I haven’t had enough time to sit with my OBGYN (at my first prenatal appt I forgot, because she kept trying to leave before I could get more questions in), but my friend’s husband who is a family doctor that works with L&D says they are recommending the vaccine after the first trimester.  He spent a lot of time with me to explain how the vaccine works and why there is minimal worry about risks to mom and baby.  He said the “moderna arm” that everyone’s complaining about (severe pain in arm after being vaccinated) is due to the vaccine doing all of its work in the muscle of the arm at the injection site.  It is not doing its work throughout the body and near the baby, nor does it cross the placenta.  I believe our antibodies do though, once our body is immune. 

I am not explaining this as well as he did but it greatly helped my fears of the vaccine. He explained how the speediness of the vaccine that was created is due to money - due to the world crisis , money was pumped into these studies and the labs were given everything they needed to do all the work required. As someone who worked in biolabs in college that makes sense to me, as funding is always the main obstacle to getting work done . Lots of progress can be made in days and weeks once you have everything you need. Plus, the labs did not need to go through the six steps consecutively to create viable vaccines (before finding which vaccine was ready for human trials), all teams were able to work at the same time on their processes and with the knowledge of previous coronavirus strains, they were able to more quickly find/create the vaccine that worked how it’s supposed to and then move on to preparing it for human  trials.  

He said the risk of having covid during pregnancy and all the effects that has is worse than the possible risks of the vaccine. He also recommended that spouses get it too ASAP, as further protection for us moms and baby. 

Hope this info helps you as it did me! 
  • Didn’t realize I didn’t have a username! The knottie post just now was me CJL3000.  If anyone has more info or corrections on what I posted please reply.  All info is so important right now 💜