August 2021 Moms

April Healthy Habits

Pick any or all or none of the following things to check-in with:
  • What healthy habit have you embraced today? 
  • Share your healthy habit goals for the next few days.
  • If you have a Peloton or other at-home workout equipment, what are some favourite instructors or specific routines/classes?
  • What apps or videos have you enjoyed or found easy to stick to in life during varying levels of quarantine/lockdown/stay-at-home orders?
  • Cheer others on!

Re: April Healthy Habits

• I finally gotten back into a workout routine. Goal is barre 4x a week, daily walks (which I have to do for my dog so that one is easy) and then one long walk on the weekend so I can at least walk this dang half-marathon I'm signed up for.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm setting a goal to hit my 500th ride before the baby comes. I'm currently at 443, so doable as long as I get my weekly workouts in. It's definitely getting hard to spin with this big belly. I'm doing my best to listen to my body and make adjustments as needed.

@pickle-chips I've heard great things about the Calm app. I'll have to check it out. Also, yay for therapy! 
  • @pickle-chips, I’ll join you for a step challenge! Did you have anything particular in mind?

what an awesome goal @surrenderdorothy! I hope you make it and good luck!

@dancingnarwhal, when is your race?

For my April habits: I signed up for a 1% challenge on Strava today that starts April 5th.  The premise is that 15 minutes is only 1% of your day.  So the challenge is to complete 15 or more minutes of exercise 5 days a week, for 4 weeks. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @loloyoyo26 yay! I didn’t really have anything too exciting in mind—just hitting 10,000 steps per day (I had originally thought 8,000 because I have been averaging much less, but I got in 10,860 steps today so why not go big!).

But if there was a specific step goal you had in mind, we could also just work towards making each of our own goals and check back in here! 

Good luck with the first day of your 1% challenge! 🎉

@surrenderdorothy 443! You’re so close. You’ve got this! 
    @dancingnarwhal I’m also curious about when your half marathon is? 
  • @loloyoyo26 how did you get on today?

I hit 12,015 steps! So now I’m plopped down on the couch with a hot cocoa. 
  • @pickle-chips, me!!!! 
    Pre-baby, I was working out 4-5 times a week...and then stopped cold turkey. And started eating ALL the things. DH and I have already decided that after Easter weekend, we're getting back to our clean eating and exercising routines. We've both become pretty gluttonous lately. Between multiple bouts of COVID in our house, and some other more heavy stuff, eating/being lazy have become our coping mechanisms. I'm ready to nip that! 
  • @loloyoyo26 @pickle-chips It’s virtual so I can pretty much do it when I want. I actually signed up for this last year but they postponed it because of covid and then this year decided to just make it virtual. So I’m hoping to do it at the end of this month. I’d like to finish it before I’m in the 3rd trimester. 
  • @loloyoyo26 how did you get on today?

I hit 12,015 steps! So now I’m plopped down on the couch with a hot cocoa. 
    Friday I was catching up on grading and computer work while it was cold and windy, then lifted as my workout for the day so I only got to 10,538.  Yesterday was warmer and sunny, I worked on catching up on cleaning/laundry, worked in my flower beds and then DD asked for a walk so I got to 13k. Today I’ve been resting but since it was even warmer and still sunny we did outdoor Easter with my family.  We hid eggs a few times so I got more steps, but I likely won’t hit 10k. 

Good luck inside today with freezing rain + indoor steps!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @pickle-chips, just checking in.  How have your steps been coming along?

Thanks for the motivation to pick my activity up! I’ve been keeping up with my 10,000 steps so far.  Hopefully it stays that way. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Good! I've hit at least 10,000 steps every day since April started.

I'm also finding the accountability really helpful. On Wednesday, I only had 4,000 steps by the time bedtime was done and I was so tempted to just crash into bed myself. But I made myself get out for a long walk with an audiobook and hit my goal! It was a beautiful evening, so it was really nice to get out and enjoy it rather than laying in bed scrolling my phone mindlessly. 

I am also finding I'm much more conscious of getting up to move and taking breaks. Go team!!
  • @loloyoyo26 how are you going with your goal? I’m still on my 10K step streak! I’ve had a few more 4K days, but managed to get myself out the door for evening walks—I don’t want to let you down! I’m still trying to move more throughout the day, but I am really enjoying having a long solo walk to decompress from the day.

• @pickle-chips, I’m still doing well also! Last Saturday (4/10) was my only day that I didn’t hit my step goal because my legs were feeling dead- I just couldn’t do it and ended up missing 10k by a little less than 1,000 steps. I did yoga that day for my 1% challenge though, so I had movement just not steps.  I’ll take it though since my legs felt better the next day.  

That’s awesome that you are getting mental recharge as a bonus! So far I’ve hit my goal this week, and I feel like I have been gaining more energy so I’ve been getting more steps with the little bits I’ve been pushing myself with.  I walked, ran, lifted, and plan on some more yoga this week for activities.  
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @loloyoyo26 good for you for still moving your body! I didn’t hit 10,000 yesterday, just over 5,000. I could say that it was the rain that made it difficult to get out (it was pouring for a lot of the day), but honestly I was just having a bad day and wanted to be in bed 🤷‍♀️.

Do you go to yoga classes? Wing it? Or use videos? Any good prenatal yoga recs?
  • I've been doing 15 minute weights workouts on Open Fit the past week or two and it's awesome. 15 minutes doesn't *feel* like a big time commitment, but it always kickstarts me to do a second 15 minute class. I do some modifications if the belly gets in the way, but for the most part I've been able to follow everything!
  • @pickle-chips, I got my group fitness instructor certification a couple years ago so I’ve just been putting together my own stuff since quarantine.  I really miss classes because I don’t push myself enough during sessions or often enough to get benefits like I used to. On my own, I usually do sun salutations as a “base” then add more onto it for things I need, like hip openers.  

Since my belly has gotten bigger I’ve been avoiding chaturanga/cobra/upward dog because of how it makes my belly feel.  I’ve been going from plank to down dog or a lunge/warrior sequence to skip it.  You could probably do chaturanga to child’s pose but I don’t trust my arms enough to keep my belly high enough right now. 

Yesterday was a low day- I took a 2 hour nap after days of getting more than my 10k step goal for the past 7 days.  My body just needed the rest and I have to remember to honor that if I want to be able to keep moving.

I saw your check in post- sending you love and light still, since I still hadn’t posted this before responding there. 

@bourbonbiscuits, that’s awesome!   
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Hi @pickle-chips and @BourbonBiscuits! I hope this week went well for you! I had one low day where I don’t get to 10k but to be what my body is needing and/or the universe is letting me know I need because it’s happened every week for the past month.  

My low day this week was Wednesday, which was a crazy day anyway.  I spent the day grading, then was on my way out of my building to take a nice walk before the craziness of home when campus was put on lockdown for a short while to find students who had been fighting, with a gun involved, and make sure it was an isolated situation.  I didn't get to walk before having to leave work, then lost all of my motivation by the time I got home.  🤦🏽‍♀️

One more week of the 1% challenge but I’m really enjoying it so I think I’ll see how long I can keep the streak up past this month. My sister doesn’t use Strava but is also trying this challenge so that is some extra accountability. 
    Pregnancy Ticker