Weeks 3-4 (8/15-8/31) Check-in 3/28

Estimated Due Date/Weeks + Days:

Team Green/Pink/Blue/Finding Out:

Interesting Baby Fact/Baby is the size of:

Upcoming appointments:

How are you feeling?:

Rants/Raves:

Questions:

GTKY: Growing up, what was your dream job?

Re: Weeks 3-4 (8/15-8/31) Check-in 3/28

• Loading the player...
  • Estimated Due Date/Weeks + Days: 19 weeks today! 8/22

Team Green/Pink/Blue/Finding Out: 💙

Interesting Baby Fact/Baby is the size of: mango

Upcoming appointments: AS on April 7th

How are you feeling?: pretty good.  Multiple BH contractions throughout the day though.  Make me feel like the wind is knocked out of me.

Rants/Raves: cannot believe I’m halfway there!!  

Questions:

GTKY: Growing up, what was your dream job? Being a chef.

@litzi-2 just feeling sporadic movement.  I definitely have to be laying still to feel anything.  I have an anterior placenta so that could be muffling some of it.

• @obsessedwithoranges I'm so sorry 😞 prayers that everything goes well with this pregnancy and the LO stays put until it's time! 
  • Estimated Due Date/Weeks + Days: August 27/18 + 4

Team Green/Pink/Blue/Finding Out: Pink

Interesting Baby Fact/Baby is the size of: An Artichoke

Upcoming appointments: Had a check-up this morning and I have an anatomy scan in mid-April.

How are you feeling?: Good but acid reflux is ramping up. Any suggestions for minimizing that are welcome!

Rants/Raves: I very abruptly got sent back to working full-time in the office this week, and I am not happy about it at all. Literally the only upside is this has definitely resolved any hesitancy I was feeling about staying home after the baby comes, because if I'm this upset to leave my house now I can only imagine it'd be much worse for me then.

Questions: So, my doctor talked to me a little today about how my history of high blood pressure means they are going to want to induce me early, and I'm wondering if anyone else has been in this boat. I was diagnosed with high BP with no apparent cause (no lifestyle factors, genetic history etc.) about four years ago, and after some initial resistance to medications it's been well-controlled since then (even when I haven't always been super diligent about staying on top of my meds, tbh). It's been excellent this entire pregnancy and I'm just really bummed that it seems like merely having that history seems to mean I'm automatically going to need an induction, no matter what the actual state of my BP is when the time comes. My doctor basically said they aren't going to let me go past 39 weeks even if my numbers are fine at that point- does anyone with knowledge of this kind of thing think that's something I can/should push back on? Obviously at the first sign my BP is getting high I would happily be induced, but I also feel like if I don't need that I don't want it.

GTKY: When I was really small (like preschool age) I wanted to be an archaeologist. Never really had a dream job since then... I decided I was a work-to-live rather than live-to-work kind of person pretty early, haha.

@pickle-chips that's so exciting about the cat! I have a Dyson (v11, I think?) and they are expensive but I love mine- I have two long-haired cats and a very big dog, so it's worth it.

@litzi-2 I'm definitely feeling her daily but it's not all day- more like I usually get a few flutters when I'm lying down in bed every night. I'm pretty sure my placenta is in a position that's more conducive to feeling the baby kick (I always get the terms mixed up).

@emily1052 being a chef would be so fun! I'm not nearly creative enough but I love all things cooking and food... maybe I should have dreamed of being a sous chef, haha.

@emmylou78 enjoy your trip! We have an indoor water park here in town and I've never been, I've always meant to check it out.

@grogu sorry you're still dealing with not feeling so good, what a pain. Has that continued your entire pregnancy in the past?

@cyanope that's so cool that you've been consistent in what you've wanted to do for so long (and even cooler that you still love it... it'd really suck if you wanted to do something since childhood and then were like "ugh this actually isn't for me," haha).

@cocoliso13 aww, I hope you're able to enjoy your pregnancy more as it goes on, definitely easier said than done though. Fingers crossed for good news today!

@obsessedwithoranges that's so tough, I really hope things go more smoothly for you this time! Sending good thoughts.

@loloyoyo26 bahaha, I like the process-of-elimination approach to dream jobs... makes a lot of sense actually!

• grogugrogu member
    @the_most_happy yep, I was sick until at least 30 weeks with DD. UGH 
    I would push back on the induction. Get a blood pressure monitor for home and just keep a close eye on it. They work for you and cannot make you do anything. It isn't like they will show up at your house and drag you to L&D 

@obsessedwithoranges I hope baby stays put and things go smoothly until delivery!
  • @the_most_happy
    This is what I found when I did a quick search: ACOG suggested the following approach for delivery of women with chronic hypertension:

•≥38+0 to 39+6 weeks of gestation for women not requiring medication

•≥37+0 to 39+0 weeks for women with hypertension controlled with medication

•34+0 to 36+6 weeks for women with severe hypertension that is difficult to control

I'm probably going to induce at about 39 weeks just for precipitous labor so I hopefully dont have the baby at home/ parking lot/ etc. If anything else comes up I would induce sooner. I figure pregnancy isn't perfect and I'd rather have more interventions (that may not be necessary, but its impossible to know) than put myself/ baby at risk. Pregnancy is hard and there isn't always a "right" decision for a lot of things.

• @grogu yeah that's exactly what my H said, he's like "they can't force you to be induced" and I'm like "... are you sure?" Haha. I just get so nervous about being seen as defiant or difficult, but I guess this is the time to do it!

@litzi-2 yeah, I'm definitely in the "controlled with medication" category so I do understand why my doctor is pushing this- it's best practices based on the average patient in my position. But I guess I'm kind of like... I'm not an average, I'm an individual, you know? It's totally true that the statistical likelihood is that I, as a woman with a history of hypertension, will experience preeclampsia by the end of my pregnancy and therefore the general recommendation is to induce early. And if I do experience that at all, I will totally be on board with taking action! But I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the necessity of intervening in the (admittedly unlikely!) case that I show up to the doctor at 39 weeks and my BP is 120/80. I guess I just have to decide how much I want to fight if it does come to that.
  • @the_most_happy i hear ya. i wonder if they would feel better if you were taking your BP at home daily or something? i'm not sure if there is a higher risk for complications even with controlled BP? no idea.
  • EDD: Aug 22nd/19 +2 

Team Blue

I have an appointment on Friday to get my covid vaccine and the anatomy scan is April 6th.

I'm feeling pretty crappy because my doctor thinks I have either a kidney stone or UTI and I am waiting for the results of the urine culture. Also I feel really fat and don't feel like leaving the house. 

My dream job growing up was to be a traveling archeologist like Indiana Jones and to be an interpreter who speaks 5 languages lol

• @the_most_happy I don't think it's just pre-eclampsia risk, though that's definitely increased. Just quick googling shows papers on increased risk of fetal growth restriction, abruption and etc. Obviously you'll be monitored for all of this and you'll have the discussion with your doc. They can't drag you to L&D. Also, with the data from the ARRIVE trial the previous thoughts about unfavorability of induction at 39 wks is going away I think. I would try not to worry about it at this point - who knows how we'll feel by the time 39 wks rolls around and it's middle of August??
  • I keep thinking I actually answered the post...

Estimated Due Date/Weeks + Days: 18+1?

Team Green/Pink/Blue/Finding Out: ..

Interesting Baby Fact/Baby is the size of: Avocado? Or was that last week? This poor 2nd child. 

Upcoming appointments: AS and OB visit on 4/16

How are you feeling?: better! I'm no longer passing out at 8pm and waking up at 4am. Dreams are weird and vivid. Still no appetite/craving but eating ok. 

Rants/Raves: mmmmmmmm not much interesting things. We've got full on bedtime boycott going on so lots of tears at nights. Will probably transition to toddler bed so worried about that. 

Questions: oh I guess maybe any recs on toddler bed transition?

GTKY: Growing up, what was your dream job

Wanted to be a doctor (or an archeologist like @air_in_april)

• @litzi-2 I actually have a good BP cuff at home already so that's a good idea to mention to them and see if they would feel more comfortable if I'm monitoring between check-ups (which I also didn't realize will be twice a week after 32 weeks... is that because I'm high risk or is that the norm for everyone?).

@hannelorre yeah definitely, I'm hesitant to push on this because I'm going to feel so silly about making a big deal of it now if I either 1) end up with issues that make induction clearly necessary or 2) just don't feel as strongly about it by the time we get to the end. That's comforting to know about the ARRIVE data too!
  • @the_most_happy I'm in Canada so my response might not matter for comparison, I'm considered low-risk and I have appointments every 2 weeks starting at 34 weeks and then every week starting at 38 weeks. So an appointment at 34 weeks, 36 ,38 , 39, 40...
  • @hannelorre, how old is your toddler? I am team "crib for as long as humanly possible," so I may not be the best source, but we transitioned DD right at 3 (only because her little brother needed it), and DS is still in a crib. He turned 3 in January. We will probably transition him in the next couple of months.
    When I did transition DD, we just hyped the HECK out of it. Made it seem like the most exciting thing in the world. I showed her the beds I liked and let her make the final decision. Same thing with the bedding. We never had any issues. Mainly (I think) because she was so "old." She understood that she needed to stay in her bed and we never had the issue of her getting out over and over again.
    I also highly recommend foam bumpers/bed rails. I'm not a big fan of the giant ones with a bunch of pieces that slip under the mattress, but that's just my opinion. The foam ones just go under the fitted mattress and work just as well. 
  • @cyanope she's only 27 mo. It is earlier than I want and she's not trying to climb out or anything but there is a lot more fight with her nap and bedtime in the last 3 weeks or so. MH thinks we should go to toddler conversion of the crib so she can come out and have quiet time in the room? I can't tell if that's a good idea or bad idea. We do plan on getting at least new blanket and talking it up. Gahhh I hate changes. 
  • @hannelorre, from my experience, naps are even harder after transitioning. Too much opportunity for distraction. BUT, I also know a lot of people who swear by early transitions. It wouldn’t hurt to try!
  • @hannelorre we transitioned our now 4yo when he was just over 2 (probably around 27 months?), but it was because he figured out how to climb out of his crib and I was worried about him hurting himself.

Once he was in the toddler bed set up, he would rattle around the room until eventually falling asleep, sometimes in his chair and sometimes just on the floor, but he’d often find his way back to bed.

We moved all the excess books, shelf decorations basically everything from his room to try to reduce distraction. He then just emptied his dresser drawers, and I’ve mentioned the 💩 debacle before. Now at 4 he has a couple of little toys in there, he still rattles around his room before eventually putting himself to bed. 

He dropped his nap by the time he was about 2.5, BUT he has always been on the low end of the sleep spectrum. He just doesn’t need as much sleep, RUDE. I’m not sure how much that had to do with the toddler bed or the fact that he’s a vampire who just doesn’t sleep. 

That being said, our 2yo is still in a crib setup and I’m keeping him in there, because overall I hated having a toddler on the loose (mind you, our oldest is just generally the more adventurous, energetic, boundary pushing child).

There is a 2 year sleep regression that could be part of the nap/bedtime resistance? Has anything else changed (potty training, knowing new sibling is on the way, slight changes to routine) the last few weeks? I’d say, stick out the crib and regular routine for a bit longer to see if you can push through before making the switch.
  • @cyanope thanks for the ideas!!!

@pickle-chips
    We did just potty train! We haven't told her specifically about the new baby but she has been more clingy with me. It may be a sleep regression and we will probably wait another week (that will make about a mont of on and off struggle). She's generally been a good sleeper though she did go to one nap on the early side like 13 or 14 mo. I wouldn't mind if she would be able to do some quiet time on her own instead of napping. Right now it's just a lot of yelling and crying 😢 and everyone is tired.