October 2021 Moms

Cheers! What’s to drink?

I think I drink more than I eat.. which lead me to being curious about this odd topic 🙃 sooo, ladies what are some of your go to drinks while pregnant? Is Starbucks even an option at this point?

Pre-pregnancy I drank a lot of coke and coffee. I changed to decaf when I found out I was pregnant however drinking that lasted about a week and now I have a huge aversion to hot coffee. I still crave iced coffee but that’s hard to find decaf. I do also still have a coke most days. I am also addicted to ice cold lemon water lately... but I will squeeze an entire lemon into one cup. 

Some drinks I have been craving but not too sure if they’re pregnancy safe is horchata (depends on the ingredients but some places look at you crazy when you ask) and also chai tea lattes. Does anyone have input on these specific drinks?

Re: Cheers! What’s to drink?

• If I could stomach coffee I would 100% get my 200mg a day. My coffee aversion is STRONG though so it's none for me. Chai has always been way too caffienated for me, but otherwise I don't think there's anything wrong with it in pregnancy. 

Mostly I drink la croix, water, or a sports drink like Gatorade or body armor. I'm overweight and don't want to gain too much, so I'm trying to stick to mostly water as to not add unnecessary and non-nutritious calories. 

• @k_rn21 what's unsafe about horchata? Isn't it just rice, milk, and cinnamon?
    I'm having a hard time with hot drinks right now, so I've only been able to have tea or coffee a few times, and I usually can't finish a cup. But I'm big on water in general, and the occasional diet Dr. Pepper.
  • Loading the player...
  • @pizzaplz some people say it depends on where you get it and if it’s made with pasteurized milk. Which I would assume most people do at least in the United States? But idk. I’m paranoid. I had one the other day from a local restaurant but was afraid to over indulge. 
  • @k_rn21 you might want to check your state laws and regulations regarding raw milk. In general, it's pretty hard to access (typically you have to buy it directly from the farms) and can't usually be resold. This is state dependent though, but I wouldn't worry about it too much from a restaurant,  unless it's attached to a farm. 
  • @k_rn21 ah, okay. I was imagining people sneaking alcohol into it or something, in which case the price might be an indicator? And unpasteurized milk isn't really standard in the US, so maybe the price would indicate that as well. 
  • I don't think you have to worry about people at restaurants sneaking alcohol into anything. I feel like that's similar to the story of people passing out edibles as Halloween candy. Nobody does that. Also, when you're not pregnant, RumChata is delicious.

I have my cup of coffee in the morning, drink usually around 120 oz of water throughout the day, and usually have one flavored beverage with dinner. I'm really enjoying Costco lemonade, sparkling Italian blood orange juice, and Target brand peach-ginger sparkling water. Occassionally I'll have an N/A IPA from a local brewery that specializes in N/A beer, but that seems too indulgent for me most of the time so it's rare. I'm sure that will change when summer rolls around. I like the concept of mocktails, but I really don't feel like they're worth the effort.
  • @aztecash the sparkling blood orange juice and peach ginger drink you mentioned sound super good although never had either. I’m not usually a huge alcohol consumer but please tell me why now of all times it sounds super appetizing. My friend drank the N/A IPA last summer and now I understand why. 
  • @cait32 Lagunitas makes an N/A IPA that is supposed to be pretty good that I believe is distributed nationally. 
  • @aztecash your water intake is inspiring!

It’s hard for me to drink straight water so I get store-brand sparkling water they sell in the little liter bottles. I’m a fan of strawberry watermelon, lime, black cherry and peach mango.
  • Prior to pregnancy, I mostly drank water and coffee of some kind.  Now it's water except I have an aversion to it.  For a while I tried water down apple juice, or water down body armor.  I also drink my water ice cold if it's just straight water.  Last week we purchased a infuser to help me with my water intake.  So far we have tried watermelon and mint and cucumber and mint.  It has been helping with my water intake. I think I am close to 96 oz a day now. 
  • Water, but I don’t get nearly enough. I have been caffeine free since October 1 (one of the diet changes I made after 6 cycles of TTC), but with my daughter, I had a Dr. Pepper almost every day. I do a lot of lemonade if we eat out since it’s usually the only caffeine free drink non-soda drink I can get. I’ve been really struggling with getting enough fluids lately. Smoothies have sounded really good, though!
    TTC History

Me: 26 DH: 27

TTC #1 | June '18-August '18 | DD | Born April 21, 2019 | Due May 10, 2019

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

TTC#2 | June '20-February '21 | DS | Due October 27, 2021

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I drink alllll the things. I just have like an obsessive need to be drinking something all the time. I try and get 75oz of water a day but I’ve been slacking lately. I’ve been neglecting my Hydro Jug 🤣  I drink an absurd amount of purple Powerade Zero because it makes me feel better when I’m sick, which has been a lot this last couple months! I used to drink iced coffee everyday but it makes me nauseous now, so I drink black iced tea and I measure out the ounces each time to track my caffeine. It’s actually awesome because I can drink so much more tea (the one I drink is 55mg per 12oz) than just the one cup of coffee I was allotted before. I like to mix Simply Light Lemonade with my tea sometimes too.

I love Peach Green Tea Lemonade at Starbucks. SO GOOD. It has a lot of sugar though, 27g in my Venti :-/ 

I like Bai cherry flavored drinks too. 

Pre pregnancy I was obsessed with Zevia drinks, they’re like sparkling water with stevia basically. And they’re so yummy. But I can’t stand them now. I have like a million in my fridge and pantry and I still can’t even try them because the thought makes me feel sick. 
  • Only doing iced coffee now, we just make a few days before and I'll put some creamer in it. Hot coffee is a no-go right now. I am doing much better with water drinking, at first I was having an aversion to it, but I'm getting close to 90oz a day now. I'm a huge la croix fan but bubbly water seems absolutely disgusting now so just lots of iced water. Also the chocolate almond milk has been so good lately.
  • I only seem to want water in the evenings and then I’m up a billion times at night to pee every 2 minutes. I need to change my water intake schedule. Still need lemon in my water because plain water is hard to get down lately. I also had a small chai tea latte today that was amazing. 
  • I've been drinking a lot of unsweet tea. Lipton makes a "cold brew" tea where you don't have to steep it in hot water. I just put 3 bags in a big jug of water in the fridge overnight, and it makes it nice and strong.
    Also, if you're looking for N/A IPAs or other beers, I recommend both Athletic Brewing Company and Brewdog. They both ship N/A beers (for free if you buy two 6- or 4-packs), and most of their stuff is really good.
  • I drink mostly water, but chai lattes at Starbucks are my favorite thing :) I’ve gotten it twice with oat milk since it was added to the menu and it’s so good!! 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Just chugging water all the time but it’s so bland sooo I started doing lemon seltzer with a packet of crystal light lemonade.... it’s freaking amazing. Highly recommend 

finally turning a corner and can drink iced coffee 🤗

def will be checking out that N/A IPA others have spoken about 
  • I am envious of those of you who are drinking so much water! I can’t wait to be more hydrated again bc I really am usually a big water drinker but this N/V is kicking my butt. I can drink about 2-3 water plastic bottles a day if I’m lucky- slowly sip on them throughout the day. And I also really like my son’s honest juice boxes specifically the pink lemonade. Sometimes OJ or other juices too. I’ll have like 1 juice a day in addition to the waters. That’s about it. Not very exciting over here. Anything too sweet makes me feel extra sick and I can’t drink caffeine because my heart is a mess 🤣
  • I have a friend who is a brewer for Athletic! I didn't realize they were based out of CT and just expanded to CA. I have some Wild Run in my fridge right now, but I really want to try their Hazy. 
  • @cait32 I like the Punk AF, but I think the Hazy AF is a little better. More body, so any off flavors from being N/A are totally masked.
  • @cait32 I think so. There are probably some states where they can't, but they'll ship where I live, which is not close to CT.
  • @cait32 Oops, reading comprehension fail! 😅 Yeah, Brewdog is in Columbus, OH, and they also ship.
  • Sorry to interrupt this conversation on nonalcoholic beers, but frozen lemonade slushie from Sonic: it's what's to drink and what's for dinner! I haven't been feeling so hot since my immune system kicked in after my vaccine, but I got a craving mid-afternoon and was deliciously satisfied. 🎉
  • Im in love with mixing ginger ale and Arizona green tea.  I also finally got to have my craving which is a michelada.  I hated them when I was younger, started liking them when I met my husband, but now they are the most delicious things to me.  My family makes them with Clamato, lemon, Tajín, worcestershire sauce, tapatío, and beer. This weekend I tried it with Heineken 0.0 non-alcoholic beer.  Next time I’ll try the non-alcoholic mango cart!!! Hope my post didn’t make anyone nauseous !
  • This pregnancy so far, and a lot of my last pregnancy, drinking has been so hard.  Coffee tastes good occaassionally, water sometimes, juice tastes too sweet, I have to find the perfect balance of juice and water to not taste sweet, but not be too watery.  
  • Lots of water and lemon. Decaf if I crave coffee. Rootbeer with no caffeine or ginger ale if i crave soda. Mocktails when out somewhere fancy :)
  • Pregnancy does some crazy things to your body and lifestyle. Before my DD I was a Pepsi fan. Drank one a day. Even during pregnancy. At the hospital they gave me coke like hours after giving birth and I swear it tasted like heaven, quit Pepsi and never looked back... now I find myself not craving coke like I used to. I would never turn one down and lately it just doesn’t always sound good. Like what is happening to me?! I did however find out that my favorite specialty coffee can be made with decaf espresso. Please lord Jesus don’t let this pregnancy avert me from those now too. 😭
  • Also, anyone have suggestions for pregnancy safe flavoring to add to water?