August 2021 Moms

GTKY 03/10

Drinks!
I'm missing wine today, so I figured what would make me feel better ore than talking about it! 

What have you been drinking through your pregnancy to settle your stomach? 

What's your go-to mocktail? 

What is your favourite wine, beer, spirit?  Do you have any passion about alcohol or is it just the simple enjoyment? 

Any fun stories?

Re: GTKY 03/10

• I was missing wine today too! It was lovely weather here and I had a pang of regretting not being able to sit out on a patio somewhere with a glass of wine and a cheese plate. Up until this point in my pregnancy I really haven't craved it (despite being a pretty big wine drinker prior to getting pregnant) but I have a feeling between 1) feeling better, 2) nice weather returning, and 3) getting more social now that I'm vaccinated, I'm going to start missing it a bit more.

What have you been drinking through your pregnancy to settle your stomach?: Honestly haven't really had nausea so nothing in particular.

What's your go-to mocktail?: I need one! I've just been drinking water and the occasional soda or juice.

What is your favourite wine, beer, spirit?  Do you have any passion about alcohol or is it just the simple enjoyment?: Love basically all types of wine as long as they aren't too sweet (and are decent quality, haha). My favorite varietals are probably tempranillo and sauvignon blanc. I won't say no to a beer or liquor-based drink, but I definitely know the most about wine and drink it the most by far, and I belong to our local vineyard's wine club. 

Any fun stories?: Drinking related stories? Mostly just embarrassing, haha.

• grogugrogu member
    What have you been drinking through your pregnancy to settle your stomach?  Clamato juice. 😅 My husband looks at me like I'm crazy but it's delicious. 

What's your go-to mocktail? Virgin ceasars mainly. 

What is your favourite wine, beer, spirit? Do you have any passion about alcohol or is it just the simple enjoyment?  We have a local cidery and they make this small batch root beer cider. I miss that. I stocked up last week actually because it won't be able until next spring 😅
    I also really enjoy a good tequila. 
  • Loading the player...
  • What have you been drinking through your pregnancy to settle your stomach? Ginger ale, the little mini cans. Or seltzer.

What's your go-to mocktail? I just honestly don't like any. Water is fine. I don't normally drink juice but this pregnancy I've been craving OJ and drinking a lot of that.

What is your favourite wine, beer, spirit?  Do you have any passion about alcohol or is it just the simple enjoyment? Beer, 100%. I barely drink wine anymore now that I don't live near wine country anymore and DW stopped drinking after cancer so it's honestly depressing to drink a mediocre, too expensive bottle by myself. I got spoiled when wine was everywhere and amazing and cheap. I don't drink spirits at all anymore, it hurts. So on a nice warm day, sitting out on the porch and having a beer...bliss. Most recently I've been enjoying the low ABV IPAs like Lagunitas Daytime. Now that we've had a couple nice days I'm definitely missing that and looking forward to August and having a drink. I definitely love good craft beers and look forward to those on the weekends when not pregnant. DW will drink 0% ABV beers with me too so then I'm not drinking alone. :) 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • What have you been drinking through your pregnancy to settle your stomach? La Croix, sprite, tea, and looootttttts of water

What's your go-to mocktail? we have some NA beer that I've found that's okay. We also made a great cranberry lime mocktail for Christmas that was delicious! And faux-mimosas - orange juice and orange la croix

What is your favourite wine, beer, spirit?  Do you have any passion about alcohol or is it just the simple enjoyment? I love wine. Really love wine. There's nothing like a glass of sauv blanc or a crisp, dry rose outside in the sunshine in a glass all covered in condensation because the wine is so cold. DROOLING. I also am a big bourbon drinker (shocking, I know) - my dad is part-owner of a bourbon brand that we're obsessed with.
  • What have you been drinking through your pregnancy to settle your stomach? I've been on the juice train for sure. And I've added mineral water to spice it up sometimes and when I feel extra thirsty. 

What's your go-to mocktail? Probably a Shirley temple haha. My mom worked in a bar and when I was a kid I'd go and visit and got them all the time!

What is your favourite wine, beer, spirit?  Do you have any passion about alcohol or is it just the simple enjoyment? Spirit is probably rum, but Russian vodka has a special place in my heart. We have a ton of craft breweries in our city so I like exploring them a bit, generally go with reds, porters and stouts. But on a hot day it's a pilsner for me.

I prefer red wine, usually a Beaujolais,  but most of the reds produced locally aren't great. But oh man our sparkling wines can rival the best from Europe. I bought a small wine rack for the basement in the fall and it's already full so I'm not quite sure how the rest of pregnancy is going to end up.

Any fun stories? Growing grapes and making wine is such an interesting world, it has really opened my mind. I love that you get the full spectrum from farmer, to scientist to sales involved in a bottle, and such a wide variety of customers too,  from total wine geek who loves natty wines to posh know it all who just ends up getting the most expensive bottle.

I have 6 bottles downstairs of my own wine that I made at school this year so that is super exciting. They needed at least 6 months in the bottle I think, so it will be a perfect first postpartum drink!
  • This may be too personal/spicy for this group, but is anyone here drinking in small amounts during pregnancy? I read a good bit about that topic (starting with the Expecting Better book that a few people on here recommended and branching out from there) and it was definitely interesting to me that 1) a lot of the science doesn't seem to support the idea that drinking any amount of alcohol is bad for baby, and 2) Americans (and maybe Canadians? not sure) take that prohibition way more seriously than women do in other parts of the world. I haven't personally had a drink while pregnant, but I gotta admit I'm not totally closed off to the idea.
  • @the_most_happy as things warm up it's going to get a lot harder for sure. There's something to be said cozying up with a nice glass of red wine or dark beer in the dead of winter, but nothing beats that first patio drink of the year.

@grogu I love the idea of clamato juice! I didn't even think of it. I've been having some v8s here and there but virgin caesars would be much better.

@claireloSC there's a lot of much better non alcohol beer these days. We stock a local one at the wine store I work at and it's unbelievably popular! I really appreciate breweries stepping up.
  • @the_most_happy I haven't really had any but thats mostly because I just haven't felt like it. If I were seeing people and going out for dinner it might be a different story. I did have some in my last pregnancy. 

I have done some wine tastings at work which probably amount to drinking an ounce or two, which I have no concerns with. 

And I did buy a half bottle last night for me and MH to share tomorrow. I'll probably have a half glass or something. If at any point I feel a "buzz" that's my limit, regardless of how much or little I've had. I don't see an issue with it. My mom smoked and drank a bit in pregnancy and I turned out okay. I think its totally different if you're drinking a full bottle every day.
  • pickle-chipspickle-chips member
    edited March 2021
    @grogu now I want a Caesar so badly. Just added Clamato to my grocery order for Saturday. It's happening.ETA

What have you been drinking through your pregnancy to settle your stomach? Ginger ale, ginger tea. 
    What's your go-to mocktail? I don't really have one. I'd rather just drink a cocktail or go with water or a soda. 
    What is your favourite wine, beer, spirit? I like cider the most of all alcoholic beverages. A sip of beer makes me feel like I've eaten seven loaves of bread. Red wine dries out my mouth and makes my eyes puffy, nose stuffy and gives me a terrible headache. I sound like a lot of fun to drink with, eh? I do enjoy white wine and rosé wine! We have so many great vineyards in our province that make some really lovely wines, so I like to sample local as much as possible. 

@the_most_happy I'm a drink small amounts of alcohol during pregnancy kind of gal. I'm not a huge drinker to begin with, but I wouldn't say no to a glass of wine with dinner on occasion—that is my personal comfort level!

ETA: That being said, I will be making a Caesar mocktail this weekend, if anyone was wondering!
  • grogugrogu member
    @pickle-chips I get the pickled Ceasar mix. It's so yum. 
    A good Ceasar when you are hungover is just the best. 

I'll probably try upping my virgin Ceasar game this weekend and adding all the extras and fun garnishes. Right now I just drink the juice straight 😅
  • @grogu @pickle_chips Americans looking at us like 🤔 
  • What have you been drinking through your pregnancy to settle your stomach? I had to give up coffee during first tri, and that seemed to get rid of my MS.  Now I’m back to having a cup with breakfast now that I’ve hit second tri. 

What’s your go to mocktail? Don’t really have one, but I have been drinking a lot of orange juice which is abnormal for me.  Can I claim it as a virgin screwdriver? 😂

I love pretty much any dry red wine, and that or vodka with sparkling waters have been my go to but prior to pregnancy I hadn’t been drinking often.  I had started Noom when the pandemic started and I found I preferred having food calories over saving calories for alcohol.  
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Learned something new today, I’d never heard of a Caesar! I guess it’s a Canadian thing? 

Nice to know some others are okay with small amounts of alcohol while pregnant, that makes me feel less crazy for not thinking it’s a huge deal. I’m going to a bachelorette wine tasting event next month and would like to at least try some sips... I’m not concerned at all about that amount of drinking in terms of the baby’s health, but I do think my friends might be taken aback by it (none of them have kids so I’m sure they’ve never had occasion to really look into the whole drinking-while-pregnant issue). We’ll see I guess!
  • grogugrogu member
    @the_most_happy it's like a bloody Mary but a bazillion times better. 
    Instead of tomato juice you used clamato (tomato, clam juice and seasonings). Sounds disgusting but it's forking delicious. 
  • I can barely drink anything! I puked after a drink of water today. I’ve been doing tea or lemonade at work. 

I prefer sweet wine. I was drinking a glass a few times a week but obviously not now. It was mostly just to relax (placebo effect of pouring and holding the glass)! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What have you been drinking through your pregnancy to settle your stomach? 

Any flavored bubble water, I like Bubly, the Costco brand, whatever. Ginger ale helped too. An electrolyte drink we have here called Electrolít has been saving my life when it was bad. 

What's your go-to mocktail? I haven’t really made any yet! I like taking Cherry Bubly and mixing it with soda like coke or sprite 

@grogu I LOVE Clamato! I’m Mexican and grew up on the border so it’s a thing here for sure, I might get a NA beer this weekend and make Micheladas with a chamoy rim and tons of olives

What is your favourite wine, beer, spirit?  Do you have any passion about alcohol or is it just the simple enjoyment? 

I’m not that knowledgeable about wine but I like something like sauvignon blanc. San Diego is a huge beer scene and we have tons of craft breweries everywhere, my favorite is Alpine, their Nelson is my favorite IPA. Any really juicy opaque Hazy IPA when it’s warm out is good, I love Mexican lagers with lime when it’s really hot or we’re by the water, even something like Tecate. Tequila drinks, I like palomas the best in the summer. 

I have a lot of funny and ridiculous stories but they’re not bump appropriate 😂
  • @the_most_happy I’m fine with it, I just haven’t been interested until it really started warming up, like we were going to go eat at a patio last night and that was the first time I even really craved a glass in months (I ended up falling asleep on the couch and missing our reservation)  🤣 I wouldn’t have ordered one but the “wouldn’t it be nice” thought hit me for the first time

I take sips off my SO’s beer occasionally, maybe every couple of weeks. He doesn’t really drink much now that I’m pregnant and he’s the only person I see, so it only comes up every now and then. Maybe I’ll have a small champagne at my baby shower when my mom and aunts aren’t looking ready to talk smack  :D 
  • I'm more of coffee and soda drinker. Probably drink wine once every couple months (especially in the last year where we didn't go out). Had to give up coffee due to nausea but getting little better. My go to had been regular coca cola. (NO Pepsi!!)

I didn't drink at all last pregnancy and probably won't this time. I'm not a huge alcohol person at baseline so don't see the need to add it during pregnancy. But I also won't be shocked if other women choose to drink to their comfort, though my midwife/ob saying there is no safe amount did stick in my mind. I believe that's the party line they stick to. 

(My brother is getting married May so I may toast if they are having some champagne... but I dunno if they will since it's gonna be a very small affair). 

• What have you been drinking through your pregnancy to settle your stomach? Honestly, a cup of coffee with soy milk settled my stomach in the morning. I was drinking tea in the morning before pregnancy. Usually lime or lemon juice  over ice if it's not morning.

What's your go-to mocktail? Don't have one. I've been drinking water or juice

What is your favourite wine, beer, spirit?  Do you have any passion about alcohol or is it just the simple enjoyment? I can't stand beer and wine is okay. Do mostly I stick to cocktails.

@the_most_happy I personally don't drink when pregnant, but I'm not a big drinker. I will drink while nursing though. 

@cocoliso13 DW, mil and sil drink olives in their beer.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • @cocoliso13 that's exactly the boat I was in yesterday, I met H for lunch on the patio at this great tapas place down the street from our house/his work and was like "huh... a sangria would be really nice right now." Even though I'm not visibly pregnant yet I got nervous about seeing someone who knows and them judging me, so I passed, haha. I'm sorry you missed your reservation though! That's both tragic and kinda funny.
  • @the_most_happy yeah I'll have a glass here and there over the course of a few hours. I abstain completely during first tri, but ease back in a bit (maybe a glass or two a week - again, drinking very slowly over the course of a few hours) during second and third tri.
  • What have you been drinking through your pregnancy to settle your stomach? In 1st tri, I drank a lot of ginger tea. 

What's your go-to mocktail? I love the idea of mocktails, but I'm too lazy to actually get the ingredients and make them. Mostly I get different flavors of sparkling water or add a splash of juice to my water to liven it up. 

What is your favourite wine, beer, spirit?  Do you have any passion about alcohol or is it just the simple enjoyment? Oh man. I love red wine and dark beer. There's a restaurant near us that has a program where if you try 200 different beers, you get a plate on the wall with your name on it. I'm taking forever to get my plate, but that has been a fun endeavor. MH worked at a winery when we were first married. He has a much more refined palate than I do! 

As far as drinking during pregnancy goes, my midwives have said some is okay, but never gave me an amount. My BF who is also a midwife said she tells her clients that 2 ounces at a time of wine is okay. MH and I observe Sabbath beginning on Friday nights, and typically light candles, say prayers, drink wine and have challah. For 1st tri, I subbed grape juice for my wine, but since I've been in 2nd tri, I will let myself have a couple ounces of wine on Friday night specifically for that event. And I definitely taste MH's drinks when he has them. 

• What have you been drinking through your pregnancy to settle your stomach? only water. 

What's your go-to mocktail? don't have one :/

What is your favourite wine, beer, spirit?  Do you have any passion about alcohol or is it just the simple enjoyment? I don't think I've had a drink in almost 5 years, last tiny bit probably when I was 10 weeks pregnant with my first, on vacation in Paris/ Rome. I used to drink lots of wine at dinner socially, but nothing since kids. i'm already so exhausted all the time! And honestly, I see so so many people with alcohol related problems at work, from pancreatitis to cirrhosis to young people dying, that I just have no urge to drink.

@the_most_happy I don't drink when I'm pregnant now. I did a very small amount with my first, and also did hot yoga and ate small amounts of "off limit" food here and there, stuff like that. then i had preterm labor at 24 weeks and almost lost her. probably had nothing to do with any of those things. but now i try to do my best to be as safe and healthy as possible, from all areas, even if there isn't evidence. helps my anxiety knowing i'm doing all i possibly can!