October 2021 Moms

COVID Vaccine plans

So, what does everyone think about getting the vaccine while pregnant? I'm eligible on Monday but very hesitant about it!

Re: COVID Vaccine plans

• I can’t wait either!! I almost signed up for a trial but decided not to since we were actively trying. I am preregistered so hopefully will be getting my first shot sometime this month. Mentioned it to my OB today (pap and blood draw) and she was encouraging of getting it as well. 
    Me: 36 | DH: 41 | Married: 9/29/07 | DD: December 2018 | BFP: 2/1/21, EDD: 10/6/21
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I'll be discussing this with my midwife, but I already know she will be highly encouraging me to get it. I remember learning about the children of Thalidomide in high school and have been terrified of taking anything during pregnancy since. On the other side, if getting the vaccine means that DH can be in L&D with me and I can labor maskless, I am much more inclined to get it. I've also heard that the vaccine will pass to and immunize the baby too, like the Tdap, and that would be an amazing benefit. I was in phase 1C in my state, but now it seems they've changed to roll it out based on age. Either way I wasn't expecting to be eligible until late spring/early summer. 

Tip from my MIL who is a nurse - once you get the shot, keep your arm moving as much as possible and apply heat to the injection site. This will help the vaccince disperse and greatly lessen injection site pain. 
  • Loading the player...
  • It’s not going to be available in my area for awhile I don’t think. So I’ll ask my doc at my 8 week appt and go with whatever she says but I’m assuming she’ll say it’s fine. I absolutely want to get it if I can. 
  • I will not be
  • I'm on team wait and see. I am eligible for the vaccine as a school employee, but my eligibility had put me on schedule to receive my first dose about 3.5 weeks ago and then I would have been getting 2nd dose at the end of this week. I just wasnt comfortable knowing there was a chance I'd conceive. 
  • I will get it as soon as I can. My H is already vaccinated since he's a healthcare worker
  • I’m hoping to get it ASAP, but I’m pretty far down on the priority list, so I’m thinking spring?  DH gets his first dose next week. 
  • I think I’m undecided currently. My only concern really is that kids can’t get the vaccine currently so I’m worried that if kids can’t get it why can a pregnant mom? My only other concern is the lack of actual long term info on the vaccine. It’s a weird feeling because I am very pro vaccines normally. I guess I’ll keep doing some research and hear what my OB has to say 
  • @bcliffee1 I am also totally pro vaccines and I am on the fence currently. I saw my OB back in January for my yearly pap and had asked her then what they were recommending because one of my friends who is a nurse claimed she was getting it because it genetically changed you. That didn't sound right to me and the OB said they are recommending pregnant woman working in high risk jobs get it.

I am not going to be eligible for a while, thankfully so I do not have to really decide yet.
  • I won't be able to get it for quite some time. But am planning on receiving it when I can! Planning on asking my OB about her opinion at my first appointment. 
  • The vaccines available in the US are mRNA vaccines and cannot change your DNA (does not genetically change you). That said, speaking with your OB is good, and always make informed decisions. :) Fingers crossed this pandemic gets better soon!!
  • The COVID vaccine should not be taken during pregnancy. This vaccine is literally a trial and they do not know the side effects during pregnancy, for you or the baby. Read research on both sides and weigh the pros and cons. 
  • Of course of course it’s recommended. They want to do the trial and study on pregnant women and infants too. When you take the vaccine you sign up to be tracked for two years after getting it. Just because side effects aren’t apparent yet doesn’t mean they won’t show up later. The actual CDC set a 2 year time frame for how long they want to monitor to you for to see if they happen, because they don’t know. All I’m saying is do your own research beyond what you’re getting from the media and look at actual studies from the vaccine and make an informed choice for the health of you and your baby. 
  • TTheir is no data on how the vaccine effects pregnant women and infants. If you want to be the data, go ahead but that’s not a chance I’m willing to take. 🙂
  • I had a terrible time having Covid in April and turning into a long hauler who still gets SOB. I believe most of that is immune overreaction related, because I didn't have a severe infection. I have a rheumatologist appt next week, so I will see what she knows about this stuff. I'm not too into "ACOG recommends it, so that's all my OB knows about it." 
    That said, I made myself an appt for April, when I will be 13w, so I don't have to decide right away and will still have an opportunity before summer! My husband goes next week, and by then everyone I see regularly will be vaxxed, except my son of course, so I'm super excited about that!
  • In my area the next phase of vaccinations will be for people with underlying conditions. Right now, pregnancy is on the list from the CDC as an underlying condition. So I’m hoping to get one as soon as they become available (4ish weeks from now, according to the current timeline) assuming my OB has no major concerns. I plan to ask her at my first appointment. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @s-trout-96 you're data regardless of whether you get the vaccine now, later, or never. You (generally you, not necessarily you) and your child could end up being a data point on the adverse outcomes from COVID-19 disease because you didn't get the vaccination.  

I'm strongly leaning towards getting it. I understand the hesitancy but its not as if COVID in pregnancy is without risks. I'd rather take my chances with the vaccine over the disease in this case. 
  • Get it! I was fully vaccinated prior to the start of our IVF but if they put out any boosters I won’t hesitate to get it. The plan was to get it whenever it was available. I’ve seen what happens to babies born to positive covid moms so I’m not messing around with it. 
  • (I will definitely ask my OB this, I'd just like to also be armed with information when I ask her.) Paging @fitzfizz or anyone else who has career expertise:

Now that the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is also approved, I'm curious if there is any information or guidance out there about whether any of the vaccines is preferable to the others for pregnant women. I'm not well-versed in vaccines, but my basic understanding is that Pfizer and Moderna utilize mRNA and J&J vaccine does not.  I know the general stance is "take whatever vaccine is offered to you" which I 100% agree with and support, I just wasn't sure if that also pertains to pregnant women. 
  • My personal decision has been to make it through the first trimester and then have talks with my doctors to decide if vaccination would be the best choice. I’m also eager to talk to some family members once we share our news more, because my husband’s brother is an ER doctor (his wife is also currently pregnant)  and my cousin’s husband is a scientist for J & J. He has had great things to say about their vaccine so I’m eager to hear what his thoughts are on the vaccine for pregnant women 
  • @galentine Sorry! I just saw this. Falling asleep before 8 every day has put a damper on my reading haha

From what I can find, the new Johnson and Johnson vaccine should be safe in pregnancy. Data is still early. I can’t find anything published yet about specific recommendations about this vaccine from ACOG or SMFM. Generally speaking though the main reason why any vaccine is contraindicated in pregnancy is if it is a live virus vaccine (like MMR) and the new Johnson and Johnson vaccine is not a live virus. From the published data it looks like there is a ~9% risk of fever after vaccination which is comparable to Pfizer and Moderna.  If I see anything new come out I will update for sure. 
  • I now get the unique job of trying to figure out when to get vaccinated while pregnant but after already having COVID. I talked to an OB who basically said I can get it now, wait 3 months and get it then, or literally anywhere in between. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Who the heck knows at this point.
    TTC History

Me: 26 DH: 27

TTC #1 | June '18-August '18 | DD | Born April 21, 2019 | Due May 10, 2019

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

TTC#2 | June '20-February '21 | DS | Due October 27, 2021

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• https://www.forbes.com/sites/ninashapiro/2021/03/04/antibodies-for-covid-19-found-in-breast-milk-after-vaccine/amp/
    I saw this today--a small study showed that antibodies showed up in breastmilk of lactating people who received the vaccine. This makes me so happy and hopeful--I'm still breastfeeding my daughter, and I was hoping she'd benefit from my vaccine. Really looking forward to further studies.
  • @wishingforsnow current guidance in my institution doesn't recommend pre-medicating, but definitely recommend Tylenol to manage fever on onset. Haven't done much reading on this so don't quote me but from what I heard, pre-medicating may suppress the wanted immune response? 
  • mac-n-cheesemac-n-cheese member
    edited March 2021
    California just opened availability for pregnant people too! I have my first appointment on 3/24 and my second on 4/14. I probably wouldn’t be getting it if I wasn’t pregnant, but its about this:
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.02.03.21250579v1.full?ftag=YHF4eb9d17
    Edited because words