1st Trimester

4 day period and positive hpt 5 days later?

AmandaNacoraAmandaNacora member
edited March 2021 in 1st Trimester
Hi all. I’m... anxious as all get out tbh! I had my “period”, the 23rd to 27th and yeah I really thought it was a period! Heavy with some clots *tmi. But 2 days later I had brown spotting and cramp like pains and bloating that’s still happening though the spotting is now light red. After talking to my mom she suggested I take a hpt, since she has an etopic that’s was similar. I didn’t think it would be positive but lo and behold that line popped up before the pee reached the end of the test! So I guess what I am asking is has anyone ever had that happen and had a healthy pregnancy? I’m still spotting off and on with pains off and on but nothing severe. I would be 6weeks based on my last real period. I can’t get in to see the Dr until April 1st and they told me to go to the ER if I had severe pain or bleeding. So 3 weeks of waiting. Yay. I’ve taken 3 tests and all the lines are very dark and pop up immediately. I guess I’m looking for peace of mind that this does happen sometimes and a healthy pregnancy can happen? *added that’s the test I took last night, 6 days after my “period” and it showed up instantly. Would I still have a positive like that if I had an early miscarriage? 

Re: 4 day period and positive hpt 5 days later?

• Hi all. I’m... anxious as all get out tbh! I had my “period”, the 23rd to 27th and yeah I really thought it was a period! Heavy with some clots *tmi. But 2 days later I had brown spotting and cramp like pains and bloating that’s still happening though the spotting is now light red. After talking to my mom she suggested I take a hpt, since she has an etopic that’s was similar. I didn’t think it would be positive but lo and behold that line popped up before the pee reached the end of the test! So I guess what I am asking is has anyone ever had that happen and had a healthy pregnancy? I’m still spotting off and on with pains off and on but nothing severe. I would be 6weeks based on my last real period. I can’t get in to see the Dr until April 1st and they told me to go to the ER if I had severe pain or bleeding. So 3 weeks of waiting. Yay. I’ve taken 3 tests and all the lines are very dark and pop up immediately. I guess I’m looking for peace of mind that this does happen sometimes and a healthy pregnancy can happen? 
    You possibly could have a subchronic hematoma that caused the bleeding.  No one can tell you what's going on, except be patient and listen to your doctors orders.  
  • I bleed every single pregnancy.   TW, and while I have had miscarriages too, generally the bleeding wasn't even related.  With my daughter I had bright red bleeding.  With my oldest son, I bled for at least a month.  With my youngest son, I was bleeding so much, I had no doubt I miscarried.   Unfortunately,  there is no way to know.  My obgyn said that nearly 50 % of women bleed in clinically recognized pregnancies , and obviously 50% do not lead to miscarriages.
  • Loading the player...
  • AmandaNacoraAmandaNacora member
    edited March 2021
    holly321 said:
    I bleed every single pregnancy.   TW, and while I have had miscarriages too, generally the bleeding wasn't even related.  With my daughter I had bright red bleeding.  With my oldest son, I bled for at least a month.  With my youngest son, I was bleeding so much, I had no doubt I miscarried.   Unfortunately,  there is no way to know.  My obgyn said that nearly 50 % of women bleed in clinically recognized pregnancies , and obviously 50% do not lead to miscarriages.

They waiting is the worst! Did you bleed like a period around the time your period was due? I’m just a nervous wreck. Well at least I have a 50% chance things will be okay. I’m sorry about your MCs ☹️
  • Hi all. I’m... anxious as all get out tbh! I had my “period”, the 23rd to 27th and yeah I really thought it was a period! Heavy with some clots *tmi. But 2 days later I had brown spotting and cramp like pains and bloating that’s still happening though the spotting is now light red. After talking to my mom she suggested I take a hpt, since she has an etopic that’s was similar. I didn’t think it would be positive but lo and behold that line popped up before the pee reached the end of the test! So I guess what I am asking is has anyone ever had that happen and had a healthy pregnancy? I’m still spotting off and on with pains off and on but nothing severe. I would be 6weeks based on my last real period. I can’t get in to see the Dr until April 1st and they told me to go to the ER if I had severe pain or bleeding. So 3 weeks of waiting. Yay. I’ve taken 3 tests and all the lines are very dark and pop up immediately. I guess I’m looking for peace of mind that this does happen sometimes and a healthy pregnancy can happen? 
    You possibly could have a subchronic hematoma that caused the bleeding.  No one can tell you what's going on, except be patient and listen to your doctors orders.  
    It the waiting so long I don’t get... why would they have me wait until April 1st before being seen with such heavy bleeding and continuous spotting? I did google sub-chronic hematoma and I’m thinking that is a possibility. Just hoping if I am still pregnant it’s healthy! 
  • The only time I ever had bleeding like that, it was from a large subchorionic hematoma (SCH) and it ended badly in the second trimester. SCH are present in 40% of pregnancies and most don’t negatively affect the pregnancy at all. I have had 2 viable pregnancies since that loss and I was diagnosed with SCH in both of them. I haven’t had issues with either pregnancy. 

I would try to take it really easy and rest as much as possible especially since you have had so much bleeding. 
    It the waiting so long I don’t get... why would they have me wait until April 1st before being seen with such heavy bleeding and continuous spotting? I did google sub-chronic hematoma and I’m thinking that is a possibility. Just hoping if I am still pregnant it’s healthy! 
    If they felt it was emergent they would get you in sooner.  Without severe cramping, (it sounds like the bleeding is stopped or slowed down??) they probably are not too concerned.  If it was a MC there is nothing that can be done.  If its a SCH, there isn't much they do with it either.  If you are uncomfortable with your doctors suggestions, then look into finding a provider that makes you more comfortable.  
    While the waiting is the worst, unfortunately,  if you are still really early, you will get no answers.  Tw again, I have had to have several ultrasounds and appointments in the past before loss (and viability) could be determined.  

And to answer your question again.  With probably 3/4ths of my pregnancies,  I have bled when my period was due, which was likely implantation. With my daughter,  it stopped, I bled a weekish later, stopped, and then bled a month later.  
  • I know of two ladies in particular who come to mind that thought they had AF, and then turned a positive test shortly thereafter, who both had normal, healthy pregnancies.  Best of luck!  Unfortunately only time will tell....
  • I am literally going through this now. I started bleeding a lot, but it was over a week before my period was due. I thought I might be pregnant and took a HPT and it was positive. I went to the ER and they couldn't tell me anything because it's so early - my bloodwork showed hCG but the ultrasound was inconclusive. I have to go back in a few days to get re-tested to see if the hCG is any higher. 

The waiting/not knowing is the absolute worst part, especially because this is my first pregnancy and I have no idea what to expect. I feel you, and I am sending you good, healthy vibes.
  • @fifilala516 Can you share your chart(s)?  If you're just about 5 weeks pregnant, they would need to do a transvaginal ultrasound to see anything.  GL!  I hope it works out for you as a wonderful surprise? / Not surprise? Lol Congrats!!!  ((((Hugs)))) will be thinking of you and sending you positivity during this confusing time.  Hopefully your next set of betas will be great!
  • @fifilala516 Can you share your chart(s)?  If you're just about 5 weeks pregnant, they would need to do a transvaginal ultrasound to see anything.  GL!  I hope it works out for you as a wonderful surprise? / Not surprise? Lol Congrats!!!  ((((Hugs)))) will be thinking of you and sending you positivity during this confusing time.  Hopefully your next set of betas will be great!
    I'm less than 5 weeks - my LMP was 2/24, and I took a pregnancy test that week before AF came and it was negative. I had a positive OPK on 3/6.

They did a transvaginal at the hospital, but were not able to visualize a sac. The tech warned me she wouldn't see anything because it's so early. 
  • What was your hcg level and when was your last period before 2/24? @fifilala516