June 2021 Moms

The Great Big Thread of Names

1235»

Re: The Great Big Thread of Names

• @sgrn18 another vote for Archer.  That was on our list if this was a boy.
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• @sgrn18 And another vote for Archer!

Me: 32 years old
    DH: 33 years old
    Married in May 16, 2015
         TTC #1 (on and off) since September 2015
    DS1 Due 6.7.2021
  • Loading the player...
  • @mrs_massie I'm so petty that I would choose Wesley over Miles simply because MIL is so enthusiastic about Miles lol. FWIW, I love both names so much! Two of my faves!

Me: 32 years old
    DH: 33 years old
    Married in May 16, 2015
         TTC #1 (on and off) since September 2015
    DS1 Due 6.7.2021
  • Oof...I'm so bad at naming. I didn't even name my cat (my friend thought up her name so I just went with it...but mostly call her "cat"). 

I wouldn't mind something like my name (Natalie), in that it's sort-of ethnic (my family is Ukrainian, my husband is a mutt and doesn't care) and not very common, but common enough that people don't have problems pronouncing it. My husband's last name ends in "y", so prefer something that doesn't end in "ie" or"y". I could get behind a "ie/y" name if it has a good shortened version that doesn't. 

Current musings: In the past I've liked Emma or perhaps Emilie (using Emma as the nickname). I saw someone talking about Eliana earlier, which I kind of like (Ellie could be for short...I do have a cousin who goes by Ellie but I never see her). I like Christine as a middle name (it's my mom's middle name), or Anne (my middle name, my grandmother's name). My MIL is anti-family names (too much pressure, picks a "favorite"), though there's a part of me that wouldn't mind honoring one of our grandparents with a middle name (they're all dead) like Anne or June. Amelia, Ayla, Mara are all out as they're the same or too similar to other names in our close family/friends.
  • marebear15marebear15 member
    edited February 2021
    Does anyone else have no clue what they are going to name their baby? We've gone through all our contenders and nixed them all for one reason or another, and we are back to nothing. Not even a list of possibilities. 

Edit: Just caught up on the Randoms thread. I see a lot of us are in the same boat!
  • akorosakoros member
    edited February 2021
    @marebear15 I mean, we haven't even started this time around. I'd thought of it a little bit in prior pregnancies (which is where I pulled those names from), but nothing this time so far.
  • We’ve decided on Isabela for this baby. She has no middle name yet, the options I like are a no for some reason or another. 

Isabela Rose - my ex husband has a sister and grandmother with Rose. 😤

Isabela Marie - it’s just ok, I don’t LOVE it 

Isabela May/Mae - ehhh 🤷🏻‍♀️

Our other daughters Arianna Ivelisse and Elena Olivia 
  • @mrs_massie your MIL is annoying me.  I would kill my husband if he told his mother the names we are discussing.  I like both Wesley and Miles but it would be hilarious if she thinks you are moving forward with Miles and end up naming him Wesley.  

@ramfam2507 Isabela is beautiful.  Keep working on the middle name you will find something you love.  

I think I've already shared this but we are mostly settled on Quinn for baby girl.  I love it and it is pretty much the only name we are agreeing on so we have just stopped talking about it.  The only thing I question is that I'm sure we will call her Quinny sometimes and I'm not sure I love that.  I'm hoping we come up with another cutesy term for her.  DS is Duke and we call him Dukey sometimes and I think I had the same concern when we were choosing that name,  

I threw out Tessa for her middle name because we visited the winery Quintessa on our honeymoon and H thought I was kidding but we haven't come up with anything else and I kind of love it so I think we're done.  
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos

May 2020 FET; BFN
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• @mrs_massie I love both names but would pick Wesley over Miles if MIL was asking that to me. LOL. We were thinking about Miles but I have a student this year that killed the name for me. 
    @akoros we would've done June for a middle name if this were a girl... Honestly not sure it's off the table for a boy. I have a June in my extended family that I'd love to honor, plus baby might share a birthday with her. 
    @marebear15 we have no idea what we're making baby boy. Ds1 has been calling him "Avatar" and we keep telling him no. Honestly I think we'll end up naming him in the hospital, I'm just hoping we can go in with 2-3 names as possibilities. 
  • So we had a front runner but now its gotten sort of strange.  We have/had August William picked out.  August is after mh's grandfather and William is after his dad, both of their middle names.  But then out of nowhere my dad comes out and starts talking about how we can have the 6th generation Charles, I had no intention of using Charles but now it seems awkward that we're using two family names from mh and none from mine, I sort of feel bad.  MH is adamant about William as the middle name, his dad passed away about 10 years ago so he really wants to us it and I'm fine with that.  But I actually quite like August and I think the nickname Auggie is super cute.  Then mh also throws out that August is already his brother's middle name after his grandfather as well.  Is this just getting too strange?  We both like the name but maybe we've got too much family stuff going in it.

We are definitely not telling anyone in advance either way, sorry so many are having drama with that!
  • DH and I haven't discussed names for a long time now lol We have narrowed it down to two different boy names complete with middle names (that he came up with) and those are the 2 names we are going to choose between. All the other names on our list are out! DH wants to wait and see what he looks like first and what he suits the most when he's born, so we won't have a definite name picked until day of in the hospital. Least its only 2 names to choose from which makes it easy and I like both names so I guess we will see. *I do secretly hope its one name over the other cause I like it just a bit more * LOL 🤫🤭
  • @ellieemc26 - we had August as our boy name picked out! August is a special month for our family and we also loved Auggie as nn. My H actually suggested using it for this baby girl because we loved it so much. (That’s a no from me). I like August William better than August Charles, and at the end of the day- you are the authority on your own baby’s name! I don’t think it matters that it’s also BIL’s middle name. 

@mrs_massie - omg at your MIL. My mom is overbearing with names as well, and she totally ruined a name that we were all but set on because she weaseled it out of our 9yo. She has also sent names she likes and has called our babies by some of those names. Long story short: I would have no problem going with your first instinct and putting Miles aside. (Although they are both cute). 

We are leaning towards Anya June right now. I’m hesitant because I really wanted a Polish or Irish name to honor my heritage (especially Polish) and I wonder if Anya is too trendy. I have a very very popular first name and I can’t stand it! I vowed to never let my kids have popular names, and although Anya isn’t by any means “popular”, ‘A’- names are right now. It’s the one that has felt the most right and I think I’d be relieved to solidify it. We are also playing with the idea of Olive.
    Married <3 August 2010
    DD1  <3 August 2011
    DD2 <3 August 2013
    DD3 <3 February 2017
  • @disgruntled_pelican I agree August William sounds better.  MH made a comment last night that made it pretty clear he has accepted this as the name so I guess we're settled one way or the other!  I really am good with this name, I just need to get over the family stuff!

And Anya is a very pretty name!  I don't feel like I hear that one often at all.
  • akorosakoros member
    edited February 2021
    @disgruntled_pelican I do like Anya, and agree that it's not one I've heard much. Anya June sounds lovely!

Googled some Ukrainian names...Alina sounds nice, I could get into that one. I've always liked Irena, but only when it's pronounced a particular way: ee-REH-nah (not "Irene-ah") and usually it's not pronounced the way I like. 
  • @mindyb2019 H will be so in awe of you after the birth that you will be able to name him whatever you want.  

May 2020 FET; BFN
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• @akoros I love Alina. I contemplated Alina actually but I have a friend named it and i just thought of her every time I heard it (which I like her but too close of an association). 

@ellieemc26 , August William is so cute! I saw that Mandy Moore named her kiddo August recently and I was like awww! 

@disgruntled_pelican, Anya is such a nice name and I love it. 

@sgrn18, I would have also said Archer! Solid name. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• We have first names chosen and then 2nd middle names. We decided we will choose the full name after the baby is born as I don’t feel like discussing it again. We are telling nobody this time. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• @AKuzReve Agree with you on keeping it to yourselves and choosing the full name after the baby is born. Most of our families are fairly respectful, but even still I don't want to discuss it. We'll probably pick a short-list and then choose after seeing her. 
  • @disgruntled_pelican Anya is such a pretty name. Only time I’ve heard of it was the girl from the Queens Gambit series. 
    @sgrn18 I would’ve said Archer as well, the vote seems pretty unanimous!

We have our name picked out and we’ve been test driving it by calling my belly that. So far so good! 

• We are still set on Jacob and are going to use Harry as the middle for MIL’s late brother. We’ve mentioned the name to both our moms and DH’s dad and thankfully everyone seems to like it! 

@disgruntled_pelican we have a niece named Anya, Ani for short, and I think it’s super cute and not very common!
    *TTC History*

Me: 37, MH: 38; Married August 2017

TTC #1 October 2017: BFP on 12/1/2017, DD born 7/24/2018 @ 37+1 after induction due to preeclampsia

TTC #2 January 2020: AMA, dx with DOR in May 2020

IVF July 2020: 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 12 fertilized, 3 blasts, 2 PGT-A normal

FET 10/7/20: BFP on 10/12/20!!! (EDD 6/25/21); First beta 10/16/20 (9dpt): 148; Second beta 10/19/20 (12dpt): 621; Third beta 10/26/20 (19dpt): 4732; Fourth (and final!) beta 11/2/20 (26 dpt): 22,000+

• @disgruntled_pelican I love Anya!! I feel ya on having a popular name and not wanting to go popular/trendy on names! I have three boys and named them all (real - not made up) uncommon names and now all but one of them are kinda “trendy”. I want to name this baby (my first girl) an A name also, and I too worry about how popular A names are, even though the name I want to use is extremely UN-popular. So much so, that I wonder why it’s so unpopular, because I think it’s absolutely stunning. I have a hard time letting that go and worrying she will hate her name or people will talk behind our back wondering why we named our little girl this name. Worst part is, I’m very superstitious about names so I don’t say name choices to anyone - even to people on the web, lol. So, I can’t get opinions from you guys either. DOH!
    Trying to Conceive TickerMe: 41 DH: 42
    💙 DS1- 12/2011
    CP - March 2014
    MMC - Sept 2014
    💙DS2 - 10/2015
    💙DS3 - 5/2017
    💖DD due June 6, 2021
  • akorosakoros member
    edited February 2021
    @sgrn18 The "j" in Polish is pronounced as a "y", particularly when used just before a vowel. That's why it'll be thrown in to a name like Emilija to show that the pronunciation is "em-eel-ee-ya". Sometimes Ukrainian names are also transliterated that way from Cyrillic, my mother's maiden name starts "Ya" but we've seen the same name spelled "Ja". In Cyrillic there's a specific letter for the "ya" sound, which I'm guessing was replaced by "ja". 
  • @sgrn18 I really like Sam

@mrs_massie I like Wesley and Miles but I like Wesley better. I would totally be petty and not use Miles because of MIL 😆

@akoros I really like Emma 

@marebear15 no clue what we are naming this baby, we have a list but nothing feels quite right

@ramfam2507 I love Isabela

@laurad75 Quinn is such a cute name

@ellieemc26 that’s tough. Would you want to do 2 middle names? Or if your H is set on William for his dad, how about William Charles?

@disgruntled_pelican Anya is a great name, I don’t think that if is too trendy. Olive is also so cute. We are trying to fit that in somewhere because it was DH’s gram’s first name

@legallykate Jacob Harry is cute 

We have tossed around a few names-

-Evelyn (nn Eve/Evie)- dh was calling my stomach this last night
    -Allison (nn Allie)- I love Allie, Allison is ok
    -Madison (nn maddy) -we probably won’t use this though because my sister’s step daughter is Madeline (pronounced Madelyn) nn Maddie
    -Olivia (nn Liv/Livy)- DH isn’t a fan, he thinks Liv/Livy is to close a nn to Lil/Lilly 
    -Natalie (I really like this babe but would probably call her leelee which is so close to Lilly)

Middle name options at this point are Olive or Olivia, Louise, and May, all for DH’s family. I feel weird about May though because that is my middle name.
    Me: 38, DH: 37
    Married: 8/10/13
    BFP- 12/18/15, D&E- 4/8/16 @ 21w5d- confirmed Thanatophoric Dysplasia
    BFP- 11/7/17, M/C- 11/18/17 @ 4w6d
    BFP- 8/25/18 ~ EDD- 5/9/19 ~ DD born 5/2/20 *Lillian Hazel*
    BFP- 10/9/20 ~ EDD- 6/21/21

• @akoros it is a great name, I really like it. Do you go by any nicknames?

• @MelissaMay82 DD is Evelyn (nn Evie) so I am very partial to that! <3 
    *TTC History*

Me: 37, MH: 38; Married August 2017

TTC #1 October 2017: BFP on 12/1/2017, DD born 7/24/2018 @ 37+1 after induction due to preeclampsia

TTC #2 January 2020: AMA, dx with DOR in May 2020

IVF July 2020: 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 12 fertilized, 3 blasts, 2 PGT-A normal

FET 10/7/20: BFP on 10/12/20!!! (EDD 6/25/21); First beta 10/16/20 (9dpt): 148; Second beta 10/19/20 (12dpt): 621; Third beta 10/26/20 (19dpt): 4732; Fourth (and final!) beta 11/2/20 (26 dpt): 22,000+

• akorosakoros member
    edited February 2021
    @MelissaMay82 Mostly Nat, and there's one group of friends who call me Nattie (one started out with "Nattycakes" which was shortened to Nattie). Something I like about it is that it's unusual, in that I don't meet other Natalies very often, but common enough that no one has problems pronouncing it. It also works in a bunch of languages, which is kind of fun when I travel. They all put their own spin on it. 
  • @akoros One of my good friends is Nathalie but we started calling her Natty Lite in college after Natural Light beer. 🤣
  • @rvamom90 Haha, yup! It was never a steadily-uswd nickname, but there was one person who on occasion called me "Natty Lite".
  • @rvamom90 😂 definitely also had a friend in college we called Maddie Light after the beer
  • @akoros I was thinking Nat or Nattie for a nn, my mind does go to nattie light though hahaha. Ugh how much of that poison did I drink in college hahahahaha so many good memories.

• My youngest SIL is named Natalie and we call her Natters sometimes. She’s tried going by Tully, but it never stuck.
    Married <3 August 2010
    DD1  <3 August 2011
    DD2 <3 August 2013
    DD3 <3 February 2017
  • @disgruntled_pelican Tully is a cute nn, I would have never thought of that.

• akorosakoros member
    edited March 2021
    Fwiw, my friend developed a naming survey that might be helpful in thinking through names. In a spoiler since it's a little long: 

Naming Survey:

Name Structure:
    1. Sounds/Letters: are there any you love or hate?
    2. Do you care about the length of a name or potential for shortening or nicknames?
    3. Surname compatibility: Does your surname (last name) impact any names? (rhyming, initials spelling any words, etc.)

Name Inspiration:
    4. Word Meaning: Do you care about what a name means? If so, are there any characteristics/words/ meanings you like or dislike?
    5. Is there something (a book, movie, location, name meaning) that you would like to use as inspiration for your name?
    6. Honoring Someone: Would you like to honor someone (family member, friend, hero, fictional character, etc.) with your name? Or are there names you wish to avoid because they would be interpreted as naming after someone?
    7. Origin/Heritage: Is there a type of name origin or heritage you like or dislike? (for example: biblical, Japanese, Irish, French, native American)

Perceptions:
    8. Is there a general category of names you tend to like? Or strongly dislike? (Floral names, nature names, vintage, trendy, etc.)
    9. "Feel": Do you prefer a name that "feels" serious, creative, strong, cool, etc? What words best describe the name you are looking for?
    10. Popularity: How popular of a name (from "I want to find it on a keychain" to "the only person I know named it" and anywhere in between)? Does the popularity over time matter (is it okay if this name was popular in a previous generation)?

Rating:
    Which of these criteria matter the most to you? The least?