June 2021 Moms
Options

Post your Dinner Recipes

So just for fun and to take our minds off anything we may be stressing over or dealing with. In my past pregnancies, I have craved sweeter things. This pregnancy, I crave salty, carbs and REAL food. I've cooked A LOT in the last 8 months since quarantine started and I'm running out of yummy recipes to make for dinner and tired of the Pinterest fails.

Post your favorite dinner recipes below! Next week we can do desserts for those that are craving sweets.

Re: Post your Dinner Recipes

• Options
    I liked to make Unstuffed Peppers...its super easy, really good and its all done in one pan so easy clean up

• 1 lb. Ground beef or turkey 
    • 2 bell peppers, any color
    • 1/2 onion
    • 2 garlic cloves
    • Rao’s marinara sauce (24 oz total – any brand will work, but I use the Rao's because its sugar free)
    • Cauliflower rice – I prefer frozen vs. fresh. It has a better texture
    • Nutritional yeast-Optional (the original recipe calls for it, but i dont use it)
    • Coconut aminos 
    • 1 tsp oregano
    • tsp sea salt
    • 1/2 tsp black pepper
    • 1 tsp thyme
    • red pepper flakes, to taste ( I omit because I can't do spicy)

Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat.
    Add ground beef and cook 5-7 minutes until browned and cooked through. Remove from pan using a slotted spoon, and set aside.
    Add another tbsp of olive oil to the hot pan and add peppers, onions, and garlic. Saute until they begin to become translucent.
    Add in the riced cauliflower along with the salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes, and nutritional yeast.
    Sautee until the rice begins to soften, then add the ground beef back into the pan.
    Add the jar of marinara sauce, and coconut aminos, stir to combine, and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Maggie1202 Simple doesn't mean bad! I do something similar, sometimes with shrimp rather than chicken, and it's always great. Can throw in some broccoli florets or spinach to add some green veggies. 

We get Home Chef meals 3x a week to take the pressure off, but I still try to cook a few times a week. Here are some recent ones:

Sous Vide Roast Beef w/ Hasselback Potatoes and Seared Brussel Sprouts:

Meat (12-24 hours before):
    • Set water temp to 135F (or desired temperature)
    • Slice a few cloves of garlic in half. Stab your meat of choice (usually I use some sort of round, this time it was beef shoulder) a few times and stuff the holes with the garlic. Season liberally with salt, pepper, and any desired herbs (used thyme this go-around)
    • Seal the meat and put in the water bath when it's ready. Cook for 12-24 hours (NB: meat will technically be done after about 4 hours, but the longer cook time will make it more tender/flavorful; I'll do 12 hours for a round, up to 24 for a cut like shoulder that has more connective tissue)
    • Just before dinner, remove the meat from the bag and pat to dry (reserve any liquid from the bag). Put a heavy pan on high heat and sear each side for a couple of minutes.
    • You can use the "jus" from the bag as it is, or use it to make some sort of gravy/sauce. I made a mushroom sauce, adding sliced mushrooms and shallots to the hot pan after searing, then adding a splash of marsala wine (sherry also works) and the bagged "jus" once the vegetables have softened and simmer until it thickens a bit (I want to say 10 minutes?)
    • Non-SV: Without a sous vide, after prepping the meat with garlic and seasonings roast it in the oven at 375F for 30 minutes and then lower the heat to 225F and roast until your desired internal temperature (1.5-2.5 hours). Let rest for 20-30 minutes before slicing. If you use a metal roasting pan (or, cook in something like a cast iron pan) you can deglaze it while the meat rests and use that to make a gravy or sauce.
    Potatoes (~60-90 minutes before dinner): basically used these instructions from The Kitchn: https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-hasselback-potatoes-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-199763. This time around our potatoes were huge, so I first sliced in half lengthwise before baking. I also didn't bother with cheese or herbs, just salt, pepper, and butter

Brussel Sprouts:
    • Slice sprouts in half
    • Heat a large pan on medium-high heat, add oil, and then put the sprouts in (preferably cut-side down). Leave along for 4 minutes or so until they sear
    • Season with salt & pepper and stir to jostle up the sprouts. Add ~1/4 cup water and cover, letting them steam until done (5 minutes?)

Grilled Chicken w/ Sauteed Zucchini & Tomatoes:
    • Preheat grill to medium/medium-high. Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
    • We used bone-in thighs and legs, so we left only one side of the grill on and left the other burner off for indirect heat. For bone-in, when the grill is ready put chicken skin-side down on the direct heat (lit) side and grill, covered, for 5-6 minutes. Turn over and transfer to the unlit side of the grill and and cook, covered, for 20-25 minutes. About 15 minutes before it's done I brushed a mixture of BBQ sauce, apple cider vinegar, and hot sauce on top. For the last few minutes of cooking, flip the chicken over and baste sauce on the other side.
    • Slice zucchini ~1/4-1/2" thick, thinly slice a shallot, and cut some cherry tomatoes in half. Heat a large pan on medium-high heat, add oil, and put the zucchini in. Stir occasionally for 4-6 minutes until browned. Add shallot, tomatoes, salt & pepper, and sautee until vegetables are soft. I also added some herbes de provence at this stage, so add any other seasonings you'd like.

Lasagna: This is a vegetable lasagna that I adapted to include some sausage, because we like it that way

Ingredients:

• 12-14 lasagna noodles (NB: I use no-cook noodles from Trader Joe's)
    • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 
    • 1lb bulk Italian sausage (omit to make it vegetarian)
    • 1 cup (140 grams) chopped onion (1/2 large onion) 
    • 3 garlic cloves, minced 
    • 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or more to taste 
    • 2 medium zucchini, diced
    • 2 medium yellow squash, diced 
    • One (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped 
    • 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes 
    • dried basil and oregano
    • 1 cup chopped spinach (NB: I use frozen spinach, just defrost ahead of time)
    • One (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese or cottage cheese 
    • 2 large eggs 
    • 2 ounces (60 grams) parmesan cheese, grated (about 1 cup) 
    • 8 ounces (230 grams) low-moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded (NB: I usually don't measure, just use about 1 bag of shredded cheese)
    • Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste 

Directions:

1. COOK NOODLES: Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil then cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain and lay flat. (skip if using no-cook noodles)
    2. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish or spray with non-stick cooking spray. 
    3. PREPARE MEAT & VEGETABLES: Heat oil in a wide skillet with sides over medium heat. Add sausage and brown, breaking up any clumps. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until translucent; 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, zucchini, squash, and a pinch of salt then cook, stirring occasionally until softened but still with some crunch; 5 to 8 minutes. 
    4. FINISH SAUCE: Stir in the roasted red peppers and crushed tomatoes. Bring to a low simmer and cook until the liquid has thickened and reduced by half; 5 to 8 minutes. Add the basil and season to taste with additional salt and pepper. 
    5. MAKE CHEESE FILLING: Stir ricotta, eggs, and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a medium bowl until blended. Add defrosted chopped spinach 
    6. ASSEMBLE: Spoon just enough vegetable mixture into the baking dish to lightly cover the bottom (about 1 cup). Arrange four noodles lengthwise and side by side to cover the bottom. (If the noodles are short on one end, you may need to cut an extra noodle and place into dish to cover where the other noodles have not). Spread about half of the ricotta cheese mixture over the noodles. Sprinkle with a third of the parmesan cheese and a third of the mozzarella cheese. Top with a third of the vegetable mixture. Add another layer of four noodles then repeat with remaining cheese and vegetables. Finish with a final layer of noodles, vegetables, parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese.
    7. BAKE: Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake 20 minutes, uncover then bake 15 minutes until cheese is crusty around the edges. To make the cheese golden brown on top, slide under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes. Let rest 10 to 15 minutes before serving. 
    Seafood Paella:
    This one was new to me, but came out decently well. I used this recipe, with a couple of adjustments: https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/paella/
    • Skipped the chicken, we had a lot of extra mussels because I could only find 2lb bags and I added a little extra shrimp
    • Used Arborio rice -- I know, I know, she specifically says she doesn't recommend it, but I couldn't find Spanish or Calrose rice and figured it would be better than basmati. It seemed to work, except there was way too much liquid. Next time I'd cut the broth down to more like 3.5-4 cups
    • Used dry sherry instead of white wine, since I have an open bottle of sherry and didn't want to waste a bottle of wine (since I can't exactly drink the rest...)
  • Options

Crockpot Italian Beef

Ingredients

3 cups beef broth

1 (160z) jar pepperoncini’s

2 tbsp dry Italian seasoning

1 packet zesty Italian dressing mix

4 lbs beef (bottom round roast)

Directions

1. To crockpot, add beef broth, pepperoncini’s (juice and all), Italian seasoning, and zesty Italian packet (I use the Good Seasons brand, found in salad dressing isle). Give everything a good mix

2. Trim fat off the beef and cut into quarters. Add to crockpot

3. Cover and cook on LOW 7-8 hours

4. Once done, use two forks to shred beef

5. Best served on a hard bun. Place some provolone cheese on top and melt under broiler. Serve with the juice for dipping

Me: 38, DH: 37
    Married: 8/10/13
    BFP- 12/18/15, D&E- 4/8/16 @ 21w5d- confirmed Thanatophoric Dysplasia
    BFP- 11/7/17, M/C- 11/18/17 @ 4w6d
    BFP- 8/25/18 ~ EDD- 5/9/19 ~ DD born 5/2/20 *Lillian Hazel*
    BFP- 10/9/20 ~ EDD- 6/21/21

• Options
    The other night I made turkey dumpling soup (like chicken dumpling, but used up frozen leftover turkey and stock from Thanksgiving). Used this recipe, subbing some chopped cooked turkey for the chicken (added it with the stock, since it was already cooked) and homemade turkey stock for the chicken broth: https://www.aspicyperspective.com/chicken-and-dumplings-soup-recipe/

Came out really well!

• Options
    @akoros this sounds soooo good right now! We've gotten a lot of snow here in the last few days and I just want to eat something hot and sit by the fire!
  • Options
    @mrs_massie Yup, made it on Tuesday and it was totally perfect with the cold weather! I'd originally planned to make chicken noodle soup and then realized that this is basically the same thing except dumplings instead of noodles (using ingredients we already had).