September 2014 Moms
Options

Pregnant and I have BV. So Scared!!!

Not sure just how far along I am. I have an US appt this Friday to check for proper growth, hb, & fetal pole. I also recently found out that I have bacterial vaginosis, I have my prescription for it, though I have yet to get it filled mainly because I don't have the money to do so, and also I am scared to take the medication while I'm pregnant nonetheless early in my pregnancy. My obgyn said its fine to take it, but I'm still nervous. I heard that the infection can cause birth defects if not treated as well as termination of pregnancy...I honestly don't want to think negatively but I can't help but worry. Has any of you ladies had this issue, please help. I will be ableto get my prescription filled nxt week when my fiancee gets paid, just don't know how much damage it may have already caused, or how long I can keep going being untreated. I don't want to hurt my baby. This is my saddest post ever, and I don't know what to do.

Re: Pregnant and I have BV. So Scared!!!

• Options

Not sure just how far along I am. I have an US appt this Friday to check for proper growth, hb, & fetal pole. I also recently found out that I have bacterial vaginosis, I have my prescription for it, though I have yet to get it filled mainly because I don't have the money to do so, and also I am scared to take the medication while I'm pregnant nonetheless early in my pregnancy. My obgyn said its fine to take it, but I'm still nervous. I heard that the infection can cause birth defects if not treated as well as termination of pregnancy...I honestly don't want to think negatively but I can't help but worry. Has any of you ladies had this issue, please help. I will be ableto get my prescription filled nxt week when my fiancee gets paid, just don't know how much damage it may have already caused, or how long I can keep going being untreated. I don't want to hurt my baby. This is my saddest post ever, and I don't know what to do.

I also heard that the Flagyl can hurt the baby, or cause termination of the pregnancy...#HELP
  • Options
    Believe it or not - you CAN take antibiotics (  not all of course) when you are pregnant. You don't want BV to run wild while you are pregnant. I had it with my first pregnancy - and I took the antibiotics with no issue. Can't remember what was taken. Remember we have to decide when we take meds - if the benefits outweigh the risk - and this is one of those cases. Have your doctor explain the risks and why they picked that specific medication - but you can't go on without treating it.
    --------------
    PCOS , incompetent cervix, gestational diabetes, IVF graduate, with one ovary!
    1 angel baby due to a 20 week M/C thanks to IC
    1 ovary due to a benign tumor that crushed my ovary
    About 6 years of pointlessly POAS
    Proud mommy of a 2.5 year old  girl
    Currently pregnant with baby #2 surprise BFP -  Team Blue until proven otherwise

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think your are being insane not taking the medicine. You know that allowing your infection to continue comes with drastic increased risks of birth defects and pretern labor; however, you are worried about what taking a medication might do?? Your logic is not really logic here.

I would 100% take the medicinfilled and I am a very big anti-med person while pregnant. Find a way to get the script filled. How are you going to be able to afford other medical issues if they arrive or the birth?
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Options
    Did you really use "#HELP"? This is not Twitter or Facebook. This is also not webMD, it is a message board. Internet strangers are not the people to be seeking medical from.

Speak to your doctor about your concerns. If you do not trust your doctor's decisions, then it is time to get a second opinion.

• Options
    Guarantee if you actually tell your OB that you can't afford the meds, s/he will find a sample pack for you or direct the hospital to provide it via charity care. Man up and be responsible. Talk to your doc.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Take the medicine! No question.

• Options
    roashem2008roashem2008 member
    edited February 2014
    If you don't trust your OB to prescribe you meds that won't hurt your baby you probably need a new doc. BV can cause preterm labor and harm your baby, don't be silly, take the meds.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The benefits of taking the metronidazole (flagyl) outweigh the risks.  I would take the medication if I were you.  The good thing is that BV is treatable, and it's fairly common.  Also, not sure about in your state but I think metronidazole is on the $4 formulary at most pharmacies.  You should check in on that.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had BV right after I found out I was pregnant. I contacted my doctor immediately, informed them that I was pregnant, and they wrote me a prescription for an antibiotic (I want to say they wrote for oral clindamycin). I began taking it immediately, and everything is fine with the baby so far.

Pregnant women are more prone to bacterial infections, so lots of pregnant women take antibiotics during pregnancy. Don't worry about taking the meds; it's way better than leaving the bacterial infection untreated.

As far as not having the money to fill the meds, I think you should talk to family members and see if they will let you borrow the money. If that doesn't work, tell your doctor and pharmacist the situation and see if they have any advice. I wouldn't wait until next week to begin treatment.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    kmbk27kmbk27 member
    edited February 2014
    Unless he/she is a quack, your OB wouldn't perscribe you meds that would be harmful to you or the baby. Find a way to fill the script - even if you have to call your OB for a generic or sample pack, and take the meds. I had BV diagnosed at my first appointment and have had no issues since taking and finishing the meds. If you don't trust your OB find a new one. It really is that simple.

^^^ September Signature: TV series I plan on binge watching with my newborn I do what I want. ^^^

image    image

<3 Gage Douglas 09.04.2014...my sunshine after the rain.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"