August 2021 Moms
Options

Clothes!

Thought we could start a thread to talk about clothing. What are you buying, what are you loving, what didn't work for you? I am struggling with finding nice things that fit well and I'm just generally frustrated with all online shopping that needs to happen due to covid.
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 

Re: Clothes!

• Options
    I love the maternity clothes from Old Navy.  They're not as expensive as other maternity stores.  I especially love their dresses.  So comfortable and they lasted me through two pregnancies, so even though they're cheaper they weren't falling apart.

• Options
    I’m cheap when it comes to clothes so I buy a lot of the more pricey brands off FB marketplace. I have yet to find a pair of jeans I like though so I’m planning to find at least 1  pair I like this time no matter how much I have to spend on them! I pretty much lived in leggings, shorts, and dresses the last 2 pregnancies. I love Target’s dresses and Burlington often has cute cheap shirts too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i wear many of the GAP tops. I have a few pairs of maternity jeans, always bought from eBay. Otherwise I just wear tee and sweats/ leggings.
  • Options
    Last time my maternity clothes were an abomination, I hated everything and wanted to burn it by the end. They were mostly sourced from Tj Maxx and Motherhood Maternity, just cheap crappy stuff. Too many horizontal stripes. This time I want nicer stuff but also don't want to spend in excess for clothes I'll only wear a few months. Last time I lived in a very temperate climate, but now I'm somewhere where it's freezing cold currently and will be extremely hot in a few months, so I'm avoiding buying much warmer things so I'm basically freezing in non-maternity leggings and just finally started wearing a few maternity shirts from target. I do have a couple nice dresses from Asos I'm excited about, but still too cold to make much use of those just yet. I decided to request a stitch fix to give myself some options and I signed up for a Le Tote this morning too, hopefully that gives me some variety and I can find some nicer pieces. I just hate looking frumpy, I already feel crappy about my body and I'd love to have clothes that make me feel good. I also struggle because I can't deal with over the belly which eliminates a lot of clothing. I just keep shopping online and not buying anything because it all seems pricey and ugly. I wish we could go in stores! I'll let you guys know how the Le Tote works out and Stitch Fix. Le Tote has a ton of stuff on super sale (to buy, not rent) too btw and they tend to have nicer pieces.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Options
    Here's what I picked out from Le Tote
  • Options
    And while I'm being an AW, I decided to just buy these too since they were cheap and seemed cute. It's final sale so if they don't work I'll probably be able to sell on eBay considering the original price of these.
  • Options
    Can we talk about why there are so many horizontal stripes in the maternity section? WHY?! 

imageimage

• Options
    claireloSCclaireloSC member
    edited January 2021
    @ladyk127 been there! poor thing. this is why it's impossible to shop for maternity clothes in a pandemic. 

@MegStark Yes!! Why? It's like they hate us.
  • Options
    @ladyk127 been there! poor thing. this is why it's impossible to shop for maternity clothes in a pandemic. 

@MegStark Yes!! Why? It's like they hate us.
    I remember the last time I was pregnant and in GAP with my DH... I said "I need to find the maternity section" and even HE said, "just look for the stripes". Ugh. 

imageimage

• Options
    I also feel like there is just a specific style that stores expect us to like when we're pregnant. I'm very picky about my clothes, and most of what I find out there is NOT my taste. I'm probably sticking to basic solid colored tops, and just dressing it up with fun shoes, jewelry and scarves. A lot of the clothes I see look cute on other people, but it's just not me, and I already don't feel like myself with my ever-expanding body.

Honestly, because we've been trying to get pregnant for years, I have a collection of flowy dresses that I've bought from an Orthodox Jewish clothing label called Mimu Maxi. They're not maternity clothes, but they definitely work for it. And I like supporting small business. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Shopping online for maternity clothes is so hard. I thought I won the lottery when I bought a super cheap lot of used mat jeans and shirts. It worked out okay. Half the shirts had stains and 5/6 of the jeans fit. A friend is lending me some things. I sized up a lot of tunics from Chicos that will work anf bought some comfy undies from Kindred Bravely. As someone with GERD and MS I just can't have anything tight around my stomach. I also want to look put together this time around! 

The other day I just donated all of my stuff in storage and moved my non maternity stuff to the basement. Only mat stuff is in my bedroom now and it is so much easier to get dressed.
    Me: 35 Husband: 40
    TTC #2: Jan 2019
     DS: 2.5 yo 
     EDD: 12/2/16 DOB: 10/22/16
    (Previously MBS2016 Dec 2016 board
    <3         <3 
  • Options
    @bobbyflies2020 I feel like mat clothes are like toddler clothes - trying to reuse them they are all stretched out, dirty, stained and so on as most moms wear them through the spitup and poopsplosion stages. Good idea of moving your stuff downstairs, that has been annoying me too, my drawers are full of clothes I can't wear.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I actually only shop for clothes online (even pre-pandemic), so I'm hoping that part of maternity clothes shopping in COVID times won't be too frustrating for me... I'm the queen of ordering tons of stuff/multiple sizes of everything and then returning what I don't want, anyone else do that? Recommendations for maternity brands with particularly good return policies?
  • Options
    Has anyone tried Pea in the Pod subscription service? I’m tempted because I have to dress up for work every day (usually dresses and heels). This will probably be our last kid so I don’t want to spend a fortune on nice work clothes but I need stuff that looks and wears well for clients.

@claireloSC I also reactivated my StitchFix today too! I had a lot of success with it last pregnancy.

@jynjer3 I’m also buying one nice pair of my jeans that I’ll just wear into the ground.
  • Options
    @surrenderdorothy the Pea in the Pod thing is exactly what Le Tote is! 
  • Options
    @claireloSC Yes, that is totally true. Also, this pregnancy my body seems extra gross. I am sweating a lot more and wear natural deodorant, which doesn't help. I did get a few shirts from a place called PatPat. The quality is pretty cheap, but good for the price. However- I think I spilled and stained through the pits on its first wear, hah!

I do like the fact that I now have ~10 pairs of mat jeans. Most are full panel Gap, Old Navy and Jessica Simpson brand. I wear them everyday working from home and so it is nice to not be constantly running out.
    <3         <3 
  • Options
    Also, I heard that the StitchFix maternity is sooooo good. I have also heard that Walmart maternity is actually OK, too!
    <3         <3 
  • Options
    I loved the items I got from stitchfix last time and plan on doing it again this time!!  The more feedback you give them the better your selections will be.  *you can actually say NO STRIPES* 
  • Options
    I haaaaaaaate maternity clothes. I'm pretty sure I only own like 10 pieces of maternity clothing. Most of my pieces are from Target and Old Navy. I just can't justify spending the money on something I only wear for a few months and hate. I may get a few new t-shirts for Summer (since both of my other babies were born in January)...and a couple of dresses. But that's probably it. I went to Hawaii for a "babymoon" with my last baby and bought a few non-maternity dresses on Amazon that I still wear today. They were probably my favorite purchase last pregnancy. 

• Options
    since this pregnancy was a surprise.... when I told my sister over the weekend she told me she just got rid of her whole box of maternity clothing.  She put it on Facebook as free to get rid of it.  Blah!

I haven’t started shopping yet though.  Hoping to not need too much until the summer because of the late august due date.  Is that wishful thinking?  I’m new to this 😂
  • Options
    claireloSCclaireloSC member
    edited January 2021
    @bonanza1226 you will def need stuff by around 20 weeks at the latest? So you'll still have late spring and all of summer where you can't get away with normal clothes I'd say.

@cyanope that dress looks cute! I'm loving maxi dresses for my summer/spring wardrobe, I might get that one!
  • Options
    @bonanza1226 August 30 due date here, I'm hoping to make it until solidly warm weather before I need to transition to pregnancy-friendly styles, it seems like it would be ideal to be able to get away with just wearing loose/maxi dresses (like the one @cyanope posted) rather than having to buy maternity-specific stuff. That may be wishful thinking though, I know there's every chance I pop sooner even though it's my first.
  • Options
    @the_most_happy, I didn’t need maternity clothes until well past 20 weeks with my first. BUT, I’m also super tall, so I didn’t show much until about 24 weeks. Totally different story this time around. I’ll probably be busting out the maternity pants in the next month or so! 
  • Options
    Oh man I just googled maternity clothes and the first thing that popped up was stripes. 
  • Options
    @cyanope these dresses were my quarantine wear. I love them! Completely forgot about them until you posted that pic. Thanks for the reminder that they will work for mat clothes, too! For fellow shorties, I just knotted the skirt at the bottom if I didn’t want it to be so long. 
  • Options
    @cyanope nooo I was solidly not needing maternity clothes the first time around until 20 wks too. Is it going to be that different 2nd time around? 

@the_most_happy I did the hair band on the button/using bellyband with my jeans into beginning of my 2nd trimester and then did soft stretchy leggings. My first one was born in dec so I got away with just wearing maternity camisole/undershirt and buying a few baggy/boxy sweaters to wear with leggings. I honestly spent more money on nursing clothes (a lot of which are also maternity friendly) than on actual maternity clothes. I'm planning on trying to get by this time around with longer loose dresses even if not from maternity stores. I was also happy with H&M maternity clothes, surprisingly. Old navy is good for casual wear. 

@surrenderdorothy if you'd rather rent rather than buy, rent the runway has maternity subscriptions i think. No personal experience but may be fun and you won't end up with mat clothes to resell. 
  • Options
    @bonanza1226 my DD is also an August baby. I was able to wear most of my regular shorts and just bought maternity tanks for the late spring and summer. 

I just pulled out my maternity stuff and found a horrible horizontal blue and white striped Motherhood Maternity shirt. It will not be living at my house much longer. I don’t think I wore it once last time either. I pretty much lived in maxi skirts and old navy maternity dresses last time when I was working. I’m not looking forward to trying to find a life jacket that will fit for the summer (we spend a lot of time on our boat/on the lake every summer). 
  • Options
    @hannelorre, I made it to about 20 weeks with my second, but this is my third! I’d be surprised if I made it to 16 weeks this time around! 
  • Options
    I’ve now bought 2 pairs of maternity jeans that don’t fit me :( one at target but didn’t use the changing rooms and the other on Amazon.  The little quiz said I’d be a medium but I’m definitely a large.  It was so much easier last pregnancies when I could actually try on in person.  I can still wear some of my leggings and joggers and one pair of pants but I know I’d be so much more comfortable if I could get some real maternity clothes.   
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I'm feeling enormous already. I know it's just bloat, but it's not bloat that I can suck in anymore so now I just look enormously pregnant all the time  :D ETA: didn't finish my thought. Definitely need to pull out/purchase more maternity clothes now. UGH. Vertical stripes, here I come.
  • Options
    I did a Stitch Fix order today. I put "as cheap as possible" for the price range. Let's hope I get at least a few "keepers!" I'm not usually so cheap, but spending $$$ on maternity clothes makes me cringe!
  • Options
    You'll have to model what you get @cyanope ! I agree, it's so annoying to spend a ton of money on clothes you're wearing for mere months given seasonal changes. @Clobert I bought out the black maternity pants section at my local target and then returned every single one after I'd brought them home to try them on.  :s It's hard to get the right clothes in a pandemic! I can't believe you guys can make it to 20 weeks without wearing mat clothes. I have a very short torso so I need them all of the second trimester. This was me 2 days before my due date, wearing a maternity short that got too small

• Options
    OMG @cyanope I'm def gonna need to post a HDBD thread now.  Your first pic is basically me now. I'm 5'3". 
  • Options
    @claireloSC solidarity from one short torso woman to another. Although I’m 5’1 so you got some height on me. Only place for this baby to go is out. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I got my Stitch Fix box today and I’m so annoyed. I specifically put in all my feedback that I hate floral prints and stripes. I wear mostly solids, and need stuff that looks professional. I made clear that the purpose of this box is work clothes. This is what they sent me. You can’t tell from the pic but that thin SUNDRESS is a double whammy of vertical AND horizontal stripes. 😑😑😑😑

This is exactly why I stopped Stitch Fix awhile ago. No matter what feedback I gave them, they sent me exactly what I didn’t ask for. Ugh. 

• Options
    @surrenderdorothy ugh that is so disappointing! 

I’ve been browsing online tonight in the hopes of ordering some basics to supplement what I have, and man do I hate everything out there. 😩
  • Options
    Oh that’s such a bummer @surrenderdorothy !! I switched mine to maternity and told them that I wanted to steer away from the fluttery styles they keep sending. I hope they switch it up. Mine is coming soon. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @pickle-chips I was browsing all afternoon and found a few plain things at Target but otherwise couldn’t find anything I liked on a bunch of different sites. Also everything is still winter for maternity and it was 70 here today so not looking for sweaters.

@emmylou78 let us know! I switched over to maternity so hopefully you get a few pieces more to your liking.