September 2021 Moms
Options

COVID vaccine plans?

Sorry if this gets contentious I’m just curious what others plans are... the vaccine is just starting to roll out in my area and predictions are that most people will get it by the end of the summer.

Right now I’m thinking I’ll wait at least until baby is born, possibly until BFing is done before getting it. Obviously this means continuing to social distance etc. but I think it’s worth it. I doubt there have been any vaccine trials which included pregnant women and I don’t want to take that chance.

What do you guys think? Agree? Disagree?

Re: COVID vaccine plans?

• Options
    @muggsd there were some trials where women did get pregnant, but yes pregnancy was excluded from the studies, and from what I’ve read women who became pregnant between doses were excluded from the second dose of the study. 

AFM, I’m waiting to talk to my RE and OB before I make a decision. I work closely with kids in a school setting, which makes me really nervous about my potential level of exposure. But I’m nervous about a brand new vaccine too. I’ve done some research and everything seems so mixed (obviously getting COVID while pregnant is really not ideal), which is why I want to ask my doctors!
  • Options
    I'm waiting until at least after the pregnancy.  I will probably get it eventually, I'm just not in any hurry.  I work from home and am in a lower risk category. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I won’t be getting it. It’s emergency approved not FDA approved and with no testing on pregnant women I wouldn’t feel comfortable taking that risk. Especially with new vaccine technology being used. For me, I’m younger and healthy, I’m not around elderly or at risk people. I also had it back in October and studies are looking like there’s more of a lasting immunity now, we’ll see if that changes in the coming months though. 
  • Options
    williams-jenwilliams-jen member
    edited January 2021
    I’m going to get it. As a veterinarian I am supposed to be in phase 1b in my state. Surely the vaccine would be safer than actually getting the virus. We had a covid outbreak in our clinic this past summer. I was the only doctor who could keep working and it was hell. I want to keep working, and be safe, and the vaccine will allow me to do that.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I’m not getting it. There isn’t enough data and I want to see what happens long term with the people who are getting it. 
  • Options
    I’m very much pro vaccines. All of my kids are fully vaccinated as am I. However, we don’t ever get any new vaccines. I wait and see with any new vaccine. That’s just my own personal preference. It’s not me not trusting science it’s just me taking extra precautions for me and my family. 
  • Options
    @emeraldcity1214 I really hope my comment didn't come across as offensive. I just wanted to provide some context around my personal position. I was super hesitant about the covid vaccines, too, especially given the timeline in which they were developed. I didn't want to be a pioneer, ya know? 
  • Options
    @poodledoodleooo No, you’re comment didn’t come off that way. Neither did @Aerialmrs. I just don’t feel it’s my “duty” to possibly put me and my family at risk with this vaccine when I would never do it with any other vaccine. I do things in a certain way because it’s what is best for my family. I expect every other person to do the same. I want to see that it’s safe and that 6 months or even a year down the road we aren’t seeing some unforeseen side effects from it. 

I also can’t get over the fact that they weren’t even recommending people who were TTC to get the vaccine. They said you needed to stop TTC for 2 months after the second dose and then suddenly, with no data to back it up, they said it’s safe. I’m not willing to be the test subject for that. 

Also, someone in my state got the vaccine and then tested positive for COVID 2 weeks later. So I’m not really going to feel much more safer with the vaccine than without at this point. 
  • Options
    @emeraldcity1214 if you're thinking of the Dr and member of TTGP that initially shared that information regarding the vaccine and TTC that was when information regarding the vaccine was limited but I believe she has since gotten the vaccine and continued to TTC. I haven't stayed up to date with all the details but those recommendations have changed as we have learned more which is what happens in these situations and what we experienced at the beginning of the pandemic as protocols changed as experts learned more. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Options
    @krash_ I lurk TTGP do I have stayed up to date with everything she has posted. I’m still planning to wait and see. Like you said, things change quickly and expert opinions oscillated back and forth a lot in the beginning. I need to wait and see how the opinions evolve over the next several months before I feel comfortable with it. 
  • Options
    @IdleFancy Oh wow! I didn't realized any states bumped pregnant people up the list! That's pretty cool! Rollout has been a mess where I am, too. Our public health department is overloaded and underfunded  :(
  • Options
    @Aerialmrs Yeah, it was pretty unexpected and not going by the suggested schedule at all. Unfortunately, I think what contributed to the decision is that we’ve had a few tragic cases in pregnant women here.  :'( 

I really wish the roll out were going better, all around. It’s so disheartening. Having a fully vaccinated population is going to be *such* a relief, especially with all our little ones coming into the world. 
  • Options
    I think everyone is a little scared because we value our health, but it's also scary to get sick. I've read a lot about the pros and cons of the vaccine, that it only works for a short time, but it's better than putting yourself at risk. 
  • Options
    I would probably get it if available and if I’m eligible by then. I would discuss with my OB first but leaning towards yes.
  • Options
    @Aerialmrs I’d like to see your resources if you don’t mind sharing

I work in a behavioral health hospital and am eligible to get the vaccine through them now. I was going to sign up while TTC but now that I am newly pregnant I was thinking of waiting a few weeks in case I would run a high fever after. It’s a very hard decision. 
  • Options
    @Aerialmrs I’d also be interested in your info. As of now I’m probably not going to get vaccinated while pregnant/while nursing. I would have wanted to see more data on pregnant and nursing parents before I would vaccinate while pregnant. I’m generally very pro vaccine but in this case I think I’m extremely low risk as a SAHM and homeschooling. My kids and I don’t go out frequently and when we do we follow all the guidelines (masks/distancing/hand washing etc). When I can see more numbers on info use during pregnancy I’ll consider getting vaccinated. 
  • Options
    AerialmrsAerialmrs member
    edited January 2021
    @whatabout2ndbreakfast and @fuscok88

The ACOG recommendation is the best, most comprehensive information that I've found so far, and from a source that is trustworthy IMO, so I would suggest starting here! https://www.acog.org/clinical/clinical-guidance/practice-advisory/articles/2020/12/vaccinating-pregnant-and-lactating-patients-against-covid-19

I also love the Sawbones podcast just on a regular basis. They're opinionated for sure, but she's an attending physician (so she teaches resident doctors), and really tries hard to make healthcare information accessible. They addressed this question head-on in this episode here: https://maximumfun.org/episodes/sawbones/covid-vaccine-questions-and-answers/

And here's the CDC page on it for good measure: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/pregnancy.html

In general, it has helped me to do some research on how mRNA vaccines work. The nature of the function of that type of vaccine doesn't pose any kind of risk to unborn babies. 

ETA: For what it's worth, because of my job, I am around kids and adults almost every day, and while we're all masked, we can't always appropriately distance, and I feel that I am not in a low-risk atmosphere. Yesterday I pre-registered to get the vaccine through my local health department, citing pregnancy as my comorbidity. I'm not sure if they'll consider that valid and call me with phase 1C, but I did it anyway just in case!
  • Options
    *Also I have some business travel coming up as well.
  • Options
    Yes, 100%! As soon as it's offered to me I'll be getting the vaccine. I've a family full of doctors and nurses and we are all so excited for and comforted by this little sliver of hope amongst the chaos that has been this past year 💚
  • Options
    @chewie5990 thanks for sharing! I work in a pk-2 elementary school, so I’m also in a high-risk environment. I forgot to ask my RE yesterday at my appointment, but will definitely be asking their thoughts next week. I anticipate it will be similar to what your OB told you. I’ve been most nervous about the possible fever side effect, but from the little bit of research I’ve done it isn’t super common, and typically isn’t a “true” fever, or at least not a high one. 
  • Options
    @runningoncookies yeah -  my OB also said if you don't typically run a fever after the flu shot then you probably won't run a fever after the COVID shot..and they have mostly been seeing low grade fevers 99 - 101 that don't last very long. 
  • Options
    @chewie5990 Thanks for sharing that info from your OB! 

@cassafrass123 How long has it been since your last dose? I bet it feels great to have the protection! I'd love to hear anything you'd like to share about your experience!

• Options
    @chewie5990 thank you for sharing! I think I’m going to wait until out of the first tri. I’d say my job is mid risk due to our patients not always being willing or able to wear masks, although they are tested and screened before admission (I work at a behavioral health hospital). 
  • Options
    Thank you all for sharing your personal experiences and the research you have found thus far.

Honestly, I'm jealous of all of y'all that have the option of getting the vaccine now. I work at a medical research university that is strictly following the state guidelines for distribution. I had a long talk with my OB and my partner and believe that getting the vaccine is what is best for both me and my little one, so I would like to do this soon (while pregnant).
  • Options
    I thought of the "wait and see" approach regarding long term side effects. But this is not the first mRNA vaccine, and there are not long term side effects with others, as mRNA strands are quickly broken down by enzymes and do not linger in your body. The spike protein that the mRNA is programming your cells to make is itself harmless and temporary.

However, there can be known long term side effects of covid, including long term respiratory, neurological, even cardiac complications. So when weighing the risk of something long term, I'd go with the vaccine. 
  • Options
    There are so many opinions, I even get lost. Some are ready for it, some are not. All I know is that I want to be healthy and make sure it doesn't hurt me or my kids. 
  • Options
    Aerialmrs said:@cassafrass123 How long has it been since your last dose? I bet it feels great to have the protection! I'd love to hear anything you'd like to share about your experience!

I received my 2nd dose on 1/9. I was wiped out afterwards for about 2 days. No fever or chills, just exhausted. I was a little tired after the first but nothing like the 2nd. My arm was just a little sore both times. I received the Pfizer vaccine. They say it takes a few weeks afterwards to gain the full protection and it has been a relief. Though, now I’m immunocompromised due to the pregnancy so I feel like safety-wise I haven’t really moved the needle. My parents, the only people in our bubble, will be unvaccinated until the end of May, and are considered high risk too. So, until they have theirs I will still be nervous. I’m still following a very strict safety routine at work, in the transition between work and home, and at home.
  • Options
    I’m not sure what the status is in Canada because when I went to check eligibility, the website said they weren’t offering the vaccine to pregnant people yet. I hope that they will soon. I would go through my specific situation with my OB in case there’s anything that would have them recommend against getting it, but otherwise I’m on board. From what I understand, the risks of an mRNA vaccine are much lower than the risks of getting COVID.
  • Options
    admittedly I have only skimmed many of these responses but I’ll give my two cents - I am on the fence but at this point leaning towards getting it in my 3rd trimester (if it’s available to me). one of my best friends is a nurse in a hospital in NYC. She’s currently in her 2nd trimester and plans on getting it during her 3rd. She mentions that the fatigue and discomfort from the vaccine would be really hard with a newborn so she’d rather do it before the baby comes. She also spoke about how they’ve delivered several babies with covid positive moms where the placenta is full of blood clots. That was the thing that pushed me more towards wanting to get it. I’d definitely wait until 3rd trimester though when the baby is fully formed. That’s my opinion. 
  • Options
    chewie5990chewie5990 member
    edited January 2021
    I'm already registered to get it, but still waiting for my actual appointment time. I'm in the 1b phase in my state as a teacher and they just started that phase so I'm hoping I'll get it within the next month or so! I'v been feeling extra anxious at work because I'm so exposed - just last week I had 4 students test positive. I've just been super strict on mask wearing in my classroom and I stay by my desk (about 10 ft away from the student desks) as much as possible. One good thing about having to pee all the time is that I'm washing my hands so much more now instead of just relying on sanitizer throughout the day.
  • Options
    Lurker here, I work in a hospital as an RN and got my first dose likely 3 or 4 days before we conceived this kiddo. I went ahead with the second dose as planned due to ACOG and my OB both recommending it. Only side effect I experienced was a sore arm. 
  • Options
    @huskermom14 Me too! Glad to have someone with a similar experience! Which one did you get? I got Pfizer.