June 2021 Moms

What We Are Reading - January

_orchid__orchid_ member
edited January 2021 in June 2021 Moms
Happy January, book people of June 2021! Tell us what you are reading this month (even if it's just lists and lists of names!)

Current read: 

Last read:

Are your someone who sets reading goals? If so, what are your 2021 goals?

Re: What We Are Reading - January

• Current Read: Oh Crap Potty Training - it’s a riveting read! 

Last read: Blue Bistro by Elin Hildebrand my favorite author, she writes easy light beach reads and I frequently re read her books. 

• Current read: "The Trespasser" by Tana French

Last read: "The Kiss Quotient" by Helen Hoang. I read it in about 2 days after finishing "Say Nothing" by Patrick Radden Keefe. The latter was really good, but needed something light to follow it up with

Are your someone who sets reading goals? If so, what are your 2021 goals? Not really, I always like to read a lot so don't really see a need to set a goal. Occasionally I'll try to track my reading just out of curiosity, but usually I'm more focused on finding what to read next
  • Loading the player...
  • Current read: One by One by Ruth Ware

Last read: A Girl Betrayed by A. L. Aborn - my friend wrote this book, it is really good!

Are your someone who sets reading goals? If so, what are your 2021 goals? I normally don’t set goals but ultimately I would like to read a book a month at least until June, after June I have no reading expectations.

@klj0228 I love elin hilderbrand. I met her once on Nantucket. I am half way through Barefoot. I’ll pick it back up when I finish One By One.
    Me: 38, DH: 37
    Married: 8/10/13
    BFP- 12/18/15, D&E- 4/8/16 @ 21w5d- confirmed Thanatophoric Dysplasia
    BFP- 11/7/17, M/C- 11/18/17 @ 4w6d
    BFP- 8/25/18 ~ EDD- 5/9/19 ~ DD born 5/2/20 *Lillian Hazel*
    BFP- 10/9/20 ~ EDD- 6/21/21

• Current Read/ Last Read: I am currently plowing through the Bridgerton Collection. I’m on book 6. 

I don’t set reading goals. I just try and replace mindless scrolling with reading and to read before bed instead of getting on social media.

@akoros I keep trying to read Tana French books because they are right up my alley. I’ve read 3 maybe 4 so far and there’s just something not clicking. I’ve checked out The Trespasser but I haven’t read it. Do you like Tana French? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • laurad75laurad75 member
    edited January 2021
    @_orchid_ Thank you for starting this!

@klj0228 @MelissaMay82 I love Elin too. My husband knows her professionally so we have spent time with her on Nantucket and I have to really concentrate to not act like a fan girl.  

Who else is on Goodreads?  Here is my profile  

Current read: Exit 14 (a friend wrote it and it will be published later this winter) and American Dirt; On Audible I'm listening to Born a Crime by Trevor Noah. 

Last read: The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarty - Meh.  It was the last of her books that I had not read and compared to the others it's kind of disappointing.  

Are your someone who sets reading goals? If so, what are your 2021 goals?  I set a goal to read 28 books this year and also I'm going to try and not purchase any new books this year.  I have a huge shelf of books I own but haven't read that I need to get through!
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• @laurad75 that is super cool you have hung out with elin, she seems awesome!
    What exactly is good reads? I have heard of it but have not used it.

• Current read: Under Our Skin by Benjamin Watson

Last read: Persuasion by Jane Austen

Are your someone who sets reading goals? If so, what are your 2021 goals? My reading goals are 12 books, 1 a month which is so so sad compared to how much I used to read, but I figure any reading is better than nothing at all. Also, I'd like to mix up my reading and throw in some bios, devotionals, and informational books on parenting and marriage. I usually just read a lot of novels.
  • @Omie_Wise So far I've only read "The Witch Elm", which I really liked. So far I'm literally on page 1 of "The Trespasser", so don't know yet
  • @MelissaMay82 @laurad75 a little jealous of you two! It’s nice to find others who enjoy her books. I’ve introduced many of my friends to her books because I think they are awesome reads. Silver Girl and The Island are probably my two favorites. 
  • Omie_WiseOmie_Wise member
    edited January 2021
    @akoros The witch elm was creepy! Her twists and turns are very crafty. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm currently reading the Percy Jackson books 😂 my little brother couldn't believe I didn't read them when we were younger so he made me.
    It's a fun light read though I'm not mad
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @klj0228 oh crap was my potty training bible! I recommend it all the time! GL! 
    @laurad75 it's so hard not to buy new ones! I loved listening to Trevor Noah read his book. 
    @MelissaMay82 Goodreads is an app to help you keep track/organize books you read. You can also see other people's reviews/ratings of books. I have a friend who doesn't have much time to read, and she will not read anything that's rated under a 4 on GR the get the most out of her time. 
    @akoros @Omie_Wise I love Tana French! I have listened to all her books except for her most recent one, the searcher, which I read with my eyes. That one was the one I liked the lea st, which I'm wondering if it's bc I didn't listen- the readers are awesome. I listened to the first two out of order and then started listening to them in order and I liked that better. Each book in the dublin murder squad changes narrators to the previous narrator's partner, so I felt like reading then in order helped me to figure out everyone's history. I liked the likeness and the secret place best, and trespasser was good too!  The witch elm was good too, slow for me until about 4/5 in and then something happened and I was like WUTTTT and it went fast after that. I still remember exactly where I was in my commute for that lol. 
  • Current read: My Dear Hamilton

Last read: Verity

Are your someone who sets reading goals? I usually try to read at least 1 adult book a year with my eyes (children's librarian/former YA librarian so I typically read a lot of non-adult stuff). Bc of everything stopping last year I had a lot more time to read and got to 70 read. This year I'd like to finish the outlander series (finished up to the fiery cross) and to read more of the books I own. 
  • @laurad75 that’s so awesome! Good luck on your novel!

• @laurad75 good luck with your novel! 
  • @ruemcclanahan I read Percy Jackson last year. Love it. 

I’m in the middle of the last book of the Infernal Devices series. Well like not much left at all. 

Goal of 42 books this year. Only got 33 last year. Actually read leas because of covid. Surprisingly. 

I’m △⃒⃘lways in the middle of a Harry Potter novel (I read them to my kids, I’m on book 1 with my 4yo and 7 with my 10yo).

I have a book for book club I’m supposed to read over the next 2 weeks. Which I will start when I’m done with the one I’m currently on. Lol. 
  • @angelz429 I can't wait to read Harry Potter with my kids!

2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos

May 2020 FET; BFN
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• FFSC I have never read HP and have only seen the first movie (and maybe a little bit of the 2nd).

• I finally finished American Dirt last night. It was disturbing but so good. I’m going to read The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue next. Has anyone read it?

May 2020 FET; BFN
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• @laurad75 I did! It read more like YA to me so I was surprised it's adult. A few parts dragged for me but overall it was good! It will definitely be a change of pace from American dirt
  • I am officially 2 books done for 2021 🙌🏼
    Finished the last book in Infernal Devices
    read my book for book club in a day (I have YA book club. I love my book club ladies) - which was You Should See Me in a Crown
    Now I’m onto Obama’s book A Promised Land. 
  • I devoured “The Other Mrs.” in 2 days - it was so good! I’m starting something a little lighter tonight- “This Time Next Year” that my bestie recommended.

My goal this year is 36 books, which is the number I’ve read the past 2 years. 
    Married <3 August 2010
    DD1  <3 August 2011
    DD2 <3 August 2013
    DD3 <3 February 2017
  • I'm in such a reading rut. Still working on "My Dear Hamilton" but with everything in the news, this book is not an escape! I do like the writing so I'm sticking with it but gahhhh. 
  • I finished the Bridgerton Series and, on the recommendation from a friend, have started The Last Kingdom series. I’m not sure about it yet. I already finished the kindle preview and I went ahead and bought the first 4 books but I’m not sure if I’m going to read them or not. So far the first books seems pretty serious and I’m not sure if that’s a reality I want to escape to. Anyone read these books? 
    Pregnancy Ticker