January 2021 Moms

Product Spotlight: Rocking Chairs/Gliders

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. In this thread we're discussing Rocking Chairs/Gliders! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to navigate and respond to.

For S+TMs: 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite rocking chair/glider:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about it:
  • Is there a rocking chair/glider you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a rocking chair/glider you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on rocking chairs/gliders?:

For FTMs:

• Rocking chair/glider you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see

here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P3okZOAvhVpv0_H6D-T4bKxzmuB2ik7mDbbkQARJeNY/edit#gid=0

Re: Product Spotlight: Rocking Chairs/Gliders

• For S+TMs:  

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice: 
    • Favorite rocking chair/glider: I got it years ago, so I don’t have an exact link, but here’s a pic of one that is very similar
    • Link/picture:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): It was $400-500
    • What you like and don't like about it: Like-It is COMFY! which should be priority #1, you (or at least me) spend a lot of time in the chair feeding and rocking. It cleans super easy. It rocks AND reclines, seriously it’s the best rocker of my life. It is tall enough to support my head, wide enough to accommodate me+nursing pillow+baby, and it reclines pretty far back. The arms are soft and fluffy to lay baby’s head on while I’m getting things situated. Don’t like-it’s not very stylish or modern looking, and our home has a pretty modern feel, but I don’t even care, it is comfy, supportive, and will last me through 5 kids. 
    • Is there a rocking chair/glider you don't have but are considering? Why?: No. I am a researcher of all things, and couldn’t have found a better chair. 
    • Is there a rocking chair/glider you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: Yes, the more traditional glider that everyone gets, mine had an ottoman. It was a hand me down from my sister, and while I love her, I hated that thing. It looked good in the nursery, but was so impractical for what I needed-which was a place to feed and rock my baby. It was nice to sit in for a few minutes, but the back wasn’t tall enough, it didn’t recline, and was just generally stiff. 
    • Additional thoughts on rocking chairs/gliders?: If you have something comfy/practical you’ll use it all the time, love it, and be so grateful you have it. If you don’t have something that works for you, even if it looks good, you’ll seldom use it. I also nurse/bottle feed other places in my house (bed, sofa, etc) but the rocker is the easiest and most comfortable. How many times can I mention comfort in one post? 😂
    1st BFP 6/7/10 premature delivery and loss at 22w2d on 10/4/10
    2nd BFP 10/10/11, EDD 6/2/12,natural m/c 10/13/11 at 6w5d
    3rd BFP 12/25/11, DD born 8/31/12
    4th BFP 1/3/14, DD born 9/5/14
    5th BFP 11/15, DS born 7/24/16
    6th BFP 7/14/16, EDD 3/20/18

• We got this one a few weeks ago.  Concord Baby Charleston Fabric Swivel Glider Recliner  It's $300CAD.  Super comfortable so far, my dad commented that it has a bit of side to side movement, but I think that is because it had 360 degree rotation and he didn't realize it.

Its a relatively small footprint, which we needed because the nursery is going in the smallest bedroom in the house.

I like it a lot, and have been sitting in it for reading/knitting because its way more comfortable than the couch right now and it means DH can watch some of the TV shows I don't like.
  • Loading the player...
  • @savykay is there a brand associated with your rocker? It looks perfect to me, but it looks nothing like what I've found online so far.
  • briemobriemo member
    edited November 2020
    FTM here but got 2 recliners  
    1 for nursery 
    1 for play area 

this one is play area and I’m really happy with the look & quality for the price $299
    https://www.biglots.com/product/bolero-gray-swivel-glider-recliner/p810394206?zcp=pd_pla_go_G_Shopping_Home_PLA_est4440&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnb79BRDgARIsAOVbhRrmR_-eVVD7ewkkyWCiXDss5KsbijS4gMnahKzvdvQJ3f-mqChnEw4aAj3qEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

i got this one from Restoration Hardware for his nursery and tho it doesn’t recline the down makes it very comfy and have a crocheted foot rest my mom made 😩❤️

• Gonna check this out. This must be a great deal.
  • I’m really struggling on the glider/rocker purchase. The one we got for DS’s room I ended up not liking and I’m afraid of that happening again this go around. It’s also so tough because stores aren’t really open like they were then so you can’t test out 35 options to find what you like. We will end up ordering one, but I’m so anxious to pull the trigger in case I don’t like it. Ughhhh. 

I do think I want a glider/recliner this time. But I want to make sure the back is tall enough to rest our heads on those MOTN feeds. The struggle is real guys. 
  • @hanfam2021 I can’t find the exact chair I bought, but I got it from RC Willey (so sorry, I have no idea how to hyperlink on here) it’s more of a local furniture store, I think, but I know that they ship, and I saw lots of other good options on there when I was searching for the one I bought. 
    1st BFP 6/7/10 premature delivery and loss at 22w2d on 10/4/10
    2nd BFP 10/10/11, EDD 6/2/12,natural m/c 10/13/11 at 6w5d
    3rd BFP 12/25/11, DD born 8/31/12
    4th BFP 1/3/14, DD born 9/5/14
    5th BFP 11/15, DS born 7/24/16
    6th BFP 7/14/16, EDD 3/20/18

• I'm eyeballing the Paxton glider & recliner from Pottery Barn but I'm struggling with ordering and not being able to see the fabric or try the chair out. I ordered some swatches and just waiting for them to come in the mail. It seems like people like the reclining option so I was looking for one that had that feature. It also seems to have a smaller footprint which will help since we don't know what kind of space we're working with.