3rd Trimester
Options

Ultrasound shows baby has big belly, but I don't have GD

The ultrasound showed the baby has a big belly (measuring in the 97th %tile). I read online this is most common with women who have gestational diabetes, but I don't have that. I'm about 38 weeks. Anyone else face this and know what could cause it? My doctor showed a little concern, but not a lot. She said it's good they are aware of this and just need to be careful during labor, but that I should still be able to deliver vaginally.

Re: Ultrasound shows baby has big belly, but I don't have GD

• Options
    The ultrasound showed the baby has a big belly (measuring in the 97th %tile). I read online this is most common with women who have gestational diabetes, but I don't have that. I'm about 38 weeks. Anyone else face this and know what could cause it? My doctor showed a little concern, but not a lot. She said it's good they are aware of this and just need to be careful during labor, but that I should still be able to deliver vaginally.
    Well, yes, there are all sorts of things you can find if you google it, but if your doctor isn't concerned, I wouldn't be either.

Most commonly, my googling says it's associated with a baby being large. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Large babies can be genetic. And the vast majority of women can vaginally deliver their babies, even if the baby is on the bigger side. 

My daughter actually had a quite large chest (and she was on the big side in general - 8 lbs, 11 oz). I didn't have growth scans, but when they did the measurements post birth, her chest was larger than her head. I delivered her just fine, and out-of-hospital with no meds at that.
  • Options
    meggymemeggyme member
    It’s possible you could have developed GD after the testing, especially if you were borderline in anyway for the test. At 38 weeks there’s not much to be done to change it.

However, you could also just make large babies. As PP said you don’t know it’s a problem for a vaginal delivery yet and if your doctor isn’t too worried, try to take that as reassurance. They would have ordered more tests if there were a problem.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I tested way below the threshold for GD, so unlikely, but you're right I could have developed it later and it simply has gone unchecked. 
  • Options
    meggymemeggyme member
    edited May 2020
    I tested way below the threshold for GD, so unlikely, but you're right I could have developed it later and it simply has gone unchecked. 
    At this point in your pregnancy there’s not much you can do about the size of your baby. I believe you’ve posted a couple times about your concerns with having a large baby. Maybe look into some birthing mantras related to that.

”My body is perfectly made to birth my baby”

”Babies are squishy and can conform themselves in ways we can’t imagine to allow themselves to be birthed.”
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    🤣🤣🤣 @meggyme

"My super-squishy baby is awesome at being born."

That's going on an index card for sure!
  • Options
    Usually means they have wide shoulders and could get stuck during birth, that's what I was told by my doctor. And we are doing a c section instead of natural birth, we don't want to risk the baby loosing O2 during birth.