November 2020 Moms

Freezer Meals

hey ladies! I wanted a space for us to share tips, tricks, and recipes for freezer meals or other quick and easy meals for when babies get here!

I had planned to do this with my first but never got around to it and he came early so I'm trying to be a bit more proactive this go around knowing I'll be even busier with a newborn and toddler.

Re: Freezer Meals

• Our freezer is tiny, so I didn't make much last time, but I think I made a double batch of chili and also beef stew, which both froze really well. I also made a batch of lactation cookie dough and froze it so I could bake fresh cookies as needed.
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• Loading the player...
  • all the doh and soups!
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • My mom made these no bake energy balls recently and they are delicious. I will definitely be making them post partum, and quite possibly tomorrow. I've also made versions with dates, which will be good for the final weeks of pregnancy to help get things moving!
    https://www.onelovelylife.com/no-bake-cookie-energy-bites/

@Ecat504 What is doh?
    TW
    Started TTC August 2016

• babywiikbabywiik member
    edited August 2020
    Due date is coming closer and I know that if I don't get on it putting meals in the freezer it's not going to happen. I called my mom last night to ask her for some ideas and this is the list we came up with:
    -chili
    -pasty (sometimes called meatpie I think?)
    -turkey or beef gravy (with chunks of meat in it) easy to make potatoes to go with
    -browned hamburger separated into usable portions
    -taco hamburger
    -sloppy joe
    -zuppa tuscana
    -tomato rice soup
    -lasagna
    -homemade pizza
    As you can tell, we're big meat eaters but I'm sure there are substitutes that could be used for those who do not eat meat. Another idea is to stock up on canned soup if it's something you family likes.
  • We are vegetarian and I am have slowly started a list...

Tempeh (or bean chili)
    Sweet potato/lentil curry (Vegan Richa)
    Baked potatoes (freeze cooked, add toppings later)
    Brunswick stew

Like I said, very slowly 😂 I am writing down meals we all like that freeze easily as I make them!

Like @babywiik said a lot of her meals could be adapted to be veg friendly. If you need ideas I love to talk food ☺️
  • @babywiik Ooh, pasties are such a good idea! Here are two recipes that aren't traditional pasties, but I have made many times and are soooo good and they freeze and reheat great!
    Cheeseburger Handpie https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-cheeseburger-hand-pies-223932
    Jamaican Beef Patty https://whiskitrealgud.com/jamaican-beef-patties-with-perfect-flaky-crust-2/
    TW
    Started TTC August 2016

• @hedgepig omg please don't laugh at me, re-reading this i realize that was my pregnant brains way of saying "dough". Like cinnamon roll dough, cookie dough, etc....
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • @hedgepig do you have a recipe for the lactation cookies? I really liked this mix from Amazon which was super easy to bake but it’s not cheap. 
    Lactation Cookie Mix (USDA Organic Certified) with Oats, Brewer’s Yeast, and Flaxseed to Promote a Healthy Supply of Breast Milk in Nursing Mothers (Oatmeal Chocolate Chip) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B074PFY6NJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_TKCqFbDGMDKNZ
  • @doublestroller I'm pretty sure this was the recipe I made. If I remember correctly the brewer's yeast is pretty strong, so depending on how much of a yeast taste you've acquired you may want to reduce it and work up to the full amount. 
    https://www.howsweeteats.com/2015/02/lactation-cookies/
    TW
    Started TTC August 2016

• @hedgepig thanks, I’ll check it out!

We made a few slow cooker meals which are so good for your postpartum healing. Pork shoulder for pulled pork sandwiches or carnitas, and this is our fav pot roast. Make a big batch and freeze half or whatever you don’t eat that evening! 

This time I plan to make a meatloaf and attempt to include liver since liver is another one of those power foods postpartum. And anything you can easily eat with a fork one-handed while holding baby is clutch!
  • @doublestroller Shredded pork is such a good idea! Also, now I want pulled pork sandwiches...
    TW
    Started TTC August 2016

• DH was looking up a lot of recipes for taking beef stew meat and using it in other ways like pulled beef bbq which was more like sloppy joes which I was excited about. It is helpful because it is already cut up. Also I know I used my Instapot more when I was recovering since you could throw in items and let it cook and usually had left overs. I am excited because it will be cooler months so I can do chili and soups like that.