3rd Trimester
Options

Advice on postpartum depression?

Did you get it and how did you deal? I’ve dealt with anxiety all my life and bouts of depression (depression usually just a day or two a week). Any good advice? Thanks! 

Re: Advice on postpartum depression?

• Options
    gailglam said:
    Did you get it and how did you deal? I’ve dealt with anxiety all my life and bouts of depression (depression usually just a day or two a week). Any good advice? Thanks! 
    Talk to your doctor now, about your concerns.  
  • Options
    Yes, you should be able to talk to your doctor about making a plan now so that if you do experience it figuring out what to do will be that much easier. Find a therapist, have your partner know the signs.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Had it with my first, and didn't get much support from my OB. Second time around I made a plan with my psychiatrist to up my meds after delivery and it helped SO MUCH. So, moral of the story - it might be best to seek help and advice from a psychiatrist or therapist now. 

*Formerly LuND*
    Me: 35 | DH: 37
    TTC: 7/2016
    Low AMH, mild MFI
    BFP 7/29/17
    EDD: 4/5/18
    <3  DS born 4/4/18  <3
    BFP #2 7/2/19
    EDD 3/13/20

• Options
    I suffered from it. I tried seeking help from my OB but she told me that because I wasn’t thinking of harming my baby then I didn’t have it and would be fine. That was a huge mistake and I suffered (mostly) in silence for over a year. I’d find a good therapist ASAP.
  • Options
    I’m hoping you’ve mentioned this to your provider already! It can be a scary conversation to initiate but such an important one! I had PPA with my first and never talked about it for fear that I would be deemed crazy or unfit. Mentioned it in the third trimester with my second and was put on medication that changed my life. Found a dose that worked post partum and continued on that through my third pregnancy, with one dose adjustment as needed. I have a great rapport with my providers- I trust them now and they trust me. I’ve been assured that being medicated is not necessarily a life long commitment and that when I feel ready after I deliver my third, I can start trialing down on my dose. There’s no reason for You to try and “power through it” or chalk it up to new mom hormones or anything like that. If you’re not feeling yourself during pregnancy, it’s not going to get better post partum. Please talk about it now!