Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Milk supply tips

Hi all! I have went back to work and would love some tips and tricks to increase my milk production. I am pumping 2-3 times at work, but would like to build my reserve again! I am getting a bit worried there is no extra in the freezer for baby anymore. :( What works for you? Cookies? Power pumping? A mantra? Help!!

Re: Milk supply tips

• meggymemeggyme member
    edited December 2019
    Check out the legendairy instagram. They often hawk their supplements, but there is also a lot of good information there. If you can, talk to a lactation consultant. La Leche Leagues are also a great source of information and support. The general rule is more milk removals will increase your supply. Maybe add a night time pump or pump after nursing at home.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • Is fenugreek effective? And these lactation cookies are these effective?
  • Is fenugreek effective? And these lactation cookies are these effective?
    It depends who you ask. Nothing is 100% effective for every woman. These are things you can try, and they may or may not work for you. My water intake was the only thing that noticeably affected my supply through about six months. 
  • When I had my daughter I struggled with my milk supply and I eventually had to stop giving her breast milk. When my son was born I was determined to keep him on breast milk. I pump about every 3 hours to keep my milk supply up. Also the one thing that really helped me this time was drinking body armor. My son drinks 3 to 4oz at a time so whatever extra I have after I pump I freeze that way I have a milk for when I really need it. Also I know it’s hard with working but I also pump 2 times at night when he sleeps longer periods.
  • Congratulations on returning to work and continuing to provide breast milk for your baby! It's natural to be concerned about maintaining and increasing your milk supply while pumping at work. Here are some tips and tricks that may help:

1. Frequent Pumping Sessions: You're off to a good start by pumping 2-3 times at work. Aim to pump every 2-3 hours during your workday, if possible. Consistency is key in maintaining supply.

2. Proper Pumping Technique: Ensure that you're using the right-sized flanges for your breast, and make sure your pump is set to a comfortable and effective suction level. Consult with a lactation consultant if you're unsure about your technique.

3. Hydration and Nutrition: Stay well-hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day. A balanced diet with enough calories is also important for milk production. Some mothers find that certain foods, like oatmeal or lactation cookies, can boost their supply.

4. Relaxation: Stress can negatively impact milk supply. Find ways to relax during your pumping sessions, like deep breathing, meditation, or listening to soothing music. A positive mantra or affirmations can also help reduce stress.

5. Power Pumping: Power pumping involves mimicking cluster feeding, which can help increase milk supply. It usually involves pumping for shorter, more frequent sessions with breaks in between. You might try pumping for 20 minutes, resting for 10, and then pumping for 10 more minutes.

6. Skin-to-Skin Contact: Spend time skin-to-skin with your baby when you're not at work. This can help stimulate milk production.

7. Massage and Compression: While pumping, you can use breast massage and compression techniques to encourage milk flow and empty your breasts more effectively.

8. Galactagogues: Some herbs and supplements like fenugreek, blessed thistle, and lactation teas are known as galactagogues and may help boost milk supply. Consult with a healthcare professional before using any supplements.

9. Empty the Breasts: Ensure that you're fully emptying your breasts during each pumping session. Double-check your pump settings and flange fit to make sure you're extracting as much milk as possible.

10. Stay Committed: Building up a freezer reserve can take time. Be patient and continue your efforts consistently. Your body will adjust to the new routine.

11. Consult a Lactation Consultant: If you're still having difficulty, don't hesitate to reach out to a lactation consultant for personalized guidance and support.

Remember that every mother's body is different, and what works for one person may not work the same way for another. The key is to find a routine and strategies that work best for you and your baby. It's also important to consult with a healthcare professional or lactation consultant for personalized advice tailored to your specific situation. Good luck, and keep up the great work!