Baby Names

Re: Baby Names

• Options
    @profmcgonagall @morethanamama

THANKS! Oly is like Oliver without the "ver"
  • Options
    KaileyBriKaileyBri member
    edited April 2020
    @lilbubb I've always loved the name Lawson!!

We have 3 boys and I'm pretty sure this will be boy #4. My favorite boy name that we will never be able to use is Grayson. Our last name is White, so I don't think "Gray White" would fly.... lol. But gosh I just love that name!! We've had the same girl names saved for every pregnancy, but if this one actually IS a girl, we'll probably end up ditching the list anyway!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @KaileyBri I have a friend who’s last name ruined a ton of her favorite names. She’s always like flower names then she got married and her last name is Flower. So that nixxed every single girl flower name she liked.... Violet Flower, Daisy Flower, Rose Flower.... 🤣 I think they finally went rose for a middle name on their last kid. 
  • Options
    @KaileyBri my friend's last name is White and he son's name is Greyson! Honestly I've never made the association with colors and I think it's fine!!
  • Options
    @westslopemama I was going through this board now that we know what we’re having, and I saw your post from awhile back. Just wanted to say that my name is Sonja, spelled with a J. I love it, but be ready for people to be surprisingly confused by it. It’s given me some great stories though. Even though it gets butchered, I wouldn’t change the spelling, or my name. I see other’s with the same name from time to time, but very very few with that spelling. So you have my vote of the name.
  • Options
    @animalandplantrescuer I was also worried about people being confused and having a hard time with Sonja, but I love it. My husband and I both prefer it spelled with a J, as well. Thanks for reaching out and letting me know that you enjoy having that name despite people having challenges with it. 
  • Options
    @westslopemama Mainly I don’t correct people that it won’t matter, like at the doctors office. Also I don’t spell it when I give my name for an order. And for some reason when I do tell people it’s with a J, I sometimes get Sonija. Oh and I’ve been asked if I’m sure I spelled it correctly more than once. So as long as you’re okay with all of that, then you’re good. 

My grandpa was Swedish, so it’s made me feel special to have that spelling. 
  • Options
    Resurfacing the baby names... we’re considering a name for boy 2 that, when combined with big brother’s name, is the name of a well-known fictional character. These aren’t the real names but picture big brother Harry, little brother Potter. I don’t think it’s a big deal since they’ll be almost 2 years apart, but my husband is *mildly* concerned. It’s not a big deal, right?? Has anyone accidentally coordinated their kids’ names and run into issues?
  • Options
    @baseballismyfavoriteseason, to me it would depend on how popular it is. If it was something as popular as Harry Potter, I probably wouldn’t do it 
    Me: 27 DH: 27
    Married 6/15/13
    BFP #1 5/8/16, EDD 12/31/16- DD born 9/10/16 at 24 weeks 
    ~In our hearts forever~
    BFP #2 10/14/17, EDD 7/1/18

• Options
    tdevlindryetdevlindrye member
    edited June 2020
    @baseballismyfavoriteseason I feel the same as @profmcgonagall. It really depends on the names and popularity. If it WERE Harry and Potter, I wouldn’t side-eye someone that did it, but I couldn’t go through with it for my own kids. 

Just caught up on this thread and we have some really really good names here!!

We are kind of all over the place with names...

Our last name is Devlin-Drye (surprise! God I need to take personal information security more seriously, but I just...don’t. 🤷🏼‍♀️). 

Devlin is my father-in-law and Drye is my mother-in-law. DH was born with the hyphenated name and I took his name fully when we got married. 

So...names starting with D are OUT for us. 

DS1 is Maxwell Stephen. Stephen was my dad’s name and he passed away in 2014 so it was really important to honor him. 

My mom is Judy and we planned to honor her with baby 2, since she’s the only one without being directly honored in our kid’s middle/last names. 

Baby is a boy so we’ve decided to use the male version of Judy for the middle name: Jude. 

So we’re up to: _______ Jude Devlin-Drye

Here are the things I love about Max’s name and we are looking for the same qualities:

1. Is a real name and not trendy. 
    2. Not over popular. 
    3. 2-3 syllables and can be shortened into a nickname. 
    4. Has zero D’s in it. 
    5. Isn’t boring like Michael or John.
    6. We’d love something with British ties since we both have Irish and Scottish heritage

Names we’ve considered:

Andrew Jude
    Scott Jude (maybe Scotland Jude, which I love love love, but totally violates #1 above even though we’d call him Scott or Scotty)
    Arlo Jude
    Owen Jude
    Franklin Jude
    Theodore Jude
    Collin Jude
  • Options
    @tdevlindrye MH and I went through quite a few Irish/Scottish/Gaelic names, and here are some of the boy names that were on our list which we wound up not needing since we're having a girl:

Cillian
    Patrick
    Amory
    Griffin
    Aven
    Beckett
    Murphy
    Connor

Of the ones on your list, I most prefer Scott/Scotty, Owen, and Collin.
    Me: 37 / DH: 41
    Due with baby #2: Feb 2022

• Options
    @babyodo That list is wonderful! We considered Patrick, but DH has 2 cousins named Patrick and I have one, haha. 
  • Options
    Now that we know it's a boy, we had to really think about it (we had our girl name set).

Middle will be Joseph (family tradition for DH). Our top two right now our Felix and Clyde but leaning heavily towards Clyde. Honestly I'm a little over Felix. Any time we mention these choices to people the overwhelming response is, "I love Felix!" It doesn't change my opinion though.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • Options
    @tdevlindrye I know of two babies named Scotland in the past year or so, not that it really makes it a name like you pointed out but it's being used as one! 
  • Options
    @kalesix3 Oh that’s good news actually! Were they boys or girls?
  • Options
    @tdevlindrye one of each actually! The girl is Scottie and the boy is Scott 🙂
  • Options
    I like Arlo. It was actually the only boy name on our list. For DS we could only agree on Milo and Oliver, and when he was born we KNEW he was a Milo. So thinking of another boy name was hard! It's a girl for us this time and we already have the girl name we liked for DS potentially but we also agreed on a second option and we'll pick when we see her! 
    Maia Eleonor (1st)
    Claire Eleonor (2nd)

• Options
    @morethanamama DH loves Arlo, particularly because he’s a musician and loves Arlo Guthrie, haha!
    Milo was on our list too!
    How do you pronounce Maia?
  • Options
    We have Samson set as the probable middle name but it's what we've been calling him and probably will continue to do so. I'd be happy with it as his first name but MH wants it as a middle name even if we call him that 🤷🏻‍♀️
    We were considering Ellis as a first name but it's too close to my 2 year old son's name. When I asked him to say it he just said his name instead lol. 

Other names that were on or are on our list were Malcolm, Owen, Devon, Elliot, Luca, Milo, Miles, Frey, Everett, Jacob, Sebastian and Arlo. I honestly think it will end up being Frey. It's a family name on my side. I'd rather do Samson Frey but I'm not going to push it. 
    Before MH wanted Samson (and I fell in love with it),I wanted Malcolm Frey, but I don't think Malcolm goes with Samson well.

• Options
    Frey is so cool, @wineren!
    @tdevlindrye it's the same as Maya. But I like the spelling with an I since I'm Italian and that's how we would spell it there.
  • Options
    @tdevlindrye I am so glad I am not the only one with a list of requirements! Seems like my friends are like, “eh, we liked it, so we picked it!” For me:
    1) Short: 1-2 syllables (our last name is 3 syllables/9 letters)
    2) Does not start with J (hubs and bubs both start with J and I just don’t need more of that lol)
    3) Spelled “normally” - this is hard to define but we would do Jackson over Jaxon because my name is spelled unusually and it’s been a pain my whole life!
    4) Not currently on the top 10 baby name list
    5) Either has a solid meaning or is meaningful to us personally
    6) Not the same as a friend’s kid of similar age that we’ll interact with frequently. This will be the toughest—we have 1 of 5 boys due within three weeks of each other and none of us will tell names before they’re born. 😂

So far my husband’s first choice is Joshua which violates my top two requirements. 🤪 But we also like Ryan, Austin, Micah, Luke, Daniel, Cody... I don’t know what we’ll end up on. I’m still of the mindset that I will be happy if we have something picked out before I go into labor. 😂 We did talk about Theodore because “baby Theo” is sooo adorable but for us it’s just too long. 
  • Options
    @baseballismyfavoriteseason I love Austin! It’s on our longer list. Not telling each other your names is so so so smart! That way there’s no worry about name stealing or wondering if you influenced each other. 
  • Options
    Well we have officially had a name change. DH decided that Emmett was no longer the one and after a week long discussion, we have landed on Jacob. It’s a bit more popular than I would like but I do really like it and am overall happy about the change. 
    Married 6/15/13
    ~In our hearts forever~

• Options
    jgrodojgrodo member
    @profmcgonagall good choice! We did that for ds and use the nickname Coby so it's less common. 
  • Options
    @profmcgonagall Jacob has always been one of my top boy names!
  • Options
    Choosing a name is doing my head in. Given that we already have 3 with great names, choosing another one feels impossible. 

Names of current kids are:
    Ronin David
    Elsie Amelia
    Ryley Jayanthi

We've done all the family names we can, so now we have to choose something else. I love Eden but DH seems to think it’s a stripper name. He likes Abby. The only Abby I know is a drug addict. 

So far we’re a maybe on Sydney. I want Paige for a middle name. If it were up to me, I’d drug DH and sign the birth certificate myself (kidding, maybe). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @annarach I like Sydney!

Also, I love that your son is Ronin - that’s the name we decided on for baby boy :) but it’s spelled Ronan. I’ve never seen it spelled with an “in”!
  • Options
    @mamahosch

Thank you! I’m hoping Sydney sticks. DH seems to like it and hasn’t flinched when I’ve used it so maybe 🤷🏼‍♀️

Ronin is the Japanese spelling. I’ve seen Ronan quite a bit since he was born. I’d never heard the name before my husband suggested it and I fell in love immediately. When I was pregnant with him, I liked many of the traditional names like Liam and Matthew. Ronin fits my kiddo well though ❤️

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @annarach I had only ever seen Ronan in a book I had read - well, a couple, since he’s a minor character in Harry Potter 😂 . But it was from the Dream Thieves series. Ronan can make things from his dreams come to life - such a cool thing. And it’s such a masculine name and I love that DH loves it too!
  • Options
    I’m still having so much trouble deciding on names! With DS we knew his name from before we were even trying to get pregnant and lucky for us he was a boy! I just haven’t found something that I 100% love like his name or if I do like it a lot DH isn’t too into it! Even though I don’t have a real preference, I’m hoping this baby is a girl because I’m happier with the names we’ve thought of for girls vs boys! 
  • Options
    @westslopemama How you were with your first is how we are currently. I would suggest names for years. He fell in love with the girl name, but we couldn’t decide on a boy. I even keep suggesting other girl names just to see, and nothing compares for him. Luckily for us we’re having a girl. I wish I could announce it because I love it so much, but I’m still not comfortable doing it publicly on here. Someday I will. 
  • Options
    @animalandplantrescuer yeah it was so nice to just KNOW it was the perfect name and we both agreed! I really wish I wasn’t so picky! I have too many rules when it comes to choosing a name and nothing seems to meet the requirements or if it does then I don’t like it 🤣

So if anyone has any suggestions on names that meet the following criteria please let me know... 
    - 1-2 syllables 
    - no obvious nicknames or ways to shorten to a nickname 
    - not too popular 
    - easy to pronounce and spell 
    - can’t start with M or N (due to my last name and DS’ name) 
    - can’t end in an L (due to DS’ name) 
    - no religious meaning 

• Options
    edited July 2020
    @westslopemama, these are the ones off the top of my head. I don’t know how popular they are though. 
    - Wyatt
    - Bennett
    -Calvin
    - Weston
    -Jesse
    -Dean 
    -August
    -Avery
    - Graham
    - Dawson
    - Ellis
    - Wade
    Married 6/15/13
    ~In our hearts forever~

• Options
    @westslopemama Be aware with your no nicknames rule... people can make a nickname out of just about anything. Keeping it to one syllable will help. Even just looking at @profmcgonagall’s list you’ve got Wy, Ben or Benny, Cal, Wes or West, Jess, Auggie, Ave... it can be done (Dean is a good one for that!) but I would hate for you to find a name you love and lose your mind when someone shortens it. 
  • Options
    @westslopemama The name I really liked for a boy was Corbin. Although from the few people I told it wasn’t always received that highly. It means crow, and I happen to admire crows after watching a TEDTalk on how smart they are. 

I also went the can’t be too popular. I thought about going the can’t be butchered route because my name is easy, but not the American spelling. We ultimately decided on a name that will probably get butchered, but not hard to pronounce. So far 99% of people love it when they hear it. The 1% is my friend who is very very opinionated, and she just said, “that’s unusual.” She also went the popular name route with her kids. 

My parents went the can’t be shortened route or my name would have been Elizabeth. Although I’ve still had a handful of people shorten my name, it didn’t become prominent. My biggest nickname became the mispronunciation of my name. 
  • Options
    @ProfessorMcGonagall thanks for all the suggestions! 

@baseballismyfavoriteseason yeah it is really hard to find a name that doesn’t have a nickname! I guess it’s more about wanting to name the baby what we will call them which is why I dislike names that can very easily be shortened such as Joshua or Alexander. 
  • Options
    @westslopemama, DS has a name that is very easily shortened to a nickname but I call him by his full name. I’ve corrected family on his name before when they try to shorten it. 2 years later, it almost never happens anymore. 
    You could always try that if you find a name you love that usually comes with a nickname. It depends on how stubborn your family is lol. 
    Married 6/15/13
    ~In our hearts forever~

• Options
    @westslopemama I was pretty insistent on the same thing. We named big bro after my husband’s grandfather—John Jr, known his whole life as Jack. Husband wanted to do the same for our son (just without the Jr part). Since I was already caving on my “not too popular rule” I insisted we just name him Jack—why name him one thing if we’re going to call him something else?? ...And he gets called Jack-Jack (I should have seen this one coming since incredibles 2 came out the same year), Jackie, even just “J”. I just decided to roll with it. But I still feel the same way with baby brother... we’re not going to name him Maxwell and call him Max, we’re just going to name him Max (we’re not going to name him Max, that’s just an example).