February 2021 Moms
Options

First OB visits?

When are you ladies having your first OB visits (how far along)? My practice doesn’t see anyone until 8 weeks based on LMP. When I asked if I needed a test or anything to confirm that I am, in fact, pregnant (positive HPT and symptoms so I am fairly sure I am), they said they “don’t confirm pregnancy” and that I should call my primary care physician if I want to confirm. It also didn’t sound like there would be an ultrasound or anything at the first visit. Just curious to see how other practices handle it. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Re: First OB visits?

• Options
    I’ll be going at 8 weeks and I’ll have an ultrasound. With my first pregnancy I went at 11 weeks and only did the Doppler. With my second (loss) and third I went earlier only due to spotting. 

If you are getting positive pregnancy tests you are pregnant! I get it though, it’s hard to believe it’s real til you see or hear it. 
  • Options
    KLS123KLS123 member
    With my first I went at 9 weeks and they did do an ultrasound (heads up that first ultrasound is a vaginal one, not over the belly like they do in the movies, I was not prepared for that...)
    This time around my OB ordered two blood draws to track the progression of HCG due to a prior MC and I did that at an offsite lab. The OB will just call me with the results so I still won't actually see her in person until the 8-10 week appointment. 

FYI, you can get a blood draw pregnancy confirmation just about anywhere (primary care, urgent care, lab center, etc.) but it may or may not be covered under insurance if you OB or PCP doesn't order it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I’ll also be going in at 8 weeks (well, 7+5) for the normal first appointment, like I did with DS. They’ll do regular weight+height+bp, history, and vaginal ultrasound to date the pregnancy. I think they usually only do blood draws for hcg numbers if there’s something concerning (TW: I had a mc before DS, and they did draw blood for that to make sure hcg was dropping appropriately). I don’t think it’s standard care to do that for normal low-risk pregnancies, at least in the US.
  • Options
    My OB's standard is 7 weeks. I had to call and ask to be seen sooner because a previous miscarriage had me nervous. I had my hcg checked at 4+3 and a viability ultrasound at 6+4. The ultrasound was very quick. I'll have my first "real" appt at 10+4 and they told me to expect the appointment to run for about 2 hours. 
    Me: 31 Husby: 36
    Married May 2014
    TTC # 2  Since December 2021
    Baby girl W born 2/2021
    Our journey so far...
    (tw loss & infertility)
    Diagnosis: Poor Egg Quality 
    Working with an RE since March 2016
    2 failed TI cycles
    3 failed IUI cycles

IVF Feb - April 2017
    23 eggs collected, 20 mature, 14 fertilized with ICSI, 4 day 3 blasts, 3 day 5 blasts, 1 PGS normal
    Transferred 1 PGS normal embryo 4.12.17
    BFP 4.21.17
    MMC due to small gestational sac 6.8.17

Our adoption journey:
    12.25.18 Agency picked and apps submitted!
    5.1.19 Adoption on hold so we can buy a house! 
    1.1.20 Homestudy process started
    3.14.20 First social worker visit
    5.25.20 Homestudy Approved & Submitted to Agency

6.1.20 Surprise! Positive pregnancy test!
    Healthy baby girl born 2/10/2021

• Options
    @tamalahoops 2 hours?! That’s so long. My longest appointment with DS was the anatomy scan which lasted a little over an hour, and that’s just because he wasn’t cooperating so I had to eat a bit to get him moving. LOL
  • Options
    @hannahbananas11 right?! I was very surprised.
    Me: 31 Husby: 36
    Married May 2014
    TTC # 2  Since December 2021
    Baby girl W born 2/2021
    Our journey so far...
    (tw loss & infertility)
    Diagnosis: Poor Egg Quality 
    Working with an RE since March 2016
    2 failed TI cycles
    3 failed IUI cycles

IVF Feb - April 2017
    23 eggs collected, 20 mature, 14 fertilized with ICSI, 4 day 3 blasts, 3 day 5 blasts, 1 PGS normal
    Transferred 1 PGS normal embryo 4.12.17
    BFP 4.21.17
    MMC due to small gestational sac 6.8.17

Our adoption journey:
    12.25.18 Agency picked and apps submitted!
    5.1.19 Adoption on hold so we can buy a house! 
    1.1.20 Homestudy process started
    3.14.20 First social worker visit
    5.25.20 Homestudy Approved & Submitted to Agency

6.1.20 Surprise! Positive pregnancy test!
    Healthy baby girl born 2/10/2021

• Options
    @tamalahoops I wonder if they’re consolidating some things into one appointment instead of multiple appointments due to covid-19. I’m curious to see what prenatal care looks like this time around with a pandemic.
  • Options
    My doctor sees you as soon as you get a positive test. They confirm it with their own pee test. I’m not sure if they normally do Hcg tests but they are for me bc of a previous loss. My OB doesn’t do ultrasounds in her office but she sends you for one at 8 weeks and you have another appt with her.  then another ultrasound again at 12 weeks for a nuchal and another appt with her. To be honest I have been in my OBs office at least once a week for bloodwork or an appt. but I have issues lol. She likes to do an u/s around 8 weeks just to make sure everything is going as it should and the pregnancy looks normal, plus if they have to adjust your due date it’s most accurate then. Or something. It surprises me when people say their practice won’t see them before 10-12 weeks. My doctor does a lot of what they call “counseling” at the first appt. Making sure you know you can’t take Advil, watch your fish intake, no cold cuts, etc. And they answer any questions. Although I could see cutting it out due to COVID-19
  • Options
    I'm in the UK for this pregnancy, so I need to wait until 12 weeks for the first appointment. It's a 2 hour appointment which includes ultrasound. My first appointment is not until August. 
  • Options
    My new OB doesn’t see patients until 8-9 weeks. My first appointment I believe is scheduled for 9+3. My old OB no longer does prenatal care :(
    Me: 34 | DH: 46
    SD: 21 & SS: 17
    BFP #2 6/3/2020

*Trigger Warning*
    TTC 6/13/2015 | BFP #1 5/14/2017 | MMC 7/28/2017 (Trisomy 18) | IL + D&C 8/4/2017

• Options
    I’m seeing a new doctor because my gyno doesn’t do OB... they don’t wanna see me until I’m 8 weeks!
  • Options
    Yeah I think my first was at 6-7 weeks and now they are waiting until 8.  I'll be 8+4 at mine.  June 29
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    manditchka24manditchka24 member
    edited June 2020
    > @birdiejo said:
    > I’ll be going at 8 weeks and I’ll have an ultrasound. With my first pregnancy I went at 11 weeks and only did the Doppler. With my second (loss) and third I went earlier only due to spotting. 
    > If you are getting positive pregnancy tests you are pregnant! I get it though, it’s hard to believe it’s real til you see or hear it. 

Lol, I mean, I know I am pregnant, I guess I just feel like someone besides me should be diagnosing it! Thank you for confirming!

Thank you all for the reassurance. I guess it sounds pretty normal to wait until 8 weeks. Luckily I was able to ask all of my medication and pregnancy safety questions when I had my IUD removed.

Due to covid I will have a 90 minute video visit with a nurse on a Friday and then see the OB in person the following Monday.
  • Options
    My first appointment isn’t until I will be 9+6 but I did have an ultrasound yesterday at 6+6 due to previous loss in the fall. It was so great to see that heart rate flickering away at 133.
  • Options
    My first appt is on the 30th and I'll be 8 weeks. If it's like my last pg, they'll do weight, bp, I'll have the Rhogam shot bc I'm rh negative and they'll do a vaginal dating ultrasound. 
    Me: 34 DH: 30
    BFP #6: 8/21/21 FX for a sticky baby!

BFP #5: 6/15/21 CP 6/21/21
    BFP #4: 2/14/21 CP 2/17/20
    BFP #3: 6/4/20 MC Blighted Ovum D&C 7/9/20
    BFP #2: 6/12/14 DD Born via CS: 2/12/15 
    BFP #1: 5/8/11 DD Born via CS: 1/18/12                                                      

• Options
    Going on 7/21 atleast 8 weeks at that point & they mentioned I'll be having an ultrasound. Also bc of COVID I have to plan to go in alone with no visitors at all until the 20 week appointment where 1 guest can accompany. I am really bad w needles so hoping for a sweet staff who can calm and console my pregnant self if bloodwork will be involved!