January 2021 Moms
Options

Baby names!

Re: Baby names!

• Options
    Oooooohhhh I love this thread. :)
  • Options
    Anyone use the BabyName app? It’s basically Tinder for baby names, you and your partner swipe left/right on the names and the app generates a list of names that you both liked.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @marynog Yes! DH actually loves it

• Options
    We have had our girl name picked out since the last little one. Annabelle Rose. If it's a boy we are toggling names. We have a few picked out but not sure on which one to use. 
  • Options
    aels12aels12 member
    We can’t ever think about names until we know boy or girl. I get too overwhelmed with all the options! 
  • Options
    @MaryNog We used that app with my second and DH and I didn’t get ONE.SINGLE.MATCH 😂 I’m definitely going to try it again though 
  • Options
    My oldest is Lucy Brielle and my (soon to be) middle is Ezra James. We will use the girl name we chose for Ezra for a girl, Isla Grace. No clue for a boy. We honestly went back and forth forever before agreeing on Ezra. We both like Rhys but I’m not totally sold on it. 
  • Options
    @marynog yes I love it! We are tapped out of girl names so if this one is a girl I have no idea what we will do 😂
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    Right now DH is sold on Cedric Edward, I really like Noel Francis.
    For a girl, it will be Claire-Ellen - we haven't decided if she would get a middle name with the hyphenated first. If so it will be Dahlia. 
    He really likes Llewellyn for a boy - but I have a little bit of twang left from growing up in Texas. He has a faint British accent (his mother is from the UK, he's first gen american) so it sounds right when he says it. It sounds like I am saying "Lou Ann" and we definitely had a neighbor named Lou Ann, and that's all I hear. So I said absolutely not. He's pouting a little. 

• Options
    @marynog I tried the app with our last, but it didn’t work because I was the only one who used it. Our little guy didn’t have a name until a day or so after he was born because we couldn’t agree / decide. 

On a separate note, there are some DOOZIES in that app...  😳
  • Options
    For a girl, I love Samantha June ❤️ I love it so, so much. DH says he’s not sold but the fact that he didn’t outright say no means he can definitely be convinced. 

I’m not sure about a boy. We like Jack. But DH thinks he should have a formal first name and his nickname would be Jack, but I just like Jack. We also like Zachary, but would call him Zach. We actually like it a lot but I’m not sure we can come to terms with how 90s it sounds 🤣🤣 

My first two have J middle names so we’re trying to stick with that. 
  • Options
    I have a lot of work pre requisites for names, it’s honestly a miracle we found one for our oldest. The name has to sound good in English and my native language (Portuguese), has to be very easy to spell (as someone who has to spell their name every single time, I’m not putting my kids through that), and the initials have to be easy to write. This last one is way weird but really matters to me, I want one letter to flow easily into the other.
    My name starts with an M and my H’s and oldest’s names both start with A. I’d love this one to have a name starting with A or M, so we can be the A3M or A2M2 family.
  • Options
    We probably won't start talking names until we find out the sex but I've still been thinking of some ideas for when that comes.  We have a boy name (Henry) we didn't use last time that I'd like to use but the girl name we picked I no longer like (Adeline).  We mostly prefer traditional names. 

@lemomma my 3.5 year old is Jack.  People asked at first if it was short for John and we'd tell them it's just Jack.  I didn't want a name that he'd always go by the nickname since I'm Katherine but always go by Katie and find it annoying.  Also my nephew is Zach!  My brother liked it because of Saved by the Bell  :D
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @feelingjovani Henry is our middle name pick if we have a boy. :)

@lemomma I love Jack - I have a nephew with that name!

@marynog that sounds like it would be challenging to find a name that fits both languages!  I love that, though. 
  • Options
    We're not talking about it yet, but when we were TTC my SO vetoed a couple of my favorite girls names (Alma and Nina) so I have a feeling it could be an adventure/struggle! I know we would do a family name for middle name -- probably Patrick for my dad or Warren for SO's close friend, or Beverly for his late mom. 
  • Options
    @the_road_to_oz I love all your name choices! 
    @feelingjovani where did they get John from Jack? I’ve never heard that before haha also I love Jack just on it’s on! 

I really like Will/William for a boy. I so want to do Lee or Leigh for a middle name since it is a family name on both sides but DH doesn’t like it very much. 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    edited June 2020
    DH is very traditional with names. In fact, his preference is to pick a name from the 1800s. I like some of these (our top girl name is Muriel and top boy name is Cyrus). But I also like non-traditional names like for a boy: Len and Noel
    the_road_to_oz: good choice on Noel!
    For a girl: Lani, Voraea, and Vosh. All vetoed. Also vetoed is anything too popular, like some of our faves: Eliza, Charlotte, and Lucy
    carleym93: good choice on Lucy.

AshleyGemini24 Annabelle Rose is delightful! 
    lemomma I really like Zack. We might have used it if one of our best friends wasn't named Zack. Too weird now. 
  • Options
    Our girl name is Catalina Luna. It took us approximately 3629272528 weeks to decide on our son’s name. I seriously have no idea what we are going to do if this baby is another boy 
  • Options
    @marikkita12 Luna is on our list <3 
  • Options
    Also. All 5( yes 5) of our children are named after someone in the family either his side or my side. So we are going to keep that going with LO, whether boy or girl. 
  • Options
    We are decided on first names, DH has a favorite girl’s name that I didn’t love and I have a favorite boy’s name that he didn’t love so the compromise is that we each get our favorite name and fate will decide who actually gets to use their name.

Not settled on middle names yet but if its a girl the name will be Claudia (pronounced like cloudy, not cloddy) and if it is a boy the name will be Frederick.
  • Options
    @stillcozy I have no idea!  I don't know how Jack is really a nickname when John is the same length.  I usually think of a nickname as a shortened name like Mike for Michael.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We do family names, but his family is all Ashkenazi so trying to turn some of those boy names into something a bit more mainstream is hard. He has a great uncle Chaim (pronounced hay-em) we want to honor so we are trying to come up with Ch or H boy names but it's hard. So far all we have is Charles.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @missmcgonnagal what about Christopher or Christian?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Husband's brother is Christopher and a Jewish "Christian" would probably be a little odd. :P
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    hp242hp242 member
    @missmcgonnagal not the same issue, but I'm looking for a first name that can be very close in Hebrew.  DH isn't Jewish so I'd be alone coming up with Hebrew names if we can't find one that works in both languages.

For a girl we were talking about Lilah Madeline.  Madeline for my grandmother who was Molly.  No ideas for boy names yet.

Would you consider keeping the sound in a middle name?  Could even keep Chaim or go with something like Howard, keeps the right sound.  I had a number of friends growing up middle named Chaim.

• Options
    @missmcgonnagal I hadn't even thought of Christian in that way but totally true.  I really like the name Charles, it's a good classic name. The only other Ch name I can think of is Chad.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My SO has always felt that Beverly (his late mom's name) would have to be part of a girl's name if he had a daughter and I always assumed it would be a middle name, but when I got pregnant he said he really wanted it for a first name. At first I was like, ehh it's not something I've ever considered and I have a whole list. But I actually started thinking about it this week after our NIPT result and it's starting to grow on me a lot. I like that it's not commonly given now (like...at all, or for the past 50 years) but still familiar and it's kind of sweet and wholesome sounding. I'm a little worried about the nickname Bev organically happening b/c it sounds kind of harsh to me AND it was the name of my high school math tutor - I don't need to think about how bad I am at math whenever I say my kid's name! Maybe we could call her Bevie or something or just try to stick to her full name. I think a middle name might be Hope or Katherine, both family names on my side.

I also showed SO my long list last night and the only ones he was really on board with were Cora, Linnea, and Edie so we have kind of a grab bag. 
  • Options
    aels12aels12 member
    Now that we know it’s a girl we’ve started talking about names. We like Reagan but are having trouble with middle names. Help please! 
  • Options
    @aels12 Yay, congrats on a girl! Reagan is a great name! Do you think a fairly short middle name or does it not matter?

Some of these are just from my early list of names but maybe they will inspire something...Reagan Jane (I think that sounds kind of cool), Reagan Hope (we're actually considering this middle name), Reagan Eliza, Reagan Adelaide, Reagan Camilla, Reagan Rose, Reagan Charlotte...?
  • Options
    aels12aels12 member
    I’m thinking two syllables to go with our last name but one works too! Thanks for the ideas, I like Reagan Adelaide but worry it might be too long. Good thing I have several months to pour over baby name lists!
  • Options
    I love baby names but it takes my husband and I forever to agree. All three of our children have 3 syllable first names with a middle name of the same letter so we will be sticking with that pattern for this baby as well. Currently we have 
    Theodore Thomas (Theo)
    Clementine Cate (Emme)
    Enderson Edward (Ender)
    Current favorites for this baby are Louella or Louisa with Lucille as a middle name, Prunella Posy, Winnifred (no middle yet), or Francesca. Boys are harder our second son didn’t have a name until he was 2 weeks old. I like Benedict but not the nickname Ben or Benny, Harrison but not Harry, or Sebastian. My husband is not sold on any of them. 

@missmcgonnagal  for “H” I like Holden, Harrison, and Hugo. I feel like Callum sounds similar to Chaim but isn’t a CH. Another idea might be to find a name with a similar meaning to Chaim which I believe means life?

@whitealbum29 what about Eve for a nickname for Beverly?? You could pronounce it like Evvy instead of with a long E sound? 
  • Options
    briemobriemo member
    edited July 2020
    @aels12
    Reagan Jean 
    Reagan Grace

@Mayday31
    Winnifred Willow
  • Options
    @mayday31 I hadn't considered Evie, that could be cute! I always kind of wonder if people who pronounce it Evvy go through life always correcting people, but I have known an Evie who said it that way. I've also thought of Bea but SO didn't go for it...but he's also of the mind that he wants to just see if a nickname just organically happens.

I love Louisa! That was on my list. Louisa Lucille is very sweet. For boys what about Abraham (Abe/Bram), Finnegan (Finn), Gabriel (Gabe) or Oliver (Ollie)?
  • Options
    I've been thinking more about our top girl name: Muriel. But wondering how most people will pronounce it. Can you let me know how you'd pronounce it?
  • Options
    @lavenderclouds Mur-ree-el
    I feel like that looks different than how I’m pronouncing it. 🙈
  • Options
    jumpy57jumpy57 member
    edited September 2020
    @lavenderclouds I would pronounce it like a mashup of mural and Ariel
  • Options
    @lavendarclouds Myur-ee-l. The last syllable to me wouldn't be an "el" per se, but more like the sound an "l" makes. 
  • Options
    @lavenderclouds Ooh that's so nice! I think I would say MYUR-ee-uhl. 
  • Options
    Yay! Thank you everyone. You have renewed my confidence that people might actually pronounce it Mirror-E-elle. Or Mure-E-elle, which is close enough. Mur-E-elle is ok and I'll accept it, but more into the I sound.