2nd Trimester

Hate my dog

i know this sounds harsh, I've never been really attached to our dog. I deal with him for my boyfriend. But since I've been pregnant, I HATE him. He's become more aggressive towards me, probably because he can feel my anger towards him. I hate when he cries, barks or even looks at me. Last weekend he even bit me on the leg. I'm at the point where I'd love to get rid of him. I'm close to telling my boyfriend its me of the dog... Which I know he would not choose me. Is this something anyone else is going through with their pet? I'm an animal lover, I am. I lost my jack Russell two years ago and it was the hardest time ever. But this dog, I can't stand him. I don't even want to bring my baby home with this mut here! Idk what to do. Idk if this is just a phase in pregnancy.

Re: Hate my dog

• You never liked the dog and put up with him. But then he bit you. Why do you think he bit you? Did you make a motion towards him or was it completely unprovoked?

I had a friend in college who lived with her fiancé and they both came into the relationship with a dog. One day his dog followed hers into the kitchen and killed it. She broke a chair over its back and it kept mauling her dog. She moved out for two weeks and said her or the dog. He got rid of it. *However* I don't know based on your post if it rises to the level of worth a ultimatum.
  • Loading the player...
  • You all are very negative. I've always respected the dog. We adopted him and he has had anxiety issues from his previous owner beating him. He does not like me going near my boyfriend. Don't be quick to judge me. It's only been since I've gotten pregnant that the dog has gotten more aggressive and that's my reasoning for not standing him anymore
  • I will never post on here again, all I asked was is anyone else feeling this way. In the beginning, I couldn't stand my boyfriend.
  • I am an animal lover as well but have felt more aggravated at our dog since the minute I found out I was pregnant. I think it's somewhat natural based on things I've read. My dog is fine and doesn't seem to hold it against me lol but I think once I feel a little better I won't dislike him as much. He's just whiney, and clingy and it unnerves me sometimes! Don't worry. It'll probably pass with time.
  • arakinarakin member
    Dogs have a pack mentality If you establish yourself as an alpha over the dog this problem will likely go away. But be careful if the dog is already showing aggresion this can be dangerous. I can tell you as an animal behaviorist that if that dog is showing agression to you now and it isn't corrected the animal will likely see your child as a threat and attempt to eliminate the threat in the home. Do not underestimate a dog they are direct decendants of wolves.
  • redell1redell1 member
    edited July 2015
    Lmbo omg! I'm sorry I laughed so hard. I understand how u feel but it's not a dog its PEOPLE I don't like! Lol certain people of course, not all... These particular people make me cringe when I hear their voice! Ugh! I think it's just a pregnancy thing... It'll pass.. Hang in there.
  • arakinarakin member
    Don't be so quick to judge sweetheart I am a state board certified animal behaviorist. Books written by ameatures don't equal qualifications.
  • angpat85 said:
    You all are very negative. I've always respected the dog. We adopted him and he has had anxiety issues from his previous owner beating him. He does not like me going near my boyfriend. Don't be quick to judge me. It's only been since I've gotten pregnant that the dog has gotten more aggressive and that's my reasoning for not standing him anymore
    There was nothing negative in the responses, you simply didn't like what people were saying to you.

You've given us no way to understand you.  Basically you have this dog, and you're sorta "meh" about it, now you're pregnant and he's getting on your nerves and you've decided you HATE him (but provide no reason why).  Then he bites you, but again you don't tell us why.

Look, animals are simple.  They have very basic needs - food, water, place to poop, consistency & training from their owners, love, affection, and playtime.  Humans are the complicated ones.  If your dog is acting like a jerk, something is out of whack with his needs.  But I hardcore side-eye someone who says they're going to tell their boyfriend that "it's me or the dog," without providing a clear explanation of why.

And to answer your question, no, I am not having this issue with my pets.  Sometimes I'm a little more tired and cranky than usual, but I love my furbabies very much and I'm excited to see how my baby will bond with them.
    Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married 2010
    TTC: Feb 2014, BFP 7/14/14, CP 7/18/14
    BFP 3/10/15 - DD #1 born 11/19
    TTC #2: Oct 2017, BFP 12/19/17, CP 12/22/17
    BFP 2/20/18 - EDD 10/31/2018
  • edited July 2015
    Don't be so quick to judge sweetheart I am a state board certified animal behaviorist. Books written by ameatures don't equal qualifications.
    **Removed for TOU Violation**
  • eish22eish22 member
    My dog definitely annoys me more since I've gotten pregnant, but - so does EVERYTHING else. Its not his fault, hes the same dog as before I got pregnant, I certainly don't hate him for it. I still show him lots of love and even apologize to him later after I get irritated with him.
  • Dogs in general annoy me a lot more now I'm pregnant. I can't stand their smell and their saliva on me. I also hate it when they try and jump on my belly. But dogs aren't people, they don't get that you might be more sensitive to the fact they're around. I think if you're genuinely worried about your safety (and your baby's) around the dog, I would suggest some behavioural training and/or lessons with a professional. If you can attend the lessons yourself this would be great as then you can bond with the dog. Best to try and keep the dog if you can, the worst things for rescues is if they have to be rehomed again. Best of luck.
  • From the time I got my BFP with DS two years ago, I do not care for animals much anymore. We had two dogs and a cat, but rehomed one of the dogs with DH's mom. It was a rat terrier puppy (almost 3 years old) and he was always kept indoors, so he would get destructive out of boredom; he now has 5 acres at his new home. Anyway, it drives me crazy that we still have a dog and cat, but DH says he can't go through rehoming another animal, so I just try my best not to get too impatient with them.
  • angpat85 said:

You all are very negative. I've always respected the dog. We adopted him and he has had anxiety issues from his previous owner beating him. He does not like me going near my boyfriend. Don't be quick to judge me. It's only been since I've gotten pregnant that the dog has gotten more aggressive and that's my reasoning for not standing him anymore

Okay see, you left out an important piece of info. No one is judging or being negative. You just don't like what you're being told. How did you expect people to respond when you're sitting there talking about how much you hate this dog?
  • If he was aggressive towards you before you got pregnant, the change has been with you. If you don't take time with him to train or feed him, you will bring that anxt into the house when you bring LO home. I've got a great dane/mastiff mix that doesn't like anyone, not even my mother at first. So I had my mother start feeding her and walk her. Now, I can barely keep her from ignoring me. She doesn't particularly like my baby's daddy, but I control her actions around him. Yes, he has fed her as well but she is just uneasy around men. He doesn't complain about my dogs because he knows that it's a package deal. As a dog walker, I get asked all the time if a dog is aggressive, most of time they're just nervous. If it bit you, the dog may have just reacted to a movement you made or may be in some sort of discomfort. If you haven't taken him to a vet to see about medical issues, then YOU, the thinking human may just be the issue. Be a leader in your pack! Good luck!
  • becca150998becca150998 Just Joined
    I am currently feeling this post, but it’s my boyfriends dog and I’ve never hated something so much in my life, all started when I was looking after her on my own and she chewed up my makeup bag, went through the bins and shit and pissed all over the floor. 
    Ever since then I’ve never liked her, she’s a jealous dog and no matter who goes near my boyfriend she gets jealous, whines and barks and if it’s a child she will constantly growl. 
    He thinks nothing of it, but why am I going to want to bring our baby ‘home’ to a place where I don’t think it’s safe? He’s already told me if I’m to make him get rid of the dog he will never forgive me. 

• I am currently feeling this post, but it’s my boyfriends dog and I’ve never hated something so much in my life, all started when I was looking after her on my own and she chewed up my makeup bag, went through the bins and shit and pissed all over the floor. 
    Ever since then I’ve never liked her, she’s a jealous dog and no matter who goes near my boyfriend she gets jealous, whines and barks and if it’s a child she will constantly growl. 
    He thinks nothing of it, but why am I going to want to bring our baby ‘home’ to a place where I don’t think it’s safe? He’s already told me if I’m to make him get rid of the dog he will never forgive me. 

Why would you hate an innocent creature who only behaves the way she was taught was okay by your boyfriend? That doesn’t make any sense. Either pay to have the dog trained and get some counseling for the two of you or tell your boyfriend it’s better to give the dog to a better home to protect her from you. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN