Me: 33 DH: 32
Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
Started TTC August 2016
BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
BFP: 2/27/20

Re: The Great Question Thread

• Any TTM+ who got pregnant while still nursing? I have been hoping to wean my almost 2 year old soon, and am wondering if the pregnancy will make that easier? Will my supply drop low enough to make him stop on his own? Did your boobs get more or less sore than previous pregnancies? 
    TW
    Started TTC August 2016

• @hedgepig in my experience, 4 years ago my supply never dropped at all while pregnant. I had a pretty easy going 1 year old who just kind of transitioned. My boobs were reallllllly tender and sore during pregnancy and nursing. My nurse then told me to keep breastfeeding my colostrum would come back in which was good for my older one anyway. But I think she ended up weaning before it came in. I think, and could be wrong because I’m obviously not a DR, but I’m pretty sure our bodies adapt to nursing and being pregnant to make sure both babies are getting what they need and just suck a little more life out of us. 
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • Loading the player...
  • @Ecat504 Thanks for sharing! I know I could tandem nurse, but don't have any desire to. I'm hoping that my boobs get sore or my supply drops so I can use that to move things along... 😅
    TW
    Started TTC August 2016

• My sister in law breastfed my niece (1) while pregnant and her supply stayed the same, now she’s breastfeeding both of them niece 1 is 18 months and niece 2 is 2 months 
  • hedgepig said:
    @Ecat504 Thanks for sharing! I know I could tandem nurse, but don't have any desire to. I'm hoping that my boobs get sore or my supply drops so I can use that to move things along... 😅
    Tandem nursing wore me out just thinking about it. Hard pass for me, but total kudos to moms who do it! 

Sore boobs FTW 😂
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • @hedgepig I'm currently nursing my almost 2 year old, too. I'm hoping he weans soonish. I would like "a break" before I have a newborn. lol.
    Me: 30  DH: 34  Us: Est. 2009 (Dating) // 2013 (Married)
    DD1: 12/26/2013  DD2: 08/03/2016  DS1: 05/10/2018  Baby #4: EDD 11/22/2020 (Team Green)
  • @hedgepig STM here and also currently nursing my 13 month old.  No boob soreness but also curious to see how weaning plays out
  • I’m trying to train myself to sleep on my side, as I prefer to sleep on my back...  Every morning I wake up with the most sore shoulders - what are you supposed to do with your bottom arm! Up under my head results in it falling asleep, can’t have it squishing my sore boobs...... 
  • @angela444 With both of my previous pregnancies, I would bring it up to my doctor because without fail I would flip on to my back in the middle of sleeping and then wake up and stress out about it. My DR told me not to worry about it too much and just to do my best. That being said, a snoogle or other pregnancy pillow really helped once I was much bigger. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @angela444 I don’t start worrying about it this early in. It will get uncomfortable sleeping on your back. I have a body pillow that I sleep with on my side so that helps with me sleeping on my side. 
  • @angela444 I talked to my midwife about this last time and she pretty much said not to worry about it. At the point when it would ever actually become a risk, you'd be so uncomfortable that you'd pretty much be having to force yourself to stay that way against every instinct to move. She said you will definitely wake up before it even becomes a concern, and that there are too many other things that cause lost sleep in pregnancy to spend much time worrying much about this. I found it very reassuring, but definitely talk to your own doctor about it. I also second getting a bunch of pillows because that will become necessary at some point regardless. 
  • Thank you ladies, much appreciated!  
  • Hi all, I’m 4 weeks 3 days and I had my first pre-natal appointment with my doctor yesterday (via phone due to COVID-19). She asked me to go to a pharmacy to take my blood pressure. My results were 130/85, which is on the higher side, especially this early in the pregnancy. I’m in shape and exercise ~5 times a week, so am surprised and a little worried. Does anyone have experience with high BP? Any tips on how to help decrease it?
  • @jessileed Did you only take it once? I had a couple months a few years back where my BP was a little higher than we wanted. We think it was stress because I was active and eating healthy. I did some research back then on how to lower it and basically it was eating a lot of whole grains and fruits and vegetables as well as low fat dairy.

Also, if you take it again at the pharmacy, sit down a few minutes before you take it. I would say take it a few more times over the next couple days/weeks.
  • @mimser I only took it once... I’ll continue to exercise + eat healthy and hopefully will see it normalize over the next few weeks. Will try sitting down for a few minutes before for the next few times I take it - thanks for the advice!
  • STM+... how did you learn about the different options for birth plans? How did you create your birth plan? This is something I want to start thinking about sooner rather than later but I have no idea where to start. Any good books that discuss it?
  • @bserena My all-time fav for that is "The Birth Partner" by Penny Simkin. I had a goal of having a low intervention, unmedicated birth, and I thought it did a great job of laying out all the options and pros/cons so that you can make a good decision. "Expecting Better" I think has good info about some interventions too. I like Ina May's Guide to Childbirth if you're interested in unmedicated birth, as a source of inspiration and empowerment. Where are you going for care? You might have birth center options nearby, and you can ask for a consultation see what they offer. My practice is midwife based, with OBs on call (and you deliver at the hospital) - I asked them what kind of births are common, how they like to see births go, and just let them know what I was  thinking to see what they said. I went into it thinking I would really have to advocate for myself, but basically everything I wanted was stuff they were already doing, so I didn't even really need to write one. I did though, and it never even made it out of my hospital bag! I felt like it was a good exercise to get my thoughts straight and get MH on the same page.
    TW
    Started TTC August 2016

• @hedgepig thank you for your response! I will definitely look into those books and options. My OB is part of a hospital so I will talk with them and also look into birth centers around here. I appreciate your help :)
  • @bserena I just did the birthing classes provided by my hospital. I'm pretty laid back tho, so I just went with the flow. I wanted to go natural, but that didn't happen with number 1. Instead I got an epidural and had the worst experience ever. #2 I went natural. Definitely more painful, but I think I'd go that route again.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you like podcasts, please please please start listening to The Birth Hour. It's hundreds of women's birth stories. My eyes have been so opened to all different ways to birth and all the unique stories. There is an online birth course that the host of the podcast offers which I will be enrolling in this time around. It's not cheap, but with the uncertainty in the world, I want to be as educated as possible and I like the format of being able to do the modules from home. https://courses.thebirthhour.com/limited-time/?fbclid=IwAR2uzWeRtHv6ydruE8OwK1kraUyEXFuxjUDEHVauB1cIPwzpKIqaaM8wu8c

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Exactly what @kitkatz1990 said! Make it to the hospital and take it from there. I love the idea of a birth plan, but as a medical person I also love the understanding that the ultimate goal is get baby out safely and keep mama safe. No matter what that entails.
    me 32 | dh 45
    married <3 11.11.17
     mama. epicurean. plant lover. wine enthusiast.
  • How many of you who are planning on a hospital birth are also creating an alternate plan should we be in an even more dire situation come November regarding COVID-19? 
  • @laurenmicheley I hadn't thought about that as I hadn't really explored the idea of COVID still being a big deal so long from now... but you have a point! 

Is anyone taking progesterone? My OB prescribed it to me today and I am wondering if it has any side effects.
  • @laurenmicheley I don't have a plan, but it's definitely been on my mind. The problem is I'm not sure what I could even plan differently, which just makes it more scary. DH and I have tossed around the idea of temporarily moving back to my small hometown in ID that has a hospital with the thought that smaller populations might handle it all better than a huge metro area (just life in general, not just pregnancy, though that's big factor). But of course that sounds extreme and like an overreaction. But then the other side of that is that almost everything feels like an overreaction usually until you're past the point where making that overreacting choice would have helped and now you're stuck. I'm just hoping that things will be more clear one way or another in the next few weeks and then we'll reassess and see what plans can be made. 
  • @laurenmicheley YES. I had two vaginal hospital births with epidurals. I am signing up for the class I mentioned above so I will have knowledge about my other options out there... and if we're still in this COVID situation come second trimester, I will start looking in to hypnobirthing or something similar to prepare myself more for the possibility of going med free.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @laurenmicheley my secret fear is having to give birth and my husband not being allowed to be there. They’ve already placed strict visitation limits on the hospital. I’ve read some articles predicting that this virus is going to kind of die down during the summer and then make a comeback in the fall. I hope that isn’t the case!
  • @kitkatz1990 definitely hit the nail on the head. I wound up with an emergency c-section (the true kind of emergency where they have to put you to sleep for the surgery). It took a while to get over the trauma and disappointment of that. 
    @hedgepig yes! We definitely should make that thread happen a little later on. The STMs on my BMB when I was a FTM did it and it helped a bit to hear the varying experiences. 
  • kelk5kelk5 member
    @angela444 I highly recommend a U shaped pillow, especially if you have shoulder or hip pain sleeping on your side. I got one off of Amazon with my first pregnancy and love it. I can roll over to the other side without having to adjust anything. Prior to that pillow I was having to move pillows when I needed to flip sides, very annoying. Also, I wouldn't worry about sleeping position until it becomes uncomfortable but I'd buy a pillow early so you have it as soon as needed.
  • Was anyone seed cycling before they found out they were pregnant? If yes, did you continue to take the seeds?

I was seed cycling prior to getting my positive and read that it's good to keep going and to have all the seeds instead of just two. Also, it was suggested to double the sesame and sunflower if you had a history of early miscarriages. So right now I take a total of 6 tablespoons of seeds daily and this has become the worst time of the day as I can barely stomach them anymore...

Any thoughts?
  • @bserena I've taken progesterone every pregnancy and never had any noticeable side effects.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @bserena I did have mild dizziness occasionally about an hour after taking progesterone pills (200mg). Oddly, though, I’ve had no side effects from Progesterone injections, which I’ve been doing daily since March 3.