October 2020 Moms

STM+ Check-in 2/21/20

2»

Re: STM+ Check-in 2/21/20

• @mamaheatherl @coldbrew @profmcgonagall thanks ladies.   I feel better knowing other ladies have the same thoughts as me.  
  • Loading the player...
  • How far along are you? 
    5 weeks 5 days

Age(s) of other kid(s)? 
    3 DD

Rant/Rave:
    the wedding this weekend brought out all my feelings. I couldn’t stop crying. It was amazing. The only downside is DD demanded to be right next to her aunt the entire day. In every picture. In every special moment. 

Questions:
    Is anyone experiencing numbness tingling in their hands? I can’t figure out if it’s pregnancy related or a coincidence. 

GTKY: What is/are your pet peeve(s)?
    People who stop in the middle of a walk way to do whatever. Pull to the side so the rest of us can keep walking. People who expect waiters/waitresses to only be waiting on their table. My FIL is the worst when it comes to this and will refuse to give a tip if he noticed our waitress give another table attention. 
  • @babycakesday  There is a good chance that the numbness and tingling in your hands are related to pregnancy.  I started having issues with carpal tunnel syndrome and ulnar nerve issues with my first pregnancy.  They never fully went away.  A lot of my friends reported starting to have these issues when they were pregnant too.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @babycakesday, yep, carpal tunnel. I’ve had it really bad with each pregnancy. Increased blood flow in your body can tend to crowd things, including the nerves in your wrists.
  • How far along are you? 8w+1

Age(s) of other kid(s)? DD 3.5yrs

Rant/Rave: Rant: I'm as dry as the savanna, Rave: Maternity pants are my jam. 

Questions: Two totally different questions. 1. Any good lube recommendations? 2. What kind of mattress should I get my DD who is going into a twin bed? Could I get a memory foam one, or is a traditional spring mattress better? 

GTKY: What is/are your pet peeve(s)? Chewing with your mouth open & when people use groups (like here or FB) as their personal google.

@coldbrew soda water+bitters is my life right now. Also, I love the Disney announcement, I'm doing Disney too.
    @mkp0903 I second the Oh Crap! book, or just doing the no pants party. DD figured it out pretty quick that way, though I had to clean a lot of pee.
    @westslopemama my hiking friends swear by tula's. I love my lillebaby.
    @mamaheatherl I had a doula who also did postpartum services. She helped with a lot of dishes and laundry. DH stayed home with me for 2 weeks and he would do diaper changes when I bf. MIL lived close and came over to help too. But weeks 3-6 were rough for me, as I had a pretty sudden c/s after laboring for 36 hours. It's a mix of surviving and just doing what you can. I lived in my bedroom the first month and a half. Not trying to scare you, just prepare you. You figure it out :)

• @dolewhipper personally I bought the cheapest mattress that wasn’t terribly squishy. There’s a huge chance mini will ruin it by jumping or spilling something. We have mattress protectors, but it only takes one bad sickness to run out of spare mattress protectors. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @deaddahliah I like your thinking, lady!
  • @dolewhipper We did a memory foam mattress for DD when she made the switch last year. She loves it and I love I too whenever I’ve had to sleep with her during bad nights. 
  • If you haven’t already told your littles that you’re pregnant, when/how will you?

I was thinking we could tell mini after my first appointment, assuming things look good, but now I’m wondering if that’s a good idea. He’s 4 and can’t keep a secret; we don’t exactly want to tell everyone at only 8wks. 
  • @deaddahliah my 4 year old did great keeping it a secret the last time but then things didn’t work out. I’m not going to lie to him so if he asks, I would tell him but I’m also not really telling him right now either because he struggled so hard when we lost our baby. Anyway, I guess we will see how my appointment goes Monday and then I’ll see what I want to do about it. He prays every night for Jesus to please bring us a new baby girl. ♥️😭
  • @deaddahliah, I’ll probably tell my kids after my first US but I’ll be almost 10 weeks by then. We aren’t exactly *not* talking about it around them, so if they ask I’ll just tell them when they ask. 

Although I’m realizing this may not be a good idea if we’re trying to keep it from my in-laws until after May...
  • @mdfarmchick mini has been telling people he wants a little sister too. 😍

@NME44 it’s so hard talking about stuff when they’re around all the time! He would already know if he were a little older, but he doesn’t know what maternity means. 🤣

I think I’m still leaning towards telling him after my appointment Tuesday. I don’t really care if he tells his teacher or classmates, I might be able to keep him from anyone else long enough. 
  • My babe is probably too little to tell people but I can see him pointing at my tummy and scream BABY! So we'll wait until we tell everyone else to really start preparing him. He's about to be 20 months 😭
  • @morethanamama tbf, mini does the same thing for no reason. That’s totally easy to brush off. 🤣
  • @deaddahliah we'll tell my 4 yo after my first US (on Tuesday). We talk about it around him constantly, but he's so oblivious. I was a surrogate, so I think to him pregnancy does not equal baby. My first pregnancy I was so concerned about not telling anyone until 12 weeks and then making grand announcements. This go-round though, I am too tired to be worried about the subterfuge. Lots of people will find out after I tell DS, but I think that will come more from my mom taking DS knowing as a green light to tell everyone under the sun. 

As for how, I want to get him a big brother book and give it to him as a gift. He loves reading, so I think that will be a sweet and simple way to tell him. He's asked for a baby numerous times in the past, but I'm not really expecting much of a reaction from him.
  • How far along are you? 8weeks 3 days

Age(s) of other kid(s)? FTM 

Rant/Rave: I really love love love how my body is doing all these weird things... who knew you could be so hyper sensitive to all the changes? 

Questions: I live far from my OB & will be using my second language to communicate... do you think dr google is a safe place to ask questions? Sometimes it’s scary other times helpful 

GTKY: What is/are your pet peeve(s) I really can’t stand hearing people chew!! Cringe 
  • @courtneyjoy247 this is a check in for second time moms and up (STM+). I know there's an FTM check in somewhere.

I would be careful with Dr. Google. It really depends on the questions, though. And where you're getting the information online. I've certainly googled things but I wouldn't rely solely on it or anything.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • @deaddahliah I have been feeling the mom guilt about telling my two littles that I'm tired or "sick" when I need to lay down so I was looking forward to telling them after our 8 week appt that there's a reason why. We had that appt yesterday and got a peek at baby so we told them last night. They were half excited and half indifferent (3&5) I honestly thought they might just forget lol but they did mention it to daycare provider today. Which is fine because she knows. We told close friends and family today so its ok if dd's can't shush for a few more weeks.
  • Smelh324Smelh324 member
    edited February 2020
    I lost who mentioned rock n plays but you're just saying ALL rock n plays are recalled?? Have they redesigned or just got rid of them  :sweat_smile:
  • @Smelh324 that was me! All have been recalled as there have been fatalities. Fisher Price advertised them as being safe for sleep which they aren't. I got rid of mine, however, I know people who kept theirs and still use them while baby is awake or for supervised naps.

But I just realized you said you got rid of your baby stuff, right? So I guess this doesn't matter if you don't still have one, so this wasn't all that helpful, huh? 🤣
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • @Smelh324 Whenever my kid asks why I'm acting strange, I just say "I'll tell you in a few weeks" with the time span getting shorter and shorter. He's satisfied with the answer and I'm not lying to him. Your kiddos' reactions sound about right for their ages.

As for the rock n plays, OMG, that was all DS would sleep on (that or me) for the first 6 months. I was nervous about it at first, but our ped said it was fine. We didn't use it by the time he would have been big/coordiated enough to rock it himself. I could see how it could be dangerous if you had an enthusiastically helpful older sibling or large, spastic dog.
  • @aztecash yeah, they were recalled for safety reasons. My son had reflux and was super colicky. It was the only way he slept for a couple of months. The biggest problem was when people left them unsupervised, unbuckled and they could roll. To be honest I still have one, but I’ll only use it if we are desperate. I’m getting a Snoo this time around (just no one tell my husband how much they cost). 
  • Even when strapped in, the incline of the device can cause positional asphyxiation. Their chin points down to their chest, their airways gets compromised and they lack the strength to move on their own. It’s the same reason babies shouldn’t sleep in car seats outside of the car. I used one with my son before the recall, and it was convenient AF, but have no regrets about trashing it. 

https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/Pages/AAP-Urges-U-S-Consumer-Product-Safety-Commission-to-Recall-Fisher-Price-Rock-n-Play-Sleeper.aspx

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @mkp0903 my husband's company gives us a Snoo rental for 6 months as a benefit. We loved the Snoo with our first!! Only thing is that it's a bit high so I always had to actually sit up to get baby at night.
  • How far along are you? 6+4

Age(s) of other kid(s)? DS is (almost) 4, SS 1 is 9, SS 2 is 7

Rant/Rave: Ranting in my midwife. I think she assumes that since this is #2 that I'm totally calm and collected. I still get anxious and have questions!

Questions: Any pre-e mamas here? DS was 6 weeks preemie due to severe pre-eclampsia. 

GTKY: What is/are your pet peeve(s)? People who are rude!
  • @anitamargarita_82 I am late to this as I just joined the group, but I am a preemie mom as well. My son was born at 34 weeks and spent 2 weeks in the NICU. Totally feeling the same way!
  • @morethanamama that’s so cool they cover it! I’ve read they have discounts for just about everyone. I know they have a physician discount, so I’m going to buy one. There’s a pretty good resale market around here (and all of my friends are in various stages of building families). Good to know about it sitting high.  Might work well for us b/c we have a pretty tall bed. I had to use a step stool to get in and out after my c-section 😂
  • @mkp0903 I would absolutely expect the resale market to be good! It was a bit higher than our bed but overall it was an absolute dream and DS loved it, I hope this baby does too!