October 2020 Moms

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• @psmk521 I have noticed that for mild, annoying nausea ginger tea, or ginger candy or whatever helps. Same with peppermint. Crackers or some other snack that's easy on the stomach is a fairly safe thing when you're stomach nasty gotten empty and you need to resettle it. I have also noticed I have better luck eating according to cravings and avoiding aversions. This one might seem weird but I think some of my morning sickness is a result of silent reflux. So I have started taking a pepcid at night and it helps. That probably won't work for everyone but it has helped me. 

The other thing I noticed is that with severe nausea and/vomiting not much helps. With my daughter it was so bad. And nothing I tried helped enough to make me feel human again. 
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Looking for some insight...went into the ER yesterday because I had some major cramping and passed what looked like 2 small red-brown clots. They were very small, but large enough to know they were there. On ultrasound, I measured right at 6 weeks and 2 days (my exact lmp date), and a yolk sac is present. However, that's about it....nothing else in there. My hcg was around 38,000. The doctor said with an hcg that high and to measure at 6 weeks 2 days there should be some evidence of a fetal pole, but there isnt. I'm going back tomorrow for a recheck hcg, but has anyone gotten this far ultrasonographically and not had a fetus develop? The ultrasound tech seemed hopeful, the doctor not so much.
  • Loading the player...
  • @futuredvmmama you may want to move this to the spotting thread or add a TW. 

But to answer your question, you just may have to wait a couple more days. It’s also not uncommon for the lmp due date line up so correctly with size, since things are soooo small in there. Can you get a repeat u/s in a week? Sending so much love and I hope it was just random bleeding (pregnancy brain for the life of me is making me forget the term, but it can happen in many pregnancies and cause some good deal of bleeding... it happened with my sister). Sending you good vibes and peace. 
  • I hope this hasn't already been asked already! But is anyone here combating bloat? I don't normally do anything because mine happens right before my period and I know it will resolve itself, but I'm not having it right now haha. I'm doing but health things/probiotic, and working out every day (still) 
    But so far nothing is helping.. it can't all be ab separation and I just want it to go away 😩
  • Just embrace it, @kalesix3. If you're drinking 100oz of water and eating well, it's just your body starting to hold onto everything. 
  • @kalesix3 - You mentioned probiotics, but are you also getting prebiotics, as well? Probiotics are great for gut health, but with our highly-acidic American diets, much of the good bacteria in probiotics is killed quickly by our stomachs before it has a chance to reach our lower intestines. This is where prebiotics come in. They help lay the foundation and prepare your gut to receive as much good bacteria as possible from your probiotics. Prebiotics (aka Inulin) can be found in chicory root and green banana, but I choose to get mine through BeLive or Olly brand gummes that I get from Amazon.
    Me: 37 / DH: 41
    Due with baby #2: Feb 2022

• @futuredvmmama TW (trigger warning) would be a great thing to add.

Hoping the bleeding stops and everything turns out fine. I did have some bleeding in the beginning with my DD around 8 weeks and everything turned out okay. It was just a small tear in the lining of my uterus which resolved itself. Keep us updated. 

• @dolewhipper noooo!!! That's what I was afraid of :( I'm not going down without a fight though! 
    @babyodo so I'm taking Seed probiotics... Supposedly it's the best formula with prebiotics and hella expensive, but false marketing is everywhere so who knows how good it really is! I'll definitely look up inulin and get a supplement asap, thank you so much for the helpful info!! 
  • @JLaVO888- thanks for the heads up, and sorry to anyone I may have upset. I have never been on one of these boards and don't really know what most of these abbreviations mean.
  • When is everyone’s first ultrasound? I went to a new OB today (mine retired 😩) and they told me they won’t do an ultrasound until week18??? 
    With my other 2 I had ultrasounds around week 7
  • @obxbride2b my practice does a dating ultrasound at the first appointment (8-10 weeks). Were you offered a nuchal translucency scan? Those have to be done before 14 weeks if you decide to do it (it’s optional at my practice).  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @obxbride13 that’s totally normal, my last OB only did an anatomy scan at 20weeks. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @futuredvmmama no worries! It’s really hard at first to get used to all the lingo here but pretty soon you will be using it in real life and in your head all the time and wondering why DH is looking at you like you have three heads.  I have to erase DH in texts to my IRL friends and put his name because they would have no clue what I’m talking about but my fingers just auto type that now. 

@obxbride13 My first US and appointment is not until 11 weeks. With DS it was at 13 weeks. Not quite as long of a wait as you but it does suck waiting so long to see that things are healthy in there. 

• @obxbride13 I'm getting more u/s than normal because of my history with ectopic. Usually they do a dating scan around 8 weeks for "normal" pregnancies, but some practices do blood draws. I'm surprised they won't doa  nuchal scan around 12-14 weeks though? I would question that. 
  • I have a dating U/S at 8 weeks, then not another until the anatomy scan. My practice really pushes NIPT blood tests and they don't do an NT scan with those. 

They sometimes will do a "surprise" ultrasound if they only room they have free has an US machine. I had a lot with both my kids. 
    Furbaby (Oscar) | 12/9/2010
    DD | 7/3/2015 
    DS | 2/20/2018
    LO#3 | EDD: 10/11/2020 TEAM GREEN!
  • I'm getting my 6 week ultrasound next week, but that is only because I had to see an RE to get pregnant. Once I am released to my OB, I will have another one, but I hear it isn't until anout 12wks or so. Everything just depends on the practice and circumstances. It is hard to wait for the ultrasounds though! I totally get it.
  • Thanks for all the responses! I didn’t realize the NT was a scan, this new practice just told me insurance wouldn’t cover it and I didn’t question it. I think I’m going to go back to my original practice 
  • Any one else sick? If so, how are you dealing with it? 
  • @remember17 sick how? If you’re talking about nausea we have all talked a lot about it over in the symptoms thread. 
  • Illnesses - such as a cold. Currently have laryngitis and super sore throat 
  • @remember17 meeeeee. My throat is burning and I’m sore all over. So far no fever. Now that my husband is home, I’m hiding in our bedroom trying to relax and drink some tea. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @remember17 ugh that’s the worst. I’m so sorry! Maybe try salt water gargling, and some honey and lemon tea? Sending healing vibes your way! 
  • fitzfizzfitzfizz member
    edited February 2020
    @remember17 I’m not sick at the moment, but I work in primary care so we basically get exposed to everything. It had been a rough cold/flu season. There are some medications that are thought to be OK in pregnancy (pregnancy category B ) for colds like acetaminophen, guaifenesin, and diphenhydramine. Unfortunately for a sore throat mostly only Tylenol would help. Gargling with super salty water is an old favorite and never discount the power of the age old hot tea with honey and lemon! 
  • I don’t know what to do. I haven’t been able to keep anything down the last 24 hours, thrown up 4 times since 10am. I don’t know if this is normal and I’m just being a wimp, or a stomach bug, or what. I called my dr office on call provider and she said she could prescribe me reglan, or I could go to the ER. I looked up reglan and it looks pretty safe but on drugs.com it said “Use during the first and third trimesters should be avoided when possible.” So I just don’t know what to do 😩
  • @psmk521call them back and ask if you can take the unisom and b6. If that doesn’t work after a couple days, my girlfriend threw up multiple times daily with her pregnancy and took diclegis which is a prescription, but basically just unisom and b6 in higher dose. I’m unaware of the side effects of it though. 

It can be normal, though. When you’re losing weight though, and can’t keep water down or most foods on a consistent basis, that’s when doctors get more concerned. My girlfriend had it daily through the entire first and second trimester. 
  • @psmk521 you can also ask for Zofran if you feel more comfortable with that
  • @psmk521, I definitely recommend the unisom and B6. I’ve taken it every pregnancy and it has worked for me. I started taking it almost a week ago this time and it’s helped. 
    Me: 27 DH: 27
    Married 6/15/13
    BFP #1 5/8/16, EDD 12/31/16- DD born 9/10/16 at 24 weeks 
    ~In our hearts forever~
    BFP #2 10/14/17, EDD 7/1/18

• I'm technically due nov 1-4th ...but cant find a november birth  board any suggestions?
  • @bwild89 wait. Hang out in the 1st tri board. They usually start a "Waiting room" thread for nov bumpies.
  • Thanks all for your support. I did end up going to the ER and I’m really glad I did because I don’t think I would’ve been able to keep any pill down anyway. They were so nice, gave me fluids and a dose of reglan and then sent me home with a Unisom/B6 prescription :) 
  • Just catching up...add me to the multiple breakfasts group. I was going to respond earlier this morning that I was specifically trying to be better about that this time around. Last pregnancy, I was sooo bad about it and I gained almost 60lbs!! That was before I had THREE breakfasts this morning. Yes, 3. Also I’m not sleeping. I’ve been moving to the guest room in middle of night. My husband and my 2 dogs all snore and it’s impossible to get back to sleep when I wake up randomly. 
  • Yesterday my midwife told me that it could be a good idea to start baby aspirin after 12 weeks to help keep my BP low since last pregnancy at the very end I suddenly had two days of elevated readings. It did resolve itself but I'd rather not have to go through the same thing this time. 
    Has anyone here done the same thing? I've always heard not to take aspirin so it seems a little strange. 
  • How long does it take the unisom + B6 to work? Like do I have to take it for a certain number of days before it really starts to make a difference?
  • @kalesix3 I am taking a baby aspirin every morning. I had pre-e with my son so they wanted me to start taking it. I know plenty of PG ladies who are taking/have taken aspirin.
  • @kalesix3 I will start taking baby aspirin at 12 weeks for clotting issues. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • The rules around aspirin have changed quite a bit in the last 4 years. With DD they said to avoid and by the time I was pregnant with DS it was okay for some trimesters and some needs. 
  • psmk521 said:
    How long does it take the unisom + B6 to work? Like do I have to take it for a certain number of days before it really starts to make a difference?
    It took a week for me before I really noticed a difference. 
    Furbaby (Oscar) | 12/9/2010
    DD | 7/3/2015 
    DS | 2/20/2018
    LO#3 | EDD: 10/11/2020 TEAM GREEN!
  • What’s the deal with maternity bathing suits? I was late pregnant in the winter before and have zero summer maternity stuff. Are they necessary? Can you just get a regular 2 piece in a bigger size? Going to the beach middle of 2nd tri and just curious about other experiences. 
  • Thanks ladies! I guess I just have to be careful when to stop taking it at the end of pregnancy because it can increase the chances of PPH if you stay on it too long and I definitely don't want that. 
  • Anyone who has had a doula at their births, how did you go about choosing a doula? I'm just curious about that process or if you just kind of find one online and go with them.

Those who had a doula, was it with your OB or midwife?