October 2020 Moms

The Disney Thread

With so many “Disney people” on the board, I think we need our own Disney Park Junkies thread.

Post about your trip plans, Disney news/rumors, snacks, etc etc. Disney newbies, ask questions here! 

To start - did everyone see another increase in ticket prices yesterday? 🙄
Furbaby (Oscar) | 12/9/2010
DD | 7/3/2015 
DS | 2/20/2018
LO#3 | EDD: 10/11/2020 TEAM GREEN!

Re: The Disney Thread

• I’m going with my middle school students at the end of April! We’re driving overnight on a charter bus on the way down there and the way back. I can’t wait!!! 

Not gonna lie though, my second thought after finding out I’m preggo (right after the elation), was “can I even ride any coasters!?” 😩 
  • pelomamapelomama member
    edited February 2020
    @singing_koala there is way more that you CAN do than you can’t! You can’t ride the big roller coasters, but TBH Disney doesn’t have that many huge rides. Anything without a height requirement you’re good to go! I’ve been in 1st and 3rd tri with my other pregnancies and found plenty to do. 

Also SNACKS. I would be perfectly happy to go to Disney, eat all day and people watch! 
    DD | 7/3/2015 
    DS | 2/20/2018
  • Loading the player...
  • Hardcore Disney fan here. My family grew up mere minutes away from Disneyland when I was a kid (we could see the fireworks from where we lived), and ever since I moved to the east coast in 2009, I have become a Disney World convert. I love how immersive WDW is - it is its own city! I have gone ten times in the past nine years, and will be going again next February (2021) as a family reunion. Our last visit was in Feb. 2018 with 13 of us in total, and our next trip will be more like 18 (give or take). 

I am also a runDisney fanatic, and have done 8 half marathons (6 Princess, 2 Wine & Dine) and numerous 10Ks and 5Ks tacked on to the with challenges. I don't think I'll be doing the Princess half next year, but will most likely do the 5K with my family and the 10K either solo or with my brother in-law since he's also a runner.

I've never done Disney with an infant, and this LO will be about 4 months (so...super cute and chubby lol) so I could use all the tips for any Disney mom veterans. Mainly, I'm thinking of stroller suggestions, what to pack for the parks, should we leave the stroller in our room & babywear since LO will be so small still? I'm a total planner, so it's not crazy to me to be thinking this far ahead. You should see the color-coded itinerary that I come up with in Excel for each trip - it's even laminated in case we go on water rides!
    Me: 37 / DH: 41
    Due with baby #2: Feb 2022

• @ttcbabyodo - I want to do the princess half! I did the wine and dine when I was 6wks pregnant with my first. It was awful, SO cold, poured the entire time, I wanted to quit. I feel you on the excel 🤣 We have a shared google doc that we all work on starting almost a year in advance!

We brought my daughter when she was 4 months and my son was 10 weeks. We brought the stroller. The only real hassle is the bus. I like to baby wear but I tend to overheat and it makes my shoulders ache after a while. Plus babies come with a lot of stuff and it was nice to not have to haul it around! What I usually do is have small packing cubes with the necessities - diapers and wipes in one, snacks (or bottles if you need them) in another, then stick the packing cubes under the stroller. I bring a lululemon bag or reusable shopping tote to throw all the packing cubes and other things we acquire throughout the day into for the bus ride, makes it really easy. Trying to think what else we pack that’s not something you would think of beforehand but I can’t think of anything 🤔 
    DD | 7/3/2015 
    DS | 2/20/2018
  • I wouldn't call myself a fanatic necessarily, but as a Floridian, I've been a bunch.  My MIL works for them, so we go pretty regularly.  We always brought our regular stroller so that we had a place to store the cooler and diaper bag and had a wrap tucked in the bottom.

Disney's baby care centers are hidden gems!  I know they have them in Magic Kingdom and Epcot, but I am guessing something similar in all parks.  Comfy nursing chairs and changing stations, air conditioned, tv on, ability to purchase things you might have forgotten, entertainment for siblings.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We tend to go to Disneyland once a year, and we were planning on going this September for the Halloween stuff (my boys are OBSESSED with Nightmare Before Christmas) but waddling around Disneyland 8 months pregnant sounds like, well, a nightmare. So bummed. 
  • I actually only went to WDW for the first time last year for my DD’s make-a-wish trip, and now we are obsessed as a family. We are going back for Easter and I can’t wait! I found out I was pregnant the day before we had to book fast passes, so I switched our plans around to do all any height rides. I’m a little nervous about all the walking and heat, but hopefully morning sickness will be tapering away by then. 
  • I’m soooo glad we renewed our passes last month, but I’m usually waiting for the increase in prices in late January. 

It’s part of my job to be on top of everything Disney World, and I’m the “Disney mom” of my work since I go so often. I can hear the magic kingdom fireworks from my home every night. 

There’s baby care centers in every park! Usually right next to the First Aid station. They are a life saver; bottle warmers, nursing rooms with rocking chairs (and outlets for pumping moms), a little shop for things you might forget, and toddler sized potties. 

My DD has been going since she was 2 months old, I love sharing tips and tricks for everything Disney and kids. I will say though that I hate using the bus system and having a stroller, especially at the end of the night. Packing light is my biggest suggestion. It’s easy to overpack. 

My Lille baby carrier was a godsend (and learning how to breastfeed in it), and having a stroller with a great turning radius is a must (I love my citymini gt). You can rent strollers from companies with good brands if you don’t want to take your stroller. 

Also, I know it’s a popular tip that if a ride doesn’t have a height requirement it’s ok for pregnant women. That’s not always the case, so just watch out. I personally won’t be riding the safari in animal kingdom in the next few weeks-sometimes they go over very rough terrain and bumps. Also, Soarin has a height requirement but I’ll totally ride that. 
  • @singing_koala (and everyone else) - ask your OB/midwife what they say about Disney-style rollercoasters. My midwife told me that I was okay to ride them and the only real risks associated with rides and rollercoasters were the safety bar coming down hard on your belly and falling while getting in or out. She also said that the most the baby would feel is a gentle rocking. I went on rides rides with warnings up until almost the end of my 2nd tri with my son and he turned out great. He does really love rollercoasters, though... But don't listen to the crazy lady on the internet, ask your OB/midwife. 

Ugh, every time they raise prices, I threaten my husband that it's our last year to have passes, and every year we end up renewing, though we have downgraded a few times. My first premium pass for Disneyland right when I started dating DH was $220. That same pass is $1,500 now. Ridiculous! 

Am I the only west coast Disney person? I went to Disney World on a family trip in 4th grade, but so much has changed since then. 
  • I went to Disney World a lot when I was growing up, but I went to Disneyland for the first time when DS was about 6 months old.  I thought that Disney World was way better than Disneyland.  I did like the baby care center; I enjoyed being able to breastfeed in an air conditioned building that was quiet and comfortable.  I really want to eventually go to Disney's resort in Hawaii (Aulani).  
    Pregnancy Ticker
    edited February 2020
    @aztecash I have been to Disneyland twice and absolutely love it. We are east coasters so WDW is closer.

@dolewhipper agree I forgot about soarin, definitely fine! I have ridden the safari pregnant too but just asked to sit in the front when I was out of my first tri.
    DD | 7/3/2015 
    DS | 2/20/2018
  • Smelh324Smelh324 member
    edited February 2020
    Pretty jealous of this whole group! I'm a Disney lover from a distance. I'm smack dab in the middle of the country in Omaha, Nebraska so there is no ideal coast to pick haha. I went to Disneyland twice when I was a kid and absolutely loved it! I'm kicking myself for not planning a trip with DH before we had kids to go to either coast because we would have had such a fun relaxing time. We took both DD's to Disneyworld 1 year ago and Disneyland 1.5 years ago and we loved it but it was also very stressful with them both being so young. Our kids are not easy breezy drag me around for 12 hours and we'll love it kind of kids. Yet they also wouldn't nap, it was interesting. I'm a planner by nature so I also really enjoyed having like 4 months of planning and research in advance, that's half the treat of going.

Might be a couple more years till we make it back! Till then I have disney food videos to get me by :)
  • Is everyone in here from around FL? Im in Miami. I wanted to take DD to Disney before starting Kinder, but now picturing me waddling around in the heat sounds like torture.....maybe I need to do an earlier trip. But, then it won't be able to double as a birthday gift as her birthday is in October....right when baby is due. I'm definitely not doing a party for her this year. Yikes 
  • My husband has never been to a Disney park and doesn’t have that much interest in going 😭😭 he says he’ll go when our kids are old enough but I wish he loved it like I do. 

I feel like an imposter Disney fan...I absolutely love Disneyland and it’s the happiest place in the world, but I haven’t been that many times or anything. Probably a handful of times in my life. Wish I could go more!
  • I’m so exited there is Disney fanatics here  <3

We just took my 3yo for his 3rd birthday Jan 12-15 and it was the best trip!! It was our first with him, and my first time staying onsite. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We’re leaving for Disney in a week and we’re very excited.  I haven’t been in a very long time and neither has my husband.  Our four year old is over the moon and really wants to see toy story land at Hollywood Studios.

I’m a little bummed that our dining plan comes with alcoholic drinks 🤦🏻‍♀️.  Also not sure how I feel about the rides, what I really need to skip and what I can go on.

We’re staying in a cars suite at the Art of Animation.  We got the salute to military deal on our room and our park hopper tickets.
  • I’m so excited to be sharing a birth month club with so many other Disney loving mommas!! 

I’m from MA and a WDW Passholder. I don’t “renew” I wait til my next trip to purchase so I don’t lose out on those few months. So my new pass activated on this trip 1/29-2/5. I got my BFP at 7pm 1/28 while packing for the trip. My SO wasn’t joining this trip, just me and my 5yo Disney-loving son. I was planning to purchase his AP by upgrading his ticket once we arrived. Had 6 trips on the calendar for this year including our 2 week long trip in Sept that we all do every year (the only one my SO joins). Well I decided not to upgrade my sons ticket to an AP since we’re scaling back due to being pregnant. 

I’m hoping to get down in June for a few days and then early December for my sons birthday and Very Merry Christmas. (I don’t get paid maternity so it’ll really depend on finances if we can make it happen since I am taking the full 12 weeks). I’m so sad to miss the Halloween party this year but I know I won’t do well in the heat being that pregnant. 

My SO isn’t loving the idea of taking a newborn in December but I’m definitely not leaving baby behind. Any tips for Disney with a newborn will be appreciated since my son was already potty trained when we started going frequently! I had to exclusively pump with my son so while nursing is my goal- I’m prepared to EP this time around too if needed. That part gives me the most anxiety for the parks. 

I grew up going to WDW but never DisneyLand. It was our goal for Jan 2021 once my WDW AP expires but we’ll push that back another year or two so hopefully this baby will get to interact. 

Also took photos on this trip with the Celebration buttons for our reveal to our families. They LOVED them.
  • @tropicgal2020 - I used to live in Miami (2009-2012) which is when I fell in love with WDW. I had only ever gone to DL before (my family used to live just outside of Anaheim), and I was blown away by how immersive WDW is in comparison to DL. 

I frequently follow various Disney message boards and blogs. My favorites are Disboards, EasyWDW, The Mouse for Less, MouseSavers, Your First Visit (even though we've been many times, it's still a good resource), and Military Disney Tips.

• @sbeecy You can do other speciality drinks besides alcohol with the meal plan, like milk shakes or frozen things. 

Brace yourself for the insane crowds at HS right now. With the boarding pass system for the new Star Wars ride it is jam packed right at open. We ended up leaving at noon and coming back in the evening and had a much better time in Toy Story land then. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @sbeecy see if the server will do a mocktail for you. Usually they’re quite understanding, and some of the mock tails are super yummy. 

@tropicgal2020 I’m in central Florida but grew up in ft Lauderdale and Kendall. Lots of family still down there. I suggest getting the fl resident multi day and just taking it low and slow. Sept can be a great time, and take breaks! 

@mammatoomc I see pumping moms all the time in the parks—and I bow down to them! I’m thankful I was able to nurse and having a lightweight, breathable carrier was a godsend. I was able to whip it out and feed DD on demand. By dec baby should have the first round of shots and be fine... that’s when I took my DD for her first trip. The baby care centers have outlets for pumping in the nursing rooms, and Starbucks and jeffreys never mind getting you extra ice. The hotel you stay at should also be able to freeze milk and freezer packs for you too. 
  • I am here for this thread. I have been planning our DW vacation this week. None of us had ever been to DW. I grew up in CA so we went to DL a lot. Hubby and DD will be complete first timers this summer. We just set up reservations for the light saber thing and the make over on DD birthday morning. My first questions is where should I make reservations for dinner for DD birthday. I can’t decide on any of them because they all sound fun. So any suggestions on what might blow her mind and make it the best birthday ever? 
  • sbeecy said:
    We’re leaving for Disney in a week and we’re very excited.  I haven’t been in a very long time and neither has my husband.  Our four year old is over the moon and really wants to see toy story land at Hollywood Studios.

I’m a little bummed that our dining plan comes with alcoholic drinks 🤦🏻‍♀️.  Also not sure how I feel about the rides, what I really need to skip and what I can go on.

We’re staying in a cars suite at the Art of Animation.  We got the salute to military deal on our room and our park hopper tickets.
    This may be a flammable confession but I went right after I found out I was KU with my first (I wasn’t even 4 weeks) and I rode everything. Prefacing this by “not an OB” but I believe the big risk is placental abruption, and you don’t even have a placenta til the end of the 1st tri. Also none of the Disney rides are THAT intense 
    DD | 7/3/2015 
    DS | 2/20/2018
  • I am here for this thread. I have been planning our DW vacation this week. None of us had ever been to DW. I grew up in CA so we went to DL a lot. Hubby and DD will be complete first timers this summer. We just set up reservations for the light saber thing and the make over on DD birthday morning. My first questions is where should I make reservations for dinner for DD birthday. I can’t decide on any of them because they all sound fun. So any suggestions on what might blow her mind and make it the best birthday ever? 
    Is she into princesses? Cinderella’s royal table or akershus are the most princess-y
    DD | 7/3/2015 
    DS | 2/20/2018
  • @pelomama yes she is obsessed. Thank you!
  • @babycakesday I just did the Voyagers Breakfast with Ariel, Eric, Punzie and Eugene and it was DELISH. Honestly I love breakfast a heck of a lot more than dinner, especially with the littles because you never know how the day will end up. I have heard amazing things about 1900 Park at Grand Floridian though, with Cinderella characters. And you can never get more over the top than Royal Table, but you’re paying $$$$$ for atmosphere. 
  • You guys! We JUST got home from our first Disney Cruise and it was MAGICAL! We go to the parks as often as we can get there from the Pacific Northwest (my 1-year-old has already been to WDW and DL) but this was a whole new level. So glad to see this thread pop up when I got home! 🤣
  • @Kurtni good to know I can still have fancy drinks with my meal!

@dolewhipper I never even thought about asking for mocktails, I’ll definitely keep it in mind!

@pelomama I think that’s my plan but I didn’t know how people would react but I’m glad you said something 😁
  • babyodobabyodo member
    edited February 2020
    In planning for our February 2021 WDW trip, I researched where the baby care centers are located in each park and will have this info printed on the backside of our itineraries so we have it on-hand while we're there. I figured it'd help for others on this board who are also planning on visiting with their LOs.

MK:
    Near First Aid Station, between Casey's Corner and the Crystal Palace
    EPCOT:
    Odyssey Center, near Test Track and Showcase Plaza
    Hollywood Studios:
    Inside Guest Relations at main entrance to the park
    Animal Kingdom:
    To the left of the Tree of Life in the building right before you cross the bridge into Africa

Also, there are plenty of areas in each park that are off the beaten path where exhausted moms and dads can sit down with their LO without having to haul themselves all the way to the baby care centers. Off the top of my head, my favorite resting place is the rocking chairs in Liberty Square at MK. They're just outside the Heritage House gift shop, near the Hall of Presidents. There are several scattered around the area. Keep in mind, though, that if there will be a parade within the hour, it'll get crowded and you may not find an open rocking chair. If you do manage to snag one, since they're up on a porch, you'll be able to see above most of the crowd that gathers for the parade.

Those are only good if you don't need an outlet to charge your phone or use your breast pump. If that's a concern, you can go to the Tangled themed rest area in the area between Fantasyland and Frontierland. My sister and I hung out there for about an hour on our last trip, charging our phones and people-watching, and while it was a lot busier, it wasn't overly-crowded if that makes sense. The outlets are located in those little upright logs (you can see the square-shaped inset in one of them in this pic, but there are several in the area to choose from). There are two standard plugs per outlet. I brought my 2 USB-port charger, so we were able to plug two phones into one outlet, thus saving space. Plus, in my opinion, the bathrooms in this area are the best in the park. By far the cleanest with the best theming and privacy.

That's all I have (for now) for Magic Kingdom. I can keep doing these for the other parks, if y'all would like me to. The only parks I can't speak on are the water parks because 1) we always go in the winter, so it's usually too cold to go or Typhoon Lagoon is closed, and 2) we're not really water parks type of people anyway. But, I can give tips on the other three parks (Hollywood Studios, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom).

• To piggy back on @babyodo post, the HS baby care center SUCKS. Seriously, it's like an afterthought compared to the other three. 

Also, for any other areas at Disney (Disney Springs, water parks, ESPN) you can go to guest relations and they will give you a private room. Some of the newbies at the water parks will try and say the locker rooms, but don't take that answer ;)
  • Is the park hopper option worth it? I know at DW the parks are right across from each other so it’s convenient. Is it like that at WDW? 

So DD is doing the boutique, DH is doing the light saber. Any suggesting for something fun I can do? Besides eating 😂 
  • babyodobabyodo member
    edited February 2020
    @babycakesday - IMHO, the park hoppers are only worth it if you're doing more than a 4 day trip. Here's my reasoning: I like to dedicate at least one full day to each park. After so many visits in the past, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom had become 1/2 day parks, but with the addition of Galaxy's Edge at HS and Pandora at AK, I'd say they require at least a full day to be able to see all the sights and ride all the rides. If you're doing more than 4 days, then you can mix up the other days and do split park days. We usually have 1 or 2 split park days, where we start in Epcot and end at HS, or start at HS and end MK, for example. It can take upwards of an hour to travel between parks (from park exit, to the bus/car/boat/monorail, transit time from one park to the other, then to get through security and bag check (if needed) at the next park), so keep that in mind when considering park hopping. We always purchase the Armed Forces Salute tickets, and those automatically come with the park hopper option, but we didn't really start park-hopping until a few trips ago.

For you, I highly recommend booking a mani/pedi, facial, or massage at one of the Senses spas. Your treatment comes with full access to the spa's sauna and pool/jacuzzi, and you get to wear a super plush robe (I loved mine so much that I bought one to use at home), and a complimentary glass of sparkling wine along with their complimentary spa water and snacks. 

• @babycakesday You can always upgrade when you're there, but you can't downgrade. Unless you're at a monorail or boardwalk hotel, I wouldn't. A lot of people say that some parks are 1/2 day but I really don't feel like thats the case anymore, they've added so many attractions lately.
  • My son was diagnosed with strep yesterday and we leave for FL on Saturday.  I’m glad we brought him back to the pediatrician this week, last week they told me it was probably viral even though I told them strep was going around daycare 😭
  • Thank for the advice! We went with the base ticket for now until we get there. I’m getting super excited but still have 5 months to wait. 

@sbeecy Oh no! Hope he gets better by the time you leave for your trip. 
    edited February 2020
    Totally agree with @babyodo on the park hopper Rec! We get them if we are going for a long trip, but in 4 days or less, hopping takes too much time - the parks are not close together like Disneyland, for the most part (exception being MK to Epcot is a monorail ride with a transfer and DHS to Epcot you can walk, boat or skyliner.)
    DD | 7/3/2015 
    DS | 2/20/2018
  • @sbeecy I’m sorry the dr didn’t listen to you! I hope he’s feeling good in time.  Be aware the pollen has been INSANE here, even DH who doesn’t have allergies has been getting post nasal drip. I don’t know if you want to pack some Claritin  for your son just in case  
  • I love Disney!! But I’ve never been to Disney world 😭😭
  • @sbeecy fun! Check out the Voices of Liberty in the American Pavilion if you can. I heard their new BBQ quick service restaurant there is good, too. Watch out for the chilly weather tomorrow!
  • Disneyland will always hold a special place in my heart, though I do love WDW.
    I grew up in New Zealand but our family business was to take special needs adults/kids overseas and so twice a year since I was 11 that of course meant Disneyland (WDW too far away).  As a helper/carer I was extremely lucky to have that experience growing up and it really made me appreciate the world a whole lot more.
    In 2015, I was finally able to visit WDW (on our honeymoon!) and it was just as amazing as I thought it would be. Have been back once since then (last year) as my in-laws also celebrated their honeymoon there so we made it a family trip.
    So much to love - the imagination, the attention to detail, the ability to feel like a kid again, discovering new rides/experiences 😉
    Currently 5w5d pregnant with my first - hopefully we'll be back with a baby in tow next visit 😊