May 2020 Moms

Moms of Multiples - February

Re: Moms of Multiples - February

• That gif is so cute!

So here's the question in my house right now -- how are you all thinking about names? Are your multiples names going to be similar in meaning, style, first letter, anagrams, or completely different?
  • We like traditional boy names.  All 4 of my sons have a president’s name as either the first or middle name, so I guess you could call that a theme.  I wanted them to all have first names that start with different letters so that way things can be labeled by first initial for organizational purposes. Plus being identical triplets means they will match plenty in life so I didn’t want names that were alliterative or cutesy/matching. 

This is kind of silly, but before we found out the gender I had picked three girl names too. The only part of me that was sad to be having boys was because I really loved the girl names I had picked out. But obviously I was just meant to be surrounded by sweet boys. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We're 95% sure of our names. I'm big into twins being individuals, so they don't start with the same letter and they don't sound similar. They are both Irish (because I'm mostly Irish), but that's as twinsy as I'm going to go.
  • We have really just started talking about names this week (I think neither of us wanted to jinx the pregnancy or find out we were on completely different pages, lol). Thankfully our taste isn't *that* different. I have a boy name I really love and he doesn't love it; I'm hoping it will grow on him.

I was originally thinking we were going to go for similar styles and that was the extent of it but then I started reading the Nameberry board and some of those people were so clever -- one that stood out was Alice and Celia, which are anagrams, or Daphne and Laurel which both mean the same thing I think, and I started to wonder if I was under thinking it.

@ruby696 my husband is part Irish and his kids (my steps) have super Irish middle names, Saoirse and Colm. They're really proud of them.
  • I told DH no rhyming and they have to start with different letters, or I'm never going to stand a chance of calling the right kid by the right name. With what we currently have, essentially I picked the first name for one and the middle name for the other, and vice versa for DH. Nothing too paired like anagrams or similar meanings.
  • @louessbee totally on calling my kids the right name! For a while I lived next door to a family with twin boys, Tim and Tom. And besides wondering who would do that to their children, I could never imagine calling those kids by the right name (it was a blended family and the mom lived in Eastern Europe with the boys most of the year, they were only in the US in the summer, so maybe there were constraints around choosing names that worked in multiple languages, idk).

AFM I am happy to report that I successfully have gotten the ball rolling on getting the popcorn off the ceiling in the nursery and making the painting happen this week! It's later than I wanted to be doing this and we have bought absolutely nothing for the babies other than one crib because we've had no place to put anything, because the work wasn't done. MH was insisting that he could do it himself and save the money, which would have been great, but he wasn't doing it and I was getting more and more anxious about it not being done. I feel a lot better with that being settled.
  • Hey, everyone, just wondering if anyone is having issues with growth discordance? Mine were at 10% a month ago and were at 15% today. 15% is still normal, but I'm going to worry about the difference continuing to increase. 
  • mine are still less than 10% difference from each other via the ultrasound estimates. I feel like the size estimates from ultrasounds are so approximate though. I asked my doctor about the falloff from 60th percentile to 40th and she said that as long as they're still on the curve the estimates are just too inaccurate to worry about.

I don't know that much about it but I'm sorry you're worried and I hope the smaller one catches up. 
  • ***Dirty Lurker***
         @ruby I had this on and off with my twins. Often it was one was having a growth spurt and by the next scan the other had caught up some. sometimes they would even switch who was measuring bigger.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• ruby696ruby696 member
    edited February 2020
    Thank you @wabash15! Baby boy is now in the 71st percentile which seems huge - I don't have big babies. FX he just went through a growth spurt and she hasn't caught up yet.

Eta: fix autocorrect 
  • @ruby696 I think the other thing especially with Di/Di twins is they are 2 totally different kiddos who just happen to be sharing the same space. on late US my twins were measuring a bit over a pound a part but in actuality were only about 5 oz a part. That being said my boy twin is now so much bigger than his sister. They don't look like twins any more. I hope your pair continues to grow well. (and yes 4/5 year olds can be helpful with babies. They can at least get you things, watch the baby for a second, sing songs... as long as they are feeling cooperative ;)
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• @wabash15 That's what I keep trying to tell myself. So baby boy is 2lbs, 1oz and baby girl is 1lb, 12oz. So really, they're only 5oz apart, which doesn't seem like that big of a deal. But that somehow puts him in the 71st percentile and her in the 25th percentile. I'm just hoping they get better measurements or baby girl catches up some at my next appt. As long as they're both healthy, I'm happy.

And thank you for confirming the "big kids" will be able to help. Mine are so excited and I want them to feel like they're a part of things. Being able to help will be so exciting to them.
  • @ruby696 I boggled at your percentile measurements until I realized you're a week or two ahead of me, I think? (My bigger one was 40somethingth percentile at 1lb 7oz but that was at 24 1/7 weeks).

@wabash15 that was reassuring to me too -- even though I didn't have this issue at the last scan it's nice to be reminded about growth spurts, and I figure I will probably run into it at some point.
  • @allie456 I'm 25+5, so yeah, a week ahead. How they determine that is so confusing to me. Baby girl was 1lb, 12oz and only in the 25th percentile. I'm hoping the measurements were off and baby boy had a growth spurt.
  • *lurking singleton mom*

@NYTino24 Ahhh, I'm excited to read your updates! I'm sure @ruby696 mentioned it, but we have another triplet mamma here.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @NYTino24 welcome! Love to see more mom's of multiples here.
  • @NYTino24 Triplets!! Welcome and congrats :)

@ruby696 Mine were 3oz apart at my ultrasound today (24+4), and the doc didn't say anything about discordance at all - she was pleased with their sizes and dating. If your doc wasn't worried, I wouldn't be either. Fingers crossed your girl has a growth spurt of her own soon!
  • @ruby696 the triplets are 1 pound 8 ounces, 1 pound 5 ounces, 1 pound 5 ounces. They do not give me percentiles. But they said as long as they are growing together and one does not appear to be struggling that that is more important than the discordance. 

@NYTino24 I’m the other triplet mom (identical boys) and I also have a 2 year old son! Fun coincidence. Congrats and glad to see you here. 
  • *lurking singleton mom* Congratulations @NYTino24!! That’s so exciting (and probably terrifying)!
  • *also a lurking singleton*

@NYTino24 I always love to see you around :)

@jkr2019 I just want to say that I didn't even realize that identical triplets were possible!  Wowza!  How do you plan to keep them separate when they're just little squishes?  I know elsewhere someone had mentioned painting toenails different colors, but I'm so curious because I had never thought about that!
  • @jkr2019 Those seem like amazing weights for triplets! My baby girl was 1lb, 12oz on the 2/3 - and she's only one of two! 
  • Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I’m curious about your car seat and sleeping arrangement plans. Anyone care to share?
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • @NYTino24 Our twins won't be sharing a sleep space at night, but I might let them nap together. I held my older kids for naps (because babies snuggles), but it made the crib transition harder. This time I might let the babies nap in the same crib until they start rolling over. Not sure though. They will definitely sleep apart at night, both for safety reasons and I don't want to deal with the transition to separate cribs/beds later. Regarding car seats, we're lucky to have DS and DD's convertible car seats that will not be expired, so the older two will be in the third row of the Suburban and the little ones will be in the middle row.
  • Singleton lurker

My friend with twins did 2 mini cribs for her two in order to fit them in separate spaces but take up less total space. She did 2 matching Dream on Me mini cribs, and they were in them from birth thru 18 months. Each footprint is smaller than a pack n play. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @NYTino24 both I and my husband co-slept with our singleton babies years ago (we were married to other people then). That seems both much more difficult and potentially unsafe with twins so I was thinking maybe a sidecar sleeper on each side of the adult bed when they're really little. They'll have separate cribs in the same room for naps. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that they won't keep each other awake constantly by sharing a bedroom -- if that happens I guess I will need to move one of the cribs to my home office, which would be no fun.

Car seats -- right now we don't own a car that's big enough for two car seats plus other kids. I need to buy a minivan soon. Not sure brand/style yet.

What are you thinking?
  • We don't really have the space in our bedroom for a crib or pack n play, and their room is five steps from ours, so we're planning on doing separate cribs immediately. For carseats we have an equinox and a volt and we went with the Graco extend2fit seats, so hopefully they'll be able to use them for a while. I liked that the bases have extra safety features.
  • @mokay19 haha we didn’t know identical triplets were possible either! They were spontaneous, so we were in complete shock for about a month. We are doing nail polish to keep them apart. I didn’t want to do anything permanent and I felt like keeping a hospital bracelet on them could be irritating. 

@NYTino24 We have three cribs in our bedroom, our docs told us that since the triplets will be preemie we need to follow all SIDS recommendations and separate sleep settings were a must. It’s a squeeze but doable. We bought a Chrysler Pacifica because it has 4 car seat latches, and we totally love it. It is super comfy and has all the bells and whistles so you don’t feel quite so lame driving a mini van haha. We got the peg perego car seats that go in the triplet stroller thanks to very generous friends of our parents. The stroller is so huge we’re having a special rack mounted to the back of the van because it doesn’t fit inside. There are plenty of good car seat options, but I would make sure you get car seats rated down to 4 pounds. My friend had one rated to 5 pounds and the hospital made her go buy a new one  before they would release her son from the NICU. 

Thanks @ruby696! My singleton son was only 6 pounds at birth (despite a full term birth and gaining 40 pounds that pregnancy)  and so I’m so scared about my triplets being tiny. Can someone be diagnosed with a uterine inferiority complex? If so I have it! Are they expecting some difference in your baby weights due to different genders? In my head it’d be normal for a boy to be bigger? 
  • @jkr2019 I would be nervous too. My older kids were both mid-level lbs, so I feel like there's no way the twins will get more than 6lbs and likely in the 5lb range. No one has said anything about discordance due to sex, but it makes sense. Baby girl has always measured smaller that baby boy. Even at 6 weeks, she measured a day behind him. My 5 year old weighed more at birth than his sister did. So I think as long as they stay on their own growth path, it's okay?
  • NYTino24NYTino24 member
    edited February 2020
    @allie456 I’m thinking Honda Odyssey and I’m undecided on car seats as it depends on what stroller we get to fit the triplets and our son, who will almost be 3. He’s very obedient and I wouldn’t worry about having him walk alongside a stroller, but it might be easier to just put him in with the babies. I currently have one Graco SnugRide 30, but it was cheap and I’m open to 3 new seats. My husband’s truck won’t accommodate 4 passengers in the back, so we will only use the minivan when transporting the triplets. I will be on an extended, if not indefinite, maternity leave. The main issue is my due date is September 18, meaning the latest they will be born is probably like August 1. Assuming they have a NICU stay, even up to their due date, we are heading into colder weather where we live and they will need to be in a covered seat. I have been taking into account that we need a seat that has a low weight rating for preemies. I see very little travel in our future. Haha! 
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • @ruby696 my boy has always been a bit bigger than my girl throughout this pregnancy as well. funny -- when we did the frozen embryo transfers, I *think* the embryo that was a hatching blastocyst was the boy and the one that was the expanded blastocyst was the girl, and I always attributed the fact that he's a bit bigger to his slightly earlier start. but maybe he would have been a bit bigger anyway :)

My current problem is I am outgrowing all my maternity clothes, especially my tops. I do not want to spend several hundred dollars replacing the tops I already bought and will certainly never wear again! I am cranky about this.
  • ruby696ruby696 member
    edited February 2020
    @allie456 SAME. My pants, too. I have full panel maternity pants that are not going to last much longer. They've started to get uncomfortable (the panel now goes to what's left of my belly button), but I really don't want to buy more pants when I only have 12 weeks to go. So annoying.

ETA: add words
  • Yes! All of my pant panels are falling down. I’m just trying to make it in these clothes till I’m out of work and then it’s stretchy pants all day every day
  • @allie456 I found these shirts super cheap on amazing and I bought 8 of them 🤣 there are solids, stripes, and a handful of patterns. Some have decorative buttons on the side, and some don’t. They are super comfy. Although, I’m not sure how nice you need to dress, I’m a nanny; so pretty much anything goes. Let me know if you want the link!
  • @bender29 I do want the link! Very cute. I'm stuck wearing nothing but dresses now.

The painting of the nursery should be done tomorrow thank goodness. What do you all think about this laundry hamper? I think we are going to do a loosely safari theme for the nursery but I don't want to overdo it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-Animal-16-in-W-Grey-Laundry-Hamper-1641800270/205803409?MERCH=REC-_-pip_sem_mobile-_-204336631-_-205803409-_-N
  • @allie456 I personally wouldn't spend that much on a hamper, especially since that's an item that otherwise would grow with your kid and not need to be replaced for years. If it were cheaper, it's cute!
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• @allie456 here’s the link. I did size up one size. The ones that have the buttons I think I could have stuck with true to size 
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075TTDSB2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_cHlrEbV03RB3S

Also, I love the hamper, and if it’s only function were a hamper I’d say no way for that price, but it could be a cute little toy bin, blanket storage, all the things!
  • @bender29 thanks! that shirt looks perfect (although the size chart is kind of confusing). I'm big enough that I should probably just go with a large at this point even though I'm short.

@catem07 @bender29 the hamper is kind of expensive. hm.
  • @allie456 It looks like you can get the same hamper on Amazon for like $20 cheaper (in white) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L5N2AMM/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_i_HHyrEbEPJF4YH

It is super cute, but I also don't think I would spend that much on a hamper.
  • @allie456 That hamper is super cute. I would consider spending that much if you want it for a key accent piece and have minimal other decorations. So if I could justify the cost by not spending much to decorate the rest of the room, i would probably go for it.