April 2020 Moms

Weekly Questions 2/2

What questions do we have?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Weekly Questions 2/2

• What do you do when your wedding band no longer fits? I've seen some women buy silicone or other cheap replacements, which I'm tempted to do, but how do you know what size to get? Any recommendations on brand? Thx!
  • @liligirl87 I got a Kauai brand silicone ring on Amazon for about $10. I just bought a size bigger than my normal ring. It stretches pretty well, so it works. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks @mercury94 ! Silicone is a good idea. Need the stretch these days
  • Does nipple cream expire?  I have a container of Motherlove that was barely used from DD2 who was born 16 months ago.  Is it gross to save it and use it for when this babe comes?  
  • @KFrob I checked my jar of motherlove and it had a weird texture so I tossed it 🤷
  • @KFrob yup it expires. Should have it somewhere on the bottle the date. I had to toss a tube unfortunately 

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020

• Thanks ladies, I'll check out the date and texture!
  • @liligirl87 I recently purchased silicone rings because my wedding ring was tight and irritating my skin. I got a little pack of silicone rings from ThunderFit through Amazon, and they are wonderful. I got 7 rings for $11, and they have a very generous return policy if you don't like them for any reason - fit or otherwise. My ring size pre-pregnancy was a size 7, and I got the 7.5-8 size. They were a tiny bit loose but still stayed on fine, and now, a few weeks later as I've gotten bigger and a bit swollen, they fit perfectly and have enough give to them that I think they'll still fit even if I swell some more. 
  • I know we're supposed to wash all the baby clothes before baby can wear them, but when does one do that? I'm assuming not too far in advance but I also don't know how much energy I'll have to do it late in the game. Thoughts?
  • @liligirl87 I gave up wearing mine halfway through my last pregnancy, and haven't worn them since (I hadn't lost all the baby weight before I got pregnant again, so they haven't fit again yet). 

@korthouse I'd wash some now (you're going to have to bite the bullet sometime before babe arrives), but just a minimum... keep tags on any 'newborn' size you don't wash, just in case they don't fit. And go ahead and wash any hand-me-downs/used clothes. 
  • @korthouse I'm having to stop myself from doing stuff like that now.  I would say about a month out.  It's hard to judge how much to wash too.  You want to be prepared with newborn stuff but not go to crazy in case you have a big baby and want to return clothes.  
  • I’ve washed all my newborn and 0-3 month clothes! Most of them were hand me downs and a few new things. I kind of regret ripping the tags off and washing some of the stuff so soon. Someone recently told me they would do this with clothes that they got for gifts (rip tags and wash immediately) even if she didn’t love them and then just ended up never using them and wish she had left the tags on (better for regifting or donating if they are “brand new”). 
  • I plan on washing all the clothes soon. I'm a big planner, so I like to be extra prepared. Once we get DS in his room and get the dresser set up, I plan to have a day of laundry.

When are others getting car seats set up? This month? Waiting till March?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 That reminds me to get our car seat install checked. Our new seat is so different from DS's and I want to make sure we do it right. We won't actually install it until the week or two before due, but I like to have the professionals look at it. My state (NJ) has a checkpoint in every county I think.
  • We’ll not be doing car seat install until much closer to the due date...probably mid April (I’m due at the end of the month) at the earliest. I’m always paranoid that I’ll install a brand new car seat and get in an accident and then will have to throw it out without ever actually using it. I’ll also keep the car seat itself in the house after it’s installed, so if something did happen, I’d just have to replace the base.
  • We'll probably do the car seat a couple of weeks before.  I'm thinking about taking a day off about a month before our due date to meal prep and wash clothes.  It's really hard right now not to jump the gun!  Especially since we're due at the end of the month, it feels so far behind the rest of the group.

It just occurred to me while on my lunch break that I'll have to call and get my STD claim and FMLA ball rolling soon
  • We’ll install the car seats in mid-March when DH is home for Spring Break unless we see something on the scan next week that makes us think she’s going to come early. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Probably won’t do the car seat until after baby is born...we will move DS to the backseat next month so we can make sure he likes it and we get the hang of that setup but I don’t want my other two messing with the car seat? Or maybe just install the base and mirror and keep the car seat packed away until we need it. 

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020

• We’re thinking of a mid March car seat install (just the base, we’ll leave the actual seat inside til like a week or days before) unless something happens that indicates she’s going to come early.
  • So basically exactly what @mercury94 said 😂
  • With our first, DH was like, we'll just have a family member (his step dad) install it when they visit the hospital. Hell no! You think I'm gonna trust anyone but me to install that thing? You're bonkers. The guy couldn't even install his windshield wipers.
  • @korthouse we got slack last night at our birth class for not having washed anything yet but I prefer freshly washed clothes myself so I figured I would do it closer to 34 weeks.  We also have no furniture yet 😂 oops! 

We've already installed the isofix base in my car because I never have passengers! 🤷
  • @nicoleyolee I prefer freshly cleaned clothes too. We still haven't figured out where/how we're storing baby's clothes because we're in a one-bedroom with no room for an extra dresser so I guess I should figure that out before trying to wash everything! We don't have our crib yet because my in-laws are gifting us one so we're on their timeline for that. Hoping they order it soon though because I don't want to be building it too close to baby time.Only furniture we do have is our nursing glider, which has become my best friend (so cozy).
  • @korthouse Do you have space under your bed for those plastic bins? One size of baby clothes could fit in one of your drawers, and then the rest could go under for later?
  • Only semi related to baby since they claim to be more natural, but has anyone tried this Madison Reed hair coloring?  I love love love my hair colorist but even with her "we're sort of friends" discount it costs a ton and I don't think me getting my hair highlighted is in the budge anymore.  I'm dying to not feel like slob anymore more since the last time I went was in May!    
  • @korthouse we are also in a one bedroom and trying to make the most of space. We haven’t bought anything except stroller (bc sale!) just because I don’t want to have it feel crowded too soon. I’m planning on keeping the clothing inventory as minimal as possible and like @babybison said store the sizes that baby isn’t using under the bed or high part of the closet that no one uses. We are lucky to have a washer/dryer so I’m hoping I can get away with having a little less quantity of items and just get in habit of doing frequent laundry. 
  • @KFrob I’ve heard HORRIBLE things about Madison Reed. I know three people who’ve tried it and all say it left their hair in the worst condition. I haven’t tried it though so take that with a grain of salt. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 
  • @literatureandink noooooooooooo! Even the reviews online are all over the place.  I think I'm going to steer clear 
  • @kfrob I hate to be the bearer of bad newssss
  • @literatureandink don't think of it as the bearer of bad news, think of it as preventing a disaster when pregnancy hormones already have emotions running high!  
  • @babybison We do have some of those plastic bins now and I'm thinking if whatever crib we get has a bit of room under maybe we can do the same there. It's like a game of tetris where it's about how to make everything fit while also not driving ourselves crazy 😂
  • Since some of us are getting extra monitoring now, any interest in a high risk check in?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was told say my appt yesterday that my cervix is short and put on bed rest at least until my next appt on March 7.   Anyone have experience with this? How to survive bed rest as a super active person? 😂 And any other tips to keep the baby in? 
  • @nicoleyolee Oh noooo. Maybe use now to read any books for pleasure you've been curious about or take up an easy in-bed hobby like knitting that keeps your hands active at least.
  • @nicoleyolee oh no the dreaded bedrest!! Coloring, journaling, puzzles, books, binge watching an entire series, knitting/crocheting... I hope it’s not too horrendous and baby stays put!!!