July 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight Series: Breast Pumps and Accessories

The Product Spotlight Series continues! Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. If you discover something new or are new to the board, you're welcome to comment on threads like these throughout your time here, not just when it's their week in the spotlight. FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format--or none of them. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome! This week it's... Breast Pumps and Accessories!

S(+)TMs: Give us the pros and cons of what you have, or ask about what you want. What brand(s) have you used? Which one is best and why? Are you dreaming of any that are on the market now? Battery powered or outlet? Open or closed system? What are the best accessories? How did you go about getting one through your insurance?

FTMs: What brands are you interested in? What questions do you have?

***NOTE- I cannot be trusted to remember to post these on Fridays so they're moving to Mondays. Hope everyone's okay with that! I'm going to post this one now b/c I missed last week's Friday post and then also post, what should have been, this Friday's post to get us totally caught up. Sorry for any confusion this may cause***

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Breast Pumps and Accessories

• Options
    My pump and I were BFFs for like 6 months of EPing with DS.  I had the Medela Pump In Style that was free through my insurance.  This link is from the website I used -- https://www.edgepark.com/breast-pumps/breast-pumps-and-supplies/breast-pumps-/medela-pump-in-style-advanced-starter-set/p/ml101035077  I had no issues with it at all.  I did have to get some bigger flanges for comfort and a cord to plug it in in my car, but otherwise it was just fine.

My doctor wrote me a prescription for a breast pump and I think I had to scan it into the edgepark website to get the pump sent to me. 

I have heard great things about the Spectra model, but at this point I have SO many medela accessories, I'll probably just get another one of those.  I look forward to being able to leave one upstairs/downstairs or at work/at home.  I dragged that dang thing everywhere!  

Also Protip:  You don't have to wash the parts EVERY time you pump.  I would just put mine in a ziploc and put them in the fridge between uses and wash at the end of the day.  This stops you from feeling totally crazy if you are pumping a lot. :)
  • Options
    The only pump/accessory I can recommend is a Haaka. I didn't love my pump ( a Medela Swing), but I didn't use it much so I have no advice to offer on that. But someone recommended the Haaka to me and I friggin loved that thing. Recommend it to everyone. Here's a link for one:

Some people don't super love them, but for like $12 I recommend trying it out.

I used it for several months on the opposite breast while nursing, and ended up building a small stash, plus I find it helped with the mess in the beginning. Then I kept using it with my pump (because my pump was a single) pretty much until I finished breastfeeding. Mine accidentally got thrown out (with a bunch of my other pump parts) after a road trip weekend, I will 100% be replacing it. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Pumps
    • Medela PISA - I used this to EP for 9ish months and it was free through my insurance. I purchased a battery pack and plug adapter for the car for mobile pumping. It worked well for me and I feel like most people end up getting this or the Spectra. 
    • Medela Manual pump- I recommend getting a manual pump as well. They're pretty cheap, easy to take with you and good in a pinch. I also used it to switch things up a bit. I felt like this pump helped me increase supply for a while.
    • Haaka- I didn't have one with DD but it comes highly recommended if you're nursing by lots of mamas I know so I'll have one this time. You use it to catch milk on the opposite side from the one you're nursing on. My friend catches an entire oz with each feed and her new LO is 1mo. That a LOT to lose into a nursing pad! Especially if you aren't making enough.
    • Willow - take a look at it... I didn't know about it with DD, but will have one this go round. My friend pumped in the car when we were OTW to the beach and I couldn't even hear the pump over the sounds of the road. She put the inserts in her bra and that was it. My mind was blown!
    • Hospital Grade Pumps- I'm not sure if this is a thing, but, if by some chance, your insurance covers this, I highly recommend getting it and just buying a more portable option out of pocket. I swear, I had SO much more output when I used the hospital grade Medela at the LC's office and when DD was admitted to the hospital at 3mo. If they weren't a gazillion dollars, I'd totally pay out of pocket for one. They're amazing.
    Accessories
    • Flanges- most people (I think it's most, anyway) will not use the size that comes with the pump. I needed to size up. It's totally normal and if you find there's any rubbing or your output isn't great, try changing flange sizes.
    • Battery packs and car chargers- I highly recommend getting one of these. Every time I tried to go to the store with DD in the very beginning, it turned into a shit show and I was out longer than I needed to be. Having this meant I could pump in the car and still get my errand done.
    • Pump Membranes (I called them flappers :D ) - just wanted to give a tip that you'll hopefully remember later... change these often. If you find that you've been pumping and your supply drops, you may need to change the membrane.
    • Nipple Cream- use this to lube up the flanges before pumping. It'll help with comfort and is completely safe to use. I liked the Medela cream way better than the Lansinoh because the Lansinoh was too thick and needed to be warmed up between your fingers before it was easily spreadable.... A big part of this preference, for me, was also that the Lansinoh being so thick was really painful on already sore nipples. Having easy to spread cream was important for me.
  • Options
    Wow you ladies are already killing it with the recs so I'll just piggyback.

I also got the Medela PISA through insurance for free (I paid a small upgrade fee for the backpack carrier which was great since it contained the pump and the cooler easily and had space for other shit like flanges, power cord, nipple cream, pumping bra, etc). Maybe a month or so after going back to work I decided to get a Spectra S2 so that I had one for home and one for work since I was pumping every night before bed, and sometimes would at other times to boost my supply. I found I got a slightly better output from the Spectra, but not enough to make me really prefer one over the other. Spectra is definitely quieter than the PISA.

YES to the hakaa - as @blaf322 and @mrsdrez said, it's helpful in those early weeks/months when you leak from the non-nursing side like crazy and if you aren't capturing it in something, it's just going into the nursing pad.

And agree with @blaf322 that if you're going to be pumping at work or ever on the go, the battery pack and car adapter are a must. AND yes it's good to have a manual pump. I think I have the medela one and the times I had to use it it was good.

If you plan to breastfeed and/or pump, it's good to invest in a good hands-free bra. The basic one is the Simple Wishes one you can order on amazon (I have two - one for work, one for home, because you never want to set up and realize you forgot your bra and have to hold the damn flanges on your boobs the whole time). The Kindred Bravely all in one nursing/pumping bra gets rave reviews so I may invest in that. Their stuff is not cheap but sometimes it's nice to treat yo self to something good quality and soft and comfy.
  • Options
    @meanjellybean ah... yes! The pumping bra is crucial! I think I got the medela one at first and it was horribly uncomfortable so I got something else.... but I could be remembering the brand incorrectly. If you get the Kindred Braverly one, LMK how you like it.
  • Options
    I just got the pump that came free with insurance, so never thought too hard about this one. But I will say, unless you love handwashing stuff, buy extra pump parts! Normally I’m anti-buying extra stuff, but this is one area where I just don’t give a crap… I’m not getting up every morning and handwashing 1 million parts.

also, I had a pumping bra and hated it. I figured out I could just rest the pump in my normal bra and it worked just fine, although I haven’t heard of it working for most people, I think it’s worth giving a try if you also hate the pumping bra.
  • Options
    kc0711kc0711 member
    edited January 2020
    Like everyone else I have the PISA. I never had any issues with it. Medela recently released a new flange that is oval shaped and has a silicone ring around the edges for comfort- highly recommend. It was much more comfortable that the traditional circle flanges. I used a reusable wet bag at work and dropped all my pump parts in and put them in the fridge and then straight into the dishwasher when I get home. The only parts I washed by hand were the little disc/flapper things. I HATE washing pump parts. I loved having a car charger and pumped on the way into work for months, and also when on vacation if needed. I’d like the try the spectra next time, but I have so many Medela parts it might not make sense to switch. 
    Yes to a hand pump, I absolutely love my Medela one. I used that thing so much, it was a life saver. 
    @blaf322 @meanjellybean I have the KB bra. It is super thick, but I did wear it every day to work for months. Definitely not the most comfortable bra, but the usefulness of it outweighed the comfort factor for me.  I wish it came in bra sizes not s/m/l because I think it would be more comfortable if I had been able to get a better fit. I have a small band/large cup size and that doesn’t work too well with their non-bra sized items. But if you have a more average band to cup, I think it would be fine. 
  • Options
    DD1 I had the medela freestyle. It was wicked small and is battery charged, so I could clip it on to my pants and go about the house. 

DD2 I got the medela sonata. It was partially covered by insurance but I had to pay a little extra. It’s modeled after their hospital grade pump, so had preprogrammed cycles. It also is battery charged, which was great and I could easily pump in the car. It also is Bluetooth connected, so an app saved my pump times and I just inputted the amount. 

I also recommend the haaka! I would easily get an extra ounce or two. Just a heads up though because it suctions on to you it can increase your supply because it is considered a pump. They have other ones that simply catch let down and don’t suction.

Also, when you’re in the hospital if you mention you want to pump they may give you a handheld pump. I had to pump with DD2 right away and they gave me one to take home 
  • Options
    @kc0711 thanks for the KB review! That's actually really good to know. I have the opposite issue as you (broader torso, smaller boobs) so the generic s/m/l sizes prob won't work well for me either. I'd prob get the medium and then have huge caps in the cups. Womp womp. Well good thing I already have a bunch of pumping/nursing shit left over from DD.
  • Options
    @NinnyJean the haaka only suctions if you squeeze it before putting it on (so it's suctioned on). If you peel back the opening and then let it "stick" on that way, it, apparently, just catches the extra. This isn't my personal experience, but what my friend just told me the other day based on her experience.
  • Options
    @blaf322 yeah I was going to say I actually could never really get the hakaa to stay suctioned so I would just hunch over while nursing DD so it stuck to the other boob and the bottom was propped by her leg or whatever... pretty precarious but it worked lol
  • Options
    I only pumped with DD for a few weeks, and mostly with a hospital rental pump, so I don't have much to say other than +1 for the haakaa. That was a lifesaver for my leaky boobs.

Does anyone know anything about this pump? It's new-ish, so I doubt anyone has any personal experience, but it has me intrigued. My sister actually has it but hasn't used it much yet to really have an opinion. Anyone have friends who have used it? Link and pic in spoiler.

• Options
    blaf322blaf322 member
    edited January 2020
    I don't know about the one you linked @stlbuckeye132 , but it did make me think of this one that my friend SWEARS by. She used a PISA when we had our kids in 2016 and it was fine, tried the Spectra with her twins (now 7mo) and hated it, and said this Baby Bella pump is amazing and the whole reason she's made it this long with pumping for her twins. Figured I'd share! She's insisting on sending it to me when she sends me her Spectra b/c she and I basically text all day every day on ML with our 2016 babies and she's certain I'm going to love it too lol
    Baby Bella Pump
  • Options
    @blaf322 @stlbuckeye132 I've heard good things about the baby bella pump too. One of my best friends had her second in October and she swears by it this time.
  • Options
    I work part-time, so my pumping use is also just part-time. I've used three different pumps:

Hygeia Q - really liked this one, got it free through my insurance. It had slightly fewer features than the Enjoye, which I think is the only one available now.
      Pros: separate suction strength and speed and 100% customizable (unlike Spectra who locks out one of their settings for "massage mode") - biggest pro IMO; duckbill valves instead of the flimsy, easy to lose membranes; Medela parts will work with it; closed system so milk can't get anywhere inside and can "safely" be passed on to someone else (I don't know how often this is actually an issue with non-closed system pumps, but it's nice to know); the Enjoye is cordless but my Q wasn't so I don't know how well it does.
      Cons: Hygeia parts aren't in stores, so you have to order them if you need to replace something (or swap out with Medela parts); not all bottles are compatible - I only ever pumped into the Hygeia bottles then froze the milk or transferred maybe 1 bottle's worth into a "drinking" bottle, but depending on your style it might matter

Spectra S2 - also really liked this one
      Pros: quiet; separate suction strength and speed; duckbill valves
      Cons: not cordless if that matters to you; some people don't like the "massage" feature that's supposed to help with letdown

Medela manual pump - nice to have on hand if I forgot to bring my pump to/from work. I kept the manual pump  at the opposite place from where I forgot it sometimes (I cannot for the life of me remember if that was home or work). Also good if I just needed to pump one side or just didn't feel like setting up the electric pump. Also really handy if you're going out/away and you don't want to bring an electric pump for some reason. I used it quite a bit with DD2 because later on (maybe after the first year) I'd only need to pump one side before bed on work days and it wasn't worth dealing with the whole big contraption

Accessories and/or tips:

PUMPIN PALS FLANGES - these were way more comfortable than the basic flanges that came with the pumps. With the Hygeia, it said they weren't compatible but I just yanked the Hygeia ones out of the adaptor part and these fit in perfectly. With the Spectra, they needed an extra adaptor thing from Pumpin Pals and I never bothered to get it and ended up not using them except with the manual pump. I do prefer them strongly over the regular flanges.

Pumping bra - get one if you're ever going to pump both sides at once. It's not any fun to try to hold everything in place and get the machine going and get things adjusted and not spill any of the milk when you're done.

Duckbill valves - you can buy these and use them with Medela pumps. They're easier to wash than the little membranes that are standard, and they're easier to use, last longer, and are way harder to lose.

+1 to just rinsing and putting parts in the fridge between uses, but as a side note, that's officially NOT recommended by the AAP or some other big organization. If you pump a lot, it might also be helpful to get multiple sets of parts if you can.
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • Options
    Another accessory recommendation, medela makes quick clean wipes. They were a life saver to keep in my pump bag for easy cleaning. They also make a soap that you just put in water, throw your pump parts in, and let them soak. Then you just rinse them off and you’re good to go! 
  • Options
    YES @NinnyJean those quick clean wipes are so great! They were part of my regular set up/break down routine, how did I forget them?? And even now I still use them to wipe down DD's high chair tray and seat.
  • Options
    LOOOOOVE the quick clean wipes! I had them in my pump bag at work and I still keep some in the diaper bag. I used them a lot when we first started feeding DD at restaurants and I cared about germs, not so much anymore!
  • Options
    Has anyone used the willow or the Elvie? I will be on rotations and not able to really stop to pump so I want something I can pop in my bra and go but I’m pretty busty and wonder if anyone has any experience. I know the elvie is pretty new so no one might have used it yet. 
  • Options
    @beckylookatherbump I haven’t personally but I know someone who just got the willow and they said it’s really convenient! It’s a little lumpy and awkward looking, so you can tell she’s wearing something but she said she can move about and feels comfortable walking around with it
  • Options
    @NinnyJean I’ll being Wearing my white coat over it so I wasn’t too worried about that so much as I’m worried about the noise and it actually staying in my bra. 
  • Options
    blaf322blaf322 member
    edited February 2020
    @beckylookatherbump I mentioned it somewhere, maybe the STM+ recs thread, but my friend used her willow while we were driving to the beach together and I couldn’t hear it at all. 

There are willow pump groups on FB so you could prob look through videos to see if you can hear... that said, from what I’ve heard, it’ll be a little louder when it first starts up but once it’s going, it’s super quiet. 

and it’ll definitely stay in your bra.

I have my friend’s old one and can give you feedback on it once I’m pumping, if you still need it