July 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight Series: Strollers

Subbing in for @blaf322 today because I'm avoiding work and it's quiet here today ๐Ÿ˜†

Our Product Spotlight Series continues! Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. If you discover something new or are new to the board, you're welcome to comment on threads like these throughout your time here, not just when it's their week in the spotlight.

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format--or none of them. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome! This week we're talking....ย Strollers!

For S+TMs:
  • Favorite stroller (brand &/or type)
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a stroller you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Additional thoughts on strollers:
For FTMs:
  • Stroller(s) you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:
Big thanks to all who participate in these threads!

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Strollers

• Options
    Our stroller compatible with the infant seat:ย  We bought the Chicco Keyfit travel system.ย  We really liked it and would buy it again.ย  The stroller is big and comfy and we still use it for DS all the time for walks around the neighborhood and such.ย  It does take up a lot of space, so for traveling and when we are short on space we have the umbrella stroller below.ย ย 
    https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/chicco-reg-cortina-reg-cx-keyfit-reg-30-travel-system-in-iron-trade/3292000?keyword=chicco-keyfit-30-travel-system

Our Umbrella Stroller:ย  Summer Infant Lite.ย  We love this and use it a lot on vacations etc.ย  We have used it in the airport etc. and it has worked great.ย ย 
    https://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Lite-Convenience-Stroller/dp/B00O20OCVC/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=umbrella+stroller&qid=1579273820&sr=8-3
  • Options
    With our first we got a graco car seat/stroller combo. It worked ok but it can be a little hard to push at times, especially if the terrain is bumpy at all.ย 

When we had our second I was able to find a double Bob stroller on Facebook marketplace and I love it! Itโ€™s older but still works great. The thing can go through anything and is pretty light
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love our Bob. If youโ€™re active or think youโ€™re going to want to run, itโ€™s a lifesaver. Itโ€™s pretty expensive (I think we got ours for $500 on Black Friday) but worth every penny. If someone is selling a used one that looks in good condition, do it.ย 

Iโ€™ve run a 10 miler and multiple trail 5ks, we hike with it and itโ€™s gone to Disney multiple times with us. I donโ€™t have enough amazing things to say about itย 

• Options
    I've posted before in other threads about my stroller hunt.ย  I'm currently looking around at stores to try a suggested stroller Pockit Lightweight.ย  I have a personal medical challenge that will impact the stroller choice.ย  My neck is fused at 3 levels.ย  The overall weight and how easy it is to break down is key.ย  My vehicle is a hybrid and so the trunk is not amazing but is adequate.

I'm still debating w/ spouse if she wants a frame that holds the car seat as well.ย  I've been using my trips to resale shops and one so far to BuyBabyBuy to physically hold and see how various recommended models feel.

• Options
    @bluguitarhannah also check out the Zoe strollers if you're looking for lightweight. I have the Zoe double and it is seriously lighter than most singles I've used, so I bet the single is super light. And our double can lie flat to accommodate an infant but can also hold up to 50 pounds so my 3 year old can still use it comfortably. They don't hold an infant carseat though.ย 
  • Options
    We wanted something a bit more โ€œruggedโ€ for our outdoorsy lifestyle so we also went with a Bob. It was great and we never had any issues with taking it out in any terrain! A bit pricy but worth the investment for sure.

In the beginning I really wanted an uppababy since I knew weโ€™d eventually want 2 kids, but DS is almost 3 now and has proven to be a cross country runner in training, so keeping our single bob should work out fine.ย 

• Options
    @bluguitarhannah

we have the GB Pockit lightweight stroller and we LOVE it, however itโ€™s great for 12m+ IMO, DS hated it at 9mo when we got it

• Options
    We have a Graco Modes stroller which was part of a travel system. I love that it was a travel system, super handy. The seat came out, so we were able to use just the frame with the infant carrier for several months. I do wish I would have gotten a jogger stroller travel system (not for jogging purposes), but I just found the tires on the basic stroller didn't handle dirt roads well, which was a bummer for at camp, and it didn't handle winter sidewalks well, which was a bummer for the 7 months of winter which we endure.ย 
    I'm looking for recommendations for a double stroller! My aunt has mentioned that she would have one for us, but that was before she knew we were expecting so I'm not sure how soon she'll be willing to part with it.ย 
  • Options
    We got the Uppababy Vista before DD was born. Like the Bob, it's pretty pricey (I got mine from BBB on a Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale, I forget which but I remember seeing the price reduction and thought it must be a mistake so I bought it right away without asking any questions lol). We love it. We got the Mesa infant car seat which clicks right into the top, and DD was in that seat until she was like 11 months. I know you can buy an adapter to click in other kinds of infant seats, and Uppa Baby also sells infant inserts for the regular seat. It is not light, but I don't find it bulky either. You do need two hands to set it up, but I feel like that's probably pretty typical of non-umbrella strollers where you have to put two pieces together. It is also SO durable. I decided on it after reading reviews about how well it handles shitty sidewalks, and where we live it's an older area of a small city and the sidewalks are pretty bad in places. The Vista just takes the hits and keeps on going lol. No real complaints other than it's expensive and you need two hands to set it up. I'm now going to be looking at what kind of attachment I want to get to convert it for two (either the kickboard or the second attachment for the infant seat to go up top).

Oh! It also comes with a super cozy bassinet attachment so we got a stand for that and would use it to put DD down sometimes. We never used the bassinet attachment on the stroller itself, but it was nice to have. Maybe this baby will actually sleep in it, unlike DD...
  • Options
    We got the Chico keyfit stroller system for our first. Itโ€™s pretty bulky and by the time we used it with DD2, it was not a smooth ride at all. Not replacing it at this point, but it kind of sucks.ย 

We we also have an umbrella stroller which I love in theory, but Iโ€™m 5โ€™10โ€ and have to hunch over a little to use it, so maybe I should see if there are better options for that kind of thing.ย 

Then last year we sprung sprung for a Thule double stroller which is great for two kids and we can run with it, but isnโ€™t easy to get in and out of the car. Great for heading down to the park - Iโ€™m going to get the car seat attachment so I can use it for the newborn once they get here. I also hear that these and Bobs have great resale value, which is why we were willing to get one - hopefully weโ€™ll be able to get lost of the money back eventually.ย 
  • Options
    Thanks @mehugg ! I'm the WORST at remembering these.

I'll come back later for some recs :smile:
  • Options
    @blaf322 I'm apparently terrible at starting threads and somehow managed to double post this?? Honestly how did I even do that? Here I was defending the app in yesterday's UO thread lol
  • Options
    We also have the Graco stroller and car seat combo (well just the stroller now some the car seat expired). I really liked the single stroller with 2 as well. I usually wore DD2 and put DD1 in the stroller. Sheโ€™s 5 and would still rather sit in the stroller than walk. We did get a sit and stand stroller though after DD2 was born and I like the versatility with seating options but itโ€™s so big and was hard to get into the trunk. We use our umbrella strollers a lot now but with a 3rd Iโ€™m not sure what we will do yet.ย 

• Options
    I have a few, so here goes. Apparently I have a baby gear hoarding problem if youโ€™ve read the baby carriers thread as well...
    I have purchased a city select and a bob, and was given a city mini GT and joovy groove.ย 
    City select- this was our original stroller purchase and I really like it. We got it with the intention that our family would be growing and we would have multiple in a stroller at a time. The city select can go from a single to a triple with accessories, so the cost of it made sense knowing it would last us for so long. I used it with an adapter for our fit2 car seat and now use the seat. It is the stroller that stays in my car for me to use when we are out and about. Pros- super easy to push, very adjustable, and the under basket is huge. Cons- it does not fold up small, it takes up my whole trunk, it does not lay flat, the shade canopy is not the biggest.
    Bob- I absolutely LOVE our Bob and wish I had it sooner. It has the smoothest ride, is so easy to push, lays all the way flat, and has an amazing canopy that covers baby completely. I did not use it with an infant car seat so canโ€™t speak to that. Cons- it is gigantic, it lives in our garage because we use it every day when we walk the dog.ย 
    City mini GT- I was given an older model and it is a nice stroller. The ride is very smooth, it lays flat, and folds smaller than the Bob for a jogger type stroller. Had I not gotten the Bob, Iโ€™d probably still be using it, but I do prefer the Bob.ย 
    Joovy groove- I HATE this stroller. A friend gave it to us to use for travel and I cannot stand it. It has two handles instead of a bar to push which vibrate when you are on concrete and make my hands itch. I used it a few times and have not touched it since. I wanted it to work because it has a large canopy, folds very small, and can lay flat. But I canโ€™t get past how uncomfortable it is to push.ย 
  • Options
    We got the travel system for our Britax car seat. I really liked that for when she was in the bucket seat.

Then for once she's out of that one, I got this one on sale for dirt cheap and really like it. It's so much easier to get in and out of the car, for me, and works well when we go to vineyards and festivals and such where we end up having to walk through grass/fieldsย https://www.walmart.com/ip/Baby-Trend-Expedition-Jogging-Stroller-Bubble-Gum/34426675?selected=true

We got a Pockit stroller for travel because it was on sale for half off or something on Prime day. TBH, if I had tried it before/knew how I'd feel about it now, I'd recommend saving your money and just getting a cheapy umbrella stroller. This isn't worth the money, to me.ย https://www.amazon.com/gb-616230013-Pockit-Lightweight-Stroller/dp/B01DQ2B8UY/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=pocket+stroller&qid=1579542028&sr=8-1
  • Options
    @JessDG I was looking at the Chicco system. I really don't want to have a full stroller and car seat. I just want a stroller frame I can pop the car seat into. Does that frame not collapse?
  • Options
    I got a Baby Jogger City Mini with my first 6 years ago, and I will definitely be using it again. My favorite feature is that I can close it with one hand while holding the baby in my other hand. You just pull a handle thatโ€™s in the seat and it folds right in half. I didnโ€™t try getting a car seat attachment for it so Iโ€™m not sure how it is with a car seat on it. In the first 3ish months I used a chicco car seat with the chicco frame stroller that it sits in and that was perfect because itโ€™s small and light and quick to set up and not bulky. Once the baby could go in the regular stroller (around 3 months when reclined) I switched to the City Mini and loved it.ย 
  • Options
    @meri-mac
    There is probably a frame/not a stroller that is compatible with the Chicco seat.ย  The one that comes with the travel system collapses, but not much.ย  We have big trunks so it wasn't a big deal for us, but it is kind of bulky if you have a smaller car.ย  I'll try to take a picture of it folded up when I get home for you!
  • Options
    @meri-mac I had just the frame stroller for the Chicco newborn seat. It collapses, this is it:ย https://www.amazon.com/Chicco-KeyFit-Caddy-Frame-Stroller/dp/B005JDOYF0

I also used the Baby Jogger City Mini GT for an outdoor stroller. It's a super smooth ride, it folds up easily, is a dream to push, and has a giant sun shade. The only thing I don't love about it is the storage basket below is small compared to others. It looks like the GT2 is the latest and greatest (link below). The GT version is just the City Mini w/ all-terrain tires. The tires make it a bit heavier, but I still really, really like it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Jogger-City-Mini-Stroller/dp/B07PMSS86F/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=baby+jogger+city+mini+gt&qid=1579622201&s=baby-products&sr=1-5
  • Options
    @JessDG & @stlbuckeye132 Thanks so much ladies!!
  • Options
    • Stroller(s) you're interested in: Graco Modes Nest DLX Travel System
    • Link/picture: in spoiler
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): 449.99ย 
    • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?: I haven't found ANY reviews on this stroller/car seat so not sure how well it holds up. The only reason we want to go with this one (and please don't laugh.. lol) is that the basket beneath is large enough to hold our furbaby. The adjustable seat height is also beneficial for this. We want to be able to go on long walks, and our pup has a deformed paw so he can't walk long distances.. so we want to be able to bring him with :)ย 
  • Options
    @shaqn0sis I had to laugh a little... that said, I totally noticed the large space underneath! You could hold all the stuffs while out and about! I like it!
  • Options
    @blaf322 hehe it is a little funny :D but he loves being outside, so we don't want to leave him behind if we go! The other strollers that we looked at in person had a big basket, but the seat sat so low that it wouldn't give enough 'headspace' for him.ย 
  • Options
    @shaqn0sis do you have a dog or cat? Or something else?
  • Options
    @blaf322 dog! :) he's about 19 lbs. so not too big/smallย 
  • Options
    mrsdrezmrsdrez member
    edited January 2020
    @shaqn0sis We had a very similar stroller (not the exact one but it was a Modes something or other). Overall it was a good stroller.. folds up super easy with one hand, doesn't take up a ton of space when folded, ours had the option to remove the seat and use it just as the frame with the infant seat (which I love loved), and we got it super on sale. Plus you can fit tons of stuff underneathย  ;) lol. My only problem with it was the plastic wheels. I live where it's winter for half the year (so sidewalks are always bumpy), and then spend much of the summer at camp which has a dirt road, and the wheels did not handle uneven terrain well, like at all.ย 

• Options
    @mrsdrez I also live where it is winter for half of the year haha. I'm not sure I'll be out and about with the stroller too much during the winter, but good to know about the wheels. We have nice paved sidewalks in our neighborhood so I'm thinking plastic should be ok?ย 
  • Options
    @shaqn0sis you should be ok. I mean in the end it was probably still the right stroller for us, I looked into buying a jogger type stroller second hand, but we drive a Honda Civic hatchback and I'm pretty sure a bigger stroller would have taken up the whole space (don't ask me what I'll be doing with a double stroller lol).ย 
  • Options
    I'm looking at the City Select Double with a carseat attachment ffor my 15 month old and the new baby. I like the multiple configurations and that i can easily remove a seat if I only have my toddler with me (or if I have both but just want to baby wear the baby). I don't like that it's not a single hand fold, but I can get past that. I'll definitely be buying a double stroller on FB marketplace or something since I just don't want to spent full price on it.

Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10.13.18
    baby #2 due: 7.14.20

• Options
    Also, I have the chicco travel system and loved it with my first! I loved the car seat clicking right in at the beginning, and now, over a year later, we still use it almost daily. I like that I can fold it with one hand, she's comfortable in it, and the shade is large. I don't like that the tray is kind of far away from the child and that the basket is a tad small (for my liking). But those were small issues and I loved it overall!

Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10.13.18
    baby #2 due: 7.14.20

• Options
    I know Iโ€™m a little late to this thread, but hoping someone still reads this!
    Iโ€™m thinking about a Thule Cougar (it doubles as a bike trailer, and can take an attachment for skis so I can still be active with baby as they grow). I also get a pretty good prodeal on Thule products since I work at a bike shop. Has anyone had experience with this type of stroller? It seems low to the ground and might not be super convenient when baby isnโ€™t walking yet, so Iโ€™m curious to know if people have used one.