February 2020 Moms

Turning Breech Baby 37 Weeks

Hi ladies,

I found out a few days ago that my baby is lying breech. It’s been a hard pill to swallow since I was so dead set on having a natural vaginal birth and this is my first child. My doctor gave me two choices: schedule an ECV to try and turn her manually at 38 weeks or schedule a c-section for 39 weeks. 

After lots of reading and consideration I decided that the ECV didn’t sound like the right option for us due to the risks involved and the fact that it’s only successful 50% of the time. That means I will be calling my doctor to set up the c-section. I’m really nervous about it so I’m hoping that baby girl
will flip before that day comes and we can skip it. 

So my question is: has anyone here been successful on flipping a breech baby at home? I’m trying to do some of the exercises to encourage her to move with no such luck. Would she move slowly over time or would it be a dramatic flip? I would love to hear experiences if anyone in this situation. 

Thank you!
Audrey

Re: Turning Breech Baby 37 Weeks

• No experience with my past 2 deliveries but with this baby my Midwife suggested I try a few techniques from the Spinning Babies website after having trouble deciding if he or she was head down or not. I did what she suggested and this last visit baby was head down. Hope your able to have the birth you desire! 
  • However, my first was sunny side up causing the worst back labor and I used this website along with moves from a much older Midwife to help flip baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi Audrey, this was my same exact situation with #1. The ECV did not work but I was glad I did it, because at least I tried, and I had a planned c-section at 39 weeks. Looking back I wish I had given the baby more time to flip and done more spinning babies and chiropractic care. I had a terrible recovery from my cesarean and beat myself up for having one which contributed to PPD. 

Please no matter what happens be kind to yourself. There is nothing wrong with us for having stubborn breech babies. My daughter now is 3 and is the light of my life. The cesarean versus vaginal birth issue is something that is short in the timeframe of your life with your child. Sometimes it happens because the cord is too short, and we could not have changed it. We were able to breastfeed successfully and my daughter never had any formula, despite having a tongue tie. 

Also know if you do have to have a cesarean you do not have to have one with your second child. This time around I have been seeing a chiropractor since early on and doing my spinning babies and midwife has given me an 80% chance of having a VBAC so hoping to have my all natural birth this time around. 

Best of luck!
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• We are in the same boat 😔 We scheduled an ECV for Feb. 9th. I felt completely defeated. I've been doing some exercises from Spinning Babies, but no luck. I plan to continue trying the exercises until our procedure date. Trying to make an appointment with a chiropractor and acupuncturist this week in hopes of flipping him. Trying to stay focused on the most important thing...he is healthy and we will get him here safely no matter what method! 

Sidenote: My sister had a breech baby that flipped December 22nd. She delivered December 27th (her due date 😊). Don't lose hope

Best wishes!!!!