March 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight Series: Rocking Chairs/Gliders

The Product Spotlight Series continues! Each week we spotlight a new category of product. If you discover something new or are new to the board, you're welcome to comment on threads like these throughout your time here, not just when it's their week in the spotlight. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format--or none of them. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome! This week we're talking.... Rocking Chairs & Gliders (& stuff like that--as a FTM, not really sure what else might fall under this category compared to what we have in the future for the PSS [see spreadsheet below]).

For S+TMs: 

• Any specifics that may differentiate your preferences (height, home size, multiples, etc.):
  • Favorite [glider/rocking chair]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [glider/rocking chair] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a [glider/rocking chair] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on [glider/rocking chair]?:

For FTMs

• [glider/rocking chair] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:
To view the upcoming PSS schedule, based off of S19's, see here: March 2020 PSS Spreadsheet!
Up next week: Formula/Food Stuff

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Rocking Chairs/Gliders

• We live in a single family home with 3 bedrooms.  For both DS1 and DS2, we splurged and got La-Z-Boy glider/recliners for their rooms - one of the few baby purchases we decided to go high-end on.  I've spent SO much time in these chairs with both kids that they have fully gotten their money's worth for me.  These are mainly used for nursing and rocking to sleep, and still even with my 4 year old some nights he wants to cuddle and rock before bed.  Both chairs are still used daily.

I will continue to use DS2's recliner for DS3 once he arrives, and DS1's recliner will likely be moving down into our basement we are about to finish.  DS2's recliner will likely eventually end up in our living room to replace a recliner in there.
    DS1 07/2015
    DS2 10/2017
    DS3 due 03/2020
  • Yes to everything @kailanae said. 

Recommend something comfy and upholstered in a durable fabric and neutral color. Also suggest getting the matching ottoman for comfort. We used ours so much from feeding in the newborn days to rocking in the toddler days. I think we got ours from Wayfair for a good price, just read reviews. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't have much to add here since I didn't use the glider I got much (was gifted one from my grandparents when DD was born)  but I agree with @kailanae and @momoftoddlers, if you're going to get one, high quality and neutral is the way to go.  The one I had was neutral so I could use it in other rooms if I wanted, I just wasn't able to because I lived in a small house at the time and there wasn't room for it other than baby's room... and I preferred to sit and nurse/cuddle  DD out in the living room as opposed to sitting in her room where there was no TV or other people.  :)   It was a lower quality one, though, so the cushions didn't last through my last couple of moves and just the frame is now sitting in my basement  (I still hang on to it, even though it hasn't been used in years.. mostly for sentimental reasons.  I didn't bother taking it out and getting new cushions to use for DS since I knew I didn't use it much with DD.)   
  • We bought this Eddie Bauer glider/ottoman at Target.
    https://www.target.com/p/eddie-bauer-upholstered-wingback-swivel-glider-asphalt/-/A-51463111

I liked the gray, but I also was able to sit in it and try it out at the store, and didn't trust to buy something online when I couldn't test its comfort. It fulfills its purpose, but I do wish we would've just bought a standard recliner that will fit better in a living space in the future. 
    Honestly, we use it more now that DS is older for story time before bed, than I ever did when he was a newborn. We do not plan on buying another one for new baby. We will just move it over to the nursery if we see fit.

Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • I would agree with everyone else. You really just need to pick out what’s best/most comfortable for you! Go try out a bunch. Sit in them. Also decide if you’ll really use them. I think I would have used mine more had it been more comfortable, but it was a nicer ten years ago when I got it (gift from my grandmother when DD was born). They didn’t have all the super comfy lounge-y options back then. I’m also fine sitting on my couch or chair in my living room. So again, personal preference!! 
  • We lived in a 700 sq ft apartment when my son was born, we did not have much room but I'm glad I got a glider because I spent nigh on 10 hours there every day (my son nursed for over an hour at every feed for the first 4 months).

I got a used Dutaillier glider with ottoman on Craigslist for a very reasonable price and it was pretty nice and comfortable. I really liked the height of it because you're often trying to sit down or stand up with a baby in your arms and you can't brace yourself or lean against anything - having a higher seat was great because you can sit down gently and carefully while still hiding the baby. Also the ottoman was great really early on especially because my ankles and feet swelled like crazy right after labor - it freaked me out and I was glad to be able to raise my feet while doing my 10 hrs a day of sitting. 

I sold the glider once we stopped nursing because we had such little room. 

I'm now thinking about what to do for this baby... I do want another chair, but I'm not sure what I want. Maybe something that reclines a little more than the Dutaillier one did, but I definitely still want a seat that is higher up, and a lot of chairs I see are pretty low to the ground. 
  • orbmakerorbmaker member
    edited October 2019
    I ended up nursing in bed or on the couch,  mostly. Then later: anywhere. This time we’re planning to add an ikea wingback chair and ottoman (total $400ish) to a corner in our bedroom so that I’ll have a less sleepy nighttime option. I saw a rocker + ottoman I liked somewhere (kinda modern in style), but it would be like $1600, so nope.
  • Any opinions on rocker vs glider? 
  • @mrsc918 one of my La-Z-Boys is a rocker and one is a glider.  I don't honestly notice much difference between the two - it is pretty subtle.  However if you want to go with one paired with an ottoman, you'd probably want a glider.
    DS1 07/2015
    DS2 10/2017
    DS3 due 03/2020
  • Hope it’s ok to revive this thread.  We just started looking today at BBB at gliders/recliners and I’m lost.  I’d like an upholstered glider that reclines, or one with an ottoman.  Anyone want to share what they chose?  Not sure if we should go to actual furniture stores or roll the dice and order online. 
  • @uno_mas I’d recommend an ottoman. In our nursery we have a glider with an ottoman but in our living room we have a recliner. I’d always get stuck in the recliner unable to get the footrest down without waking DS unless DH was there to help me put it down! With the ottoman I can put my feet up but when I was ready to transfer a sleeping baby I could just put my feet down and it never woke him up. Maybe our recliner just sucks though 🤷🏻‍♀️
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• @varimama thank you so much for
    that feedback. I could see that happening if the lever is on the same side as the arm you are holding the baby with.  That would be totally annoying to get stuck and I’m going to be trying to not fall asleep in the chair all the time lol
  • Looked at quite a few chairs online last night and thinking about the Davinci Ruby Reclining Glider. The pull for the recliner seems easy enough to access but I may also just get the ottoman if the recliner seems annoying to use.  Does anyone have this chair? If so, how do you like it? I read a ton of reviews and it seems like it has a high enough back rest, and decent back support.
  • @uno_mas we just got ours and we love it! We got a glider/recliner, Lennox Capri from babies r us, it’s not the absolute most amazing quality but for $300 CAD online (we picked up in store since shipping was $70) - it was a steal. It’s so insanely comfortable that DH and I fight over it now. I love it because it’s upholsterer, neutral, and wingback, which I wanted. It reclines really far back, the only downside is that it’s hard to retract the recline, you have to push it down with your feet. We will probably stick an ottoman in there with it to glide on because it’s so comfy either way. It’s a beautiful grey/taupe 

This is it:

In our space (trying out a rug in the first picture):

• @dunder_mifflin what a beautiful chair! $300 seem like a great deal for it.  I absolutely love how your nursery is turning out. That spot by the window looks so cozy! 
  • I really like that rug too!
  • @dunder_mifflin Your nursery is SO cute.

My sister gifted me with two rocker recliners-- both from LA Z BOY.  One for the nursery and one for the family room.  I am forever grateful.  They're going to be delivered early February and I cannot wait!  I'm so ready.  I felt like sitting in those was the only time my back hasn't hurt in the last few weeks.