April 2020 Moms

Working & Maternity Leave

@Kathryn0903 asked a really great question today and I thought it would make a helpful standalone thread!

How long is everyone planning on working? Are you working right up until your due date/labor or will you be taking time before the due date? How long is your maternity leave?

Re: Working & Maternity Leave

• I am planning to work until my CS date. I will be taking off the remainder of the school year (7weeks) and when I go back to work next school year, LO will be 4mo old. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I’m planning on working until my due date but only going into the office through the end of March. The last week I intend to wrap up from home. That’s assuming she comes when she’s supposed to and I continue to fit behind the wheel of my car.
  • Loading the player...
  • babyrummombabyrummom member
    edited January 2020
    I plan on working as long as I can to
    maximize maternity leave with the baby! I’m taking 12 weeks off. 
  • Also, with my crazy commute, if it gets to be too much, I might work remotely up to like three weeks before she comes.
  • So, I'll start by saying what I did last pregnancy. Last pregnancy, I had preeclampsia and got induced at 37 wks. Knowing that I was being induced, I worked till 2 days before my induction date.
    This time, I don't know if I'll have to get induced yet, but I'm scared of going into labor naturally. If I were to get induced again, I would probably work till a day or 2 before that. Not knowing, I'll probably be uncomfortable, but work till my due date at least. I'm questioning whether to work past my due date if I'm still pregnant at that point. I'm so nervous about going into labor at work, but both my OB and hospital are less than 10 min away if something happens. 
    I plan to go back to work when the summer semester starts or when baby girl is 6 weeks old. Our daycare requires babies to be 6 weeks or to have a doctor's note if they start at 4 weeks. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My work is a 2-3 hour ride during traffic hours or 1 hr without any traffic so I’m terrified of going into labor at work.
  • I'm planning to work up to my due date, then start my leave if baby girl isn't here yet. I get 6 weeks paid at 100%, then I'm taking an additional 4 weeks of FMLA. I'll go back at 10 weeks. I plan to use the remaining FMLA days to take every other Wednesday off through the end of the year.
  • I’m planning to work every work day until I go into labor or my doctor takes me off work. Last time she told me not to go back to work a week before my due date due to stress and swelling in my feet. The more I work now, the more leave I’m able to take later. I’m planning to stay off until the 3rd week of June (as long as she’s not early enough to make that take more time than I get with FMLA), even if I have to miss a paycheck to do that. DH gets off for the summer the second week of June and will stay home with baby until school starts back in August, so she will be about 4 months before she starts daycare. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • I work on my feet three days a week, so that work I'm capping at the end of March (36 weeks). I don't think I'll physically be able to do it beyond that point! For voice work I'll stop auditioning by that point but any gigs I'm booked for I could probably do until 37 weeks. Since 37 weeks is considered full term I want to fully be off all work and on mat leave by then to be safe. I don't think I'll be going back to the bridal shop after, as much as I love it, but I'll be able to go back to voice work a lot earlier without losing time with baby.
  • Ahhh I don’t know! Still trying to work out what I’m going to do after baby arrives. 

I worked right up until my induction date with my last baby and plan to do the same this
    time. I should have a better idea for induction by March. My commute is about an hour each way and the hospital I’m delivering at is actually closer to my home this time so may work from home more as I get closer. I am also planning on taking 1-2 days off between now and April to prep/relax. 

I’m unsure of my work situation after baby is born. I qualify for 12 weeks but plan to tell them after 6
    weeks (when short term disability finishes) that I can’t come back in the same capacity. I mentally and physically can’t do that commute with 3 kids plus meeting all the additional needs of my 4 yo. I’m hoping to switch to part-time or contract work from home but if not, I’ll either transition to a full SAHM or substitute teaching/online teach as it fits my schedule. 

So much uncertainty in regards to what I will do after baby is born and it is driving me crazy 🤪 😂

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020

• I am hoping to work up until I go into labor, though I have the option of working from home if needed. I'm actually closer to the hospital when I'm in the office, so I don't know if I'll take advantage of the working from home unless doctor recommends. Also doesn't help that my home office is slowly becoming the nursery...

I plan to take 12 weeks, which between STD and time off I have saved will be fully paid (yay!). DH is taking 6 weeks partially paid leave right after baby's born, and then he's going to return and give his 2 weeks notice. He's going to stay at home with baby then when I return. We're going to have a lot of quality time as a full family before I have to go back which is really exciting!
  • Thanks @literatureandink for always asking the best questions. You ask all the questions that pop onto my list which enables my lurking tendencies  ;) I've been wondering how to handle leave as well. I get 4 months so that piece is set, but I don't know whether I want to keep commuting in (about an hour each way on shuttle + subway) until then. DH wants me to wfh the whole month of March (due date 4/2) which I think may be excessive since I will need to train a new hire that starts in Feb.

I was also curious how far everyone is from their birthing hospital. I'm about 30 min without traffic from home and maybe 45 min from work, but during rush hour the NJ turnpike can literally be a parking lot so I'm really nervous having no frame of reference for how long labor takes.
  • @liligirl87 Our hospital is literally down the street from our house. Less than 5 minutes if we don’t hit every light. That makes it 20-30 minutes away from my work depending on traffic. Last time, I had my assistant on standby to take me to the hospital if I went into labor at work and couldn’t drive myself. I’m sure the same will be true this time. I didn’t need it last time as I went to the hospital from home the night after my OB took me off work and DS was born 36ish hours later. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • I worked right until my due dates. DD my last day was Friday-went into labor on Sunday. DS1 my c-section was a Friday and I was at work through that Weds. I will do the same with this baby. I'll take Friday off to make sure I am packed, and I have everything ready since that weekend will be time with DD. 

My work is actually an hr commute from my house, but only 10mins from the hospital, so that helps. My house with no traffic is an hr to the hospital and with traffic can be almost 2!
    What's annoying right now is DH usually only travels 1x every 2mos, and Jan/Feb and March already have 2 trips each, most more than one night. Which puts me wfh to do daycare etc. I hate WFH this much so close to taking leave! My company is chill about it, but still. I told DH he is not allowed to travel anywhere more than 2hrs away the 2weeks before this kid is due. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @liligirl87 - I'm only 20 mins from my hospital, but I live in a major city. I've heard of people being 1.5-3 hours from the hospital. At my recent birthing class they discussed how labor progresses, and it might be that your OB asks you to make your way to the hospital when your contractions are a little further apart compared to other patients to give yourself that time. But from the first signs of labor to actually meeting your baby you will have hours. 
  • @liligirl87 I’m basically in the same boat as you. I get 5 months paid (which I’m sooooo lucky to get) so that piece is all set for me. It’s just the how long do I go in vs work from home vs take off. I kind of want to take a week before due date to not do anything but I also kind of love the range of time off if I work right til her due date and she comes when she’s supposed to (April 6 through spring and summer, go back after Labor Day). That’s the tough piece for me.

Also thanks for thinking I ask great questions but this is actually a @Kathryn0903 special - I just made a post because I’m a post-a-holic lol
  • I'm a SAHM, but last time I took 3 weeks NJ disability before the kid came (we get 4 before your due date), and then 6 weeks NJ disability after, and then 4 weeks FLI after that. My office didn't offer maternity benefits. 

NJ just changed its laws to make state leave benefits SO MUCH BETTER, but I don't think that starts until July so NJ people here are too early anyway. 
  • I’m in Canada, and will take 12 months (we have the option of 18, but 12 was enough last time!).

Last time I worked until a week and a half before my due date, and he came two days early. The last week though, I took a couple of my last extra days off (ones that don’t carry over) and left early most days. 

This time, I’ll probably start leave three weeks before my due date (so off as of mid-March). I like the idea of having some extra time to spend with my son before things change (he’s only going to be 18 months when the baby comes, so there’s no way to really explain it to him). My boss has already told me that he doesn’t expect me to make it through the last couple of weeks, but that I can use any of my days off (ones that don’t carry over, sick time, or vacation time) and work whatever I want (i.e. I can be off anytime in March). 

I’ll also add that I’ll have four weeks of vacation for 2020 that I won’t touch before leave (I still have a week and a half from 2019 I have to use before going off), and will come back In March 2021 with four more weeks for 2021 (I can carry half over to 2022, thankfully), since we accrue vacation while on leave. So I’m definitely not worried about not having enough time off over the next couple of years! 
  • We’ll end up with a scheduled c-section on April 1st (if babies don’t come earlier). I plan on taking March 30/31 (the Mon/Tues) off and then taking full 12 weeks of FMLA. I’ll get 6 weeks of short term disability at 50% but the time with the babies is the most important. My work and DH’s work also have parental days so when my FMLA is over we’re both going to work partial weeks (if he’s at work I’m home and vice versa) to extend out the time that the kiddos don’t need to be in daycare.  That will save us more $ than if I used those parental hours during FMLA. 
  • Washington state has a new paid family medical leave program that will allow me to take 12 weeks paid (at 90%). I'm planning on using it all. However, I'm also planning on quitting my job prior to the birth as I will take at least a year off. The state will still pay me even if I quit prior! I'm just trying to decide on when I'm going to quit. I took 3 weeks off prior to DD's birth and will probably do the same...if not more.

My husband also has the option to use this leave anytime before the baby's first birthday. However, because his company is under 50 employees his job and medical benefits are not guaranteed during his leave. Because of this he will just use his PTO for a week or 2 after the birth and then WFH when he can. He may decide to use the pfml later in the year...while job hunting too. 
  • It’s really interesting to read the variety of maternity leaves people have (esp difference between USA & Canada!). 

I’m currently a full time PhD student (taking 3 classes and a teaching assistant for 1). We don’t get a formal maternity leave but get 8 weeks of “accommodations” which allows for excused absences and postponed assignments. My commute is 1.5 hours by train and it’s in a different state, so hoping I go into labor in the evening or weekend! My OB thinks I can commute up until labor, so we’ll see! Luckily have summer off so I count that as my true maternity leave. 

• @liligirl87 I’m about 20 minutes from the hospital at home and I work at the hospital that I’m giving birth at! I live in rural Maine, so there is rarely traffic, especially this time of year. Hopefully there isn’t any snow or bad weather that will disrupt the drive there!
  • I live and work less than 10 minutes away from the hospital, so I know I could get there quickly. My husband works 30 min away which is different from last pregnancy, so that worries me about him getting back to get me to the hospital.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm working until I go into labor. I don't get STD or any other paid leave and will be taking 10 weeks under FMLA. Hubby is a teacher and is going on leave starting spring break and not going back until fall semester so he'll have almost 4 months home with our daughter and the baby. 
    BabyFruit Ticker . Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker . Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I’m loving reading through these responses! I posed a maternity leave question at some point in a check-in, but I don’t think we were all ready to discuss then. I really appreciate this thread because this has been on my mind a lot lately!

As of now, I’m planning to work up until the Friday before my due date (due date is a Tuesday), but since I want to maximize my time at home with a baby, I’m not sure if I should plan to work until I go into labor instead...like what happens if I’m two weeks late?

I’ll be taking 8 weeks off partially paid through a combination of STD and sick days. I will then be on a reduced leave schedule for 8 weeks, working flexible (and maybe remote) hours to finish the balance of the four unpaid weeks I could take.

I’m not sure what happens next at this point, especially because the director of my department just dropped the bombshell that he is accepting a position elsewhere. I know he would have been very open to exploring my options for continuing in my position after leave ends, but now I’m thinking it might be more likely that I end up searching for a job that would allow me to stay home. 

@kfs2016 I hadn’t heard about Washington’s new state paid leave - that is awesome! I wish we had something similar. In thinking about leaving my job after maternity leave, I’m trying to decide how long I would need to be back in the office before it would be reasonable to give my notice...
  • @jenabary could you ask your doctor how late they'll let you go before inducing? Maybe that could help determine when to take off?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 that’s a great suggestion - I might do the same!
  • I think a few people mentioned it, but what are your partners planning to take off?

DH only gets a day off, but he plans to take 4-5 weeks vacation. Luckily he has a ton banked. With DD he was in between careers so he had 5 months off which was a dream. 
  • @doraleigh35 my husband get 1 week of paternity paid. He will take that. Not sure if he'll take any more, but he's saving as much vacation as possible now to be able to take more if he wants.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I work and live about 35 mins from the hospital. DH is over an hour, if he's not out doing field work, which can take him up to 2 hours away. I'm nervous about him being late to the birth. 
    He gets 6 weeks of partially paid paternity leave, which will be great. 
    Last time he went back to school/work the day we got home from the hospital!
  • @doraleigh35 DH started a new job right when DD was born so we came home with her on Sat and he started work on Mon! It sucked.
    This time he will take 2 weeks (since I'm a planned c section I'll be in the hospital probably 3-4 days) then he is taking 2 WFH non travel weeks. He WFH most of the time anyway, he just needed to put it in that he couldn't travel for those extra 2 weeks. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • DH and I work for the same company and we both get 4 weeks of paid leave.  I also get my 6 weeks of STD.  So the plan is I'll take 12 weeks between the 6&4 and two weeks of PTO.  DH will take 6 weeks between his leave and PTO.  He'll take the first week as PTO and be off with me.  Then he'll take his leave plus a week of PTO at 12 weeks when I go back to work that way we can keep babe out of daycare as long as possible.  I'm sooo jealous of all the Canadian moms who get a year!  In CT you get 16 weeks FMLA but it's not paid so we can't afford for me to take the full 16.  
  • My husband is a chef/caterer and works for himself so we’re super lucky that he gets to take whatever he wants and schedule things around what’s best for the family. When I go back to work after my 5 month leave, baby girl will stay with him and he’ll schedule his appointments/tastings/events for evenings and weekends.
  • My husband gets 8 week paid paternity leave (that’s better than my benefits!) He is taking a couple weeks off initially to adjust to our new family unit. He will go back to work until I have to go back at 12 weeks post partum and he will take an additional 6-8 weeks then. He works from home, so even when he goes back to work, he will still be here and I won’t be alone, which is nice.  
  • DH took a week with DS. I figure it will be a similar amount of time with this one. But, he gets the summer off, so he’ll get his time with her after I go back to work. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • @jenabary @literatureandink I believe standard practice is to induce if you go two weeks past your due date, unless medically there are indications to do it prior to that or unless the mother does not consent to it.
  • jenabaryjenabary member
    edited January 2020
    @Kathryn0903 I asked at the beginning of my pregnancy and my practice follows the standard 42 weeks. I think I should ask again at my 36 week ultrasound (and maybe at my 38 week check-in too) to make sure that is still the case and they don’t want to change their recommendation for me at that time.

@doraleigh35 My husband only gets a week. He could probably take more if needed, but he is commission-based, so him being at work is better for us in the end. Depending on which day of the week baby arrives and/or how birth goes, we may split up his time, so he is home a few days each week for two weeks. Fortunately, my mom will be visiting at the beginning, so she’ll be able to help me adjust and help around the house.
  • DH just found out that his company doesn't offer any paternity leave whatsoever. Most companies here offer 2 weeks at least as the standard and then you can top it up with Employee Insurance if you need a bit more time. The top up isn't at full pay though. Now he can only do it through EI (aka can only do it by taking a temporary pay cut) and I'm pissed. It seems incredibly sexist and outdated to not offer anything at all.