March 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight Series: Breast Pumps & Accessories!

2»

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Breast Pumps & Accessories!

• Ahh my OB just gave me the Brest pump info, I swear it was later last time. I’m bummed that the one I had last time isn’t available since I have backup parts for it. Now I guess I’m deciding between Spectra S2 and Ameda Mya... 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• @creativesoul63 Sorry to revive this old thread, but I was wondering if you got the Willow. I used my insurance one this time to try out the Spectra S1 since everyone loved it on here, but I am strongly considering buying the Willow. I was leaning toward the Elvie but then heard the suction on the Willow is better... Did you end up getting it?
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Loading the player...
  • @EmilyLove25 No, and actually after doing more research, I’ve decided to go with the Elvie instead. Going to pull the trigger on that soon! All the reviews and articles I’ve read do say that the suction on the Willow is better, but the caveat is that it is way more uncomfortable. As a FTM who is already nervous about pain associated with BF and pumping, I’m going to play it safe and go with the Elvie.
  • @EmilyLove25, just saw that if you buy the Willow 2.0 they're offering their reusable container for free with code "container." Not sure how long the promotion is running, but the reusable container is usually something like $45.
  • I purchased my Elvie today! If anyone else is going to buy one, if you use this link: https://elvie.mention-me.com/m/ol/pl7pi-rhea-steen, we'll both get $20 Amazon gift cards when you purchase yours.
  • Well I went the breastfeeding class last night and found out my insurance has two options: the Ameda Finesse and the Medela Pump in Style. The instructor said the Ameda is closed and Medela is open system. But she said she likes the Medela better and that the closed vs open system isn’t a big deal. Anyone have any experience with either of these?

I’m going to try to breastfeed but if it starts to make me feel overwhelmed and effect my mental health then I will prob stop, so I don’t want to go buy my own unless it’s going well, so I think prob just between these two for me.
  • @mrsc918 I actually had great luck with the Medela Pump in Style. It has fantastic suction and honestly, I had very few complaints about it. Something I cannot stress enough is the importance of buying a hands free pumping bra. This is my favorite: https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Wishes-Signature-Pumping-Patented/dp/B00295MQLU This is invaluable even if you are just pumping at home. I wouldn't survive without it. 

AFM I did it. Like a bandaid... I bought the Willow and @pdx2020 I used the container code! I would have gotten the Elvie if the Willow 2.0 hadn't added containers. It's the most money I've spent on myself in forever, and when it arrives, I can just look at it hahahahaha.
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• @mrsc918 you can see if you can upgrade to other pumps for a small fee. I had the Ameda Purely Yours ultra last time and it was amazing but the Finesse has much worse reviews so I didn’t feel comfortable going with it this time and I was able to upgrade to a Spectra S2 for $60. Open systems technically shouldn’t be used for multiple children and I think I read past 1 year. The issue with them is that milk gets into the system itself and it can grow bacteria and mold. Spectras are closed systems as well. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• @mrsc918 - my insurance had a similar offer, but also reimbursed if a pump met certain quals. You might want to call your insurance provider and see if they offer more than meets the eye. I actually got $470 reimbursed toward a Willow 2.0 (plus that free reusable container) even though their ostensible “only” offering was a Medela 🤷🏼‍♀️

@EmilyLove25, I just got a notification that the Willow arrived today so I will be looking at it too 😂😂
  • @EmilyLove25 @pdx2020 got my Elvie in the mail today too lol. Only reason I splurged was because I could use HSA funds towards it and I had money from an old job sitting around in an HSA account anyway. Hope it’s worth it, and hope BFing actually works out for me!!! 😬
  • My insurance will cover a handful of options, but I'm trying to decide if I want the Spectra S1 (which will cost $95 through insurance) or the Spectra S2 (which is free through insurance).  The only difference is that the S1 has a battery whereas the S2 has to be plugged in.  Having a pump that is able to be battery-operated does sound like it would be nice (the mobility would be a convenience), but I'm not sure if it's worth almost $100.  Thoughts?  Experience?
  • @Malidocious I'm also thinking about trying the Spectra this time.  I got the Medela Pump in Style because it was my only option with DS1 and DS2, but I have new insurance now that offers Spectra as an option.  Mine I think is a $75 upcharge for the S1.  I rarely needed to use the electric pump with my other pregnancies, but when I did use it I always had access to an outlet, so I'm not sure if it would be worth it for me to have the battery option.  I have a manual pump I could use in the rare occasion where I might be somewhere without access to an outlet and need to pump.  
    DS1 07/2015
    DS2 10/2017
    DS3 due 03/2020
  • @Malidocious I loved my spectra s1 and loved having it cordless. Last time I only had to pay $40-60 out of pocket for the S1.

this time, they want me to pay $130 out of pocket and i just couldn’t justify that. It retails for $200 and the S2 retails for $160 so it is messed up insurance charges that much more. 

If you can swing it, I really enjoyed having it cordless. 
    Me: 32 | DH: 35
    Married: 8/22/15
    BFP #1: 8/22/17 | DS: 4/20/18 
    BFP #2: 7/14/19 | EDD: 3/18/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @kailanae how did you like the Medela Pump in Style? That’s one of two options for me. 
  • @Malidocious I literally just contemplated the same scenario.  Our insurance was also asking for $95 to upgrade to the spectra 1.  I decided to do it because it is so nice to be cord free.  I’ve known a lot of working moms who pump on the commute to work and I don’t think there is a car adapter for the spectra 1 so cordless would be the way to go. I feel like our old house doesn’t always have outlets where I need them so it will be nice to pump wherever I want and not be tied down with a cord. 
  • @Malidocious @uno_mas IMO it's definitely worth springing for the the S1. That's what I have from last time, and it's SO NICE to be able to pump wherever you want. I don't think I used it while plugged in at all - I just had to remember to charge it once or twice a week. I pumped in the car multiple times, and never had to worry about finding an outlet. 

*Formerly LuND*
    Me: 35 | DH: 37
    TTC: 7/2016
    Low AMH, mild MFI
    BFP 7/29/17
    EDD: 4/5/18
    <3  DS born 4/4/18  <3
    BFP #2 7/2/19
    EDD 3/13/20

• @mrsc918 I liked the Medela just fine - I didn't need to use it often and haven't tried any other electric pumps to compare it to, but it did the job for me when I needed to pump.  
    DS1 07/2015
    DS2 10/2017
    DS3 due 03/2020
  • @stassischroeder I’m glad to hear that!  I actually came back to this thread and reread your comment and others before I decided to just spring for the S1.  This is baby 3 and I haven’t splurged on much but I’m excited about this.  I did not pump a ton in the past but I think I will like the convenience of it this time around and I also have no idea when/how I’ll be returning to work.