March 2020 Moms

January Appointments

Keep us updated on your appointments this month! 
Me: 33 | DH: 34
Married: October, 19, 2015
EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
EDD 11/24/23
(Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

Re: January Appointments

• I have to try to find time to get my GD bloodwork done tonight. I have an appt with my midwife tomorrow at 1PM and I've been promising her for like....a month that I would go get it done. It's so hard to carve out that stupid hour. UGH

32 week appt. tomorrow though....holy cow!
  • @mommyxthree2020 OMG I so agree. I had the hardest time finding a time where I could do it, mostly because I had to have it scheduled since I couldn't risk getting to the lab and having to wait and then be past the hour. I ended up doing it at 8:45 AM on a Saturday morning, lol. FX you find a time. And OMG 32 weeks! 
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Loading the player...
  • I had a quick, basic 30 week checkup today. Despite gaining 5 lbs in two weeks, my blood pressure is really good, so that's promising. I'm rotating to see as many doctors as possible at the practice, so this was my first time with this doctor. She made me feel at ease about some of my anxieties from my last pregnancy. She said just because my blood pressure spiked last time, and I had a tiny baby, doesn't mean it'll happen again. Everything is looking good so far, so I need to stay optimistic.
    Next appointment is in 2 weeks with my monthly ultrasound. 
    Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • @mrsvp614 Great news for the reassuring appointment. I also think MANY people (not even pregnant) gained 5+ lbs in the past two weeks! Seriously!
    *TW*

• @EmilyLove25 Haha that's very true! 'Tis the season! 
    Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • My sugars were elevated in my glucose screening so I’m at the clinic for the two hours doing the fasted test right now - it’s the worst! I just chugged the nasty drink and I feel so nauseous - much worse on an empty stomach ! 

I hope the diagnostic test comes back negative, but what can you do 🤷🏻‍♀️

30 week appointment coming up on the 15th :)
  • Thinking of you @dunder_mifflin. I hope all goes ok! Eat lots of protein the rest of the day.

AFM, I have a regular OB check up on Monday, 1/6. I'll be 29 weeks. 
    Me: 37 | H: 44
    **TW**
    TTC #1: May 2015
    IF DX January 2016- Me: Right sided hydrosalpinx 
    Right tube removed: February 2016
    Acupuncture + TCM: March 2016
    BFP: July 4, 2016 | DS: March 2017 (39w 2d)
    TTC #2: April 2019
    BFP #2: April 2019 | CP: April 30, 2019 (4w 2d)
    BFP #3: July 15, 2019
    EDD: March 23, 2020

• @dunder_mifflin Just seeing this but hope it went alright! 
    *TW*

• Had a regular appt with my midwife on 1/2, the first of my biweekly appointments! It felt very surreal to have her ask me so many "delivery day" specific questions. It was uneventful aside from that weird "come to jesus" moment of realizing *TW* I'm actually going to have my baby this time. Like, holy sh*t this is my third tri and it's really real this time, I'm going to get to hold him in my arms and not lose him. *End TW* I think at my next appt on the 16th, I'm going to ask her about my dizziness/difficulty breathing. I know it's normal third tri, and I had it with my first, but what I'm experiencing now feels kind of excessive and I feel near constantly on the verge of fainting. If I actually faint, I'll bring it up to her before then.
  • After being diagnosed with GD, and adding that to my high blood pressure, I'm now having to go in for growth ultrasounds and non stress tests every week! Next appointment is tomorrow, and we're confirming my induction date then. 32+3 today -- everything is starting to feel VERY real now!

@dunder_mifflin I hope your glucose test went well. Waiting for those results is the hardest part!
  • @heyahelmett, as a fellow GD mom.. I am having a rough time trying to schedule meals/planning what to eat.  Do you have any suggestions?   

@dunder_mifflin, hope you got good results!

@hellobabys, I had a similar revelation the other day.. *TW being a loss mom, it took longer for things to feel really 'real' to me.  Even now I have my moments.   Being in the home stretch is so exciting. 
  • @hellobabys welcome back - I do think you should bring up the lightheadedness if it has gotten that bad - who knows maybe you should some bloodwork done or something 
    @dunder_mifflin hoping it went well! 

afm - waiting my hr between the glucose drink & blood draw at my office which i was so excited about! I couldn't believe they let me leave lol. honestly the drink wasn't terrible - just flat sprite. I also have to get my blood count measured, and my office requires HIV/syphilis testing in the third tri as well. 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

• @hellobabys you should set mention this, you could be anemic, have you had a CBC blood draw lately to look at your RBCs and hemoglobin? Hope you’re feeling better, good luck at OB! 
  • @treetop19 I'm still trying to work out the best way to plan meals/eat right now, as I only got the diagnosis two weeks ago. My OB set me up with a dietician that specializes in GD, but that appointment isn't until next week. So far I've just been subbing veggies for carbs (ex: zoodles for pasta, adding more salad to a meal instead of bread) and that seems to work for me. Still no good at planning meals, though!
  • @chichiphin I had my glucose test today too! Fingers crossed for both of us. The hour wait wasn’t too bad since I had my normal check up after I had my drink. 

Having our baby shower this past weekend definitely made things all too real for me. All this stuff being in the house makes me feel like I have to get everything done NOW! Nursery finished, car seat in the car, things I didn’t get at the baby shower bought, plus we need to do the online portion of our childbirth class before the in person session on February 8th. Oy!!
  • Had an appointment yesterday - and they're switching me from the midwife group to the OB group due to my GD since it's insulin controlled.  I am a little disappointed at having to switch care providers this late in the game, but at least I'll still be delivering at the same hospital, so they have a lot of the same policies.  

I've also got to start coming in for weekly ultrasounds/stress tests, so I'm a little nervous about fitting all of that into my already-busy schedule (trying to get a lot of the kids' orthodontic/dental visits in before maternity leave.. and also trying to not use very many sick hours at work.)  but, I am excited to see this LO more often.  :)  
  • @treetop19 @heyahelmett for meal plans here are a few suggestions.  I loooove cooking and am pretty nerdy about meal planning and nutrition. 🤓 From what I’ve read, protein, fiber and low glycemic index foods are important for GD.  These are my go to’s for trying to eat healthy and having quick stuff to pack for meals at work:

Hard boiled eggs (make a bunch for the whole week, good to have a couple for a quick breakfast or you can chop one over a salad. I usually make 8-12 at a time and peel them right away so they are super quick to grab). Fast, cheap, high quality protein 👍

Salad. It takes some time to chop stuff for a salad so I usually make 3-4 at a time.  (Aldi just had meal prep containers 10 for $5 this week). I buy the container of prewashed spring mix or spinach and start with that and add whatever veggies.  I add some protein/fat (shaves/chunks of cheddar; shelled pistachios/walnuts/pecans; egg; black/kidney/garbanzo beans; avocado; chicken). 

Veggie bowls. Chop and roast several veggies on a sheet pan (usually 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes).  I just did 2 red bell peppers, a package of mushrooms (quartered), 2 small zucchini, and 2 yellow squash, and a red onion. Delicious. Make a large batch of brown rice or quinoa and just top with veggies. You can also add some beans or meat.  A rotisserie chicken comes in handy to shred on top of bowls/salads. 

Soup. Huge batch and then you can heat up a bowl for a quick lunch or dinner. So many good soup recipes and it’s an easy way to get lots of veggies in your diet. You can add handfuls of kale/spinach to pretty much any soup for added calcium, fiber, iron, etc. If you buy rotisserie chickens for salads/bowls/soup/tacos you can save the carcass for homemade broth. Whenever I’m done with a chicken, I put it in the freezer in a ziplock.  When I have two, I put them both in the crockpot and cover them with water cook on low all day. That’s it!  Strain out the bones and you have a lower sodium, healthy stock for soups. 

Snacks.  Nuts, apple or banana with nut butter, veggies or blue corn chips and hummus or guac.  A slice of good seedy whole grain bread with avocado or nut butter. Cheese and fruit. Cottage cheese and tomato or fruit. Yogurt (Check for how many g of sugar though)

Hope this helps and that all goes smoothly with your pregnancies ❤️
  • @uno_mas, thanks for the tips!  I'll have to incorporate this into my routine - esp. the soups, I definitely need something I can heat up quickly for lunch since I typically don't take a full lunch break.
  • @creativesoul83 yay! 

@treetop19 switching must be a bit scary. My midwives said that is the only reason they would have to switch me to an OB as well. Sending love! 
    @uno_mas - DH and I are meal prep nerds also and we spend Sunday’s making all of our lunches for the week. Makes our lives a million times easier!! Just grab and go in the morning. It takes time and is a pain to get into the groove at first, but once you get the hang of it, it’s so easy! And I make sure most of my food is roasted/baked in the oven so I’m not standing over a stove for too long and I can do other chores. I roast two large sweet potatoes for me for the week, split them each into 5. I have 1/5 large sweet potato for both breakfast and as part of my salad/chicken bowl for lunch. I also bake 5 chicken breasts and then cut them up (I take half of one for each lunch), cut up lettuce and green onion, make my olive oil, lemon, and garlic dressing for the next couple of weeks, and I cut up celery and carrots for snacks at work. I also Pringle’s an apple that I pair with a protein for a snack - like peanut butter or cheese. When I ate breakfast on the go, I would make little egg cups in the oven in muffin tins, bake at 425 for 10 -12 minutes. You can make them with peppers, mushroom, cheese, etc. I would bring that and one piece of sweet potato and then I would have half an avocado with it for breakfast and the other half I would throw in my lunch. 
    DH makes his salads with quinoa. Sometimes I make my bowls with sausages I throw in the oven vs. chicken or leftover taco meat when I get board of chicken. Helps to spice things up. 
    I hope this helps a bit! DH switches things up more than me, hes tall and slim so he eats pasta and sausages for meal prep often, lol. 
  • @dunder_mifflin those are great ideas!  I need to try the egg cups.  I’ve looked at recipes in the past and never actually tried them.  Do you have a a link for the one you use?  That sounds delicious. 
  • To add to the food suggestions of @uno_mas, a savory yogurt bowl uses a lot of the same ingredients as a salad or veggie bowl, but mixes things up. Just mix some lemon/lime juice with plain yogurt (& maybe some seasoning) & add whatever you'd normally add to a salad or veggie bowl. I had one the other day with a hard-boiled egg, carrot shavings, some leftover couscous from the night before, spinach, avocado, green apple slices, pumpkin seeds, & kale chips. 
  • I don’t have one, I think I looked on Pinterest and forgot to pin! Haha. Just spray the muffin tins with cooking spray, crack an egg and other cooked veggies or protein (some bacon bits and cheese can be fun but more decadent) and bake at 425 for 10-11 minutes 
  • Does anything important happen at the 32 week appt? My dr was delivering a baby again so since he missed the last one and this one they want me to come in next week but I’m wondering if it’s worth it? I am a little concerned on how I’m measuring bc comparing photos I’m much bigger than last time and since he’s missed those appointments I haven’t had a fundal height measurement in like 3 months but besides that I can’t remember anything important happening at 32 weeks. 
    EDD 11/24/23

• @varimama I find the 32 week appointment pointless, though they are doing a growth scan for me. I'd probably go just to be measured to see if they want you in. That said, it is VERY normal to be MUCH bigger MUCH earlier in second, third, etc pregnancies, and that was the case for me... now DS (2nd) was also MUCH bigger than DD but still just a normal size. I would assume if you went next week you'd then go 33, 35, 37, 38, 39, 40?
    *TW*

• @EmilyLove25 yup that’s his schedule! I agree it’s probably good to go get measured. It’s just frustrating bc it’s an hour away so I wish they had called me this morning and just had me reschedule so I didn’t have to drag DS all the way there in the car twice. So far there has been no mention of an ultrasound for me but I also haven’t seen him since 20ish weeks. That’s good to know that it’s normal to be much bigger. DS was on the bigger size at birth 8lb 12oz, so not outlandish but idk if I can birth one much bigger... he required the vacuum assist and an episiotomy 
    EDD 11/24/23

• @varimama Episiotomy and assisted (forceps) birth club here too! And I'd be super annoyed re: driving that far... 
    *TW*

• Question on the fundal height measurement...that’s when they measure your belly and tell you how many weeks ur measuring right? I’m ahead by a week...is that a big deal? Does that mean my due date is wrong? 

Found out at the elective ultrasound last night that baby is almost 3lbs14oz...at 30 weeks. I’m like uhmmmm slow it down baby girl! Lol
  • @mrsc918 I've heard often that people are told during ultrasounds how much their baby is estimating weight-wise and it has been wildly wrong, by over a lb.  I don't think ultrasound weight measurements are necessarily very accurate.  I'm also measuring ahead by fundal height but my midwife is not concerned.  It doesn't necessarily mean your due date is wrong.  From my understanding they use it to check that you are growing as expected from week to week and don't have unexpected jump in growth or multiple weeks without growth.
    DS1 07/2015
    DS2 10/2017
    DS3 due 03/2020
  • @mrsc918 measuring a week ahead (or behind) isn’t a big deal. Most doctors don’t get worried unless you’re measuring over 2 weeks ahead or behind! Also agree with @kailanae that ultrasounds are notoriously wrong with estimating weight. 
    EDD 11/24/23

• @varimama I asked for a fundal height measurement at my 28 week appointment because I felt my stomach was SO much bigger this time around. Turns out I measured at 29.5 at 28 weeks so totally in line with normal limits. 
    Me: 37 | H: 44
    **TW**
    TTC #1: May 2015
    IF DX January 2016- Me: Right sided hydrosalpinx 
    Right tube removed: February 2016
    Acupuncture + TCM: March 2016
    BFP: July 4, 2016 | DS: March 2017 (39w 2d)
    TTC #2: April 2019
    BFP #2: April 2019 | CP: April 30, 2019 (4w 2d)
    BFP #3: July 15, 2019
    EDD: March 23, 2020

• @puppylove8910 I’m guessing that’s what will be the case here too! I was looking at pictures of last time and I think a difference was I was gaining weight all over big time, this time it seems to be mostly belly (though I know my butt and face have a little too) 
    EDD 11/24/23

• I just had my 29 week appointment with midwife and I was advised I have AB- blood and now I need to go and get a RhoGam shot stat as it should be done at around 28 weeks. I’m just thrown off because I thought my blood type was B+ this whole time, lol. That’s what my pediatrician told my mom when I was young. Anyone else have this?

I’m also annoyed because my midwife’s office has known since September (that is when the sheet they gave me confirming my blood type was dated) and no one told me! And then it was a scramble to re-work my schedule and go to the hospital this morning to get it done. I also have this little strange voice inside my head saying “maybe you should triple check your blood type since you thought you were B+ your whole life...” but not there’s no time to do that. I feel I have the B+ blood documented somewhere in my immunization forms or something. I’m definitely going to address feeling frustrated I wasn’t informed earlier at my next appointment. Now I’m every two weeks to midwife. 

Any FTMs feel like they should have a bit more guidance from their healthcare providers sometimes? I overall like the experience of midwife but I thought I would have just a bit more hand-holding and I feel it’s not too far from what an OB would be at this point. 
  • I’m sitting here doing my 3 hour glucose test. I drank the glucose drink about 5 mins ago and I’m literally holding back my throw-up. It’s awful. I feel SO sick already. It’s going to be a loooooooong morning. 
  • Update. I threw up. All over the floor. Didn’t even make it to a toilet. So now I have to come back another day. I’m so upset you guys. 
  • @miss.sally OH NO!! I'm SO sorry  :'( what a way to start your morning. Take it easy today if you can... do something special for yourself! sending hugs!
  • @miss.sally Oh no!!! That really sucks. I know how hard it was to get in that appt. for you. Hope you feel better and take it easy.