Infertility
Options

Physical Effect Of IVF

Hi, I will be starting IVF in a few months and wanted to ask the people who have experienced IVF how it affected them on a physical level. I have two chronic illnesses and am concerned about how it will affect my functioning ability as I am already struggling with that. I know that IVF takes a huge toll emotionally, but I feel like I am coping really well so far and will be able to work out my emotions so they don't burden my functioning level when doing the IVF. Of course, I will be overwhelmed with many different emotions, but I have a deep tool-set of skills to work through the painful emotions that may come and allow it to not get me down. At least, that is what I am hoping for myself. Back to my question, if you would like to share, I would be very interested in your experience on a physical level. Thanks for sharing!
PomegranateSeeds

Re: Physical Effect Of IVF

• Options
    Hi @pomegranateseeds! I had very few physical symptoms. I had some hot flashes from the stims, and the progesterone made me tired. No other problems for me. It is an emotional roller coaster with a lot of hurry up and wait. I wish you the best of luck!
  • Options
    Thank you so so much!
    PomegranateSeeds
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi @pomegranateseeds! This was a few years ago for me, I didn't have side effects from the medications, but I remember a feeling of being really "full" in my lower abdomen. Starting a few days before the retrieval, it was uncomfortable to wear tight pants or walk long distances. I remember reading that each mature follicle is about the size of a grape - and I ended up with 18! - so it's easy to understand why it was uncomfortable. Afterwards, I just had quite a bit of bloating that hung around for a few weeks, but eventually disipated.  Good luck as you move forward! 
  • Options
    I second what @caitb13 said - I had 70  :#  follicles growing (that's pretty unusual though, nurses were showing each other my ultrasound images in the hallway of the clinic...), so I felt like a hen with 2 baskets of eggs attached to my abdomen that jiggled with any physical activity... 
    Do not underestimate the emotional side though. Imaging PMS. but now it's PMS multiplied by the number of follicles that are growing inside (as each will produce hormones). As uncomfortable as I was physically, I was not ready for this hormonal sledgehammer. 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My story in signature spoiler. Children mentioned.
    Me: 37 DH: 45
    I don't produce FSH, so no natural menstrual cycle. DH has reduced morphology.
    Summer 2014 IUI (with first husband): cancelled after almost a month of stims due to too many follicles
    Time off to divorce, get back on my feet, find a new hubby and get married again 💑
    March 2017 IVF#1: ~70 follicles, 13R, 10M, 7F, 3B = 2 PGS Normal (both XY) - no transfer due to ohss
    Sept 2017 FET#1: BFP, Beta#1 (10dpt) - 253, Beta#2 (12dpt) - 528, DS born 05/31/2018 👨‍👩‍👦
    Dec 2019 FET#2: BFN
    Changed clinic, planning March 2020 IVF#2 - postponed due to the pandemic
    April 2020 IVF #2: ~30 follicles, 24R, 12M, 8F, 4B = 2XY & 2XX, all normal  <3
    Sept 2020 FET#3: one XX embryo, BFP, Beta#1 (9dpt) - 161, Beta#2 (11dpt) - 519, Beta#3 (19dpt) - 7174, Due date 05/30/2021
    DD born 05/23/2021 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 - My family is now complete <3
  • Options
    Thank you both for your reply. The hormonal part may be a roller coaster, I hope my confidence in me helps for it to be more smooth. I meant the emotions that aren't hormonal will likely be easier for me. This is the first time I am trying to get pregnant and I don't have all of the anticipations and disappointments inside of me already that people who have tried to conceive naturally have. We can't conceive naturally. 

I have allodynia which is very intense skin sensitivity. I really hope I don't have what you experienced physically with IVF. If I get sensitivity tactile wise, that would be very difficult because it would be added to my allodynia. It's good for me to prepare and have a heads up. I will save lots of options for clothing. I have been trying to be a minimalist. (=
    PomegranateSeeds
  • Options
    @pomegranateseeds

If you have very sensitive skin -- if you're doing progesterone injections, you may want to start out with ethyl oleate based injections rather than the sesame oil ones which tend to be harder on sensitive skin. I had horrible reactions to the sesame oil and none to the ethyl oleate, and while I don't have your condition, I do have extremely sensitive skin (just lavender oil drops during yoga caused a painful allergic reaction).
    ~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."

• Options
    @pomegranateseeds I was about to say it didn’t affect me much but after reading @caitb13 and @FuzzyDust’s comments, I do remember how full I felt and uncomfortable it was for me to do a fast walk. I had about 40 follicles growing at the time. I’ve experienced some anxiety but that was mainly from having to go through 3 ER despite initially being told that I’m an excellent candidate for IVF, and also some financial concern (we had money saved up for more treatments, but it’s never fun to see $30K disappear without any results). I didn’t experience PMS or anything like it, but I also don’t experience any PMS anyway. I’m not affected emotionally or physically much by hormones. If you have skin sensitivity, you may want to stay away from estrogen patch, which is typically used during medicated FET cycle. My skin is raw from it. :(
    Me: 41  DH: 46
    Unexplained infertility/AMA, polycystic ovaries, insulin resistance
    FET#1(July 2017): eSET of first of 4 PGS-normal embryos, DS born 3/30/2018
    FET#2(Oct/Nov 2019): eSET  
  • Options
    Thank you so much! I will talk to my doctor about my sensitivity when the time comes. You are all so helpful. 
    PomegranateSeeds