April 2020 Moms
Options

Weekly Questions 12/29

Re: Weekly Questions 12/29

• Options
    Has anyone gotten a cold yet this pregnancy? I have a list of preggo-safe things to alleviate some symptoms, but what did you find helped? Would especially like to know what worked for you for nasal congestion. I just got hit with one from my Mum and it's a baddie, and my shower is on Friday! The only relief I've managed to get has been from standing in a hot shower, but I know I shouldn't be spending too much time in there.
  • Options
    So this might be a weird question.  DH and I were talking about how we're going to bring snacks with us to the hospital this time.  Is it against the rules and/or disrespectful to bring something with nuts/peanut butter?  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @KFrob I would avoid it if you can, or at least make sure that anything with nuts is in sealed in well-labeled packaging so they can take it home if they can't eat it on site
  • Options
    How do we feel about combining the weekly check-ins? Either have 2 groups instead of 4 or just one thread for everyone? I feel like we might get more interaction that way. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Options
    @korthouse Unfortunately, I never have much luck with cold symptoms using pregnancy safe meds. I hope you find something that works quick. 

@KFrob DH brought some nuts last time. They never left our room unless they were in the suitcase. It was just so that he had something to snack on. You might ask if your hospital has a policy on that.

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • Options
    @mercury94 I like that idea. I feel like our BMB is smaller than others and we would benefit from combining groups.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I’m on board with a combined check in... have we discussed moving to FB yet?
  • Options
    @mercury94 I’m totally on board with a combined check in at this point. I hate that I have to go into other check ins and “lurk” to stay on top of what’s going on with everyone.
  • Options
    @KFrob I’m definitely bringing cashews to the hospital if I’m still as obsessed with them as I am right now
  • Options
    Is anyone having increased insomnia? It’s getting really hard for me to have a good night’s sleep and it’s driving me bonkers. BONKERS!
  • Options
    @literatureandink Yes. Insomnia is totally normal abs annoying at this point in pregnancy. It sucks so much. Sorry you’re dealing with it too. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • Options
    @ejoseph16 might be too soon for a fb move. I think with my last BMB we didn't move to FB till the month before. I'm open to what others think, though.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @ejoseph16 I don’t recall the last time we discussed FB. I was planning to bring it up at the end of January or early February. Not sure if it’s still too early or not. My last BMB had some FB drama and ended up fracturing after the babies were born. But, I’m not sure that waiting too much past this point would really change that outcome. And FB is frequently easier to use. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • Options
    Anyone have marginal cord insertion or dealt with it in a previous pregnancy? I found out I have it today. Doctor didn't seem too concerned other than I'll get extra growth ultrasounds.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Kathryn0903 I’m pretty sure someone in my last BMB had that and everything turned out fine. That was 2 years ago, though, so I might be wrong. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • Options
    @literatureandink I have my insomnia back now... actually, I have a lot of my first trimester symptoms coming back. 

@mercury94 @Kathryn0903 Ok... I wasn’t sure when to bring that up. We can wait another month or so, I just was curious. 😊 it’s much easier to keep up on there. Lol. 
  • Options
    @mercury94 @ejoseph16 I’ve never had insomnia before and it really really sucks! 😫 Thankfully I’ve been on vacation so I’ve been able to take naps but when I go back next week I’m going to be the MOST cranky. Is there any safe way to treat it?
  • Options
    @mercury94 I love the combined group idea!
  • Options
    @mercury94 I love the combined group idea too! 

@literatureandink I'm right here with you on the insomnia. Some nights, it's just waking up briefly multiple times to pee or because my back hurts. On the worst nights, I'm up for hours and it sucks.

Right now I'm in the middle of a 2 day headache, and nothing I've tried seems to help. (Drinking enough water, eating right, TRYING to sleep as much as I can, Tylenol, etc.) The ice pack and resting is the most effective, but I can't leave it on all the time and I do have to work. :P I went to the OB office because I freaked myself out, but BP was fine and baby seemed fine so they sent me on my way. But it's horrible and I hate it.  Anyone have any home remedies that help them? Since we've ruled out BP-related reasons, I'm assuming it must be an evil conglomeration of a sinus headache (weather has been super weird) and a tension headache - but I've never had one for this long before. But I'll stop whining now. lol. 
  • Options
    Another one for the insomnia!  

@sbalding88 I'm with you on the headache too.  If it's sinus try increasing water even more and saline nasal spray neti pot style to flush everything out.
  • Options
    STM+ - Were there any books on childbirth/breastfeeding that you found helpful?
  • Options
    @sbalding88 I’ll drink some Gatorade or the water that has electrolytes in it to try and knock out a headache.  If it is a tension headache maybe go to the chiropractor and/or massage your neck, jaw, scalp etc...
  • Options
    krthousekrthouse member
    edited January 2020
    @literatureandink The Birth Partner and Ina May's Guide to Childbirth are ones my midwives and doula all swear by. I read the birth partner to assist with my sister's birth and found it really helpful and positive 
  • Options
    @korthouse I found The Birth Partner really informative as well. I want my husband to read it, but he hasn’t quite jumped on board with tackling it yet. 
  • Options
    babyrummombabyrummom member
    edited January 2020
    @literatureandink I’m a FTM, but have been doing a lot of reading from recommendations of others. I read the Birth Partner and Natural Hospital Birth and found them both informative and helpful. 
  • Options
    @literatureandink For breastfeeding, definitely get Jack Newman’s Guide to Breastfeeding. He’s a Canadian doctor and is pretty much THE breastfeeding guru. You can also follow him on Facebook. He has so much good information, and also has a lot of scientific evidence that dispels various myths. Like the need to pump and dump, if you have a drink or two while nursing, which is such a prevalent myth these days. 
  • Options
    @Sailing_Mama that’s my least favorite breastfeeding myth! 😂
  • Options
    @Sailing_Mama @korthouse Just found a digital copy of the Jack Newman book at my library, so once I finish my current reading, I'm gonna tackle that one. I definitely don't feel quite prepared for breastfeeding so anything that will help me feel a little less overwhelmed about that before my little girl is born would be awesome. :) I also found the Ina May book and the Birth Partner books there too so I think I'll be doing a lot of reading in the coming weeks. 
  • Options
    @Sailing_Mama Thank you!!  I'm getting this book!  I've had to EP with both LOs and this time around I don't think I have it in me to do it again so I'd really like breastfeeding to work.
  • Options
    Has anyone else had blood pressure issues? I just spent 3 1/2 hours at labor & delivery triage because my blood pressure was high at the doctors office, lots of bloodwork... and it’s not preeclampsia thank goodness! It is gestational hypertension. Ugh. So now I’m on meds for it. 
  • Options
    @ejoseph16 Oh no. I have no advice or experience, but I’m sorry you’re dealing with that. I hope the meds help. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • Options
    @mercury94 it was a bit scary to get sent to triage right away, we were both praying all the way to the hospital... but I’m glad it all turned out ok. My doctor thinks it’s environmental factors with my job, so medication was a must. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • Options
    @ejoseph16 I have blood pressure issues. Always have had white coat hypertension and last pregnancy was taking it at home. One day, it was super high and had another concern that showed up on the ultrasound. Got sent to labor and delivery and it turned out to be preeclampsia. Was able to manage it till 37 weeks when I delivered. I had high bp after delivery and have been on meds ever since. This pregnancy, everything has been fine. Still get high readings at the office, but all readings are fine at home so far. I get scared the closer I get to 32 weeks since that was when preeclampsia got diagnosed last time.
    BabyFruit Ticker