February 2020 Moms

Packing Your Hospital Bag

2»

Re: Packing Your Hospital Bag

• @Swiftlet @mandk1233 I definitely didn't feel like blood was everywhere...I mean there's a lot, but the big pads and underwear caught it well. But wearing black couldn't hurt! I would more caution about anything too tight like leggings, because then you'll be trying to pull those up over the big diaper, so looser bottoms are helpful.
  • @Swiftlet I never bled through anything, but I wore some dark PJ bottoms and crappy underwear just Incase lol 

It's like the heaviest period ever, but after a day or so it calms to a normal period (in my opinion) ...just make sure all your pads are lined up and in place before you stand up lol
  • Loading the player...
  • @Swiftlet and @mandk1233, I personally felt better wearing dark pants and even sitting on a dark towels on my tan couch. I had a few gushes happen when I went from laying down to sitting/standing or from sitting to standing. I think part of the problem was my underwear and shorts I was wearing weren’t tight enough to keep the pads up close to my body so I leaked down my leg. 

Getting out of the shower I would make sure to have a dark towel there since you are standing but don’t have a pad on yet. 

I bled heavily for a few days and then it mostly was an annoyance vs. being a lot of blood if that makes sense. 
  • @Swiftlet Hmm...that's interesting I hadn't heard that tip. But you're absolutely right about the heavy bleeding. I had no idea what I was in for when I had my first. I think I was expecting maybe a super heavy period...but this was beyond that. I leaked in the mesh underwear/pad combo because the pad kinda weighed the underwear down and made it sag. So if you're planning on going with that option (and have a similar experience) I concur with the black bottoms. I switched to depends and didn't have the leaking problem. 
  • @Swiftlet I wouldn’t worry about leaking especially if you’re planning on wearing depends. I used the giant pads provided by the hospital for a few days and then switched to cheap granny panties and regular pads and never leaked. I agree with PP that it is more of an annoyance than anything.
  • @Swiftlet I wore the hospital gown and navy. I never leaked through the pads and mesh undies but I wouldn’t want to risk a lighter color. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Thanks everyone! :) I have black leggings (still pretty stretchy/not tight) and medium/dark grey sweats I was going to bring, plus older underwear that I don't care about tossing if needed. Good idea about having a dark towel with me and ready at home (also planning to have one down in bed at least at first).
  • @jvk2012 ohhh I did the dark towel thing too. Thanks for the reminder!! 
  • rikiteacuprikiteacup member
    edited January 2020
    @Swiftlet how much bleeding are we talking about here?! Sounds like the mesh underwear/Depends wouldn't be enough??
    Does it mean I'll need puppy pads in my car for a couples weeks after the delivery? My seats are a light gray fabric.
    TTC#1
    10/2018: MFI (2 SA under 9 million/ml)
    11/2018: HSG shows right Fallopian tube slightly damaged 
    1/2019: Husband diagnosed with grade 3 varicocele
    4/05/2019: varicocele repair surgery
    6/13/2019: BFP!!! EDD: 2/22/2020 <3  Baby girl born 2/27/2020
    7/18/2019: Total Motile Count at 3 months post surgery = 51 millions!! (number must be >20 millions to conceive naturally).

TTC #2
    9/07/2021: BFP - CP: 9/10/2021
    10/07/2021: BFP - CP: 10/23/2021
    12/23/2021: BFP! EDD: 08/31/2022

• @rikiteacup it’s a lot of blood. But how long and how heavy it stays depends on the person. I definitely sat on puppy pads around the house for a bit. I may have the first few times in the car but I wasn’t going very far for the first couple of weeks (the pediatrician for weight checks mainly). And as I mentioned earlier, I personally never leaked. But everyone is different. 
  • A friend at work said she used these when she has her baby and they did the job for her! I think I'll pick up a pack for my hospital bag/stash at home 
  • @foreveronyourside those are the exact ones I wore and, I swear, you would think I was being paid to promote them. I ended up being a super heavy bleeder and they were lifesavers...especially at night. Honestly, I imagine Depends are probably just as effective, but since the Always didn't let me down last time, I'm planning on wearing them again this time. 
  • @foreveronyourside, I bought some Depends for this time around
  • I think I have the always :p (leftover from last pregnancy) ..no shame!! Wear the adult diapers!!! 
  • @lanie1000 I've always had insane periods so I'm planning on it being bad. Glad these could get an endorsement! Lol 
  • Do you need to take your breast pump to hosp? I assumed no but somewhere I saw it on a packing list? 
  • @optimism3 pretty sure I read that the hospital will supply any breast bump needs. (As a FTM I cant tell u from exp though)
  • @optimism3 I needed to pump with my first and I just used the hospitals. I was able to take all the parts I used home which was great to have an extra set of parts. 
  • @optimism3, same as @clee5711. I used the hospital’s and took home the parts I used which were compatible with the I one I had at home. 
  • @optimism3 the hospital has some breast pumps, no need to bring yours.
    TTC#1
    10/2018: MFI (2 SA under 9 million/ml)
    11/2018: HSG shows right Fallopian tube slightly damaged 
    1/2019: Husband diagnosed with grade 3 varicocele
    4/05/2019: varicocele repair surgery
    6/13/2019: BFP!!! EDD: 2/22/2020 <3  Baby girl born 2/27/2020
    7/18/2019: Total Motile Count at 3 months post surgery = 51 millions!! (number must be >20 millions to conceive naturally).

TTC #2
    9/07/2021: BFP - CP: 9/10/2021
    10/07/2021: BFP - CP: 10/23/2021
    12/23/2021: BFP! EDD: 08/31/2022

• Awesome - thanks guys
  • @optimism3 mine had a limited supply of pumps and it took them a while to get it to me so I was thinking of packing mine this time just in case. But the hospital grade ones are usually better if you can get one of those.
  • Last time I brought a lot of all the recommended stuff and found it was too much. The most valuable thing I probably brought was trash bags to help carry the stuff visitors brought to us to the car and into the house. 

This time we have 2 coming home outfits for baby (since we don’t know if it’s a boy or girl) I have pair of clothes for DH, pair for me, toiletries. Charger cord and power bank. Camera and baby blanket. Then I have small gifts for the kids the exchange. 

Hospital has a lot of stuff so I might still bring a bag or two to snag the free stuff like diapers, pads, they even let us bring home the tiny tub they bathed her in last time. 

Leaving the boppy pillow cause they have one. I told DH where the Haakaa is cause if it’s only a day in the hospital I have no need for it. If we have to stay a couple days then he can just go pick it up.