March 2020 Moms

Styling/Clothing for Newborn Photoshoot

I am at a loss of how to style our family for a lifestyle newborn shoot. Anyone wanna share Pinterest boards or instagram pics or any sort of inspiration on how you are gonna style your newborn shoot, if you are doing one?

Bonus points for pics of newborn take home outfits too. I have no clue what to dress little miss in. 
Me: 32 | DH: 35
Married: 8/22/15
BFP #1: 8/22/17 | DS: 4/20/18 
BFP #2: 7/14/19 | EDD: 3/18/20
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

Re: Styling/Clothing for Newborn Photoshoot

• Loading the player...
  • @pdx2020 thank you! I will check out those links!

I am using a diff photographer this time than I did for DS and doing lifestyle instead of in studio (plus have DS now), and I feel at a loss. I'm so not good at styling. 

• @pdx2020 Wow your friend is very gifted. These are great tips and beautiful images!

@silverhope DD And I wore VERY light gray... and mine was a super thin sweater with a white tank top underneath, and DS (the newborn) was wrapped in navy blue/light blue at various points. They were beautiful photos. I actually found the grown man the hardest to get right... but you can't go wrong with shades of lighter gray/pale blue/white/neutral. 
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• @silverhope, ooh good -- those links should be pretty spot on then! And I'm not great shakes either -- I've shamelessly copied this friend on everything from outfits to art to couches, haha! 
  • I didn’t do newborn and don’t plan to this time either but I think the trick for styling photos is to make sure everyone has colors that go together but aren’t necessarily the same color. (ie don’t all wear black shirts and blue jeans). I use Pinterest to find color schemes that go together and usually base it on my main color idea. So for a photo shoot mostly about DS he looks best in navy so I look for complimentary colors. For my maternity shoot I wanted to wear a forest green dress so I looked for colors that went with that. Also staying away from patterns except for like plaid. I usually put one of the boys (DS or DH) in plaid and everyone else a solid color. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• @pdx2020 wow such great links!  Your friend’s work is beautiful. I would love to do a lifestyle shoot this time.  We tried to do one with my second baby a couple weeks after our home birth and it was such a stressful day because I didn’t consider styling or what my home looked like until the night before 😳. My bad. 
  • We did newborn photos from our home with both DS1 and DS2 using our wedding photographer, but for DS3 we are going to use a different (much more affordable) photographer.  Both bring their own backdrop/props so that helps me feel a lot less stressed about the state of our house.  I haven't thought much into what we will all wear yet!  The photos will mostly be of baby but I'm sure we'll do some family shots too.
    DS1 07/2015
    DS2 10/2017
    DS3 due 03/2020
  • I realize I am the only one obsessing over the newborn photoshoot (it’s bc my mom hated ours with DS and it makes me cry when I see them now and I hate them now bc of her opinion so I am taking these VERY seriously and have cried to DH about styling them already several times). 

ANYWAY, spoiler has some outfit options. Any opinions? I can mix things around too, not just the ones pictured. 

(A)

(B)

(C) 

(D) 

(E) 

(F) 

(G) 

(H)

• @silverhope I like C & D best!
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• @silverhope F for the more casual vibe and pastel colors 
  • @silverhope I’m sorry this has been such a stressful ordeal for you.  I had a hard time looking at our pictures too because it didn’t go as planned.  The worst thing was feeling stressed during the actual shoot, because my stress rubbed off on the baby and she fussed the whole time.  I think it’s great that you are considering details now so you can feel calm on that day.  Your pictures are going to be beautiful.  I love the color schemes you are considering. A and D are my favorites. Could it help to have a convo with your mom about how important these photos are to you, and how you feel sensitive of her opinions about them? I think if we do photos again, I will plan better, but also try to adjust my thinking that the photos are precious because of the people and the time in our lives, and try to be more relaxed about details. Easier said than done, for sure 😉
  • @silverhope @uno_mas I also wanted to add for anyone stressed about newborn photos potentially not coming great, maybe consider doing your own newborn shoot of just your baby (either instead of or in addition to your family shoot).

My hubs and I looked awful in the newborn photos from our first so for our second I set up a shoot of just the baby on my own. I put a big white comforter on our bed and had her in her floral swaddle blanket with some props like a wooden initial and a big flower bow, and then I just took it slow and moved her around and dressed and redressed her however I wanted, experimenting with propping on pillows, etc. Because she was the only one being photographed and I took the photos myself it was a lot less stressful and I got some great shots. We then had a family member doing a full family photo shoot a few weeks later when we were all a little more put together. 
  • @silverhope I like A and D the best. I'm not a huge fan of the light denim, personally. What site/app did you use for this?? It's so cool. 

FWIW, I'm also in the "newborn only" camp for newborn photos. Family photos are SO STRESSFUL for me and extra hard when you're trying to look cute and "bounce back" after growing a human in your body. Add that to the stress of trying to wrangle a tiny baby and another kid? I don't know how anyone does this. 
  • I'm with @uno_mas and @keeksie84 - A + D! Although I think they'll turn out lovely since you've taken the time to think of what you want! 
  • I vote for A & D too!!
  • I like B, F, and G haha but seriously think they all look great. I think simplicity is everything. But also boo to your mom! I am very sensitive to my mom's comments. She rarely says anything negative about things I do/wear/say/choose/like, so when she does, it eats at me. I'm sorry you're still remembering that! 
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• @uno_mas thank you for your sweet words. My husband told me to just not show her the photos this time. He thinks I have some weird hang up about needing her approval, which I prob do. But maybe I just won’t show her them this time. Or only show her one. 

@momoftoddlers I had tried to take some myself of DS to make my mom happy (chose the outfit she liked, etc.), but I just found I don’t have the lighting or camera or styling skills done well enough. I liked maybe one and I probably took 200 just trying to get one she’d like. Sigh.

@keeksie84 so I just used powerpoint (well, apple’s version: keynote) and pulled photos of outfits I liked from the internet onto it. I know I want a pink-ish knotted dress for little miss and then just looked at newborn photographers’ works for ideas for color schemes and clothing options. For DS and DH, I mostly used Old Navy. My dress is chicwish and DD’s outfit will either be louloubaby or caden lane.