February 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight: Keepsakes and Memorabilia

For this week, we're talking... Keepsakes and Memorabilia
  • Are you planning on making any keepsakes from pregnancy/birth/newborn stage?
  • Any memorabilia you plan to keep/display?
  • How will you store or display any keepsakes or memorabilia?
  • Anything else?

Re: Product Spotlight: Keepsakes and Memorabilia

• So with Bella I got a shadow box frame and put in a newborn picture of her in black and white. Then I put in her hospital bracelet and a stamp of her hand that they did at daycare. I will do something similar with Aria. She will go to a different daycare so I might actually do the hand stamp myself! 

I will say my daycare made about ten different craft projects the first year with hand and footprints, so we have a ton of them that just sit around. I need to get organized.
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• SwiftletSwiftlet member
    edited December 2019
    I’m really not a sentimental person but I did get a couple small shadow boxes (like 8x8?) on sale at Michael's when I got the one for my wedding invitation (almost seven years later, oops). So will probably do one for each of them with hand or foot prints, bracelet, picture? My coworker also got them each a hand carved wooden box with their name on it, not huge but enough to hold some things. Haven’t decide what the heck to do with them yet either although they’re adorable.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have not a sentimental bone in my body and hate clutter and stuff. The only thing I do is make sure every few months to order a few pics from Shutterfly and put them in an actual, physical photo album. I do get professional baby pics done/family pics, so we have that tentatively scheduled in Feb for a week after her due date, obviously subject to change if she comes early or late. 
  • They each have a baby book that needs updated 😬 
    I got clear plastic bulb ornaments for each kid and put our hospital bracelets, an ultra sound pic and hospital hat in. Sentimental enough and also only come out for Christmas. 
  • I bought a baby book from Polka Dot Print Shop (I actually get to see it today! It got delivered to my office Monday while I was out!) 
    Probably won't do anything else like a shadow box or anything. We're trying to keep down the "clutter" of things and the book is just enough so we have a nice place for her memories and photos! 
  • @babyroma - I would love to know what's on the inside...I've been looking at that one too. This is the other one I'm tossing up -- https://www.spearmintlove.com/memory-book-little-animal-lover/
  • @burr1371
    Here are most of the different types of pages! We added the holiday pages and some extra blank ones for more photos. 

• I kept DD's hospital bracelet somewhere.  I also made a cast of her footprint that we hang on the Christmas tree.  I kept a baby book for her first year too.  Oh, and I kept her coming home from the hospital outfit when I gave away newborn girl clothes.
    • Are you planning on making any keepsakes from pregnancy/birth/newborn stage? I’m a mess with this stuff- will definitely be framing photos and filling up the baby book.
    • Any memorabilia you plan to keep/display? Birth photos, newborn photos, U/S photos all get framed. Every scrap of paper, foot prints, etc I keep in the baby book.
    • How will you store or display any keepsakes or memorabilia? Baby book and framed on the wall. May also have some magnetic fridge frames full of baby photos...
    • Anything else? I’m a gross Mom and have a dehydrated umbilical cord rose in a bag from DS and a breast milk ring. Planning to have the same cord rose for this baby and get a breast milk necklace made.
  • @craftywitch what is a Dehydrated umbilical cord rose? I didn’t do breast milk jewelry for my first two but I think it’s a cool way to celebrate a milestone. I have a mom in my other bmb that had jewelry made.  she Had a nicu baby and pumped and was later able to nurse and she even donated an amazing amount of milk. 
  • @clee5711 I kept my placenta and had it incapsulated. The placenta lady who dehydrated it cuts the cord off and spirals it and dehydrates it too as a keepsake. It was neat to get to look at since in the moment things were kind of crazy. I put it in a little windowed pouch thing on my pumping bag to remind me that my body knows how to nourish a baby (regardless of the pediatrician suggesting supplementing).
  • @craftywitch that’s cool. I like how you kept the pouch on your bag as a reminder/motivator. 
  • I feel like we SHOULD do a baby book for #2, but we didn't really finish the baby book for #1, so I'm a bit torn. 
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• I was gifted a one line a day mother’s memory book with my first. It’s a lot of work but I really love having it to look back at now. This baby will be included in it in this next year. I do a family year book on Shutterfly every year as well. 

I never kept up with any other baby books. With the one a day I keep a note in my phone and just write down any one liners I come across from her. To me some days are boring, and some days she has so many one liners it cracks me up so to me it’s more important to not worry about the day and just have them included in the month. Takes out some of the stress too.