February 2020 Moms

FFFC

Haven't done one of these in a while! Let's hear 'em! 
TW
BFP 6/3/19 EDD 2/14/20 BFP 4/15/21 EDD 12/20/21
Diagnosed with PCOS & Hashimoto's

Re: FFFC

• I think that commercial "advent" calendars are stupid and only add to the commercialization of Christmas. 
  • Loading the player...
  • mandk1233 said:
    I think that commercial "advent" calendars are stupid and only add to the commercialization of Christmas. 
    Ok but like I really wanted this one but it was already sold out in early November 

That's a big fat nope from me. 😂
  • @mandk1233 I use to agree but now I want the HP one @daffodil_shoe and I did get the Disney and marvel book calendars on sale for $3 Each to use for the next two years or more if I remember to take the books away and put them back 
  • Yah @mandk1233 I’m not Christian so I couldn’t care less about the commercialization. I just love Harry Potter.
  • mandk1233mandk1233 member
    edited December 2019
    @daffodil_shoe that's the thing... Why are we calling them advent calendars when it has nothing to do with Jesus? 🤔😉

Also a lot of my Christian friends, including a pastor I know, are super into them and it just annoys me. Maybe more so this year because I am so hormonal. Or maybe the hormones are why this is bugging me period. 😏
  • @mandk1233 we bought some for our kids because they were 88 cents! Haha and it’s more for my son to recognize the day and how close to Christmas we are! But I agree that everything is a money grab these days!
  • @mandk1233 tea, they really shouldn’t be called advent calendars. More like a way for parents to try and stay sane with all the does Santa come tonight questions. 
  • Yeahhh I love “advent” calendars but we are not Christian and I actually attempt to have us celebrate Yule every year over Christmas lol. Someone should relabel them as Yuletide countdown calendars so I can buy more! (Knitting advent calendars are all the rage and I’m into getting a yarn present daily.)
  • @daffodil_shoe I know. Good old Catholics adapting their celebration to help convert pagans. 
  • @craftywitch, your comment about Yule made me want to share this. My students completed a Winter Holidays Around the World project. This group won the best trifold competition I had going.
  • The Disney calendar (24 books for $9.99 at Aldi back in November) has been a hit.  It's also helped with number recognition for my math-loving little girl.
  • Fellow non-Christian here :lol: my confession is that I took Bella to see a Christmas lights display in the neighborhood last night, it was really crazy with its own little radio station to sync up with the lights, etc., and one of the lights said "Keep Christ in Christmas". We've always celebrated it in a pagan manner and I was so pissed off I almost left. Luckily my daughter can't read yet and she did love it. 

Interesting because most of the lights were mickey mouse, etc., not super Christian?
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• @TennisLove30 That looks awesome!!!
    @leksiL I always think the Christ in Christmas thing is funny and want to hold up my own sign that says “Keep your Christ out of my Yule!” The nativity, virgin birth, and wise men are all Christian, but the trees filled with offerings, reindeer, elves, and magic are pagan AF...
  • @craftywitch - the nativity scene also used themes from the birth of the Persian God Mithras, who was born with lighting striking rock on December 25th, with shepherds watching. It's really cool to read about early religions and how they all borrow from each other.
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• I’m not religious in any way but the advent calendar is a huge part of Christmas for me. I’m 25 and my parents still pull theirs out every year. It’s a fabric reusable one and they fill it with starbursts. They’ve been doing that since I was a kid and if they stopped now I think I’d cry. The first thing I do when I go to their house during the holidays is catch up on my starbursts 😂