July 2020 Moms

Black Friday / Cyber Monday Deals

Find any good deals this year? Share them here! Bonus points if they’re baby related! 

I know this is technically early but some places already have some deals published!

Re: Black Friday / Cyber Monday Deals

• Thanks for starting! I wasn’t thinking of doing any baby shopping but now that the question has been raised I’m curious about the deals out there! As a FTM I feel pretty overwhelmed by All The Things so I don’t even know where to start with purchasing...
  • @rachelredhead yes, same!! I know other BMBs have some sort of product spotlight thing and I feel like we need one of those. There are SO many options! I know it’s super early but you can never be too prepared right 😂
  • Loading the player...
  • This isn't a deal, but for any FTMs feeling overwhelmed by all.of.the.things. I used this book as my bible with my first pregnancy! It has a great breakdown of literally every product you can think of, helpful tables comparing items, different price point recommendations, etc. There is soooo much information out there, and I was completely overwhelmed and didn't know how to make a decision when I knew nothing about babies and what they needed. I just ended up letting this guide my decisions, and I've been happy with all of their recommendations! There is a website too, but I didn't find it super user-friendly and preferred the book. It works in a pinch though! Book and website links below!

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Bargains-Secrets-Saving-strollers/dp/188939257X/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=baby+bargains&qid=1574697521&s=books&sr=1-2

https://www.babybargains.com/
  • @rachelredhead  I remember feeling really overwhelmed about baby stuff too with DS.  My SIL took us to the store and went through everything pointing out what we would use and what was really unnecessary.  She was on the money for most everything.  I would totally ask a friend of family member to do that if you have someone! 

I like the idea of product spotlight too and we should definitely do that.  I had so much help from my last BMB and I want to pay it forward.  

• Bonus points from me if the deal is a nice TV or washer/dryer :D I'll get the baby stuff later lol
  • Also, I just made a product spotlight since there seems to be interest in it :smile: 

And I'm going to put this in Randoms too, but I think Lucie's List was, hands down, the best with helping me figure out which brands I wanted for the big stuff. I like that it's a regularly updated online resource that has info on allll the things so, check it out. https://www.lucieslist.com/gear-guides/ 
  • +1 to Lucies List.  I still use it today, and my son is 2.  It just has such a range of products, and prices, as well as being frequently updated.  Its so helpful. 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • @blaf322 Best Buy has a 51 (I think, it's something over 50) in tv for $199 that I have my eye on, H and I have a tiny one on a stand that's like right at small human grabbing level which, even though that won't be for awhile, we'd like to both upgrade and be prepared.
  • @pocketrose Thanks for the head's up! I'll check out BB b/c I'm sure they have a lot going on! We have a 70something inch in there right now and I think we'll stay at that size or go a little smaller... but not much (b/c, media room).
  • These aren't essential or big ticket items or anything but Little Unicorn will be having I think 30% off and free shipping starting the 29th til the 2nd. They have nice swaddles and blankets in cute prints. 
  • @blaf322 Neat. I'm not a new mom but it's been more than 4 years since my last so while we do still have a lot of stuff left over I still need to get or replace a few things so that list will come in handy. Baby stuff changes so much too even in a few short years.
  • I broke down and bought maternity leggings and one shirt at Gap for 50% off. I figure it will take some time to get here, and I can always return it if necessary. At least I know I'll have something comfy to wear when I start showing!
  • @macb85 I really liked Gap's maternity clothes! 
  • Okay, I normally don't do the whole Black Friday thing BUT I got a little bored at my in-laws house and ended up lurking around on the Motherhood Maternity website. I ordered myself a pair of jeans, a top that will double as a nursing top, and a cute plaid dress.  I only spent $62 for those 3 items and got free shipping!
  • I'm pulling the trigger on the InstaPot, it's $49 which is just too good of a deal.
  • @pocketrose good call! We use ours all the time. We love it.

I got 2 huge rugs with premium rug pads for just under $500 on rugsusa.com. I think their BF sale is still going so check that out if you’re needing a rug!
  • @pocketrose loooove our instapot! Such a dream for quick meals. Pinterest is my go-to spot for recipes. 

I picked up some maternity leggings from Blanqi for 50% off. I’m also poking around Athleta because I love their sweater dresses and I feel like I could just order up a size and it would stretch with me.
  • I just bought a bunch of arts and crafts stuff.  Mostly to deal with anxiety.
    Current pregnancy -
    First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• @pocketrose I use my Instapot pretty often too!  I think it makes the best baked potatoes. 
  • @dancingtreepose how do you do your baked potatoes? I feel like maybe I could eat a baked potato.... maybe lol
  • I have an instapot and never use it.  Please send favorite recipes.  And feel free to start with the baked potato.
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• @laurad75 I have an AMAZING chicken and dumplings recipe. The prep work makes it a bit of a PITA/more of a weekend meal (unless you do the chopping and such in advance) but it's soooo delicious. I make a couple of swaps that make it WW friendly (things like breast instead of thigh an skim milk instead of half and half) but everyone agrees it's super delicious and doesn't taste diet at all.

For now, I give you this IP mac and cheese recipe... It's super quick and easy if you need a side for get togethers or something kid and adult friendly. I use regular milk instead of evaporated b/c that's what I always have on hand and it works just fine. https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-macaroni-and-cheese/
  • blaf322blaf322 member
    edited December 2019
    @laurad75 I also recommend using skinnytaste.com to find recipes. Here's the IP/pressure cooker section: https://www.skinnytaste.com/recipes/pressure-cooker/

Fair warning.... this one is super delicious, but you should probably go ahead and make it the slow cooker way or, I just make it in a pot and simmer for a while until the chicken cooks and it thickens up some. I get the burn notice on this one every. single. time. https://www.skinnytaste.com/chicken-taco-chili-in-instant-pot/. I haven't had that issue with any of her other IP recipes.
  • @blaf322 Thank you!
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• If anybody is interested, sneak peek is $25 off both on their website and on amazon. 
  • @blaf322 @laurad75
    Baked Potatoes:  Pierce your taters with a fork. Make sure you use the metal rivet and set your potatoes on it with 1 cup of water at the bottom.  (Use only 1 cup of water no matter how many potatoes).  Then set it on high for 14 minutes. Let it steam for as long as it needs to until the pressure valve releases. It takes 30-45 minutes total depending on how many potatoes you have in there. I think they have a really great texture, better than using an oven!  I've also done the same thing with sweet potatoes.
  • I second @blaf322 's Skinnytaste recipes and just Skinnytaste in general. I have three of her cookbooks! She has lots of stuff for the instant pot, along with modifications for if you want to make the food but don't have an instant pot.

FWIW, the Instant Pot is the only way I can make rice right. I'm a good cook but can never seem to quite nail rice. Instant pot gas taken care of that for me.
  • Re instant pot, I really want one but I also really want an air fryer. I noticed there is an instant pot/air fryer combo! But it’s kind of pricy. Does anyone have it? Or the ninja foodi? Or should I stop being extra and just get the regular instant pot? All weekend I’ve been eyeing the sales but haven’t pulled the trigger. 
  • I <3 my instapot.  I use it as a rice cooker more than anything else.
    Current pregnancy -
    First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• @zande2016 I feel like I wouldn't trust the combo. I'd go standard air fryer and IP. Also, air fryer FTW when heating up toddler foods. It's SO quick! (assuming your toddler also eats junk half the time and you're just lucky he's putting anything in his mouth like I am with DD lol)... we use the air fryer multiple times per week.
  • @blaf322 my 3 year old basically lives off chicken nuggets and fries. we have a countertop oven with a convection setting and we jack the heat up on it to cook toddler food really fast. i imagine the air fryer would be similar but even faster/better. 
  • @zande2016 Does your countertop oven have a pre-heat period? If not, then I'd just stick with that b/c an air fryer is basically just a countertop convection oven. The biggest benefit (and why we use it over the oven whenever possible) is that it doesn't have to pre-heat. Saves so much time.
  • @blaf322 yup it takes maybe 5 minutes to preheat. we got it for free from the company my sister works at, so i should just ask her to score us a free air fryer since i am pretty sure they make those as well. 
  • Here's my little Cyber Monday rant-  I ordered an Amazon Fire stick from Staples on Monday as it was 50% with free shipping. These thingys were on sale on many different websites (Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, etc) but I happened to go with Staples. Today (Wednesday) they email me to say my order was cancelled because they were out of stock.  I chatted with the salesperson and they were just like "sorry, but you can reorder it at full price later when it's back in stock".  I'm super annoyed. It's fine to have a popular item backordered but is it too much to ask to keep the same price as when I bought it? Now all the sales are over.  I know I'm being overemotional but I'm done with Staples 😠
  • @dancingtreepose that’s super unacceptable. I’d go on their FB page and post about it. Tag them in it. I bet they’ll DM you and fix the issue even when their customer service rep wouldn’t bc they don’t want to look bad on social media