February 2020 Moms

Delivery Recovery Hacks

huskervbfanhuskervbfan member
edited November 2019 in February 2020 Moms
Any tips/tricks you STM+s would love to share or any great ideas anyone has heard for an easier recovery after baby arrives.

Re: Delivery Recovery Hacks

• huskervbfanhuskervbfan member
    edited November 2019
    Hope I edited this discussion board correctly! 
    With the holidays coming up and time running out, I was wondering if there are any good recovery hacks I can get prepped at home such as ointments/lotions, cooling pads, etc.? I am not the most creative or crafty person (and usually not much of a planner....nesting??), but I know it will be better to have as much ready before baby comes than to try to make things after.
  • @huskervbfan You didn't do anything wrong but there was literally one thread just created today on it! I wonder if you change this to another thread? 

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12748409/c-sections#latest
    TW
    BFP 6/3/19 EDD 2/14/20 BFP 4/15/21 EDD 12/20/21
    Diagnosed with PCOS & Hashimoto's
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry @huskervbfan! I didn’t mean to steal your thunder but I wasn’t sure what else to do with my double post ha 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • @ibabyloveb87 haha absolutely no worries. I was still half asleep when I started it and didn't look to see if anyone else had so totally my bad. I'll go to the other
  • @huskervbfan Maybe let's update this thread to talk about vaginal birth FAQ? Like input on tips, tricks, meds or med free, recovery?
    TW
    BFP 6/3/19 EDD 2/14/20 BFP 4/15/21 EDD 12/20/21
    Diagnosed with PCOS & Hashimoto's
  • Okay, discussion is updated (and I really hope not too broad). 
  • Recovery was a lot easier/shorter with my second than my first but once my h went back to work and I was alone with both kids I was a bit sore again from lifting my toddler. 

Take extra mesh undies, giant pads, and ice packs from the hospital. Really take everything you can lol  I used the giant pads for the first like 2 days I was home and then switched to extra long pads I bought from the store. I kept a supply in our downstairs and upstairs bathroom. Ask for lanolin or whatever they have if you are nursing and start using it right away. 

I also bought a pack of cheap Hanes underwear to wear until after the bleeding went away. 

Ditto to always being hungry and thirsty. Snacks you can eat one handed are also helpful. 

FTM that are nursing get Netflix lol such a great time to binge watch and not feel guilty. 
    I really missed that the second time around lol 

Accept help from people or ask if you need something.  I used company as a chance to take a shower Or even a nap. I’d nurse, pump and leave a bottle so I can stretch my nap a little longer if my mom or MIl were over. Or I’d do that at night for my h to take the first shift when I was ready for bed. He is great at staying up late but not so great at middle of the night. 
  • Freezer meals for the win! Pinterest is a treasure for finding recipes.
  • I second the donut! I ended up with 3rd degree tearing and I don’t think I could have sat without it! It really was a lifesaver! And I don’t know how much it was but it was worth every penny! 

I used which hazel on an unscented pad every time I changed it and it really seemed to help! 

I also bought scented pads not knowing they were scented and wow did the irritate me! And don’t buy always overnight maxis! Yes they seem to hold lots but if you have stitches they actually pull at the stitches! 

Take baths anytime you can! Even if it’s just water and relaxing but I think you can add things to help with the healing but I never did. 

Accept the help! And take it as easy as you can! 
  • clee5711clee5711 member
    edited November 2019
    @daffodil_shoe omg how could I forget the Perri bottle, stool softeners and dermaplast! Vagina savers. I would even take the perri bottle in the shower to make sure things were cleaned up. 

The babyfrida mom washer bottle was the best money I have ever spent. it was recommended by a few people in my other bmb and I tell everyone now. The Angled nosel is a game changer. 

• +1 to so much of what has already been said. I did make padsicles and used (and loved) a few but didn’t use all the ones I made so don’t go overboard. I hated the mesh undies and giant pads from the hospital because they didn’t fit right and caused leaks. I will probably bring my own to the hospital in case I feel like trying them out. 

I bought the best pads. Super absorbent but also thin. They were Always Infinity pads. I also put a dark towel down on my light couch because I was afraid of leaks. Be careful when going sitting to standing, that’s often when I had gushes or leaks. 

Cold Tucks pads on top of a padsicle feels nice. 

I got a water bottle that I could be sure to open one handed so I could drink water while holding baby. 
  • The only advice I have that I don’t think has been mentioned already is to try to keep healthy and easy to grab snacks on hand otherwise you will end up binging on chips or whatever and feel terrible. And you will most likely already not be feeling so hot. 

Also, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Needing or wanting help doesn’t mean that you’re not a good mom. If you talk yourself into thinking that you should do it all you’re going to get burnt out. Along these same lines... another +1 for showering every day no matter what. 
  • +1 peri bottle- it burned to pee for a couple days even with no tearing. Also I kept my bottle and used it to wet cloth wipes for cloth diapering.

I also loved and swear by Earth Mama Angel Baby brand Mama Bottom Balm and Cooling Spray. You can buy them at Target. I believe the balm was witch hazel and the spray was cucumber. They were amazing and I used them both after each trip to the restroom for a couple weeks.

Also check in with your feelings about adult diapers/ mesh undies. I hated them and felt demoralized wearing them even though it was only a couple during labor. It was one of my biggest complaints that feeling embarrassed is something to be avoided during labor- nudity and screaming were fine, but adult diapers felt humiliating. I’m buying black Thinx extra heavy period panties in case I need them this time instead and my midwife said that’d be fine. (I bled a ton during labor due to cord having a tear from placenta.) I did regular underwear with overnight cloth pads exclusively PP and plan to do that again. It was really nice to feel like myself and see something pretty when I had to deal with that mess every couple hours.

+1 showering every day no matter what. Screaming babies are breathing babies and even if you have to let them scream on the floor to get it done, that 10 minutes is necessary. Taking care of Mama is not secondary, it’s vital to taking care of baby.
  • I have a question about witch hazel.  I've heard good things about it but I'm not sure what is the best way to use it.  Can you put it on a pad and then freeze it?  I know my sister loved using it on a cotton round but I was wondering which form/use gave the best results.
    Me:37 MH:37
    TTGP since 07/2017
    **TW** in spoiler
    DX: PCOS, anovulatory, AMA
    Femara X3: no response
    Clomid X3: BFN (cyst and thin lining)
    IUI (Dec '18) MMC
    IVF (April '19) 9 retrieved, 7 fertilized, 2 normal PGT-A
    FET 06/12/19 - BFP! EDD 02/27/20

• @mandk1233 absolutely don’t feel the need to be a walking stink pile. I showered basically everyday with DS. The first month or so it’s actually super easy because they sleep SO MUCH that skipping off for 10-15 minute is easy. 
  • @celticknotfire, I put witch hazel and aloe vera on pads and froze them (padsicles).  I think freezing it feels good because anything cold feels nice at that point.  Putting it on a cotton round would work too but it just wouldn't be as cold.
  • @celticknotfire I just put the witch hazel
    on my pad when I changed it. I didn’t try freezing them but I’m sure that would have been a nice feeling too! 
    I also second the always Infinity pads! They are so thin and discrete but they catch a lot! But I also liked the mesh undies and pads, seemed to work for me, but I know lots
    of people who didn’t like how big and bulky they were!
  • @daffodil_shoe Is it worth starting the stool softeners early or is that a recipe for a poopy delivery?
  • +1 for the showering every day. 
    Showering with a newborn is SO easy. Get yourself a little bouncy seat and put them in it outside the shower door. Keep the chair in the bathroom for when you need to go to the bathroom or get ready. 
    I never had a problem showering every day with my first. Showering with two little kids is a much more difficult feat bc they rarely nap at the same time. 
  • @clee5711 I always felt like showering with two while one of them is a baby is easy if you have a master bathroom on suite, put the two youngest in a bouncer seat like you said (or an excersaucer when they are older), and turn the tv on in the bedroom for the older one. Now when the baby begins walking all bets are off and you have to start showering at night lol
  • @doodleoodle yup. when my 2nd was content in the bouncer I’d wait till the oldest napped or set him up on my bed with the iPad. Once my second became mobile it has become so much harder! I wait for my h, put the youngest in the shower with me or am just thankful for dry shampoo. 
  • @daffodil_shoe I specifically remember pooping while pushing and I swear they had it cleaned up and the nurse was back to the pushing before I could even be embarrassed. 

Poop is Definitely NOT a big deal to anyone who’s worried about it! 
  • I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I preferred diapers over the mesh panties and pads. I bled A LOT and felt much more secure in the diapers. I had Always Discreet which fit just like granny panties and they were fantastic for sleeping. 

I also second everything that is being said about Perri bottles. Warm water is a must, but it was an absolute lifesaver. My hospital gave me one, but I think I'm going to buy a second one to keep in the bathroom downstairs. 

Also, I had a rolling bassinet which I would wheel into the bathroom whenever I took a shower alone with baby. Thankfully, she was always content to either sleep or lay quietly, but even if she had cried I was only a few feet away. 

• I didn't poop during delivery, and I want to say don't wish for that. The only reason is because I had horrible diarrhea at the onset of labor- like contractions sent my stomach/intestines spiraling out of control. By the time I was pushing my entire body had long been empty. Diarrhea during labor is not something I'd wish on anyone, although if you have IBS/IBD be aware this is a possibility and consider strategies for staying hydrated and protecting your furniture and rugs while laboring at home.
  • Depends were amazing for the first few nights! (Aka adult diapers) no shame there! Lol 

Also..I had made some padsickles ...they sounded like such an amazing and soothing idea, but omg I couldn't handle the cold! 
  • I also experienced vomiting and diarrhea prior to going to the hospital and while in labor. I was told by so many moms to eat before you go to the hospital because labor can last for a long time and they won’t let you eat. I regretted following that advice.
  • I still by my statement that poop will happen! The vast majority of women empty their bowels at some point during labor and/or pushing to make room for baby.
  • I have absolutely no idea if I pooped during labor. For all I know I did. Point being, if I did they clearly quickly cleaned me up and moved right along without issue. 

@misstree5, how did you know what size Depends to buy for your postpartum size? I struggled so much with what size postpartum granny panties to buy last time and I very much want to try Depends. 
  • @jvk2012 I know you specifically asked about Depends, but the Always Discreet sizing is very simple (as I imagine Depends are). It's S/M, L, XL, XXL. I found that the sizing was very similar to clothing sizes. They had a lot of stretch so I erred on the smaller size and was fine. Link to always discreet for reference: 

https://alwaysdiscreet.com/en-us/experience-main-section/about-always-discreet
  • @jvk2012 as stated above, the sizes were pretty simple, so I just went with the size underwear I usually wear, and it worked 

*Side note: my friend who had a c section LOVED them because they were so high wasted and didn't hurt her scar
  • @kiwi2628 the entirety of childbirth is so romantic. Haha