April 2020 Moms

November Appointments

What appointments do we have this month?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: November Appointments

• Just learned that I failed the glucose test yesterday. I’ll be taking the 3 hour on Monday when I go in for my elective ultrasound. This happened last time. Then I passed the 3 hour twice. My OB made me take it again 3rd tri. Was really hoping to avoid it this time because I hate the 3 hour test. Oh well. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Booooo @mercury94 that sucks! Because I have PCOS and had WLS, I can’t do the traditional test and have to do finger pricked monitoring twice during pregnancy. First round was fine so I’ll do it again around 26-28 weeks. What does the 3 hr test entail?

I have a level 2 a/s on the 13th with my MFM (hooray for advanced maternal age lol) and then my regular 20 week appt with my ob on the 20th.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have an OB appointment next Friday. I think it’s just a check in and to listen to the HB. Hopefully uneventful 

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020

• OB appointment in Tuesday. Should be a regular check in and to hear the heartbeat.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • OB appointment on 11/14 and ultrasound on 11/25. I'm also starting progesterone to prevent preterm labor next week, so I'll get to go in weekly for that. Hooray! :)

@mercury94 Sorry about the glucose test, that sucks!
  • mercury94mercury94 member
    edited November 2019
    @literatureandink I also have PCOS, which is why my OB makes me take it early (and twice). The 3 hour is the following:

1. No eating after midnight or drinking anything other than small sips of water. 

2. Blood draw at 8 am to get my fasting blood sugar and then I drink an extra big cup of the super sweet stuff. 

3. Still can’t eat or drink (my clinic let me have small sips of water last time, I’ve heard that some don’t) for the next 3 hours (and can’t leave the clinic). They do blood draws at 1, 2, and 3 hours to see how you metabolize the sweet drink. 

At this point, if you’re like me, you dig into the snacks you brought with you for after the test so you don’t pass out. Then you eat a nice lunch and go about the rest of the day. Also, make sure you don’t throw up the sweet drink or they make you do it again on a different day. The  first time I did it, I didn’t bring snacks with me and I have no recollection of driving home after the test. Ended up calling in sick because I got too lightheaded, but felt better quickly after I ate. The second time, I was prepared and it went much better. 

Edit because I suck at typing. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • @mercury94 that sounds bogus. I hope you pass with flying colors ❤️
  • I have a midwife check-in on Monday. Not sure what exactly to expect at this one, but I've come with some questions prepared. My guess is we'll just check my blood pressure etc?
  • @literatureandink @mercury94 I also have PCOS so I'm nervous about whether or not I'll pass the glucose test. Not sure if they'll have me do it early or not
  • @korthouse Hope they don’t make you take it early. Taking it twice is not the most fun. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • jenabaryjenabary member
    edited November 2019
    @mercury94 Ugh. Sorry you have to take the three hour glucose test. It sounds awful - I’m not really sure how anyone passes it!
  • I have my 20 week anatomy scan ultrasound scheduled for November 18th and another midwife appointment on November 27th! 
  • I have my anatomy scan and follow up appt on Nov 15!!
  • Is the 3 hour glucose test not normally done on everyone?? 

In Portugal where I live everyone has to do it... I'm not looking forward to it at all. If I don't eat something the minute I wake up, I'm puking 30 mins later. So I can't imagine I'll be able to pass... Maybe by then I won't be vomiting as much as I am now. 🤯🤞
  • @nicoleyolee I know some places in Europe do a 2 hour version. So, they skip the 1 hour and just do one test. In the US, everyone has to do the 1 hour at about 26-28 weeks. If you fail the 1 hour, which a lot of people do, they make you take the 3 hour. If you are high risk for GD (history if GD, obesity, PCOS, etc), many doctors in the US make you do an early screening 2nd tri (so it’s after the worst of the morning sickness) and then the standard on 3rd tri. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • @mercury94 sorry to hear about the test. I hope the 3 hour one goes well. 

We have a level 2 u/s on Nov 18 and then our 20 week apt on Nov 21. I’ve been telling everyone that the anatomy scan isn’t until after Thanksgiving so we don’t have pressure and can do some small gender reveal on Thanksgiving.  More importantly I just want a good u/s and healthy babies. 
  • @mercury94 Sorry about your testing. That glucose drink is awful and so hard to stomach
  • I have an appointment on Tuesday too. Just a regular monthly check up except I'll be getting the results my blood tests😊
  • Regular check-up on Wednesday and anatomy scan on 11/19. I feel like its been FOREVER since I've seen baby! Can't wait for the scan. My OB has only used the doppler since the NT scan.

Any tips for the anatomy scan? When I showed up for the NT the tech asked if I had a full bladder.  I had just gone to the bathroom :(
  • @liligirl87 The full bladder isn’t a bad idea. Maybe a little juice about a half hour before. It might get the baby moving. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • Monthly check-up went well today, despite being late from a subway shut down. Blood pressure is great, baby's heartbeat was strong and easy to find, and good ol ute is feeling to be the right size for this stage. I also let my midwife know about some family struggles that have come up with my Mum and it felt really good to get it off my chest to someone outside of it all. Hearing that heartbeat again also helped some of that melt away  <3

@liligirl87 Our anatomy scan isn't until first week of December and it feels forever away. I hear you on wanting to see baby again! 
  • @Kathryn0903 Yay for a great appointment! I also struggle with white coat hypertension usually and have been amazed that so far my BP readings have been normal (I do try to coach myself before I go in lol)!
  • @literatureandink I was surprised how good it was. I have to take my bp at home because of how bad it gets in the office. I remember last pregnancy getting sent for bloodwork because of how high it got.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mandarenee898 - so smart. Our scan is the week before TG and I WISH I had told people it was after...

• @danibean19 @mandarenee898 I definitely feel like I shouldn’t have told people when our ultrasound was. Lots of pushing to share before we do a reveal tonight. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • @danibean19 and @mercury94 I learned from our last pregnancy. My family knew what week but DH told his family the real date and then was bombarded with questions and he almost spilled the beans!  It was important to me that our parents knew first and we met my parents at a restaurant for lunch that was halfway between us (as my parents live 3 hours away). His parents live 5 min away so they were easy. I made cupcakes with colored frosting inside. 

This time I can just see myself giving everything away in one sentence.... and then telling DH in the next sentence not to tell anyone!!
  • @mandarenee898 Even in one day I’ve had moments where I almost said her name. Couldn’t keep it a secret very long. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • Hooray for a good appointment and negative testing @coaster102516 :-)
  • I had my anatomy scan on Tuesday, and OB appointment today. Everything looks good.  And we have stayed team green strong. 
    Add me to the list of white coat syndrome. I just try to take a lot of deep breaths before hand, and look away when my BP is being taken.  It’s a vicious circle worrying about it. 
  • Went for my anatomy scan today and feeling pretty bummed out. So many friends have told me that it was a great experience, they got to see every part of their baby on a big monitor and tons of photos. My tech didn't turn the screen to me at all and said she would show me at the end. Baby wasn't in the right position (despite 1.5 hours of prodding, jumping, cat/cowing, juice drinking, etc.) so we have to go back next week. No bad news I guess, as we didn't get any actual news, but I feel like the past few weeks haven't been the most fun and I really needed some positive reinforcement / motivation. Hoping for better next week and the ability to watch as the scan is being done.  :(
  • Our anatomy scan is 11/25 and I am soooo excited/nervous for it! I also can't wait to see that little baby... it's been a while <3
  • @liligirl87 That’s so weird that they didn’t let you see the screen. I’m sorry it was such a bummer. Our hospital has a screen that the mom can see at all times. I just assumed that was standard practice. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • Thanks @mercury94. I want to see if I can go somewhere else for the follow up or if I should ask for another tech. I don't want to be confrontational, but the more MH and I talk about it, the more we realize how rude the tech was and how badly we don't want to have the same experience for round 2.
  • @liligirl87 I’m so sorry, that doesn’t sound like a great experience at all. I would definitely call your doc or the office to tell them what happened and see what can be done for your followup 

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020

• @liligirl87 I agree with @mercury94 and @coaster102516  Typically they always let you see the screen, and most often I find that there is a monitor somewhere in the room specifically for mom/other visitors to see.  Definitely don’t hesitate to be assertive if you were denied the chance to see the screen and the tech was rude.

We had 2 appointments this month, both this week.  Monday 11/18 was our fetal anatomy scan and I’m so grateful our experience was wonderful - besides the fact that all looked well and healthy with both babies our tech was pretty awesome and was talking to the babies like “come on kiddo, move that hand so I can get your face”.   We then had an OB apt on Thur 11/21 and heard both heartbeats again and all was still well.   My fundal height was 31 and I’ll be 20 weeks tomorrow - it’s so weird being this big so early!!

• Had my 20 wk ultrasound and appointment today. Found out we're having a girl! They found 2 things on the ultrasound that they think will resolve, but of course I'm worrying. I have marginal previa and baby has a small cyst on the brain that should just be fluid. Anyone have experience with either of these? I'm getting another ultrasound in 5 weeks for a recheck.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • we had our anatomy scan yesterday and had the best time-- our tech (a 30 year ultrasound veteran) was incredible and explained everything we were seeing. amazing how baby is as big as a mango and yet we can measure and visualize all of those little organs!!! at our 13 week appt last month, they had noted a possible umbilical cord cyst (don't google it), so I was super relieved to hear back from the doctor today that the cyst was not found this time.