February 2020 Moms

C sections

ibabyloveb87ibabyloveb87 member
edited November 2019 in February 2020 Moms
I posted HDBD at the same time so I’m changing it to the CS thread @huskervbfan wanted to have. 

Here’s where we talk all things CS!! 
Me:33
DH: 34
Married: May 2011
TTC #1: May 2015
DS: 10/20/2016
TTC #2: June 2019
#2 EDD: 2/20/2020

Re: C sections

• My mom had a csection with my sister (they were estimating her to be 12-13lbs! She was barely 11, but still.) 
    She said the recovery from the CS was so much easier than when she gave birth to me and my brother (granted we were also big babies, between 9 and 10lbs) 
    I'm curious if that's normally the case?
  • Loading the player...
  • @babyroma that is so dependent on the person, and individual experiences. I’ve had moms crying and crying during recovery. I’ve had moms who can’t wait to get up for the first time, and we have the ask them to not push it too hard because they keep walking and walking.
  • My cesarean experience was a "gentle cesarean" since it was planned for breech presentation. Warning, I had a tough time. I have other friends who didn't need any pain meds after having a cesarean so my experience is not the rule.

My appointment was for 12:00. We got to the hospital around 10 a.m. to get settled in. I was not allowed to eat anything that morning. I got everything all unpacked in the room and changed into hospital gown. Anesthesiologist came to consult with me. DH put on his surgical robes and shower cap, and mask. I walked down to the OR which was only a few doors down. It was really nice to have fuzzy non-slip socks BTW. I was brought in alone for the insertion of the spinal thing. DH could see through the door. I was strapped to the table and blood pressure readings tightened on my arm every few minutes. The anesthesia had morphine in it which made me dry heave. That was the most unpleasant part of the procedure. I was scared and uncomfortable. I could not feel a thing, did not feel any pressure that they did warn about. I had a clear drape taped to a solid drape. This way when they brought the baby in I could see, in theory. I was too busy dry heaving and due to the angle I did not actually see anything, but DH did. They brought baby to the scale, etc, and DH got to cut the cord. They took pictures which was nice. They wrapped the baby and immediately brought her to do skin to skin and started with the breastfeeding. I was completely out of it between the nausea and reaction to the drugs and there was no euphoria or anything that people talk about when the baby is born. My husband was another story, he held my hand the entire time until DD came out and then his entire focus shifted to her LOL. I was glad someone was focused on her. 

I could not move my legs for a long time after that and they had this machine that increased pressure to my legs to keep the circulation going. That night every part of my body, even my eyeballs, itched. There was so much beeping in the room I couldn't sleep. It was a really awful first night for me. I also couldn't feed my daughter without them taking her bloodsugar for thirty minutes beforehand (she was very very small). She would fall asleep nursing and nursed a lot. Later they said well you should keep her awake don't let her fall asleep - it would have been nice if they told me that before instead of acting like I was a simpleton for not knowing. I needed a lot of pain meds for recovery. I could not sit up alone. Removal of the catheter made me scream in pain. I needed support walking and when I left the hospital two days later I was doubled over the whole time (I can't believe they let me leave) but I hated the hospital so much. I couldn't care for my baby much for the first few days and was on Percoset for 10 days. They gave me a really hard time about renewing my Rx. I also had baby blues and was just a hot mess for the first few weeks. 

Other tips:
    - Have large bottles of tylenol and ibuprofen at home. 
    - Get the support wraps, they really do help
    - Get granny panties and nightgowns, I couldn't wear anything with a waist for awhile
    - Make sure you have a lot of support for the first week.
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• I am not going to repost what I did in the other discussion only because I have rethought about things and feel I have better questions now. Does anyone have experience or has anyone heard whether a scheduled C section is an easier recovery (physically and/or mentally) than a C section after trying to deliver vaginally? 
    Also, I would really like to hold my child after (I mean, we did just care for and sacrifice for 40 weeks), but my SIL said with her first C section, she didn't get to really even touch her daughter until an hour after she was born. Can they allow you to hold your baby? Or are they afraid your arms won't be able to?
  • @huskervbfan I mean generally you may feel more tired if you’ve been in labor for quite a while and then go for a csection. Especially if you’ve pushed for a few hours, you may be super exhausted. One time we had to do a vaginal repair after we closed skin from the section. 

Talk to your provider about your concerns about holding kiddo. At my hospital, we initially take baby to the warmer to suction them out (csection babies don’t get the “squeeze” to clear their lungs like in a vaginal birth), and to get vitals and measurements. Then baby is wrapped up and momma can hold baby. Then dad holds baby while we get mom cleaned up and transferred to the recovery bed. Then mom takes baby back to hold for the ride to her room.
  • @huskervbfan - I mean they put the baby on you after they make sure the baby is ok, but since your arms are strapped to the table you aren't really "holding" the baby so to speak. For me they put the baby under my gown and held her there for me. DD was born at 12:40 and my picture of me holding her in my arms for the first time is at 1:15. 
    Married Jan 2008 

• daffodil_shoedaffodil_shoe member
    edited November 2019
    @leksiL at my hospital we only strap arms down if mom is under general anesthesia. 
  • leksiLleksiL member
    edited November 2019
    @daffodil_shoe - I'm sure they have different practices at different hospitals. I hated having my arms strapped. I hope I don't have another cesarean, but if I do my doula says my new hospital is much gentler and described much better practices (despite all the advertising my old hospital made about being so "gentle")
    Married Jan 2008 

• ibabyloveb87ibabyloveb87 member
    edited November 2019
    @huskervbfan it appears scheduled CS make for an easier recovery than one after you’re tired (like mine) but I’m sure it’s different for everyone. 

I’d ask your OB/hospital what their policy is on time with baby immediately after. We do not get skin to skin right after but I think some hospitals do allow some. 
  • @daffodil_shoe can you comment on twin sections? I want whatever is best for babies, which my OBs feel is vaginal. Twin A is head down like she should be but twin B is breech and much larger than her (at least right now). Having a “mixed” delivery sounds like the worst possible scenario and really the only one I feel strongly against, haha. Sounds like the idea is that if twin A can pass, twin B should be able to be flipped either by people beating on my abdomen or by pulling him out backwards. But the size discrepancy worries me. Thoughts/experiences?
  • I didn’t have a planned c-section per say, but my experience was very similar to @leksiL
    except my arms weren’t strapped. 

My csection recovery was BRUTAL, but once I recovered I recovered. My VBAC recovery was... different. Not nearly as painful, but my pelvic floor hasn’t fully recovered. 
  • @Swiftlet we have had a few successful twin vaginal deliveries (I’ve never been fortunate enough to witness). When this happens, we actually deliver in OR in case something goes south fast. But we only do this if both twins are in good positions. I agree recovering from a vaginal delivery as well as a csection sounds awful!

A footling breech vaginal delivery is not ideal. Yes it’s possible, but scary. We don’t do them. Our docs are usually willing to do a version (externally turning the baby) in a singleton delivery, but we also do that in OR in case things go south. I haven’t seen a version done with twins.

As for sizes, that depends on your anatomy. I’ve seen a woman vaginally delivery 11lb3oz. I’ve seen women push for hours and can’t get out a 7lb baby. 
  • @Swiftlet a mom in my May18 bmb had twins vaginally. One was head down but face up and needed a little vacuum assist and one was breech with feet first . The dr was able to deliver both and she only pushed for 23 minutes total. The boys were born 4 minutes apart. A few stitches were needed and overall she recovered easily. (I just went back on our Facebook group to double check the details) 
  • My csection was similar to @ibabyloveb87. My water broke but no contractions so I was induced to start the labour. I laboured for about 16 hours, dilated to 10 and pushed for 2 hours. My DS’s head was tilted and stuck so I opted for a c-section. My experience was fairly good. I already had a catheter and epidural in so didn’t have to have that done. The nurses, doctors and anesthesiologist were awesome! I remember being so mad at the nurses for making me get up and walk around! I was so sore but it really does help!
    Also as a heads up, the blood pools while you are laying down and when you stand the blood with leak! Everywhere! Lol maybe that was my own experience! The recovery was actually alright! Tender but Advil and Tylenol did the trick! 
    I had a VBAC with my DD and ended with 3rd degree tears! That recovery was tough! The 3rd day after delivery was the worst! It hurt to sit, or walk! But in the end it was okay! I don’t know which I “prefer” but at least I could lift after the VBAC!
  • @kbrinks2 and @doodleoodle - congrats on getting VBACs! Are you going for them again? I am going for my first and doing spinning babies exercises daily so hopefully this one is right side up. There are no breech providers at all in my area.
    Married Jan 2008 

• @daffodil_shoe @clee5711 thank you both for your input :) my friend delivered her twin boys vaginally but I think both were in the proper position. I still have time for baby B to flip but if it isn’t happening I think I’d lean heavily toward scheduling a c section just to take the uncertainty out of the situation. We’ll see!
  • @Swiftlet I agree with @clee5711, I know of one person who delivered twins vaginally in this situation. First baby came out fine, second baby was born feet first. Doctor just went in there and pulled. I believe she delivered at 33/34 weeks.
    TTC#1
    10/2018: MFI (2 SA under 9 million/ml)
    11/2018: HSG shows right Fallopian tube slightly damaged 
    1/2019: Husband diagnosed with grade 3 varicocele
    4/05/2019: varicocele repair surgery
    6/13/2019: BFP!!! EDD: 2/22/2020 <3  Baby girl born 2/27/2020
    7/18/2019: Total Motile Count at 3 months post surgery = 51 millions!! (number must be >20 millions to conceive naturally).

TTC #2
    9/07/2021: BFP - CP: 9/10/2021
    10/07/2021: BFP - CP: 10/23/2021
    12/23/2021: BFP! EDD: 08/31/2022

• @Swiftlet if your doc is comfortable delivering footling breech and you’re comfortable with it, then go for it. It’s just not a risk I personally would be willing to take, knowing the risks of cord prolapse and head entrapment.
  • @daffodil_shoe and @Swiftlet isn't it much too early in our pregnancies to be worried about babies' position? Can't twins flip around even during labor?
    Married Jan 2008 

• TennisLove30TennisLove30 member
    edited November 2019
    My c-section was not planned. I was induced, spent 26 hours in labor, and never progressed past 8 cm. Toward the end I had a fever of 103 and my daughter’s heart rate started to go down. She had also been head down for weeks, and in those final hours flipped sideways. 

For me, the c-section was awful. I was sweating out a fever, and the anesthesiologist debated whether to put me under or not. But, he didn’t want me to miss those first moments with my daughter. I was so out of it that I almost broke the barrier with my arms. They had to strap them down. It was extremely traumatic, and contributed to my PPD. I was also in a baby friendly hospital that didn’t use a nursery for healthy babies. So, after labor and the c-section, they put the baby in our room and pretty much left. On like night three, my husband was so exhausted he couldn’t keep his eyes open. I told him to give me the baby and sleep. A few hours later a nurse came in to me sobbing with my daughter in my arms because I was so tired. She took pity on me and took the baby to the nurses station for an hour and a half. 

I became extremely constipated, so this time around I’m taking stool softeners to the hospital with me. 

I actually told my husband last night that I was terrified of having another c-section, even though I know it’s scheduled and will be different this time. I just have so much fear from the first time. 
  • doodleoodledoodleoodle member
    edited November 2019
    @leksiL I do plan on going for another VBAC as long baby isn’t breech. My providers don’t know how to deliver a breech baby either. While scheduling a section would be nice childcare wise, the recovery coupled with having a preschooler and toddler that won’t know to be careful with my incision site and will want to be carried would not be my first choice.

ETA that I didn’t get an epidural and that being able to get out of bed when I wanted to, and not having to deal with the itchiness made for a much nicer hospital stay.
  • @TennisLove30 oh I am definitely asking for no LC this time. I don’t wanna hear it since I’ve decided to not BF. 
  • SwiftletSwiftlet member
    edited November 2019
    @daffodil_shoe I'm glad I'm understanding that breech extraction isn't the easy-breezy situation they make it sound like. All the things I read are basically like, "And then they just pulled out baby #2 backwards, the end."
    @leksil Definitely early! However, I don't want to deliver twin A vaginally and then twin B is still breech in there and not moving into place like he should and then have to have the second by Csection! I'd rather have a planned C section if he isn't properly positioned by the time I get closer to "term".
    @TennisLove30 a friend of mine had a traumatic Csection as well. She's going to try for a VBAC this time but apparently this baby is also measuring huge which was why she ended up needing the CS last time. I can only imagine the angst of the situation with your previous experience, ugh <3
  • @leksiL I am going for another VBAC. To be honest I didn’t do a lot of research into it the first time around. I just decided I would try and if the doctors or I felt the need for a csection then I would get one! I tend to stick my head in the sand lol 
    I also have an almost 4 year old and almost 2 year old and no family within 2800kms so I need to be able to lift my 2 year old 
  • @ibabyloveb87 I will be asking for no LC again as well. 

@Swiftlet, I found out very early in this pregnancy that I can’t even give birth vaginally because my cervix is too narrow. My doctor literally said, “a baby isn’t getting through that.”
  • I had an emergency  csection with my first. I was induced around 7am. After 12 hours of labor that included 2 hours of pushing she still hadn't arrived. Her big head and my narrow pelvis were not a good mix. She was stuck and going into distress. I opted for the csection at that point. I remember pressure bit that was about it. I got to hold her within 20 minutes of being put back together. Honestly, my recovery wasn't bad and I was up and walking around as soon as possible. Definitely hurt to laugh or cough for a few weeks but my recovery was really smooth. I'm opting for a csection again this time mostly because I don't want to go through labor again if it is just going to end up the same way. 
  • @TennisLove30 - I'm sorry you had such a difficult time too. I hope the planned RCS goes smoother. I wonder if they can give you anything for the anxiety? When I had lasik they gave me something for that. Are you switching providers? It sounds like we should also go deliver at @daffodil_shoe 's hospital it sounds really nice.

Our old hospital while "baby friendly" would take the baby away so you could get some rest. When they did I instantly regretted it felt super guilty and worried about her. I think if the nursery was the norm at the hospital you would feel less guilty about it. I haven't looked into whether our new hospital has a nursery - we should sign up for the hospital tour soon.
    Married Jan 2008 

• @TennisLove30@leksiL mentioning something about anxiety reminded me. I am going to ask our anesthesia team if I can have something, and also about being proactive about my BP dropping with the spinal. I think they should be able to combat both knowing about my experience last time. I get to meet with one of them ahead of time. Do you get the same opportunity? I’d definitely ask. 
  • @ibabyloveb87 BP dropping from the spinal is extremely common. Just let anesthesia know the moment you feel slightly nauseated so they can give you something quickly.
  • @leksiL, I’m with the same provider. My doctors are actually amazing. Other than not having a nursery, the hospital is great. I just had an awful birth experience. I’m hoping since it’s a RCS, I’ll have a much better experience. I will have to ask about something for anxiety. That’s a really great idea. 
  • I had a scheduled C-section and will have another this time.  I don't have any perspective on labor or an unplanned C-section, but I can tell you that I loved my planned one.  We set an alarm in the middle of the night to have a final meal, since it would be a while before I'd get to eat again.  At 1:00 the next day we went to the hospital and I awkwardly rang the doorbell to the delivery area.  When they answered, I said "Um, I'm here to have a baby?" The detailed order of events posted above was spot on.  Recovery was a lot easier than my other major surgery (bowel resectioning) so that may be coloring my view a little.  I've heard that my hospital now offers the clear curtain, which sounds neat.  I just hope I don't get sick at the sight of anything.  (I'm not in the medical field for a reason!)
  • My first c-section was a true emergency. Baby flat lined and was out in 2 minutes. My 2nd and this one are planned. I have to get them because of how I was cut internally or something. I wish I didn't have to, but it is what it is. I had a good surgery/recovery, I just hate this surgery. Lots more pain in the hospital with my 2nd (planned). I'm currently in therapy because I am a nervous wreck over this (also why I haven't been very active here). 
    My advice is to take it slow, take your pain meds, get a step stool for the bed. 
  • @jennv0701 I’m guessing because of your situation, your surgeon did a “T” incision (imagine an upside down T) instead of the normal low transverse “_”. We really try to avoid them since it means future VBACs are out of the question (risk of uterine rupture is higher), but obviously getting baby out very fast is more important when they are having prolonged decels. I’m sorry you had to go through that.
  • Thank you. No T incision, but I'm not sure what the deal is with my internal scar. They said that was the issue. When she started to explain it to me I started sweating and panicking so she stopped lol. One day I'll ask for my records to read.