Infertility

Introduction. New to this. 41 and TTC (Children mentioned; losses mentioned)

Hello,

I am very new to this and I'm finding that the TTC journey through intervention is moving pretty quickly. This is our first month of talking to an RE. We have two children and I have had two confirmed miscarriages in between them. I had my son at 35 and my daughter at 38.  

I am now 41; turning 42 in December and we are doing a bunch of tests in what appears to be a rapid ride to IVF. In the previous year and a half, we have been TTC and I have had 4-6 unconfirmed early losses in which I've had implantation symptoms, a very early period and then a wonky 19 day cycle afterward (32 is the norm for me for several years.) 

Today was my day 3 test of my ovarian reserve (AFC of 37). I start Clomid this weekend and I have the HSG coming up next week. I am not at all fond of invasive examinations from a range of uncomfortable experiences with my losses (hospital visit post D&C after a MMC in 2012 and exam during a loss in 2015) and also from induced labor in which everyone and their mom in the hospital needed to examine me while on Cervadil (makes your vagina feel like a skinned knee). 

I'm starting to feel like I'm not ready for the HSG but I'm having mixed feelings. I would like the tiny boost that often comes following the procedure and I'd like to be ready to do IVF in the event that it is necessary but part of me wants to wait until next cycle and see how we do with Clomid. 

Should I just do all the tests I need and be ready or does it make sense to wade in a little more slowly? TIA for advice.
MMC 02/16/12
DS1 05/03/13
Natural MC 10/01/14
DD1 01/08/16

Re: Introduction. New to this. 41 and TTC (Children mentioned; losses mentioned)

• Hello dear, just here to give you a  bit of support.  I believe you should wait until you're ready - no use hurrying things up.  But of course, trust in your RE, and listen to what he or she has suggested.
  • Hi! Like you, I found our IVF journey to take off at lightning speed. I had mentally prepared myself in the months leading up and jumped in head first but it was still overwhelming at times. My advice is if something feels too forced table it for later. I also have a child conceived without fertility treatments and think that added to the stress and fear of the process. Best of luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Like what the previous posters said, if you want to wait and see how you respond to clomid, you should do that. But personally I’d get all the tests done early so I’d have a better idea of what I’m up against. The tests however may not point to any problems. In my case, I was considered unexplained infertility, and it was a process of elimination (TI didn’t work, IUI didn’t work) that ultimately lead to IVF. So it ended up being a slow process, and finally after 3 years of ttc, I got my very first BFP. Hoping your journey is a short one!
    Me: 41  DH: 46
    Unexplained infertility/AMA, polycystic ovaries, insulin resistance
    FET#1(July 2017): eSET of first of 4 PGS-normal embryos, DS born 3/30/2018
    FET#2(Oct/Nov 2019): eSET  
  • @nken20 thank you; I just caught this comment. I decided to wait and see what happens with Clomid. I had an early BFP two days ago but my symptoms have subsided. I’m considering straight to IVF if needed.
    MMC 02/16/12
    DS1 05/03/13
    Natural MC 10/01/14
    DD1 01/08/16
  • @k_mama91 please let me know how IVF is going for you. Thanks for the support.
    MMC 02/16/12
    DS1 05/03/13
    Natural MC 10/01/14
    DD1 01/08/16

• @cashewchicken I’m so happy for you that you’ve had a BFP. I hope things are going well. Thanks for your comments.
    MMC 02/16/12
    DS1 05/03/13
    Natural MC 10/01/14
    DD1 01/08/16
  • @Skk1977 I hope your bfp sticks and you find success with the clomid! As for me, Clomid didn’t work, we were dealing with male factor and one mostly clear tube. I skipped IUI and opted for IVF due to our particular issues. As I said things took off quickly and *trigger-we got a bfp on our first round-end trigger* Everyone’s bodies are different and we all handle IF differently but in my case I found it to be easier than I had anticipated. Keep us updated! 
  • Glad you are still keeping at it.  I guess that's how it is with us, trial and error sometimes.  keep us updated?  just so you know I had mine done overseas so it is cheaper, I'm here in case you need help on that department.  Good luck!
  • Skk1977, it's been a while. How are you doing now? Did the IVF push through? Please update us. Thank you!