May 2020 Moms

Baby Car Thread

Let’s talk cars for anyone who is needing an upgrade because of baby or babies 😉 Feel free to discuss your current car and if/how it works for car seats, and ask questions about any vehicles you may be interested in. FTMs this is a great place to ask if anyone has had experience with car seats in your current vehicle if you have questions. 

Re: Baby Car Thread

• Currently driving a Ford Edge. The kids are in a Graco Nautilus and a Graco Tranzitions. Right now they're both on the outside seats and there is room in the middle for someone to sit. It's tight but not uncomfortable. I'll move DS to the middle (Edge has shoulder belts on all 3 seats) and put baby behind the driver. I'm short and have the seat up enough when I drive that it'll work. My ultimate goal is to have a minivan again.  
  • @thepretzelchick do you have a minivan preference?
  • Loading the player...
  • Ugh, I so needed this thread. I currently have a Jeep Grand Cherokee. DS and DD are both in Britax convertible car seats. The twins will each be in a Peg Perego. MH is pushing hard for a Suburban. But I'd be the primary driver and I really didn't want something enormous. On the other hand, when we visit family, we'll have two pack n plays, and multiple suitcases, and other baby gear. Seems like a Suburban would store the most. And I really didn't want a minivan. I can't wait to see what you ladies are doing! 
  • We ended up with the Dodge Grand Caravan. I wanted third row because we will have a backless booster, FF 5pt harness and infant seat come May. The third row SUVS didn’t appeal to me unless they had captains seats for easy access, but then storage space felt compromised. The Caravan has one tether for third row and two for the captains seats which will work for our current situation. I know a lot mini vans don’t offer more than 1 tether in the third row which is something to consider if you have multiples in 5pt harness seats.

Pros: Sliding doors are great for independent kids, stow n go for both second and third row, great storage options and cargo space, overhead DVD player and gas mileage has been great so far.

Cons: Only 3 tether options. That’s really all I can think of. 🤣😂
  • @mdfarmchick Not really. I'm not super picky when it comes to vans. Our last one was a Dodge Grand Caravan and it served its purpose to get us cross-country, then we traded up to more economical vehicles. My girlfriends have Odysseys, Pilots, and Town and Countrys, so one of those would be the dream, but again I'm not picky. My only necessity is doors that close at the touch of a button.
  • We have a Chevy Equinox and a Chevy Volt. I'm not sure the car seats are going to fit in the Volt, so the Equinox might be the de facto car for toting around the twins. It's got pretty good cargo space and isn't enormous, which is what I wanted. I'll update when I get to try car seats in both cars!
  • Anyone have any experience with a Ford Fusion and car seats/is it a good size for a family? This is our first child so will just be the three of us. 
  • lea-v3lea-v3 member
    edited October 2019
    @ruby696 I have a suburban. Moved up from our tahoe. It's not that much different. It turns surprisingly well and with all of the back up cameras and sensors they put in these days, I haven't had any issues. We have captains chairs in the second row which I highly recommend. You can only seat 7 instead of 8, but the kids can walk between the seats rather than having to move a car seat to flip the second row bench forward to load people. 
  • Just got a Honda Odyssey a few weeks ago and love it! We’ll have a 4, 2 and baby so the sliding doors and fitting 3 car seats across is a must. I had a Toyota Corolla so I needed to upgrade for sure. I never thought I’d own a mini van but it’s nice and lots of storage 
  • Does anyone drive a Chevy traverse?
    #1 DS 12/13/14
    #2 DD 7/1/17
    EDD 2/29/20 MC 7/19/19
    #3 EDD 5/29/19
  • @Amyface813 We have a 2017 Traverse, and I love it! My DD was in the chicco keyfit30 for an infant seat, and is currently in the chicco nextfit max.
  • We bought a Chrysler Pacifica back when baby #2 was on the way. Hands down our favorite vehicle we've ever owned.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We have a Honda hrv that has worked really well with one kid but with number two coming I'm on team minivan. My husband hates the idea though.
  • LinsbinsLinsbins member
    edited October 2019
    Anyone have any experience with a Ford Fusion and car seats/is it a good size for a family? This is our first child so will just be the three of us. 
    Dh has a Fusion from his work. We had a Graco baby seat and now a Graco 4ever turned forward. Fit great with all of them. Dh will only be getting a different car because they are not making the Fusions anymore (or ending soon? Something like that) so his work is switching them over. We are happy with it. He wants a bigger car but I don’t see the need, even with number two on the way. The trunk is big too.
  • We have a Dodge Durango. If anyone is looking for a three row SUV I definitely suggest test driving a few because I like them a lot compared to some of the others. Also, for 3 rows, it’s nice to have the 2nd row with captains chairs if you have a dog or have/plan on having 3 kiddos. My plan for the three is to have DS1 & DS2 in the way back in their car seats, fold one captains seat down semi-permanently, and the other one for the baby. It’s the only way I can think of getting them all in/out somewhat efficiently. 
  • With DS we had a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited with 3rd row and a 2012 Mazda 3.  The Santa Fe was so great that we traded it in at 10 years old (no major issues) for a new 2017 Santa Fe.  I love the new one even more.  It's our main family car, and we frequently drive 3+ hours in it to visit family with all our stuff, DS, and the pup.  With LO #2, we will likely need to add a clam shell storage container to the top for long trips, but should still work out.  We've fit 5-6 people plus a stroller for short trips.  The Mazda 3 did not work out.  I tried to make it work for as long as I could to avoid 2 car payments, but once we had the car seat in, I couldn't fit anyone in the passenger seat, so they would have to sit behind the driver's seat if I ever had to drive someone else.  I'm tall, so there just wasn't enough back seat room for a car seat and someone in the seat in front of it.  I sold it and am now leasing a Crosstrek, which I love.  I'll have to make it work with two until at least Jan 2021 when my lease is up, but I don't see that being an issue.  It has plenty of space for someone in front with a car seat behind.  I might have to flip DS to FF and put him on the driver's side when the baby comes, but he'll be 3.5 and hopefully over 35 lbs by then.  I have a Chicco Keyfit 30 infant seat and a Graco 4Ever convertible.  
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• I have a 2013 Kia Sportage EX and DH has a 2008 Kia Spectra. We are both shorter and have DD behind the drivers seat rear facing, at first in the Chicco Keyfit 30 and now in the Graco 4Ever. It works out fine because we both can get 2 passengers comfortably and 3 if absolutely needed. Like I said, we are short so the car seat and probably any car seat fits great. If we were tall it would probably be more difficult.

Right now we have no car payments and are trying to hold off on an upgrade for another couple years. We will be stopping at 2 kiddos so car seat fit shouldn't be an issue. By the time we switch the baby to a convertible seat we will probably switch DD to forward facing. DH is getting the next car upgrade and he goes back in forth between a car or a truck, so I have no clue what he will choose. I really want a van when it is my turn to upgrade, I am pretty sure I will go with the Honda Odyssey, although by that time maybe there will be other options. I think a van will be great once the kids start getting older and have friends we need to tote around too.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• We have a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe (not with a third row like shamrocandroll) and a 2012 Chevy Silverado with the extended cab that’s nice and roomy. My car is the Santa Fe and has 150,000 miles on it and will need to be replaced in the next 2 years anyway so we’re looking into similar vehicles but just bigger with a third row (Toyota Highlander, GMC Acadia, now Subaru Ascent because of this thread).
    DH and I are both tall and cannot fit a RF car seat behind the driver and I would like to keep DD rear facing until she’s in high school 😂 I think we’ll just move her to the middle back seat and put baby behind the passenger but I honestly don’t know if that’ll work. 
  • @mokay19 I would check out the Santa Fe Limited too!  We seriously love it!  We're also both tall, but with the middle row bucket seat pushed back all the way, we can still fit DS RF behind either the driver's seat or passenger seat, I think (I have to try it to double check, but it feels too early for that).  In my Crosstrek, I might have to turn him around, though.  I guess it all depends on his weight gain in the next 6 months.  He's hovering around 34 lbs now and can RF until 40.  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @shamrocandroll yea, my DD is skinny so she’s only 26 lbs and 36” tall. I know we could turn her because of her age, but if I have the option to continue RF then I would like to. I’m going to search the Santa Fe Limited now!
  • Everyone has great input on space, but what about other features?  Those that already have kids, is there a feature you can’t live without or one you wish your vehicle had?
  • @pirateduck Yes!  One feature I never thought to look for that I now cannot live without is built in rear window shades!  Our Santa Fe has them and they are THE BEST!  Also, seats that fold completely into the floor.  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @pirateduck having vents in the back for our DD is key! Not sure where you live, but we're in the midwest and it can get pretty hot in the summer so I'm glad she can get air flow on her more directly.  

Also like @shamrocandroll said our traverse doesn't have the window shades, but after being in some friends cars that do I'm putting them on my list for our next vehicle hopefully! 
  • Thank you ladies!  My car has tinted windows in the back, but not the shades.  I can see where added vents, or dual climate controls could definitely be a bonus, but not something I would have thought of.

Does anyone drive a small/economy car with a child?  We're thinking about buying another vehicle that is good on gas as a daily driver to use instead of my SUV all the time.  We will only have one child/one car seat.
  • @pirateduck I had the Mazda 3 for about a year with DS.  It worked fine for when it was just him and me, but I couldn't really fit any other passengers.  I'm tall and his seat wouldn't fit in the back without either the passenger or driver's seat moved all the way up.  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @pirateduck I have both the boys in the VW Jetta. No one has complained about sitting in the front seat with the car seat rearfacing behind it but we are all pretty average... and less than 6’. I like it but it was a big adjustment for me from the Navigator. 😝
  • @pirateduck I drove a Prius with DS1 and DS2 for three years. It’s definitely doable. DS1 was in a FF 5pt harness and DS2 was RF in a bucket seat and then a 5pt harness. The leg space up front was limited for my husband, but he could still drive comfortably enough. It also held our smaller stroller and groceries fine. 
  • Currently have a Hyundai Sonata with two littles and a dog. I’d love to get a minivan for #3’s arrival but not sure if we can afford it. According to some blogs I can cram 3 across if I have to. If we do end up with a minivan I’m thinking a used Kia or dodge. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Everyone has great input on space, but what about other features?  Those that already have kids, is there a feature you can’t live without or one you wish your vehicle had?
    Backup camera! I will not buy another vehicle without it. My kids are usually in the car with me but we are always at daycare or other activities with little kids running around and it's a huge fear of mine to back into someone. We also have a long narrow driveway and no way to turn around. We live just down the street from an elementary school and we have a lot of people walking around. I have lost the ability to back up in other vehicles though :).
    #1 DS 12/13/14
    #2 DD 7/1/17
    EDD 2/29/20 MC 7/19/19
    #3 EDD 5/29/19
  • mamaqdubu This is my plan. We don't have a dog but it makes sense to be able to just snap baby in a have the two older ones sit in the way back. DS will be 5 pretty soon and he can buckle himself in but DD still will need some help for a few years yet.
    #1 DS 12/13/14
    #2 DD 7/1/17
    EDD 2/29/20 MC 7/19/19
    #3 EDD 5/29/19
  • @Amyface813 yesss 100% agree with the backup camera!
  • @Amyface813 I agree about the backup camera, but I think they can also make people too confident when backing up sometimes.  It's still really important to check the sides and around the car before starting to backup because the cameras don't have great peripheral vision.  Most of them flash a warning on the backup screen saying just that, and I know of several people who have still hit things when backing up, even with the camera.  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• wow this is a timely conversation. MH has a 2008 Ford Escape that we are definitely going to have to replace and I drive a 2013 Mazda 5 that I really love but is too small for 2 car seats. So we are going from no car payments to 2 :( 

I'm thinking minivan for mine. Good to hear the Santa Fe has good reviews.
  • cscrzldbgcscrzldbg member
    edited November 2019
    The year #2 was born, we bought a Ford Focus. Was able to get 3 across but really had to measure car seats to find a combo that worked. So, possible for 3 but I don't recommend it as it was a cramped hassle at times.

We were given a Ford E-150 (8 seater) after #4. LOVED the back storage space. So much room and could tow, too. We travel frequently so that was great. Also made it really easy when meeting friends at the park with the kids bikes. Unfortunately, it died last year a month into MH deployment. 🤦‍♀️

We really like the E Series (so sad it is discontinued) but wanted more towing capability so we upgraded to an E-350. Also, it has 12 seats!  Unfortunately, there is no back storage area and I'm really missing that...a lot. I drove cross country and back and it worked out well. When we got home, I removed the first bench for more storage. Can I just say... I love having the kids further away! I can actually have a conversation with MH in the car. Lol.

Having the dual climate controls is really nice. Our first van had the option to allow rear flow control but the new one is only controlled from the front.

If I could blend the best features of both vans, it would be pretty close to perfect. Essentially, I need my current van in an extended version for the back storage. Oh, and with 4-wheel drive!
  • @cscrzldbg vans with 4wd can be hard to come by.  A 4wd van is pretty much my husband's dream vehicle but around here if a used one comes up for sale they are usually gone in 24 hours!  I'm happy with my Jeep, but it has no storage compared to my last SUV.  I'm thinking of getting a Thule rooftop cargo box or something for extra storage since once there is a carseat in the back seat we can't just fold all the seats down all the time.
  • MH has a pickup truck with no backseat, so that doesn’t work for a family. We’re selling his truck, he’s going to take my Subaru Impreza sedan and we just decided for sure on the Subaru Ascent. It’s the most affordable option for the features that are important to us (AWD, safety, reliability, gas mileage). I will say I’m not excited about the payment but we would rather get the family sized vehicle now instead of having to upgrade again in a few years.
  • @sunshinesea22 we love ours! Are you getting captains chairs or a bench? 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• @catem07 Captains chairs, which do you have? I figure that option is more accessible if we end up with 3 kids, just put the oldest in the back row and he/she can walk themself back there without having to try to move a seat every time we are in and out. I’m pretty excited for my “mom car” 
  • @sunshinesea22 We got captains chairs too. Keeps kids from being too close to each other haha. We got it thinking we might have 3, but after this pregnancy I think I'm good with 2. The only advantage of the bench is if you have 3 kid and need the full trunk storage room you can seat them all in the second row--but if we have 3 we will get a cargo box or something like that for car trips. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022