Baby Names
Options

Baby name Lilith

Any thoughts on the name Lilith? It sounds and looks so beautiful to me but the meaning is so dark I don’t know if I could ever truly consider it.

Lilith originated in Jewish mythology, and was the name of a dangerous demon of the night. Other websites say the name directly means “of the night”. What do you all think?

Re: Baby name Lilith

• Options
    I honestly like it. I personally don’t care about name meanings unless there’s a more recent pop culture reference that is negative. I don’t think anyone is going to go...”you named her Lilith? Do you know what that name MEANS?!” 

Lillian is super popular right now, so there may be a lot of similarly named kiddos to her if that bothers you. 
  • Options
    I'd be more concerned about associations than the meaning of a name unless the meaning has some significance to you personally. 
    I think it's cute but Lilly and Lillian are quite popular. Don't think I know a Lilith. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry but before I even opened this thread, I cringed at Lilith. I immediately associate the name with the biblical demon. It’s right up there with naming your kid Lucifer or Cain.
  • Options
    saham07saham07 member
    edited October 2019
    I like Lilia better
  • Options
    Are you Jewish? Like would it come up or create a problem culturally?

Also, I don't know if "The Devils Arithmetic" is required reading in schools anymore, but "Lilith's Cave" was not a happy place.. 
  • Options
    Sorry, can’t not associate it with the the whole demon aspect. Better off choosing another name. 
  • Options
    I had no idea of the meaning but my first association was Lilith Fair.

Honestly I don’t really like the lispy sound of it. If she doesn’t love her full name she might end up going by Lily which is very popular.
  • Options
    mercury94mercury94 member
    edited October 2019
    Am I the only one who thought of Cheers? I must be getting old. Lilith was Frasier’s wife on Cheers and she was kind of an awkward person. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Options
    @mercury94 My first thought was from Frasier. :):) 
  • Options
    Yep, Lilith Crane is always my first thought.