1st Trimester
Options

Spotting and intro

Hi mamas! 

I am a mama of 4 beautiful earth-side babies and one angel baby. My first pregnancy ended in a miscarriage at around 10 weeks.
My kids are 11, 9, 7, and almost 5. 

I just got a positive pregnancy test yesterday! But almost immediately following I noticed spotting and it has increased some since then. I’ve read that spotting can be “normal” in early pregnancy but it’s never been my experience personally. Even when I miscarried my first baby I didn’t start bleeding until days after it was discovered he/she didn’t have a heartbeat. 

So so my question is, do any of you have positive spotting stories? 😞

Thank you for welcoming me! I really hope I get to stick around with you all. 

Re: Spotting and intro

• Options
    Hi @shindylahoe It sounds like you would have a June EDD so please come join us on the June BMB. The First Tri board here is pretty quiet.

As to your questions, some spotting can be normal. It could be something as simple as an irritated cervix since there is increased blood flow to the area & it’s more sensitive. Generally, if the spotting is brown or pink & not accompanied by cramps, that’s a good sign. 

You could call your doctor’s office on Monday to schedule an initial OB appointment, explain the spotting and your concerns, and ask about doing betas where they’ll test your HCG levels a couple times, usually 48-hours apart to see if it is rising appropriately.

*TW* As for miscarriage specifically, there are a few types of early losses. One is a chemical pregnancy where the loss happens very very early. This is the kind that most people who hadn’t tested would think was just a late period. It’s also possible to miscarry naturally before you’ve been in for an initial scan. It sounds like your loss was like mine, a missed miscarriage, in which the embryo has arrested but your body didn’t get the message and kept operating as though it was a viable pregnancy. 

You might also want to confirm with your doctor under what conditions they would want you to go to the ER. So many go when they think they’re having a miscarriage and pretty much all they get out of it is a bill. If you have a negative blood type (like A-) and your partner has a positive blood type, they might try a Rhogam shot but usually there is nothing they can do to stop it. Typically, your doctor will recommend that you only go in if your health is in danger. Things like excessive bleeding, ectopic symptoms, etc.

Good luck!

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • Options
    Thanks Kiki! That’s my plan to call the doctor tomorrow morning. My bleeding has increased pretty significantly so I’m not too hopeful. 
    Maybe everything will be fine and I will get to join you on the June board soon. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I’m sorry you’re not feeling too hopeful. I have my fingers crossed for you. 

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • Options
    Sending good vibes and well wishes your way! <3